Better Graphics (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series

Jason Petho -> Better Graphics (1/3/2012 10:41:28 PM)

I have seen mention of enhancing the graphics for the Campaign Series.

This leads to some question:

1. What kind of graphics are you wanting, exactly -- provide images, if possible.

2. Is it the map graphics? The unit graphics? Or both?

3. How does using a higher bit system help?

Thank you for the answers.

Jason Petho

MrRoadrunner -> RE: Better Graphics (1/4/2012 12:17:11 AM)

Hi Jason,

I think in answer to the first question, I'd like to see the buildings made similar to the Maddox mod where he had the EF buildings to the scale of the WF buildings.
And, I think that additional individual building types might help. Maybe Mosques as well as different church types. Industrial buildings could be supplemented by new shapes. Graveyards. Railroad stations for the new rail systems? Port docks? Roman style bridges.
Different trees along the lines of the Maddox mods. Same with the mud terrain. Oasis for desert scenarios. Along with different looking desert forts.
Road blocks for cities that look like buses and cars piled together?

Unit graphics are fine as long as the outlines fit the graphic.

I'm cool with the bit system in place now. The resolution is more a matter of monitor size and choice of detail?
I'm not a computer geek so it is not a serious concern for me.

RR

junk2drive -> RE: Better Graphics (1/4/2012 12:43:09 AM)

Off the top of my pointed head, higher bit graphics would allow for better looking pictures in the unit detail box, side turn box, and menu screens. It should also allow for finer detail in 3D mode for map tiles and objects as well as units. 2D guys probably won't see much difference.

MrRoadrunner -> RE: Better Graphics (1/4/2012 10:39:55 AM)

Thanks Junk.
I play a lot in 3-D so I guess it would be helpful.
But, is it worth the time & effort for what you would get out of it?

[sm=00000436.gif]

RR

Otto von Blotto -> RE: Better Graphics (1/4/2012 5:32:51 PM)

Personally I think the graphics are fine as they are, they are perfectly serviceable in both 2D and 3D modes and a lot better than most comparable games of the time, some units could do with tidying up where the outlines don't quite match and some different background tiles wouldn't go amiss to give the designers some other designs to play with.

R_TEAM -> RE: Better Graphics (1/4/2012 7:42:40 PM)

Hi,

i think, without an basic change of the engine, the actual GFX is suitable for the game and need only little improvements and bugfixing.

Regards
R-TEAM

Bigeard -> RE: Better Graphics (1/5/2012 10:13:52 AM)

I agree that the graphics are pretty much satisfactory as they are. That said, if they can be enhanced then great, but not at the expense of efforts to develop other aspects of the game.

Huib -> RE: Better Graphics (1/5/2012 11:46:56 AM)

I would like to see more variety in buildings; windmills, large farm buildings. Also for East Front I would like to be able to choose Westfront map graphics, mainly for late war battles in Germany, East Prussia and Western Poland.

Huib

TJD -> RE: Better Graphics (1/5/2012 2:41:07 PM)

Might be interesting to poll to discover how many players use 3-D regularly. I'm stricly a 2-D player myself, so improved graphics are very low on my wish list.

Best,

Tim

MrRoadrunner -> RE: Better Graphics (1/5/2012 6:06:09 PM)

I agree with Huib totally.
Also for some desert in EF?
Get those Russians fighting the Japanese?

RR

Ashcloud -> RE: Better Graphics (1/5/2012 6:25:33 PM)

Funny, I love the 3D graphics but have sometimes felt the 2D could do with a shiny upgrade - more like TOAW. I play with both, movement and maneuver, plotting arty and such 2D - fighting 3D.

marcbarker -> RE: Better Graphics (1/5/2012 11:42:59 PM)

I would love to see way points for company levels or regiments like in some other war games. Graphics are ok, 2d could be spruced up. 3d ...uh ok but i think there is more pressing issues then graphics that need to be addressed first

Chris Bisson -> RE: Better Graphics (1/6/2012 12:59:12 AM)

I use both equally for movement and arty. I primarily do battle in 3d. So graphics are ok either way.

Hawk Kriegsman -> RE: Better Graphics (1/6/2012 2:14:43 AM)

Hello All,

I agree with Huib and Ed. More variety would be great.

Also the quality of the graphics are just fine with me.

Of course my computer turns 10 in April. [8|]

Thanx!

Hawk

jbunnelle -> RE: Better Graphics (1/6/2012 2:29:18 AM)

I agree with Ashcloud. I don't use 2D because it is way too bland. The TOAW map upgrade was a great example of doing a lot with very little; made a huge difference to me. I think both 2D and 3D changes to the terrain could be useful. Whatever TOAW did to make the map overlays blend better and be more optically appealing could be experimented with here, I think. The only thing I find visually tiring is impossible to get around, and that is the rendering of terrain in hexagon shapes.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ashcloud

Funny, I love the 3D graphics but have sometimes felt the 2D could do with a shiny upgrade - more like TOAW. I play with both, movement and maneuver, plotting arty and such 2D - fighting 3D.

Huib -> RE: Better Graphics (1/6/2012 5:17:14 PM)

Can anyone post an example of TOAW 2d representation? I'm curious.

Huib

MrRoadrunner -> RE: Better Graphics (1/6/2012 6:41:51 PM)

Herr Huib,

http://www.matrixgames.com/store/317/Norm.Koger%27s.The.Operational.Art.of.War.III

There are screenshots at the store. But, I do not remember anything but 2-D in TOAW. [&:]
Though, it's been an extremely long time since I played it ... and I am old. [8|]

RR

jbunnelle -> RE: Better Graphics (1/6/2012 11:00:55 PM)

TOAW has a 3D mode but I've never used it. It's the old Avalon Hill/SPI diehard in me. [:D] For the JTCS games I play 3D exclusively, with bases on. Seems more appropriate to the scale and the models are way better and force-specific, while TOAW's are generic.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

Herr Huib,

http://www.matrixgames.com/store/317/Norm.Koger%27s.The.Operational.Art.of.War.III

There are screenshots at the store. But, I do not remember anything but 2-D in TOAW. [&:]
Though, it's been an extremely long time since I played it ... and I am old. [8|]

RR

Deputy -> RE: Better Graphics (1/7/2012 4:38:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: barker

I would love to see way points for company levels or regiments like in some other war games. Graphics are ok, 2d could be spruced up. 3d ...uh ok but i think there is more pressing issues then graphics that need to be addressed first

Agree 100%. Before any graphics changes are made, there are other items of far more importance. Like the units that "burn up" their movement points by going back and forth in the same two hexes. I can't believe this bug that was in the earliest Talonsoft version is still present today.

Also, it seems to me that in 3D mode we used to be able to get a much closer view of the units than what we get now.

I normally use 3D mode, but I do use 2D to find the victory hexes and to locate non-combatant units that are too close to the front lines on initial placement

junk2drive -> RE: Better Graphics (1/7/2012 4:47:21 PM)

Back when you had a 15" or 17" CRT set to 640x480 or 800x600 everything was bigger on your screen. You probably have a larger screen set to at least 1024x768 and that makes you think that you used to zoom in closer.

sztartur2 -> RE: Better Graphics (1/14/2012 9:03:13 PM)

I believe the improving 3D graphics would do very good to this game. I mean for both units (Panzer Corps graphics could be used ) and terrain. For terrain the mod JTCS meets PG3D (Please overlook dunmorix manners he has done an excellent job) was a good example how to do it right. I would love to have them in vanilla CS.

Atle -> RE: Better Graphics (1/15/2012 12:15:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sztartur

I believe the improving 3D graphics would do very good to this game. I mean for both units (Panzer Corps graphics could be used ) and terrain. For terrain the mod JTCS meets PG3D (Please overlook dunmorix manners he has done an excellent job) was a good example how to do it right. I would love to have them in vanilla CS.

Please, please, please, let the Campaign Series be the Campaign Series and nothing else. Stop requesting it to be made into Panzer General or some other game it is not. I absolutely hate the PG graphics, and will not have the Campaign Series turned into that.

Keep on the good work Jason & co [:)]

sztartur2 -> RE: Better Graphics (1/15/2012 8:33:29 AM)

I was requesting a graphics update not a change in the rules at any point. Why did that mean changing to Panzer General for you?

MrRoadrunner -> RE: Better Graphics (1/15/2012 2:43:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sztartur
I was requesting a graphics update not a change in the rules at any point. Why did that mean changing to Panzer General for you?

I agree with Atle.
Panzer Corps is a hybrid of CS and PG 3-D. The 3-D in PG was awful and the combination with CS is like a Frankenstein monster. It would ruin CS in a lot of player's opinions?

If you like the Panzer Corps graphics then play Panzer Corps? [;)]

RR

Huib -> RE: Better Graphics (1/15/2012 4:59:52 PM)

Oh yes. In in non urban areas I'd like to see foxholes instead of sandbags after a unit dug in.

Huib

MrRoadrunner -> RE: Better Graphics (1/15/2012 11:16:06 PM)

What would foxholes look like?
Could we discern them as we can trenches?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being argumentative in this case, it makes sense to have something like that. But, what could they look like?

RR

Warhorse -> RE: Better Graphics (1/16/2012 2:02:11 AM)

We could replace the graphic, I did that for SPWAW, little holes in the ground with dirt piled around, would be nice to have the program use foxholes in open, sandbags in urban though!

Mike

MrRoadrunner -> RE: Better Graphics (1/16/2012 10:04:04 AM)

Mike, I do not own SPWAW. What does the graphic look like? Can you post a pic from SPWAW?
I think it would be a great addition.

RR

Ashcloud -> RE: Better Graphics (1/16/2012 11:05:55 AM)

Hi RR,

You can download it for free from matrix.

Regards,
Ashley

MrRoadrunner -> RE: Better Graphics (1/16/2012 5:16:56 PM)

Thanks Ash. [sm=Cool-609.gif]
I'll pass. I'd only be downloading it to look at hex that has a foxhole! [8|]
My time is exclusively CS. At least all my spare time! [sm=00000280.gif]

RR

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI