RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Canoerebel -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 2:53:25 PM)

That reminds me of Zulu. Two daughters were dismayed by the movie's portrayal of their father, who I think is the character portrayed as the miscreant drunk. (At least he wasn't the preacher!)

StK -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 2:55:52 PM)

@Biggus63:
A very good thing you bring up, but as I understand that people who lived through those things will have objections to the movies I don't feel that the reason he gave "glorification" is valid. I have read this from several German critics too ... but I just don't see it.
But then again one of the critics said "It's hard to really feel with the crew" and that's just bs. Anybody who can't feel for this crew has a heart of stone.

RevRick -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 4:13:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: StK

@treespider I was originally speaking about movies about Naval warfare/the Pacific Theater, but it soon went in another direction.. (^^,).
I know all the others and have enjoyed most of them.

Private Ryan.. hmm.. I might get stoned for this, but I think its overrated. My reason for saying this is, if i think about the really good movies there are immediately scenes coming to mind that left an impression. All I remember about Pvt. Ryan are some very nice pictures even though I saw it several times.

I don't know about that... In the opening sequence, the GI getting his legs blown off sure was memorable to me; or the scene with the Tiger making the ground literally rumble around the shell hole. There were a number of such scenes which made the movie difficult for me to watch. Sort of like the Cold War movie "The Bedford Incident" or "Gray Lady Down."

To be honest, one of my favorite films about the war is "The Gallant Hours."

StK -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 5:14:48 PM)

@RevRick: There might be a difference in point-of-view considering war that I have (maybe as a European, and as citizen of a country on the loosing side of WW2 edit: my parents had definitely a huge influence on that, they are both pacifists) but going into that would completely derail the topic.

Another great movie that I just remembered while thinking about this is "Die Brücke", which was produced in Germany in 1959.

Canoerebel -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 5:40:46 PM)

My father came ashore at D Plus 5. He was a sergeant with the OSS. He speaks very, very highly of Saving Private Ryan. That's a pretty credible comment on the movie's authenticity. To me it's one of the late 20th century's great movies that "put the audience in a position of experiencing history about as accurately as possible." Titanic fits in the same category, though I bet there will be plenty of criticism of that move. It exaggerated a few things, but overall did a marvelous job of accurately portraying an amazing event and putting the viewer in the position of understanding what it might have been like to be aboard that ship.

StK -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 6:08:05 PM)

@Canoerebel: I did not say it was a bad movie I said it in my opinion is overrated. It still is a fine movie and I don't dispute the realism.. I said I can't recollect a scene that I would call truly exceptional (.. I worded it horribly.. English is not my primary language). Also that the German side is only (at least to my memory) represented by this lunatic of the Waffen-SS was something that put me off.
My grandfather was a FlaK Gunner in Normandy and seeing that lunatic of a Waffen-SS as only representation of well.. him (He wasn't SS he was a 19 year old Wehrmacht conscript)didn't sit right with me.

Panther Bait -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 6:14:39 PM)

I think one thing that leads to the perception that there are less and less movies of quality (of any genre) is that there are fewer movies being made now than in the past.  That probably goes double for war movies. 

Mike

StK -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 6:18:39 PM)

@Panther Bait: As I was born 1984 its maybe also a fact that mostly good old movies where recommended to me.
The bad ones simply didn't stand the test of time.

warspite1 -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 7:12:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Titanic............... though I bet there will be plenty of criticism of that movie.
Warspite1

Yep you got that right. That excuse for a film is right up there with TFTSNBN in the steaming pile of dung stakes. Packed full of every cliche in the book...hideous.

StK -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 7:18:22 PM)

@Titanic: I'm with warspite1 on this one

edit:@warspite1:
My friend (whos house I'm sitting) owns the dvd "Conspiracy". The movie and especially the acting is astonishing

Dixie -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 7:20:20 PM)

I thought Das Boot was great when I first watched it, although it was on the BBC as a mini-series rather than a single film. It also helped me when I was learning German all those years ago. In fact I was encouraged to watch it by my German teacher.

The sheer futility of it all as they come through everything just to fall when they're safe was also a surprise the first time I saw it. We watch the crew go through so much and then they're gone. [:(] In some ways it's a similar feeling to Aces High.

Battle of Britain is right up there IMO, although I may be biased on that for a number of reasons!

It's not always a popular choice, but I really liked Letters from Iwo Jima as well.

StK -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 7:23:29 PM)

@Dixie: Did you watch the English version of it too and if yes what did you think of it?

Empire101 -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 7:39:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

A bridge too far, Battle of Britain, Letters from Iwo Jima come to mind.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie
It's not always a popular choice, but I really liked Letters from Iwo Jima as well.

Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our Fathers are two thoughtful and enjoyable films from Clint Eastwood. I enjoyed them both immensely, as they showed both sides, not as stereotypes, but people like us going through something awful.

Canoerebel -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 7:39:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
That excuse for a film is right up there with TFTSNBN in the steaming pile of dung stakes. Packed full of every cliche in the book...hideous.

Yup, it's got its warts. Nevertheless it is a great movie.

Empire101 -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 7:42:06 PM)

quote:

That reminds me of Zulu. Two daughters were dismayed by the movie's portrayal of their father, who I think is the character portrayed as the miscreant drunk. (At least he wasn't the preacher!)

ZULU!!

Now you're talking. A GREAT film.[8D]

I seem to be the only fan of 'Apocalypse Now' so far.....I'm a bit suprised[X(]

warspite1 -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 7:52:04 PM)

Has anyone seen Operation Daybreak? One of my favourite war films. Great soundtrack, tragic story, superb film.[&o][&o]

Sadly the soundtrack is not available [:@]

Encircled -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 7:52:28 PM)

You can never tire of watching Zulu

The mini-series of Das Boot is probably a bit better than the film, but the film is fantastic.

"Cross of iron" is excellent as well

warspite1 -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 7:55:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

"Cross of iron" is excellent as well
warspite1

Yep [:)]

Dixie -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 8:02:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: StK

@Dixie: Did you watch the English version of it too and if yes what did you think of it?

Das Boot? I tried to watch the English version, but I just couldn't get into it and switched the DVD back to German. Possibly because I knew it should be in German, it's strange but there you go.

StK -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 8:03:05 PM)

I don't recollect ever seeing the miniseries anywhere.
Is it the same like the directors cut (which is the best version of the movie I know... in fact its a lot better in my opinion then the normal one)

@Dixie: Not really... If I can understand the original language (German and English.. French I'd like to but my French simply isn't good enough) in which a film was made in I will watch the original. I avoid translations where I can because no matter how well they are made something will always get lost on the way.

Dixie -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 8:06:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Empire101

quote:

ZULU!!

Now you're talking. A GREAT film.[8D]

I seem to be the only fan of 'Apocalypse Now' so far.....I'm a bit suprised[X(]

It's OK, but IMO overlong for what it is. It feels like it plods between (some very good) action sequences. I dunno why I feel like that, Das Boot isn't exactly short or action packed from end to end either.

Nikademus -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 8:08:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

Oh no. Japan bombs America's sleeping laundry lines.

On the subject of Das Boot, perhaps the film's biggest critic was the former Kriegsmarine correspondent who wrote the novel it was based on. Lothar-Gunther Buchheim had a big falling out with the director, Wolfgang Petersen. Uttering concerns about the end result, Buchheim felt that unlike his clearly anti-war novel the adaptation was "another re-glorification and re-mystification" of the German World War II U-boat war, German heroism and nationalism. He called the film a cross between a "cheap, shallow American action flick" and a "contemporary German propaganda newsreel from World War II".

Buchheim was by all accounts a bit touchy too. [;)]

The ending was cheesy. But as i've oft mentioned, the movie is worth a peek just for the ASW scene. It really is that good. I ended up with a sore jaw after seeing it. Near the end I was thinking (along with the actors portraying the crew) "will this ever end??!!!"

No politics....no mishmash. Just a terrifyingly real picture of what it must have been like for any sub crew in WWII. I still can't enter a memorial WWII sub boat and not be amazed that men actually lived and fought inside those small metal tubes. I'm slightly claustrophobic and i'm not a big fan of death by drowning either. It took one hell of a mindset that no set of "percs" described in return for signing up could compensate.

Nikademus -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 8:10:30 PM)

Havn't seen Zulu since i was a wee geek. But i agree......it was a great movie.

Chickenboy -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 8:11:43 PM)

Platoon, Hamburger Hill, and Apocalypse Now are all quite watchable films that haven't yet been mentioned.

I thought The Bridge (Die Brucke) was overwraught. Interesting for the character development, but comparatively poor in other respects.

Catch 22was a very enjoyable film-but not a typical war movie. Still quite watchable.

StK -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 8:14:49 PM)

@chickenboy: I watched "Die Brücke" when I was... I don't really remember.. I remember my parents were out for the evening and I enjoyed to be able to stay up late and watch TV... so I must have been very young. It left a deep impression. Maybe I should watch it again

warspite1 -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 8:17:49 PM)

Dambusters is another great film [&o] P.. Popsy

Chickenboy -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 8:20:33 PM)

Bridges of Toko Ri, and Pork Chop Hill were memorable.

Anyone see Front Line (a Korean made movie that debuted in 2010)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anfA7h4umLY

Chickenboy -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 8:21:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Dambusters is another great film [&o] P.. Popsy

Just saw that for the first time a couple of months ago. Great movie.

Chickenboy -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 8:22:41 PM)

Surprised no one has mentioned The Longest Day yet. I thought that a very good war film.

Midway was good, I thought. It would have been better without the unnecessary Japanese sweetheart love interest sidelight, but still watchable.

StK -> RE: Movies like "Das Boot"? (8/22/2012 8:24:09 PM)

@warspite1: is dambusters the movie about Operation Chastise? truly another gem if it is.
@chickenboy: I mentioned The longest day in the 1st post (^^,)

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI