OT cache (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

geofflambert -> OT cache (9/7/2012 5:59:05 PM)

Anybody know who the knuckleheads are that are teaching our soldiers to pronounce the word cache the same as cachet (cash-ay)? It makes them seem uneducated.

jmalter -> RE: OT cache (9/7/2012 6:32:56 PM)

awhile back, a friend returned from Beijing, one of his stories was about 'party cawders'. about a day later, i figured out he was talking about 'cadres'.

Lecivius -> RE: OT cache (9/7/2012 6:36:59 PM)

It is pronounced that way in midwest schools according to my wife, who is from Des Moines. It drives me crazy ( well, it's 1 of the things, anyways :P )

Schanilec -> RE: OT cache (9/7/2012 6:37:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Anybody know who the knuckleheads are that are teaching our soldiers to pronounce the word cache the same as cachet (cash-ay)? It makes them seem uneducated.

Probably from Obama, when he called navy (corpsmen) corpsemen.[8|]

geofflambert -> RE: OT cache (9/7/2012 7:53:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

quote:

Probably from Obama, when he called navy (corpsmen) corpsemen.[8|]

All too often they are. Brave fellows.

geofflambert -> RE: OT cache (9/7/2012 8:11:00 PM)

I forgot to mention. No complaints about 'When are the French going to learn to spell?' [:-]

Come to think of it, I don't think I've encountered any Frenchmen in the forums. Guess they all surrendered. [;)]

GI Jive -> RE: OT cache (9/7/2012 8:32:39 PM)

I was a kid during the Vietnam War. I remember hearing GIs being interviewed by newsmen then and saying they located "a VC arms 'cashay'".

AW1Steve -> RE: OT cache (9/7/2012 8:40:16 PM)

quote:

I forgot to mention. No complaints about 'When are the French going to learn to spell?' [:-]

Come to think of it, I don't think I've encountered any Frenchmen in the forums. Guess they all surrendered. [;)]

Gladdit has been MIA for over a year. Fishbed was living in Paris, but I belive he's Chinese. We've a few Belgians, Louisiana's and a few of us decended from escaped Quebec qois. And of course the best speaker of I don't know how many languages , Terminus is still on time out. So I'd say your safe for now. Besides, if the French went after everyone that mangles their language , they wouldn't have any time to drink wine or eat cheese! [:D]

AW1Steve -> RE: OT cache (9/7/2012 8:42:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GI Jive

I was a kid during the Vietnam War. I remember hearing GIs being interviewed by newsmen then and saying they located "a VC arms 'cashay'".

So was I/and so do I. But these same guys were telling the press about "Gorilla's" attacking a village. (Not guerillas). Which always made me imagine oversize monkeys with machine guns coming into town! [:D] (OK, planet of the Apes had not come out yet!). [:D]

Schanilec -> RE: OT cache (9/7/2012 9:11:15 PM)

Kinda like in 'Captain Ron'.[:D]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT cache (9/7/2012 10:02:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

It is pronounced that way in midwest schools according to my wife, who is from Des Moines. It drives me crazy ( well, it's 1 of the things, anyways :P )

Girl of the Prairie, a midwestern native, says "kew-pon" instead of "coo-pon." When I object she reminds me that Minnesota's state motto is in French and I need to get my Old Dominion behind in gear and clean the head. When I protest that Virginia's motto is in LATIN (!!!!!!) she just smiles and hands me the sponge.

AW1Steve -> RE: OT cache (9/7/2012 10:16:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Girl of the Prairie, a midwestern native, says "kew-pon" instead of "coo-pon." When I object she reminds me that Minnesota's state motto is in French and I need to get my Old Dominion behind in gear and clean the head. When I protest that Virginia's motto is in LATIN (!!!!!!) she just smiles and hands me the sponge.

Living across the river from Iowa, I hear that all the time. What drives me crazy is that many of the towns is this part of Nebraska have French origins in their names. When I hear Papillion pronounced as PAP-PILL-eon , I can't help but cringe. I won't even tell you what they do to the town I live in, Bellevue. I used to think only the English could screw up French names that badly! [8|][:D] I can't help but wonder about how the Tribes in the Seattle are think about how badly the locals must screw up the names! [:D](I must make amends![:D])

But who am I to say (or care)? It's their town . Let them decide how they want to pronounce it. [:D]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT cache (9/7/2012 10:23:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
But who am I to say (or care)? It's their town . Let them decide how they want to pronounce it. [:D]

There's a part of Winston-Salem, NC called Buena Vista. I pronounced it Spanish-like for seven years and was "corrected" hundreds of times. ("Boon-a Vistuh.") It was funny after the first fifty.

There's a town in the Twin Cities metro named Wayzata. I've never gotten it right, even though I do try. At this point I'm not even sure what's the correct pronunciation.

Chickenboy -> RE: OT cache (9/7/2012 10:42:37 PM)

quote:

There's a town in the Twin Cities metro named Wayzata. I've never gotten it right, even though I do try. At this point I'm not even sure what's the correct pronunciation.

It's one of the many reasons the 'locals' look at me askew. I pronounce it "Why-zet-tah", which is the way I hear it pronounced on the radio. I'm sure I'm off because I'm not adding, "you betcha" to the end of it or something...[;)]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT cache (9/7/2012 11:01:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

It's one of the many reasons the 'locals' look at me askew. I pronounce it "Why-zet-tah", which is the way I hear it pronounced on the radio. I'm sure I'm off because I'm not adding, "you betcha" to the end of it or something...[;)]

I think Why- is correct. I just can't stop saying Way-zhat-uh. I don't drive through there just to avoid having to think about the place.

Next up--why my 53-YO brain can't ever remember which is which--Eden Prairie and Edina. Or Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center.

Icedawg -> RE: OT cache (9/7/2012 11:50:27 PM)

This is nothing. What about all of those people in Maryland who pronounce our nation's capital as "Warshington"? Where do they get that "r" from?

AW1Steve -> RE: OT cache (9/8/2012 12:20:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

This is nothing. What about all of those people in Maryland who pronounce our nation's capital as "Warshington"? Where do they get that "r" from?

Actually it seens like everyone in the west does too. It's funny but in over nine years of living and working there , I never heard a native call it anything but "D.C." ,or "the district". [:)]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT cache (9/8/2012 1:52:22 AM)

quote:

quote:

Actually it seens like everyone in the west does too. It's funny but in over nine years of living and working there , I never heard a native call it anything but "D.C." ,or "the district". [:)]

Truman said it that way. It's everywhere.

geofflambert -> RE: OT cache (9/8/2012 4:17:41 AM)

I was born in W.Va and had an aunt who said Warshington as well as saying I have to do the warsh, and warsh behind your ears, etc.. I thought it was hilarious at the time and I was right.

geofflambert -> RE: OT cache (9/8/2012 4:20:11 AM)

She made me moon pies though, and that made everything right.

geofflambert -> RE: OT cache (9/8/2012 4:52:26 AM)

I did hear Jack Cafferty on CNN say Missouri is pronounced Missourah and that no one pronounces it Missouree. I went to the Truman Library once a long time ago and listened to audio of him giving a speech, and he said Missouree more than twice. I can attest that many of us do pronounce it Missourah, but none of them lives in St. Louis, Columbia or Kansas City. Most of the state south of Intersate 70 is occupied by Confederate sympathisers. Missouri north of I-70 is basically an extension of Iowa, where they know how to pronounce Missouri properly but are a stern and circumspect people. Anyway, I just brought this up to show that Jack Cafferty is a moron.

jmalter -> RE: OT cache (9/8/2012 7:29:22 AM)

w/o language, verbal communication is just hooting & hand-gestures - but then dialect gets in the way to add confusion.

's just as bad in text-only forums, i see lots of 'tow the line's & 'here, here's. i read a memoir by a famous transplant surgeon in which he would often 'pour over' results, likewise my copies of Aubrey/Maturin are chock full of mis-spelled words. drag those editors out into the alley and shoot them in the head!

but rilly i should just lighten up, it's not like i don't know what they mean, ntm that i type in dialect m'self, ignoring some standard capitalization rules.

Icedawg -> RE: OT cache (9/8/2012 3:00:38 PM)

quote:

quote:

I lived in Cecil and Harford counties (Maryland) while I was in grad school at the University of Delaware. The entire five years I was there, I can hardly recall any local calling it anything other than Warshington. The students/staff not from Maryland pronounced it properly, but the locals all insisted on adding that r. Maybe it's some king of eastern Maryland thing.

geofflambert -> RE: OT cache (9/8/2012 3:25:44 PM)

Enough of warsh. I am constantly bedeviled by puns popping up in my head, and am forced to inflict them on others. Here's some from today:

What was the division of Poland in '39?

a faux pax

What was the D-Day invasion?

a faux Pas de Calais

What are impressions in the mud confused with cat's feet?

fox paws

What is a station break on the GOP cable network?

a Fox pause

Uh Oh, I think some are coming on related to horse doovers. [8|]

Don't get me started on Keogh Paddies.

CaptDave -> RE: OT cache (9/8/2012 8:14:14 PM)

I read something years ago about how vowels migrate from southwest to northeast, and consonants (particularly Rs) from northeast to southwest. This gives rise to Hav-vuhd and New Joisey while the Texan tends to his erl wells.

If you want to talk about messing up the French-origin names, look at Des Moines (mispronounced both in Iowa and in Washington), Marseilles (pronounced Mar-sayles) in Illinois, and Versailles (Ver-sayles) in Indiana. Illinois, by the way, is of Indian origin and is actually pronounced almost correctly (well, except for the heathens that pronounce the S on the end).

And, as Bill will probably be happy to tell you, there is no such state as Ore-gahn. The city in Illinois is pronounced that way, but out here it's Or-e-gun.

In the end, of course, the correct pronunciation is whatever the locals say it is.

Icedawg -> RE: OT cache (9/11/2012 12:49:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

I read something years ago about how vowels migrate from southwest to northeast, and consonants (particularly Rs) from northeast to southwest. This gives rise to Hav-vuhd and New Joisey while the Texan tends to his erl wells.

If you want to talk about messing up the French-origin names, look at Des Moines (mispronounced both in Iowa and in Washington), Marseilles (pronounced Mar-sayles) in Illinois, and Versailles (Ver-sayles) in Indiana. Illinois, by the way, is of Indian origin and is actually pronounced almost correctly (well, except for the heathens that pronounce the S on the end).

And, as Bill will probably be happy to tell you, there is no such state as Ore-gahn. The city in Illinois is pronounced that way, but out here it's Or-e-gun.

In the end, of course, the correct pronunciation is whatever the locals say it is.

Wow, I guess I'm guilty of mispronouncing "Oregon". All these years I thought my aunt from Washington state was a moron for calling it Or-e-gun. I guess I'm the numbskull for saying "Ore-gahn".

I guess I shouldn't have busted on those Marylanders who think the US capital is "Warshington"!

geofflambert -> RE: OT cache (9/11/2012 5:20:22 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Truman said it that way. It's everywhere.

I missed an opportunity earlier on this. Maybe 25 or 30 years ago I went to the Truman Library in Independence, Missouri. At the time and still to this day there is a debate about whether it is pronounced Missour-ee or Missour-ah. The correct answer is both. In the more settled areas like St. Louis, Columbia and Kansas City, no one says Missour-ah. But in the rural areas, especially south, they do say Missour-ah. Anyway I was at the Truman Library and they had a machine on which you could listen to his various speeches. I listened to one (that was of some import) and he pronounced it Missour-ee three times.
There is another issue I've exposed here besides simple pronunciation. At the time of the Civil War St. Louis was full of Deutsch immigrants and it didn't matter much how they pronounced it. Missouri to this day is a divided place, everything to the north of I-70 is indistinguishable from Iowa, and at the root is sympathetic to the Union. Everything to the South might as well be part of Arkansas except that it's a mite (and only a mite) more sophisticated. This area is also strongly sympathetic with the Confederacy. In part as a consequence (and I don't remember which) Missouri either has more Civil War battlefields than every other state, or, more than any other save Virginia. Whichever, we've got a lot, and they were'nt insignificant. The Capital, Jefferson City, was definitely in the Confederate camp, but the Union was somewhat better prepared to handle Missouri than the Confederates.
For those of you interested, Hannibal, the home of Huckleberry Finn, is in the Northern part.

I forgot to mention the Simpsons episode where Bart was on a raft heading up the Missouri, and passed a sign saying "you are now leaving Missouree" then passing a sign saying "you are now entering Missourah". [:D]

CaptBeefheart -> RE: OT cache (9/11/2012 6:10:34 AM)

OK, I'm from Iowa, and it's always been "cash" to me. However, I've worked in aerospace companies where 95% of the people say "LIE-a-son" engineer for liaison engineer, and many of them also say "I seen" for "I saw."

Also, the U.S. military screws up a lot of geographical pronunciations. If I hear another squid say "yuh-KOO-skuh" for Yokosuka (which should be "yo-ko-skuh") or flyboy saying "kuh-DEE-nuh" for Kadena ("kuh-day-nuh") I'll chunder.

EDIT: I lived in the St. Louis area for six months and never heard the "Missourah" pronunciation. That said, I did hear that in a lot of rural parts the "ah" was common, which jibes with what you guys are saying.

Cheers,
CC

Icedawg -> RE: OT cache (9/11/2012 8:38:25 AM)

There's another one I apparently mess up. I didn't realize the u in Yokosuka was silent. I thought the "su" was pronounced like the woman's name, Sue. So rather than four syllables, it only has three?

CaptDave -> RE: OT cache (9/11/2012 10:40:40 PM)

quote:

There's another one I apparently mess up. I didn't realize the u in Yokosuka was silent. I thought the "su" was pronounced like the woman's name, Sue. So rather than four syllables, it only has three?

I don't know much about the Japanese language, but this is one of the few things I do know. There are always exceptions, of course, but usually the u is silent in the "su" combination. As another example, sukiyaki is pronounced "skee-yah-kee".

Some decade when I have money for such things, I'd like to learn to speak Japanese!

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI