RE: Going Coastal (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

JeffroK -> RE: Going Coastal (11/16/2012 4:51:48 AM)

Allied intel is much overrated.
Lots of useless info, very occasional snippets that are useful.

Not unlike real life intel.

JocMeister -> RE: Going Coastal (11/16/2012 9:26:35 AM)

Like JeffK I have found the allied intel to be very much overrated.

PaxMondo -> RE: Going Coastal (11/16/2012 1:10:44 PM)

Hehehe.  If you think allied intel is overrated, you need to spend some time on the other side.  [;)]

If you are lucky, you can detect some radio transmission at some hex in your turn.  Sometimes, the hex is correct! [:'(]

Q-Ball -> RE: Going Coastal (11/17/2012 2:58:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

No question....it's not the end-all it's cracked up to be. But better than Japanese; I stopped even bothering with that

10-18 to 10-24

Still quiet at the moment; I am moving troops into position, and banging drums to create noise.

I launched the largest air raid to date on PORT MORESBY; we sank a ship in the harbor, but didn't do perm damage. The point of this was really just to affix some attention to this coast of Australia.

We also have several other operations approaching active. The purpose of these are more quick-hits along the Imperial perimeter, to stretch out air resources and create confusion. Hopefully it works.

China:

An attack at Kweiyang dropped forts to 3; this was the first crack in a month, and might be the first domino to fall around China. If this place goes, I'm in serious trouble again.

Long-term, the only thing that can save China, I think, is forcing him to move troops from China to defend the perimeter

PaxMondo -> RE: Going Coastal (11/17/2012 6:55:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Long-term, the only thing that can save China, I think, is forcing him to move troops from China to defend the perimeter

Or relief via Burma .... you still control Kunming and the mountains, correct?

Q-Ball -> RE: Going Coastal (11/18/2012 2:34:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

Or relief via Burma .... you still control Kunming and the mountains, correct?

I do....and if Central China is overrun, I plan to at least keep the mountain redoubt going via air supply. We'll see how it goes.

10-25-42 to 10-30-42

Broome Invaded:

We landed at and took Broome, and it went about as smooth as it could go.

IJN Torpedo bombers sortied from Koepang, but the results were pretty dismal for the IJN: Something like 30 Zeros and 10 bombers shot down over 2 turns, with only 1 bomb hit. Alot of his planes didn't use torpedos, but used bombs instead. Why? I think Greyjoy would like to know, he said he had plenty of torps available for everyone.

So, mostly our P-38s, which were flying LRCAP from Port Hedland, racked up a bunch of kills. I know the P-47 is the real killer, but P-38s eat Zeros for breakfast, that's for sure.

I landed the 6th Australian Division on Broome, and the defenders were just base troops; overkill obviously. I also observed a large convoy at Darwin. I think he's basically abandoning Australia, and leaving it to me. He also just found out the 6th Australian Division was moved from India.

Anyway, we also dropped paras on Nookanbah (the Marine Paras), and we are marching overland for Derby, which I expect to fall easily.

Based on all this, an Aus Cav Bde left Tennant Creek for the north. I think I'll find Daly Waters empty.

Horn Is.:

This is the next target; shippping is gathering at Townsville. It's defeded by a single SNLF unit, that's it, so should fall easily to the 2 KIWI Bdes I have prepped for it. Once that falls, I am moving ships to Normantown, and will occupy Gove, prior to a move on Darwin.

China:

Kweiyang falls; this is very bad news! This means I will be down to 1 final hex before he breaks into the plains. Once that happens, it will be down to a siege of Chungking. Yikes!

The final act in China is approaching....

Where is the IJN?

I found a piece of it anyway; see below. There are alot of ships at Rabaul! Still no sign of KB, though. I'll probably find out that only the hard way (or easy way)

[image]local://upfiles/6931/BBAC7752A0B244F4BAF27676AFE496BF.jpg[/image]

PaxMondo -> RE: Going Coastal (11/18/2012 4:22:40 AM)

Depending upon your OZ div dispositions, you will likely be able to relieve Burma in the near future.  Your fighter strengths should be moving up.  Granted, taking Burma without control of the IO is tough, but it is doable.  Once you take a base or two (Myitkyina, Schwebo ...) in North Burma .... [;)]

Q-Ball -> RE: Going Coastal (11/20/2012 3:59:16 AM)

quote:

Depending upon your OZ div dispositions, you will likely be able to relieve Burma in the near future.  Your fighter strengths should be moving up.  Granted, taking Burma without control of the IO is tough, but it is doable.  Once you take a base or two (Myitkyina, Schwebo ...) in North Burma .... [;)]

We'll see...I have moved the Australian troops from OZ, along with 2nd UK. I have bigger plans. The Burma front is all Indian and Chinese. I even took out a LRP Bde, which are good troops.

10-30-42 to 11-3-42:

Getting into position for the next two moves, beyond Burma. Here is a shot of China:

[image]local://upfiles/6931/A8A6AC28E9A743B8BF9CD03AF470ECE7.jpg[/image]

JeffroK -> RE: Going Coastal (11/20/2012 10:05:11 AM)

I love how AAR's dry up when something is in the wind, you should keep up the post count just to make GJ worry!

PaxMondo -> RE: Going Coastal (11/20/2012 10:51:40 AM)

quote:

I have bigger plans.

Ahhh ... now that's interesting. Since you're not stating, I won't ask, but I will certainly speculate on my own and sit back and watch.

[sm=00000613.gif]

Q-Ball -> RE: Going Coastal (11/21/2012 3:07:46 AM)

10-4-42 to 10-6-42:

Wow! Both my readers are riveted![:D] Greyjoy gets a ton more hits than I do, so he will always win the AAR wars.

Burma:

Over 2 days, Greyjoy got the better of me in the air over Burma, shooting down over 100 Allied A/C for maybe 20 of his guys. Ouch!

GJ I think stopped way too early on his advance, but one thing he is very good at is massing his airpower; the key points have tons of guys, and he doesn't take any unecessary chances. He is very conservative, and makes me come to him, which means I get pummelled at this point when I do.

The other problem in Burma is that I am using older planes there, because I am savings P-38s and P-40Ks for more important fronts. Still, getting it handed to me here.....

Arorae:

This is move #1; not even a contested landing, just dropping-off enough guys and supplies to build an annoying airbase. This airstrip will give me cover to take Tabiteua. This isn't the main axis of advance, but I want to be able to slowly move up here to keep pressure on,while the main event is elsewhere.

[image]local://upfiles/6931/7609DABB34AC416F9D5BE8F069171CCE.jpg[/image]

PaxMondo -> RE: Going Coastal (11/21/2012 3:26:11 AM)

[sm=00000613.gif]

Chickenboy -> RE: Going Coastal (11/21/2012 3:36:52 AM)

quote:

quote:

We'll see...I have moved the Australian troops from OZ, along with 2nd UK. I have bigger plans. The Burma front is all Indian and Chinese. I even took out a LRP Bde, which are good troops.

10-30-42 to 11-3-42:

Getting into position for the next two moves, beyond Burma. Here is a shot of China:

[image]local://upfiles/6931/A8A6AC28E9A743B8BF9CD03AF470ECE7.jpg[/image]

Hi Q-ball. Make that three readers, I was just out of town for a few days. [8D]

RTA cav. near Myitkyina? Do you guys have HRs on the use of restricted troops outside of national boundaries?

Chickenboy -> RE: Going Coastal (11/21/2012 3:38:58 AM)

Hey-making him lose 45 trained TB aircrew and their pilots is *already* worth Arorae's effort. Pinprick bleeds is the downfall of the IJ. Keep it up. [:)]

PaxMondo -> RE: Going Coastal (11/21/2012 10:31:35 AM)

1Nov42 and you still hold the CHI plain, given your start there ... really good.  In fact, with hindsight, I see it as a really good sucker plan.  I know I would fall for it.  Feint a forward defense and then withdraw.  Granted, not your original intent (or was it?  [;)])  And you are threatening Myitkyina.  [:)]  And you are starting to move on the Gilberts.[:)]  Plus your secret attack point.  [8D]  And GJ is still bogged down in China, using up his VEH pts in attacking Kweiyang.  Nice.

You get F4U's soon, F6F's to follow and your P40K's are ramping up.  Yep, tide is turning and fast.

I think the CHI theatre is going to be the 'Eastern Front' for the IJ in this game, a complete disaster.  He's totally committed, but its getting so late, even if he takes Chungking which isn't all that likely, he's going to be burned where he can't afford it.  I think that the Allies will be in Formosa (or whereever you want to stage from) in '43, not '44.  Haven't watched from the allied side in a long time.  Nice watching.  Thanks.

Capt. Harlock -> RE: Going Coastal (11/21/2012 8:43:31 PM)

I don't suppose the "bigger plans" you mentioned have anything to do with your "peek and then skedaddle" move with the CV's? [;)]

In Burma, how is your Spitfire production coming along? 5:1 A2A losses are certainly not what you want if there is to be a successful counter-offensive.

Q-Ball -> RE: Going Coastal (11/22/2012 1:48:03 PM)

Pax, not sure I share your optimism on China; it's going downhill pretty fast now, and I think he'll be able to close it out and start moving troops sooner than I would like. I also don't think Burma is going to do much for me.

I am optimistic, though, elsewhere in the Pacific, where I am in great position to really cause problems down the road

Chickenboy, RE: RTA, we do have a HR. Greyjoy misunderstood it initially, and I'm OK with the RTA there, and told him that. They aren't that good in the end, and have no replacements. They also disappear in mid-'44. But it does help him in Burma.

11-5-42 to 11-11-42:

Horn Island: We invaded Horn Island. Everything went smooth, as Greyjoy didn't contest in the air (I had ALOT of fighters on LRCAP out of Portland Roads), and he must have been flying out the defenders. We landed 2 Brigades of Kiwis, plus some US Tanks. It was plenty.

This opens up alot of possibilities. While he can observe anything going through the Torres Strait, I can get shipping into the Gulf of Carpentaria pretty easily, provided I CAP it from Portland Roads, etc. I have the fighters, so between that and coastal settings, I am moving some shipping into the Gulf.

I've been building Normantown's port, so we can use that as a base. I plan to land troops at Merauke, which is lighly defended, then Gove, which can be built into a large base, then Darwin. This opens up an advance toward Ambon; not sure I'll do that, but it's another axis he has to defend, so that's a good thing.

Only problem is that I really can't bring CVs in the Gulf yet, because they would be observed for sure, and might be a tempting shot. I willl move a cruiser squadron though to provide some surface support for these landings.

Arorae:

After 2 days of attacks, he stopped; we have unloaded all we want to, and the airstrip should be operational soon. We lost 2 transports, an APD, and PC on this move, no big deal.

The CVs have left the area, and are moving to Sydney, to await further developments.

Burma:

My offensive is not going well so far. I will reach Warazup with 50,000 guys and lots of tanks, but he has reinforced it. Even worse, upriver I accidently crossed with an Indian Division that was completely mauled. I was just feinting, and that unit was one of the weakest ones (still had the '41 Indian Squads, and was not full strength). Ouch!

I have Akyab invested, but I think the garrison is large enough to hold me off. Same with Warazup. And my supply situation stinks.

I don't anticipate a breakthrough in Burma. I've pulled some of my best units for elsewhere, and he has ALOT of units there; at least 9 IJA divisions, plus the RTA, and at least 300 fighters.

I'll keep pushing though, because I want to make him commit there

Indian Ocean:

Greyjoy pulled off a mid-ocean intercept in the IO of one of my convoys moving b/w India and Oz. Nice job on his part, I always have trouble with those! MOGAMI and friends wasted every ship.

Thankfully, it was a smaller convoy of 6 TKs. Only 3 days before, that area was transited by a larger convoy carrying 2nd UK. THAT would have been bad!

I need to run convoys closer to the map edge, that was pretty slick of him

Australia:

Derby is lightly defended, and will fall as soon as the 6th Aus Div can get there from Broome. I think he's leaving Australia; I have a single brigade moving toward Daly Waters, which has only a single unit. I don't think there is much at Darwin either.

Imperial Defenses:

A pattern is emerging on GJ's defenses.

His game so far is much less aggressive than I play the Empire. That's good and bad; the bad is that I am much closer to the heart of the Empire than I would like my Allied opponent to be at this stage, particularly in Australia.

On the other hand, his losses have been very light, and I am now reaching the "hard" perimeter. Everything so far, like the Aleutians and Horn Is, has felt like just speed bumps, but the next moves will run into real fighting. He has built networks of airbases that likely have Air HQs, has hoarded his best air units well. Greyjoy handles his planes very well tactically, in fact he's beating me there so far. All in all, he has a very good air plan, and that coupled with all the extra planes you get in Scen 2 means I will have a very rough time with major landings, that will include heavy losses.

Bases that are obvious targets are all well defended; no weaknesses there. Kido Butai is untouched, and remains formidable.

It's going to be tough......

Naval Situation:

To recap, Greyjoy's losses so far have been relatively light; he's lost 2 CAs, 1 CL, and about 20 DDs. The CAs hurt, and you always need more DDs, but no CVs in there.

I've lost 15 cruisers; that sounds bad, but scratch the surface, and it really isn't. Only 3-4 of those are modern ones, there are alot of RN D and C class cruisers, Omahas, Dutch, and other not very useful types that I intentionally put in harms' way. My DD losses are VERY light; 3 modern US DDs, and all the rest are older Dutch/4-stacker types. I have lost 4 USN BBs though.

So overall, the Allied Navy hasn't lost much, so the good news is that I can afford to lose a bunch of ships in a major move.
[image]local://upfiles/6931/2972F85749BE46BABBEEEAB1B5F69F4D.jpg[/image]

n01487477 -> RE: Going Coastal (11/22/2012 2:00:04 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

quote:

Hehehe. If you think allied intel is overrated, you need to spend some time on the other side. [;)]

If you are lucky, you can detect some radio transmission at some hex in your turn. Sometimes, the hex is correct! [:'(]

I wonder if you gentlemen would comment on something I have long suspected but never fully tested. Sorry Q-Ball for a big tangent to your AAR (which I have read). It is my contention that Allied search capabilities pound for pound are better than the Japanese. Having tested with the same specs on Allied and IJN planes and played for long hours against the AI (peaking from time to time)- I wonder if there is a bias in the code toward the Allies.

I'm not here to say whether I think this is right or wrong; I just wonder your thoughts on the matter.

PaxMondo -> RE: Going Coastal (11/22/2012 2:03:53 PM)

Sorry, my bad eyes.  I can't see the road from Tsuyung to Chengtu cut ... is it?

As for Warazup, in that terrain, I would only be able to take it with strong LBA support. I'd have to be able to put +100 2E's on target every day for maybe 10 days ... what forts does he have there? It's a good target though. You get it, build it up, and you just made all of upper Burma untenable for him. And much faster than he can move against you in China.

The best part of all of this is that you are doing without AUS/BRI troops ... and if he doesn't tweek to that in time .... [;)]

Yes, I am optimistic here. Not to suggest that you are out of the woods, but you've got him focused (it appears) in places he shouldn't be focused on right now. You're getting in a position to drive north from Darwin and it's not yet '43. Darwin should ring all kinds of alarms and he should be aggressively defending that axis. It doesn't require CV support (sure it helps) ... you can take the DEI with LBA only which is a killer for IJ who has to commmit the KB to defense there as IJ just doesn't have enough support units to staff everywhere. Worse now than normal as he has so many committed in China now. [;)]

Yeah, I like your situation now and it's not even '43. I think '43 is gonna be a very bad year for IJ in this match. Contrary to a couple of the other AAR's that I'm watching.

JocMeister -> RE: Going Coastal (11/22/2012 7:44:51 PM)

I´m still following along! [:)] Just been superbusy lately and havn´t had much time to comment on anything!

I agree with you assessment of China. Once he gets out on the plains I think you are done for! When that happens perhaps try and make a last stand in the mountains towards Burma and wait for liberation? Even without supply its going to be a massive effort for GJ to throw you out.

If I were you I would be very pleased with were you are right now. I´m actually kind of in the exact spot you are...but its 43 instead of 42. [:(] And I lost I china over a year ago...

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477
I wonder if you gentlemen would comment on something I have long suspected but never fully tested. Sorry Q-Ball for a big tangent to your AAR (which I have read). It is my contention that Allied search capabilities pound for pound are better than the Japanese. Having tested with the same specs on Allied and IJN planes and played for long hours against the AI (peaking from time to time)- I wonder if there is a bias in the code toward the Allies.

I'm not here to say whether I think this is right or wrong; I just wonder your thoughts on the matter.

Hard to tell what the "other side" is picking up. But the "feel" I get is that Erik picks up my ships pretty early on. I´m getting DLs of 2-3 even at the fringes of his search. I usually picks his TFs up pretty early too but he has managed to sneak in a few times but I would account that to the weather.

My thought is perhaps that it is too easy for both sides! [:)]

Crackaces -> RE: Going Coastal (11/22/2012 8:02:18 PM)

quote:

I think it takes some work but with WitPTracker, and a OOB the entire picture of the deployment of the empire can be deduced. There are the obvious the XYZ static fortress is located at XYZ .. however, as I am doing battle I account for units I see in the battle reports, I account for the static units, then on occasion a variable unit will be found in a location message. Pretty soon the Allies can get an overall view of the deployment -- and know where the holes are ...

Also .. The Heavy Radio Traffic messages with a few "XYZ is moving to ABC on AK HJK" are great hints to lay down a submarnine or surface trap.

obvert -> RE: Going Coastal (11/22/2012 8:07:23 PM)

quote:

I think Allied search is better than the Japanese, but really this is mostly due to numbers, not individual air frames.

I have very few patrol planes, and they have of course very high service ratings, and so must rely heavily on 1E float planes which are more fragile, shorter ranged and easily destroyed by flak/figters (landing, flying and sitting on the ground as well!). So the only way for the IJ to compete in my opinion is to overproduce Jakes and other float and recon planes at the expense this incurs to the economy and to place these as close to frontlines as possible, getting 3-5 losses per day.

PaxMondo -> RE: Going Coastal (11/22/2012 8:27:54 PM)

Use Netties for search.  You get a lot more of them, they have good range, and are a lot cheaper to build compared to Mavis/Emily.  And when you need them, they are still effective LBA Naval strike a/c.  I keep the G3M3 in production throughout the war due to its patrol range.

obvert -> RE: Going Coastal (11/22/2012 9:15:28 PM)

quote:

Use Netties for search.  You get a lot more of them, they have good range, and are a lot cheaper to build compared to Mavis/Emily.  And when you need them, they are still effective LBA Naval strike a/c.  I keep the G3M3 in production throughout the war due to its patrol range.

Ahh, yes, but there pilots are more expensive!

PaxMondo -> RE: Going Coastal (11/22/2012 10:17:33 PM)

True.  But by 4/42 or thereabout I generally have a good supply of IJN bomber pilots.  Largely because, as you note, they are expensive to train up and so I tend to take less risks with them as compared to IJA bombers.

JeffroK -> RE: Going Coastal (11/23/2012 1:30:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

I think it takes some work but with WitPTracker, and a OOB the entire picture of the deployment of the empire can be deduced. There are the obvious the XYZ static fortress is located at XYZ .. however, as I am doing battle I account for units I see in the battle reports, I account for the static units, then on occasion a variable unit will be found in a location message. Pretty soon the Allies can get an overall view of the deployment -- and know where the holes are ...

Also .. The Heavy Radio Traffic messages with a few "XYZ is moving to ABC on AK HJK" are great hints to lay down a submarnine or surface trap.

Yep, plus intelmonkee is making it easier.

I try to keep away from too much, in my mind ahistorical, abilities to know 100% what is on the other side of the hill.

I have a rough idea, which to me is historical. I shouldnt have exact knowledge.

Plus intel can be wrong, or a PBEM player may set you up with false leads.

Chickenboy -> RE: Going Coastal (11/23/2012 3:59:43 AM)

quote:

True.  But by 4/42 or thereabout I generally have a good supply of IJN bomber pilots.  Largely because, as you note, they are expensive to train up and so I tend to take less risks with them as compared to IJA bombers.

Really? I'm struggling to fill the ranks of my good IJN bomber pilots until mid-war. Why? 'cause I use my skilled Nettie pilots for my CV torpedo pilots and / or DB pilot pools. Very good to excellent Nettie pilots are shuttled to the reserve pool and kept available for carrier air.

I consider my carrier air arm to be a higher priority than uber-skilled Netties, which get the 'just OK' replacements.

PaxMondo -> RE: Going Coastal (11/23/2012 4:25:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Really? I'm struggling to fill the ranks of my good IJN bomber pilots until mid-war. Why? 'cause I use my skilled Nettie pilots for my CV torpedo pilots and / or DB pilot pools. Very good to excellent Nettie pilots are shuttled to the reserve pool and kept available for carrier air.

I consider my carrier air arm to be a higher priority than uber-skilled Netties, which get the 'just OK' replacements.

I only do that for '42. Once the A6M becomes obsolete, I no longer consider naval carrier elite. I can't protect them and I'm going to lose a lot of them irrespective of their skill.

crsutton -> RE: Going Coastal (11/23/2012 5:56:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

quote:

Hehehe. If you think allied intel is overrated, you need to spend some time on the other side. [;)]

If you are lucky, you can detect some radio transmission at some hex in your turn. Sometimes, the hex is correct! [:'(]

No, plane for plane it is the same. I have never seen or heard anything to contradict this. Japan hold the edge in the first half of the war with more long range planes and those damn float equipped subs. Allies get the edge later due to numbers. I really do not know how Allied radar effects search but have not noticed much of a difference.

On the other hand, Allied recon after 1942 is far superior. Cameras do make a big difference.

Q-Ball -> RE: Going Coastal (11/23/2012 2:46:50 PM)

RE: Search, I don't notice a significant difference. For my part, I don't really use search arcs much; they used to be broken, and with that I just got in the habit of not using them. I use Catalinas of course, but also the ANZAC air forces are stuck with alot of Hudsons, which are useless except for maritime patrol; I train them on Nav Search to patrol sea lanes for subs. This is pretty much all the RNZAF does.

As Japan, I use Nell/Betty alot on search, because you don't get enough flying boats. I train all Nettie pilots for Nav Search, at least up to 50 or so.

Allied recon is terrible, until the F-4/5, and then the larger aircraft with Cameras. Then, it gets very good.

RE: Intel, probably the most useful are "troop loaded on AK headed to X ones", because they reveal unit location,AND I always vector a sub to intercept. That has worked a few times. Otherwise, I have locations of some troops, but RECON is really more revealing.

I have never received Intel on the location of a Japanese Carrier, maybe that's just bad luck

11-12-42 to 11-14-42

Burma:

The only major event was problem Greyjoy had with leakers; he set a whole bunch of ZEROS to LRCAP, and they ran into a buzzsaw of sweeping Allied fighters, shooting down 70 of them, in exchange for 18 of my guys.

Leakers are a big problem for the Empire over Burma; I will not exploit it intentionally, but it's going to happen sometimes

Other problem is that the Zero is now looking more obsolete; it did fine against P-39 sweepers, but the Hurris did a number

Convoy:

An IJN sub sighted a large convoy of mine filled with support ships; AV, AO, AD, AR, etc., headed for Sydney. This would probably reinforce GJ's notion that something is up down there. Something is; this is why I am moving alot of support ships to Oz.

Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI