anyone played old boardgames? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Rising-Sun -> anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 10:18:21 AM)

I use to play War in the Pacific by avalon hill, it was huge game, but couldnt find anyone to play with. Also noticed there are few versions of War in the Pacific and look almost alike. The second edition, never seen that, probably when i was playing Gary's War in the Pacific back then. The second edition happen to be the most expensive board game i ever seen, here the link for details...

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22843/war-in-the-pacific-second-edition

It does look related WitP by avalon hill i had, but more complex and realism. The tough parts is having to find someone willing to play with you. Til WWII fans realise that pc is your best friend, either play against AIs or someone (hotseat), LAN or even PBEMs.

Wondering if this board game was the major stepups to this game, or plan orange edition?

pmelheck1 -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 10:41:18 AM)

I used to play the old version of War in the Pacific by SSI. A truly massive game. Thought about linking War in the pacific with War in Europe to create a world at war game but the idea of that much space dedicated to a game not the mention the time factor involved was beyond frightening. The idea of a game with 7000 counters was rather intriguing. But the idea of setting aside 1 or 2 rooms of a house for a while was more than I could do at the time. I starting buying tressel tables for maps and displays but never got enough to start both games together.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/9650/war-in-the-pacific-first-edition

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2802/war-in-europe

wdolson -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 10:42:25 AM)

Avalon Hill never released a game called War in the Pacific. SPI had a monster game by that name. I believe the Decision Games War in the Pacific is essentially a re-release of the old SPI game.

Avalon Hill also had a game inherited from their merger with Battleline called Flat Tops that was a very good, but complex carrier game centered on the Solomons battles. Yaquinto released a game on Midway based on the same system. I played Flat Tops many times and even back in the 80s I was trying to figure out how to computerize the game. WitP AE's grandfather was Beyond Valor which was a sort of computerized version of Flat Tops. The first WitP expanded the Beyond Valor system to the whole Pacific war.

There are no claims that any board game was a direct ancestor to the game engine, but I'm sure many naval war board games had some influence on the development of this engine. Though that is just speculation on my part.

Bill

dr.hal -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 1:15:18 PM)

I think you folks are thinking of Victory Games, that was the game of War in the Pacific and yes it truly was a massive board game... I only played it once while in Scotland of all places, and it was set up for almost a year. We got to November of '42 and then had to break it down. We each faithfully recorded each of our pieces and their place in order to set it back up one day, but that day has never come, he is now in Norway and I'm in Vermont! But it was fun.... Hal

zuluhour -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 1:24:57 PM)

I had a game I thought was called "Victory at Sea" on floppy disc. I think Flat Top also had some serious flaw with rules when released by AH. As I am no pack rat or just to lazy to store (an embarrassing amount) of old board games the only thing I have left is some GHQ micro armor (most unfinished) if anyone wants it.

foliveti -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 2:03:14 PM)

The Decision Games version of War in the Pacific is a descendant of the SPI version. Decision eventuallya acquired the rights to a large number of SPI games. I have both versions. The latter version is sort of a merger of the Pacific War (Victory Games) land and supply system and the War in the Pacific (SPI) naval and air system. It has so much chrome added that I can't imagince anyone playing. I need a magnifying glass to read the information from some of the counters.

SuluSea -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 2:15:13 PM)

My first boardgame was Fran Tarkenton's Pro Football I could have sworn it was an Avlon Hill product.
After playing FTPF mainstream games like operation, sorry, monopoly and the like had little interest for me.

I can't tell you how many hours I spent playing that game.

AW1Steve -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 2:18:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Avalon Hill never released a game called War in the Pacific. SPI had a monster game by that name. I believe the Decision Games War in the Pacific is essentially a re-release of the old SPI game.

Avalon Hill also had a game inherited from their merger with Battleline called Flat Tops that was a very good, but complex carrier game centered on the Solomons battles. Yaquinto released a game on Midway based on the same system. I played Flat Tops many times and even back in the 80s I was trying to figure out how to computerize the game. WitP AE's grandfather was Beyond Valor which was a sort of computerized version of Flat Tops. The first WitP expanded the Beyond Valor system to the whole Pacific war.

There are no claims that any board game was a direct ancestor to the game engine, but I'm sure many naval war board games had some influence on the development of this engine. Though that is just speculation on my part.

Bill

Avalon Hill had two games , War at Sea & Victory in the Pacific . They could be combined for a "world war" effect. I think this is what is causing the confusion.

Canoerebel -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 2:45:34 PM)

Avalon Hill had Advanced Third Reich and Empire of the Rising Sun. These were excellent strategic games that could be linked together and played as "Global War 2000," which was an amazingly poor choice of names. (Actually, GWY2K wasn't a formal game, but rather the system developed by players to link the two games and play be email.) A3R is still one of the best games I've ever played. ERS was also very good, though probably not as good as A3R. Both games had a research system that was fabulous.

I still have nearly mint condition copies of A3R and ERS, plus Victory Games War in the Pacific. Sometimes I take them out just to admire the maps and counters. :)

John 3rd -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 3:24:20 PM)

I have THREE copies of Flattop here in the basement right now.

wadail -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 3:26:09 PM)

Another monster-sized Pacific War Game was East Wind Rain: The War in the Pacific 1941-1945 by Task Force Games in the mid-1980's. Spent many a barracks night playing EWR, Diplomacy, and Third Reich.

Stvitus2002 -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 3:32:10 PM)

quote:

called Flat Tops

I picked up that game back in the mid 80's. At the time,there wasn't
anything else like it(that i know of). Sold it two years ago for $8,
along with a few other dusty AH titles. It never got much use once
SSI's Carrier Strike came out.

I'm still hanging on to my old ASL stuff,along with a few other titles.
One thing about those old board games(besides billions of cardboard counters)
an almost complete lack of Fog of war.

WO 0/0

oldman45 -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 4:09:09 PM)

World in Flames was our poison of choice. Many months we played that faithfully twice a week. Got into some where in 44 and the axis players called it.

I have another one that was off the radar Eagle and the lion i think the name was. Beautiful maps and counters, never could find anybody to play it, too much book keeping.

Rising-Sun -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 4:25:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

Im sorry i meant "Pacific War" wasnt sure what brand that is, hard to til in the picture. Victory games perhap, but i think its Avalon Hills.

[image]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1782/pacificwar.jpg[/image]

Thinking about buying it for friend to play in person, but there a few on ebay selling it and i dont have paypal. My paypal account got screwed up due to security reasons and they never helped me to clear it up. Does anyone know where i can get one with credit/debit card or bank's money order?

wadail -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 4:28:41 PM)

It was Victory Games circa 1985, according to Board Game Geek.

foliveti -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 4:37:43 PM)

You are both right. I think Victory Games was a subsidiary of Avalon Hill. My understanding of the history is that after SPI folded a number of the designers etc went over to AH and started VG.

Walloc -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 4:42:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun
Im sorry i meant "Pacific War" wasnt sure what brand that is, hard to til in the picture. Victory games perhap, but i think its Avalon Hills.

[image]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1782/pacificwar.jpg[/image]

Thinking about buying it for friend to play in person, but there a few on ebay selling it and i dont have paypal. My paypal account got screwed up due to security reasons and they never helped me to clear it up. Does anyone know where i can get one with credit/debit card or bank's money order?

I have it and have played it extensivly in the late 80ies. Has some neat features on strategic/local intiative and how it shifts. Its ofc massive and takes lots of time to play through. Always liked the pilot training rules too. I can recommend it if u can find some one with the time to play it.
No idea on sales of it tho.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Walloc -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 4:45:44 PM)

Wanted to add. If u get it note that several errates was published for the rules. Be sure to get those too.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Kitakami -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 6:14:12 PM)

I have read in the blog of the designer of VP's Pacific War that it is slowly being redone. Also, the SPI monster that was War in the Pacific has been rereleased, as has been stated. With a price tag of 420.00 US and a space/time requirement approaching a PhD, it is just too much for me. But Pacific War, if the redesign works, would be something I'd buy. I have too many fond memories of both from my youth.

Rising-Sun -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 6:26:17 PM)

Was hoping to find a cheap one, even used or open boxes that ebay sells for is way too expensive. Believe i got mine back in the late 80s around 45 USD and now its double or tripled because they dont make those anymore or its unique boardgame. Wasnt sure about War in the Pacific Second Edition, that a whopping 300-400.

LeeChard -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 7:26:07 PM)

You can go farther back for AH naval games. I had a game called Bismark and one called Midway. They were played basicly the same with a screen between the players and searching very much like the kids game Battleship.

Lcp Purcell -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 7:29:02 PM)

The biggest chit game I played was Operation Typhoon by SPI (Simulations Publications, Inc.) I would say it was very fun and playable assuming you can cover a ping-pong table with maps and chits for 3-4 months.

RevRick -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 7:34:52 PM)

Avalon Hill had Victory in the Pacific
VG had Pacific War
SPI had War in the Pacific from I think in the 1970's -
I have all three of them in boxes somewhere.
I haven't had space to even set up the SPI WitP in at least 20 years, but I still take a look at the production records and plans we kept when we had the game set up in what was my War Room. Last Board game I played was a round or to of France'40 with my then pre-teen son. First War game was WSIM in the early 70's after I got out of the Navy. Fun times.

Lokasenna -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 7:40:52 PM)

I played Guadalcanal, but my friends didn't really dig the style...

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1375/guadalcanal

I found WITP when fending off an urge to just play it against myself one night, though it's still sitting in my apartment. I just wished that there had been a campaign mode in that one, rather than playing the significant battles only.

treespider -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 8:13:46 PM)

I used to play Victory Games Pacific War extensively....I also own Decision Games redo of SPI War in the Pacific, however i have never actually played it.

The DG version of WitP does incorporate many ideas that were used in VG's Pacific War...namely the step reduction and troop Quality of LCU's.

And yes Mark Hermann is slowly redoing the VG Pacific War.

CaptDave -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 8:18:31 PM)

I've played at many of the old standards: Panzerblitz, Panzer Leader, Third Reich (both original and advanced), Midway, Guadalcanal, Jutland, France 1940, Tobruk, and even Kriegspiel (my first wargame, even if it was entirely an abstract). Found and bought a copy of Pacific War in the early 90s -- had heard of it but never seen it -- and set it up exactly once (same problem as Third Reich: setup takes all day). Also have whichever version of Xth Fleet is the Pacific; easier to play than Pacific War, for sure, but at the same time not as much fun.

As a side note, the computer version of Third Reich has an amazingly good AI considering how primitive the computer capabilities were at the time it was written.

Empire101 -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 8:22:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

World in Flames was our poison of choice. Many months we played that faithfully twice a week. Got into some where in 44 and the axis players called it.

I have another one that was off the radar Eagle and the lion i think the name was. Beautiful maps and counters, never could find anybody to play it, too much book keeping.

World in Flames was and still is the narcotic of my youth, although I have'nt been able to play for several years due to work and space restrictions. Used to play it for days on end.....happy days.[:)]

Been waiting along time for MWiF[>:]

Another favourite was SPI's War In The East and War In Europe.....fantastic!![:D]

Kitakami -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 8:40:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

I used to play Victory Games Pacific War extensively....I also own Decision Games redo of SPI War in the Pacific, however i have never actually played it.

The DG version of WitP does incorporate many ideas that were used in VG's Pacific War...namely the step reduction and troop Quality of LCU's.

Treespider, too bad you do not live around the corner... I'd VOLUNTEER to setup the monster :)

Lcp Purcell -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 8:54:55 PM)

Lets not forget my favorite beer and Pretzel game, Supremacy: The Game of the Superpowers which is kind of like risk but with Oil, Minerals, and Grain as the three resources.

Also you can build ICBM's, and laser satellites to shoot down the Nukes, when you nuke a territory a mushroom cloud goes there and no one can ever use that territory again, when twelve mushroom clouds are on the map the earth is plummeted into a nuclear winter and everyone loses.

I once played a game in which the world was not blown up, that was a major accomplishment.

nashvillen -> RE: anyone played old boardgames? (8/28/2012 9:03:46 PM)

You can always use cyberboard...
quote:

ORIGINAL: Kitakami

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

Treespider, too bad you do not live around the corner... I'd VOLUNTEER to setup the monster :)

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI