RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

parusski -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/29/2012 10:46:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: planner 3

For information on Salted or Unsalted....The Salted variety was for long term preservation and used by Naval Personell exclusively, while the Un-salted was utilized for civilian consumption, (no not the disease), and has a very short shelf life, which explains why you have trouble finding same at a movie theatre. These excerpts are from "Principles of Peanut Brittle" by Babar the Elephant. (copywrited)

Warspite1

planner 3, I do not wish to undermine Babar - I am an admirer of his works afterall - but I think he is barking up the wrong tree here. The Royal Navy never used PB for eating. PB was only put aboard ship for the explicit use of firing at the enemy. When fired in conjunction with a cannon ball, the PB would cause carnage amongst French sailors. For sure, the cannon ball did most damage, but almost certainly the PB probably helped with the general melee and confusion too. From Ambroses' 1978 blockbuster: Peanut Brittle; Never Mind The Cannon; Its The Peanut Brittle:

"The Royal Navy never used PB for eating. PB was only put aboard ship for the explicit use of firing at the enemy. When fired in conjunction with a cannon ball, the PB would cause carnage amongst French sailors. For sure, the cannon ball did most damage, but almost certainly the PB probably helped with the general melee and confusion too."

There, that's all the proof you need Babar.

I should only get small credit for starting this thread. warspite1 you are bringing so many unknown facts about PB to this gaming community that Matrix forum members should be grateful. XD!

That PB is most deadly, but at the same time it is a miracle drug.

warspite1 -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/29/2012 10:48:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

Another amazing fact!! I have followed Formula 1 Motor Racing properly since 1982 and I never knew this:

Since crash helmets were first introduced into the sport, they have all been made from Peanut Brittle (not Brazilian for obvious reasons). [X(] One of the biggest problems has always been drivers getting hungry during a race. There have been instances where a driver has actually eaten part of his helmet during long races!

According to Ambroses' 2001 bestseller: Peanut Brittle the F1 years, this is the reason that one of the main questions asked of a prospective driver by a team owner during the interview process is "Do you have a sweet tooth?". A driver that says yes is unlikely to get a drive, a) because he might generally get too fat and thus not be able to fit in the car, and b) it is very distracting trying to eat your own crash helmet while heading towards the Parabolica at 200mph [:-]. Yet another scarcely believable fact from the world of Peanut Brittle

Sometimes I forget about the humour where Peanut Brittle is concerned. I have seen some post F1 race interviews and was amazed at the size of most of the drivers. The lack of teeth is also distracting. XD!

warspite1, do you read anything other than Ambrose? XD!
Warspite1

Steiner, I had never heard of Ambrose or indeed Peanut Brittle until a few days ago. It was only you starting up the thread that led me down this path. I cannot believe what a fascinating subject it is - on so many levels one just gets immersed in the sheer breadth of scope. F1, Louisiana trailer trash, the start of WWII, the sinking of the Wasa, its all here. I thought WWII was interesting until I came across Ambrose and read all 437 books in the space of 36 hours.

So thank-you Steiner for the enlightenment [sm=00000436.gif]

parusski -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/29/2012 11:07:24 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Another amazing fact!! I have followed Formula 1 Motor Racing properly since 1982 and I never knew this:

Since crash helmets were first introduced into the sport, they have all been made from Peanut Brittle (not Brazilian for obvious reasons). [X(] One of the biggest problems has always been drivers getting hungry during a race. There have been instances where a driver has actually eaten part of his helmet during long races!

According to Ambroses' 2001 bestseller: Peanut Brittle the F1 years, this is the reason that one of the main questions asked of a prospective driver by a team owner during the interview process is "Do you have a sweet tooth?". A driver that says yes is unlikely to get a drive, a) because he might generally get too fat and thus not be able to fit in the car, and b) it is very distracting trying to eat your own crash helmet while heading towards the Parabolica at 200mph [:-]. Yet another scarcely believable fact from the world of Peanut Brittle

Sometimes I forget about the humour where Peanut Brittle is concerned. I have seen some post F1 race interviews and was amazed at the size of most of the drivers. The lack of teeth is also distracting. XD!

Warspite1

Steiner, I had never heard of Ambrose or indeed Peanut Brittle until a few days ago. It was only you starting up the thread that led me down this path. I cannot believe what a fascinating subject it is - on so many levels one just gets immersed in the sheer breadth of scope. F1, Louisiana trailer trash, the start of WWII, the sinking of the Wasa, its all here. I thought WWII was interesting until I came across Ambrose and read all 437 books in the space of 36 hours.

Thanks for recognizing my genius. PB is amazing. XD!

The facts you mentioned are just a scratch on the piece of Peanut Brittle this earth's core is made of. XD! I have read all the books by Ambrose too. You really should branch out now and read books about Peanut Brittle by the following authors:

St. Paul
St. Matthew
St. Luke

Herodotus
Churchill
Xenophon
Bruce Catton
Julius Ceasar
David McCollough
Helmold of Bosau
Ian Wilson
John Davies
Gaius Cornelius Tacitus
Gregory of Tours
David Hume
Voltaire
B. H. Liddell Hart
Theodore Roosevelt
Vasily Klyuchevsky
Andrew Roberts
William Manchester
Jacques Barzun

Dean Koontz
Stephen King
James A. Michener
Agatha Christie
Ruth Rendell
Elizabeth George
Neil Gaiman
Ken Follett
Mo Hayder
Andy McDermott

XD
Those are just a few of the authors with books available at your local booksellers. XD!

warspite1 -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/29/2012 11:12:13 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Thanks for recognizing my genius. PB is amazing. XD!

The facts you mentioned are just a scratch on the piece of Peanut Brittle this earth's core is made of. XD! I have read all the books by Ambrose too. You really should branch out now and read books about Peanut Brittle by the following authors:

St. Paul
St. Matthew
St. Luke

Herodotus
Churchill
Xenophon
Bruce Catton
Julius Ceasar
David McCollough
Helmold of Bosau
Ian Wilson
John Davies
Gaius Cornelius Tacitus
Gregory of Tours
David Hume
Voltaire
B. H. Liddell Hart
Theodore Roosevelt
Vasily Klyuchevsky
Andrew Roberts
William Manchester
Jacques Barzun

Dean Koontz
Stephen King
James A. Michener
Agatha Christie
Ruth Rendell
Elizabeth George
Neil Gaiman
Ken Follett
Mo Hayder
Andy McDermott

XD
Those are just a few of the authors with books available at your local booksellers. XD!

Warspite1

Will do, but what about:

Didn't St John write about PB?
What about Katie Price aka Jordan - I thought she was looking at PB and the connection with Einstein's theory of relativity?
Kim Kardashian's wrote someting too (although that may have just been her name - well one baby step at a time eh?)

parusski -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/29/2012 11:16:56 PM)

You are correct sir. XD!
Katie Price is looking at the connection with Einstein. At this point Price is not sure whether PB has some quantifiable effect on the ToR or whether Einstein was abusing BPB and his entire theory was stoner talk.

Kim Kardashian has been accused by friends of abusing BPB. XD!

warspite1 -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/30/2012 9:28:19 PM)

Steiner on the 25th January how old was Peanut Brittle?

parusski -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/30/2012 10:45:53 PM)

quote:

Hawking, in his respected tome - Peanut Brittle, Present at the Beginning of the Universe!, states PB is around 15 billion years old.

xiaotuanzi -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/31/2012 6:17:13 AM)

I propose that once parusski reaches his 1,000 post he refrain from posting by no less than 1 year.

warspite1 -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/31/2012 9:34:56 PM)

quote:

quote:

Hawking, in his respected tome - Peanut Brittle, Present at the Beginning of the Universe!, states PB is around 15 billion years old.
Warspite1

Interesting... When the Sun dies in 6 billion years time in a giant ball of flame and takes the earth with it, will Peanut Brittle survive?

I suspect the answer is yes; if so, why don't they make black box flight recorders out of PB - or better still, the planes themselves?

Just a thought.....

parusski -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/31/2012 9:47:00 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Interesting... When the Sun dies in 6 billion years time in a giant ball of flame and takes the earth with it, will Peanut Brittle survive?

I suspect the answer is yes; if so, why don't they make black box flight recorders out of PB - or better still, the planes themselves?

Just a thought.....

Of course PB will survive. I am also disappointed that you seem unaware that the United States uses Peanut Brittle for black boxes. What the hell else could account for the indestructibility of those things?

In JFK's plan for American Invincibility, Jacques Barzun writes - "John F. Kennedy had just ordered all U.S. military and civilian aircraft be constructed of Peanut Brittle, beginning upon his return from Dallas. However, he had not officially signed the Presidential executive order before leaving for the Dallas bar-b-que eating vacation" hence the changeover was never made. Strange how history can change on a dime, or bullet.

warspite1 -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/31/2012 9:52:35 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Just a thought.....

Of course PB will survive. I am also disappointed that you seem unaware that the United States uses Peanut Brittle for black boxes. What the hell else could account for the indestructibility of those things?

In JFK's plan for American Invincibility, Jacques Barzun writes - "John F. Kennedy had just ordered all U.S. military and civilian aircraft be constructed of Peanut Brittle, beginning upon his return from Dallas. However, he had not officially signed the Presidential executive order before leaving for the Dallas bar-b-que eating vacation" hence the changeover was never made. Strange how history can change on a dime, or bullet.

Warspite1

The black boxes cannot be made from PB, otherwise some would survive their accidents - which they do not all do [:-]

Strange Fact: the oft mentioned Dallas grassy knoll was in fact made of artificial grass using a PB / Mushy Pea composite.

parusski -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/31/2012 9:54:30 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Just a thought.....

Warspite1

The black boxes cannot be made from PB, otherwise some would survive their accidents - which they do not all do [:-]

Strange Fact: the oft mentioned Dallas grassy knoll was in fact made of artificial grass using a PB / Mushy Pea composite.

Ahem. They do survive, but some are spirited away by the CIA.[:-]

Yeah, I heard about the PBMP composite. It is believed the shooter on the knoll ate the BPB said knoll while waiting for the Presidential motorcade.

Orm -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/31/2012 10:04:30 PM)

I am not infected by BPB. I have The Time! I am losing time. I might have other symptoms of The Time as well. Maybe I am delirious so I dare not speak any more about trees or BPB untill I am cured of The Time.

parusski -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/31/2012 10:07:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I am not infected by BPB. I have The Time! I am losing time. I might have other symptoms of The Time as well. Maybe I am delirious so I dare not speak any more about trees or BPB untill I am cured of The Time.

Ahhh, more symptoms. One, repeating certain words(The Time/The Time) in a mantra like fashion and two, insisting you will not talk about something, but then proceeding to do so(trees/BPB)!

warspite1 -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/31/2012 10:21:23 PM)

quote:

quote:

Ahhh, more symptoms. One, repeating certain words(The Time/The Time) in a mantra like fashion and two, insisting you will not talk about something, but then proceeding to do so(trees/BPB)!
Warspite1

Yes, this is not sounding good is it? But fear not I'm almost there...oh damn I've just taken a wrong turning and am heading west into Norway. The road signs round here are rubbish, why aren't they written in English?

parusski -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (1/31/2012 10:49:01 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Yes, this is not sounding good is it? But fear not I'm almost there...oh damn I've just taken a wrong turning and am heading west into Norway. The road signs round here are rubbish, why aren't they written in English?

The road signs are not written in sane English because the rulers of Norway are on BPB.

warspite1 -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (2/1/2012 7:15:04 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

The road signs are not written in sane English because the rulers of Norway are on BPB.
Warspite1

Yeah, same as Sweden - it's just madness. Not having road signs written in English is just plain stooooopid, not to mention dangerous.

parusski -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (2/1/2012 3:26:28 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Yeah, same as Sweden - it's just madness. Not having road signs written in English is just plain stooooopid, not to mention dangerous.

Well what do you expect in a nation that gave the world Ivor Thord-Gray, the brilliant soldier who sided and fought with Pancho Villa.

warspite1 -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (2/1/2012 7:26:25 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Well what do you expect in a nation that gave the world Ivor Thord-Gray, the brilliant soldier who sided and fought with Pancho Villa.
Warspite1

Eh? Norway or Sweden - and is that a made up name? Anything starting with Ivor should be a joke, but if it is then I don't get it. Am I being slow?

Orm -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (2/1/2012 7:34:29 PM)

quote:

Eh? Norway or Sweden - and is that a made up name? Anything starting with Ivor should be a joke, but if it is then I don't get it. Am I being slow?

No. You are not slow. But your education needs a slight improvement. You can read up on Thord-Gray on the wiki page I link to at the end. And he can't be a joke since he fought for the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers during WWI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_Thord-Gray

warspite1 -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (2/1/2012 7:42:00 PM)

quote:

quote:

No. You are not slow. But your education needs a slight improvement. You can read up on Thord-Gray on the wiki page I link to at the end. And he can't be a joke since he fought for the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers during WWI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_Thord-Gray
Warspite1

Wow, what a life!! Thanks for the link Orm.

parusski -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (2/1/2012 7:43:01 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Warspite1

Norway, Sweden, Finland---all the same. Read Orms link.

Long live PB.

parusski -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (2/1/2012 8:17:03 PM)

On this day:

Feb 01, 1884 Oxford Dictionary debuts with Peanut Brittle being the first and only word in that edition.

warspite1 -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (2/1/2012 8:19:33 PM)

quote:

On this day:

Feb 01, 1884 Oxford Dictionary debuts with Peanut Brittle being the first and only word in that edition.
Warspite1

[:)]

What was the definition they used?

parusski -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (2/1/2012 8:25:08 PM)

quote:

quote:

On this day:

Warspite1

[:)]

What was the definition they used?

"1. Brittle is a type of confection, consisting of flat broken pieces of hard sugar candy embedded with nuts such as pecans, almonds, or peanuts. 2. Considered a miracle drug, Britain uses to fight scurvy. 3. Type of metal considered unbreakable. 4. Classified military weapon. 5. Biblical plague substance. 6. Mana from the Christian GOD. 7. Fertilizer. 8. Precious metal. 9. Hallucinogen. FUTURE EDITIONS WILL HAVE MORE SPACE..."

warspite1 -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (2/1/2012 8:45:36 PM)

Pop quiz:

The 1885 version featured an additional word alongside Peanut Brittle.

But what was it, and what was the definition used.

parusski -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (2/1/2012 9:53:08 PM)

quote:

Pop quiz:

Darn, my 1885 edition can't be opened, all the pages are stuck together with a brown substance mixed with peanuts.

warspite1 -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (2/1/2012 9:59:26 PM)

quote:

quote:

Pop quiz:

Darn, my 1885 edition can't be opened, all the pages are stuck together with a brown substance mixed with peanuts.
Warspite1

Aha! In order to boost sales of the 1885 version (bearing in mind the disappointing debut containing just one word) the publishers did two things;

a) they increased the wordage by 100% i.e. they added a second word
b) they gave every purchaser a free gift - a slab of Peanut Brittle.

Looks like your slab was never taken out of the book and it has subsequently melted...

Unlucky Steiner because had it not melted and been in mint condition, the book would have been worth $4.3m (based on what I auctioned my version for last week at Christies).

parusski -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (2/1/2012 10:02:35 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Pop quiz:

Warspite1

Aha! In order to boost sales of the 1885 version (bearing in mind the disappointing debut containing just one word) the publishers did two things;

Looks like your slab was never taken out of the book and it has subsequently melted...

Unlucky Steiner because had it not melted and been in mint condition, the book would have been worth $4.3m (based on what I auctioned my version for last week at Christies).

AAAHH, that is one amazing post. Since we share a great love and knowledge of PB any chance you will buy me a 12th anniversary gift on May 9, 2012?

warspite1 -> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day (2/1/2012 10:07:15 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Pop quiz:

Warspite1

AAAHH, that is one amazing post. Since we share a great love and knowledge of PB any chance you will buy me a 12th anniversary gift on May 9, 2012?
Warspite1

What sort of gift? What is the 12th anniversary? It's not an expensive one is it? Paper? cotton?

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI