RE: Comparison to other games (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue

Templer_12 -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/8/2012 6:15:56 PM)

You're really impatient.
The game is still only a few days old.
Let's see what Vic brings to us in the near future of additions, bug fixes, improvements, hopefully high quality scenarios, other 'presents' and good news. [:)]

budd -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/8/2012 7:46:20 PM)

Naw not impatient at all, just throwing out a thought to consider for the future, whenever that future comes. Have a nice day.

Grotius -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/8/2012 8:00:02 PM)

Hey Vic, I'm curious, have you ever played OCS's "Case Blue," the monster boardgame? I have it set up on my gaming table as we speak.

One thing I like about OCS: on-map supply, including supply chits and supply dumps. I suppose that'd be a nightmare for an AI to handle?

James Ward -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/8/2012 9:19:20 PM)

^ Me too.

Templer_12 -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/16/2012 12:04:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keunert

but once you are familiar with the system you will want to know the finer aspects of the game mechanic. at this point you will discover the elegance of the game: it is basically a simple game but with cards, officers, the plethora of statistics it gets really deep. there is a lot of replay value in this. not only because there are options like free setup and an editor, but also because every pbem will go a different route.

This is so true. Word for word.
I am right now just at this stage.

Vic -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/21/2012 12:06:34 PM)

@Grotius,

I studied the OCS games manual and map in quite some detail when researching DCCB, but never got around to playing it.

And yes its nice to have actuall supply counters on the map. It also adds however quite some micromanagement.

Best,
Vic

Redmarkus5 -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/21/2012 12:15:38 PM)

That's funny! I based my mod on the OCS map :)

Toby42 -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/21/2012 3:00:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

@Grotius,

I studied the OCS games manual and map in quite some detail when researching DCCB, but never got around to playing it.

And yes its nice to have actuall supply counters on the map. It also adds however quite some micromanagement.

Best,
Vic

No supply counters, Please!

Grotius -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/21/2012 5:05:27 PM)

Hehe, I'm not demanding on-map supply for Vic's game. I was just curious if he'd been influenced at all by OCS. I'm glad to hear he has!

I see OCS influence in particular in the clever way Vic has handled artillery, by limiting arty stocks. OCS also forces you to choose when you want to fire off those precious shells -- although in OCS, every attack anywhere costs some supply, not just arty attacks. In OCS, for every attack you make, you have to ask: is this worth the supply cost? Do I *have* the supply nearby to conduct the attack?

Also, OCS makes you pay supply to move your vehicles. Again, Vic has designed a parallel system that requires much less micromanagement, using his Oil system. That makes perfect sense to me.

Actually, for me the issue with on-map supply isn't micromanagement; I like tracking supply. I'd be concerned that it would be very hard to teach the AI to handle on-map supply. WITP/AE comes close to modeling supply on-map, and the AI in that game struggles with getting supply/fuel/resources/oil to the right places.

parusski -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/21/2012 6:21:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

quote:

@Grotius,

Best,
Vic

No, I want supply counters. PLEASE x 6.

Toby42 -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/21/2012 7:10:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

quote:

@Grotius,

Best,
Vic

No, I want supply counters. PLEASE x 6.

If you want to discuss this any further go to the Premium Member Support Club [:-]

Keunert -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/21/2012 7:22:47 PM)

how about turning the DC franchise into a FPS-one? with cool uniforms? and some german shouts? that would be great.
also there is a ****load more money to make that way. maybe you could also have a romantic sidestory to attract some
of the other gender?

Redmarkus5 -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/22/2012 6:46:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keunert

how about turning the DC franchise into a FPS-one? with cool uniforms? and some german shouts? that would be great.
also there is a ****load more money to make that way. maybe you could also have a romantic sidestory to attract some
of the other gender?

And 'Power-up' buttons plus healing boxes and re-spawn points for destroyed divisions :)

LiquidSky -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/22/2012 9:17:18 PM)

Actually, I want to see a Lego Case Blue.

Keunert -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/22/2012 9:24:59 PM)

Case Zombie: Gnagg Gnagg Gnagger

mllange -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/22/2012 10:16:43 PM)

Anyone have experience with Schwerpunkt Russo-German War? How does it compare with this game?

Redmarkus5 -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/23/2012 9:29:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nim8or

Anyone have experience with Schwerpunkt Russo-German War? How does it compare with this game?

It's a truly great game but better for PBEM than vs. the AI. Also, the UI is quite tough to master and there is a lot of manual complexity in the management of counters, movement etc.

However, if you are a serious war gamer it is a necessary part of your collection. You might want to wait until the next game in the series comes out though - I believe it covers the entire European war.

aspqrz02 -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/23/2012 3:56:38 PM)

Anglo German War is pretty good, too, as is the Arab-Israeli War ... but the UI is terrible and the AI anaemic.

Phil

Redmarkus5 -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/23/2012 4:25:51 PM)

After playing the DCCB AI, RGW/AGW's AI will feel very weak, I expect.

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/23/2012 7:41:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Hey Vic, I'm curious, have you ever played OCS's "Case Blue," the monster boardgame? I have it set up on my gaming table as we speak.

One thing I like about OCS: on-map supply, including supply chits and supply dumps. I suppose that'd be a nightmare for an AI to handle?

I do like the on map supply, gives the game another dimension.

Templer_12 -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/24/2012 1:00:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

I do like the on map supply, gives the game another dimension.

I don't know OCS's "Case Blue".
I don't even know what 'OCS' stands for.
Someone explain to me please what this on-map supply is.

aspqrz02 -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/24/2012 1:33:31 AM)

OCS = Operational Combat System originally, IIRC, by "The Gamers" ... Case Blue is their multi-map monster boardgame of, well, Case Blue ...

That is, its a physical on the table series of maps with physical counters you have to move around and roll dice for each combat etc. Old School!

The Supply Counters will be physical counters on the map that will probably have to be moved around (or which units will have to be moved to) to maintain supply (I haven't actually played Case Blue, but I have played lots of Board Wargames, from as long ago as 1970, with Avalon Hill's "Panzerblitz")

Phil

LiquidSky -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/24/2012 5:41:05 AM)

The OCS series is a wargame made by..well, you can google it and read all about it yourself. I played a lot of them, from the first Guderians Blitzkrieg, to my favourite Enemy at the Gates, and Tunisia and later...Guderians Blitzkrieg 2. They added a southern part and called the new game Case Blue.

Essentially it is a game of supply. You pay supply to move units that require fuel. You pay supply to shoot. You pay lots of supply to bombard. You dont pay supply to eat, but if you cant trace back to your supply source, then you get to drink the fuel, and eat the bullets by spending your supply. If you cant eat, then you rapidly surrender. As a result, the game is not really one of fighting, but of trying to figure out how to take out the other players supply, and cut him off so he eats his bullets, instead of shooting them at you.

Toby42 -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/24/2012 12:40:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

The OCS series is a wargame made by..well, you can google it and read all about it yourself. I played a lot of them, from the first Guderians Blitzkrieg, to my favourite Enemy at the Gates, and Tunisia and later...Guderians Blitzkrieg 2. They added a southern part and called the new game Case Blue.

Essentially it is a game of supply. You pay supply to move units that require fuel. You pay supply to shoot. You pay lots of supply to bombard. You dont pay supply to eat, but if you cant trace back to your supply source, then you get to drink the fuel, and eat the bullets by spending your supply. If you cant eat, then you rapidly surrender. As a result, the game is not really one of fighting, but of trying to figure out how to take out the other players supply, and cut him off so he eats his bullets, instead of shooting them at you.

Boy! That sounds real "Exciting"....I'll pass on anything like that!

Grotius -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/24/2012 6:26:20 PM)

Oh, OCS is much more fun than that! It's a wargame like any other wargame, with attack and movement, encirclement, overrun attacks with armor, air and artillery bombardment, mechanized, foot and horse movement, and plenty of fun toys that go boom. Its got absolutely gorgeous maps and counters. I've got the Stalingard theater on Nov. 19, 1942 set up on my table now, and it looks gorgeous.

Yes, it also models supply in more detail than most computer games. That's what makes it great! You can't just attack everywhere at once without thinking. You have to plan in advance, just as the real-life commanders did. And the supply rules are pretty easy to use once you've played through a couple turns. You make an attack or move your tanks, you pay a chit of supply.

Enigma6584 -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/25/2012 1:22:47 AM)

Alright gentlemen, I'm going to reveal my "noobness" here and ask the stupid question; what is OCS?

aspqrz02 -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/25/2012 6:02:10 AM)

OCS = Operational Combat System.

A wargame rule set created bt The Gamers for Operational Level wargames.

Phil

Enigma6584 -> RE: Comparison to other games (8/25/2012 6:59:51 AM)

Okay, thanks.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI