Confession of an Addict (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

FDRLincoln -> Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 1:34:16 AM)

I had been away from the game for a long time, a couple of years.

I'm back now, and hooked again.

I have one PBEM going. I find myself plotting strategy for HOURS each day. Even when I should be working. Even when I am doing other things like taking the kids to school. Some part of me is always thinking about this game. I check my email several times a day to see if the next turn has arrived. When the turn is later than normal, I go into withdrawal and start thinking about finding an opponent to play a PBEM War Plan Orange game.

My name is John, and I am an AE addict.

Is there any help for me?

Itdepends -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 2:15:57 AM)

Half the problem is admitting you have a problem. Unfortunately there is no cure. Forget you have a problem and glory in the addiction that is AE.

dorjun driver -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 2:59:37 AM)

Nope. You're doomed.

USSAmerica -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 4:11:00 AM)

A big screen computer monitor will help. [:)]

Knavey -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 4:20:57 AM)

Addicted since UV...played Pac War but was a break in there where I "recovered". Fell off the wagon (thanks Feinder) with UV and have not even tried therapy since. [:D]

Footslogger -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 5:29:44 AM)

Sounds like Obessive Compulsive Disorder. Do you also have dreams that pertain to the game?

This may help

Its a different game but the same concept http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRNsv69_tmg

Kubel -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 6:59:39 AM)

I'm on meds ... it doesn't help [sm=Crazy-1271.gif][sm=00000436.gif]

PaxMondo -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 10:37:03 AM)

Drink heavily.  I do.  Doesn't help, but feels better.  [:D]

[sm=00000436.gif]

USSAmerica -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 12:02:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

Sounds like Obessive Compulsive Disorder. Do you also have dreams that pertain to the game?

This may help

Its a different game but the same concept http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRNsv69_tmg

Great video! [:D]

ny59giants -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 3:20:38 PM)

Pax - Don't drink and give orders. [:-][:-] Did that once and it wasn't pretty. [X(]

jeffk3510 -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 3:43:49 PM)

No John there isnt...remember this is Kansas afterall... glad to see more from this glorious state!

PaxMondo -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 4:49:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Pax - Don't drink and give orders. [:-][:-] Did that once and it wasn't pretty. [X(]

Ach ... what's a little Laphroaig?

Besides, AI is kicking my butt so bad right now in China, I need an excuse. [:D][:D][:D]

And Andy is gonna improve it! OMG. [&o][&o][&o]

bradfordkay -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 5:28:56 PM)

The best thing is that those of us addicted to this game should be able to avoid senility. Studies suggest that playing games that make you think can help prevent the onset of senility - and we'll all be playing this game for ages to come!

Cap Mandrake -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 7:41:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

The best thing is that those of us addicted to this game should be able to avoid senility. Studies suggest that playing games that make you think can help prevent the onset of senility - and we'll all be playing this game for ages to come!

Well said, sir. Also, don't forget that....ummmm...oh damnit...I had something else to say. I'll get back to yu.

Mac Linehan -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 8:16:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: FDRLincoln

I had been away from the game for a long time, a couple of years.

I'm back now, and hooked again.

I have one PBEM going. I find myself plotting strategy for HOURS each day. Even when I should be working. Even when I am doing other things like taking the kids to school. Some part of me is always thinking about this game. I check my email several times a day to see if the next turn has arrived. When the turn is later than normal, I go into withdrawal and start thinking about finding an opponent to play a PBEM War Plan Orange game.

My name is John, and I am an AE addict.

Is there any help for me?

John -

Welcome Back! I, as with most others on this forum am also addicted to AE. In my case, firing up the computer is weekends only, so at least I am well rested by Friday Night when Life Begins at 1730.

It never hurts to take a break every now and then; as you will find that your enthusiasm and excitement are renewed upon restarting AE again, refreshed and ready to rock and roll.

As far as thinking about AE during our normal work day - I made a conscious decision to focus on driving when my school bus is loaded with children and in motion - as I should; but once parked, empty and waiting (for a period of time), I will continue to plan the amphibious invasion of Miri and Brunei... <grin>

Mac

Yaab -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 9:13:39 PM)

I was an addict too. Last year I played a lot, about 5-7 hours a day, for about two months, after surgery. What helped me is I run WITP:AE on my laptop and even though I have enough RAM, every time I play the game the fan starts working louder than usual after 5-10 minutes of gameplay. After a few hours of play I call it a day and exit the game. Right now I mostly read about WITP:AE. 

Footslogger -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/25/2012 10:15:54 PM)

One thought that concerned me was wondering if my computer was gonna crash; right in the middle of a turn. [:(][sm=dizzy.gif][sm=Christo_pull_hair.gif]

I had all kinds of temperature sensors and fan speeds.

It took me one month to get over the vanilla version of the game.

admgrraven -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/27/2012 2:42:38 PM)

As John's opponent I've got to say I'm addicted as well. I've been playing since War in the South Pacific from SSI. When UV came out I thought I had died and went to heaven. This WiTP came out and I knew then that this was Heaven. Now that AE has entrapped me I have no hope of recovery nor do I wish to be saved from this wonderful addiction.

My name is Michael and I am a AE-aholic
[:)]

Empire101 -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/27/2012 4:15:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bakerman

As John's opponent I've got to say I'm addicted as well. I've been playing since War in the South Pacific from SSI. When UV came out I thought I had died and went to heaven. This WiTP came out and I knew then that this was Heaven. Now that AE has entrapped me I have no hope of recovery nor do I wish to be saved from this wonderful addiction.

My name is Michael and I am a AE-aholic
[:)]

Now is'nt that the truth!! I'm in the same boat Bakerman. My regular opponent is my long suffering brother, but if our schedules don't match up and I'm waiting for a turn I have a sideline GC against the AI, just to give me that extra fix [sm=party-smiley-012.gif]

MikeS4269 -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/28/2012 4:29:09 AM)

I just was pulled back (quite willingly) into the game by MichaelU.

Last Wednesday, my second daughter arrived into this world. We named her Dawn.

Last Saturday, my new laptop came into this world. We named her Rose.

I paid $1000 for a machine simply so I could play WitP AE on the go. (Home gets a little hectic with infants and toddlers around!) I had been sitting on the fence for ONE YEAR as to whether to get a laptop or not. The moment WitP AE time was threatened at home, I ran to the store even as my newborn was being placed in her Moses basket.

Does that make me an addict?

Torplexed -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/28/2012 5:11:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lb4269

I just was pulled back (quite willingly) into the game by MichaelU.

Last Wednesday, my second daughter arrived into this world. We named her Dawn.

Last Saturday, my new laptop came into this world. We named her Rose.

I paid $1000 for a machine simply so I could play WitP AE on the go. (Home gets a little hectic with infants and toddlers around!) I had been sitting on the fence for ONE YEAR as to whether to get a laptop or not. The moment WitP AE time was threatened at home, I ran to the store even as my newborn was being placed in her Moses basket.

Does that make me an addict?

You named your daughter Dawn. That's a good sign. If you had named her Darwin then I'd say it's time to seek counseling. [:D]

nashvillen -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/28/2012 5:15:25 AM)

Or, you can just use this at work...

[image]http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/nashvillen/IMG_20120227_155350.jpg[/image]

Not really, but was prepping for a meeting and just threw this up to see what it would look like!

FDRLincoln -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/28/2012 3:34:53 PM)

Nashvillen: I see you also share an interest in my other Great Obsession: the Star Fleet Universe.

Klingon B-10 Battleship....the Yamato of the Milky Way Galaxy...

nashvillen -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/28/2012 4:08:28 PM)

FDRLincoln: Yup, big SFU guy from 1982 at Oklahoma State University. Now on staff with F&E and FC. Part of BattleLab Murfreesboro. Although, WITP:AE has distracted me somewhat from my duties there!

FDRLincoln -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/28/2012 4:14:04 PM)

Nashvillen: I'm on the SFU staff, too....SFB and Prime Directive. Had some fiction published in Captain's Log. But...well, AE is distracting me too! lol

Canoerebel -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/28/2012 4:39:07 PM)

I'm glad I'm not addicted to AE....

[sm=innocent0009.gif]

nashvillen -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/28/2012 5:11:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: FDRLincoln

Nashvillen: I'm on the SFU staff, too....SFB and Prime Directive. Had some fiction published in Captain's Log. But...well, AE is distracting me too! lol

Then there are three of us here. rjopel is not hard to figure out. I am M Curtis.

FDRLincoln -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/28/2012 6:21:07 PM)

J Sickels here

Rising-Sun -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/28/2012 6:34:53 PM)

Well FDR, it been awhile since i mess with WitP:AE and back in there again. What part of Kansas is Lawrence you live in? I used to live in Liberal, KS, its far south-west corner of CO/OK state lines.

nashvillen -> RE: Confession of an Addict (2/28/2012 6:49:19 PM)

I figured with the Lawrence KS location, Nice to see you here, Sir!

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI