RE: OT cache (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

wadail -> RE: OT cache (9/11/2012 10:48:33 PM)

Heh.. you want difficult to pronounce names, come visit Oklahoma:

Miami - My-AM-Ugh
Nowata - No What Ugh
Okmulgee - Oak Mull gee (soft g, not Gee)
Muskogee - Musk Oh gay
Chouteau - Show Toe
Honobia - Hoe Nubbie

Schanilec -> RE: OT cache (9/11/2012 11:12:39 PM)

And then there's Sakakawea. As in Lake Sakakawea. How is it everyone outside of the Dakota's pronounce it with an extra syllable Sakakajawea. Look at the map.[8|]
I won't even go into my last name.[:D]

CyrusSpitama -> RE: OT cache (9/11/2012 11:23:08 PM)

I failed to post this when I originally read this post. ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sor9lT4bNc...

The Who- Cache Cache An odd song to go along with the odd topic :)

CyrusSpitama -> RE: OT cache (9/11/2012 11:34:52 PM)

OH! Also, we have thousands of streets here that are horribly pronounced. Two of the worst offenders in my opinion are:

Melpomene (typical local pronunciation is Mel-PO-mean) This is one of the 'muses' streets and it is more correctly, Mel-pom-O-nee.

Calliope (locals like to say, Call-ee-OAP) This one really drives me bonkers :P Note that this is also a 'muse' street.

Easily the runner up is yet ANOTHER 'muse' street! [8|]

Clio (some locals call this CL-10, no kidding). Kly-o is considerably more correct.

We have so many French and Spanish named streets that are rather mangled, but the above examples are ones that really make me wonder... I mean I know when typing on forums my grammar and punctuation can be weak, but I do manage to at least speak correctly.

When I am typing on forums, I tend to quickly 'text' even though I probably shouldn't. It doesn't always strike me that typing on forums IS my speaking! Gah! Certainly, the quality of the answer is highly dependent on the quality of the question.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT cache (9/11/2012 11:51:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

And then there's Sakakawea. As in Lake Sakakawea. How is it everyone outside of the Dakota's pronounce it with an extra syllable Sakakajawea. Look at the map.[8|]
I won't even go into my last name.[:D]

I can tell you that the Commonwealth of Virginia taught its youngsters for at least a generation and maybe more that her name was Sack-uh-jow-uh.

geofflambert -> RE: OT cache (9/12/2012 4:31:47 AM)

OK how do I say this, I am the exact opposite of a racist, to me there is only one race, Homo Sapiens Sapiens. I need to be able to make fun of the way some people pronounce things, and in this case I am fortunate in that most anyone from southern Mississippi talks this way, white or black or anything else. Imagine the Sheriff from Live and Let Die were in court as a witness in a trial, and for some reason it was permissible for the Defense Attorney, say, to ask the following questions:

"Ah say Suh, could you please use the word fascinate in a sentence?"

"Yes Ah can. Ah gained some weight lately, and when Ah put Mah shirt on, I can only fassensix. Ah used to be able to fassenate."

"Very good, Sheriff. Now, could you use the word fortify in a sentence?"

"Ah surely can. Just yesterday, Ah was drivin along, and Ah saw this pretty gal on the sidewalk. Ah drove up to her and said "Hey thea honey, how much you be? She said, 'Ah be fortify dollah'"

[8|]

CaptBeefheart -> RE: OT cache (9/12/2012 7:39:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

There's another one I apparently mess up. I didn't realize the u in Yokosuka was silent. I thought the "su" was pronounced like the woman's name, Sue. So rather than four syllables, it only has three?

Yep, the "i" is also silent in Yamashita. Usually you pronounce each vowel pretty much like in Spanish, but not when in a combination like that. I took Japanese a while ago, and not being a natural linguist, it was a bit tougher than quantum mechanics for me.

Fortunately, I'll be heading to Tokyo tomorrow for a couple of beer festivals. Kampai!

Cheers,
CC

Lcp Purcell -> RE: OT cache (9/12/2012 7:59:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I was born in W.Va

a good friend of mine from way back, moved to Chicago from West Virgina when he was 14, now he knew that W.Va. had a heavy accent and at 14 he did not want to be made fun of, so he took it upon himself to learn proper English before he moved to the big city, so he started to imitate the accent on the BBC. The skinny kid from west Virgina with the giant red-hair Afro did not want to be made fun of talking like a fake Brit.

wadail -> RE: OT cache (9/12/2012 3:41:29 PM)

At least in this general region the most commonly butchered name is probably the Atchafalaya Basin. Most outsiders pronounce it Atch-uh-fil-lay-uh and locals pronounce it Chaff-uh-lie-uh.

CyrusSpitama -> RE: OT cache (9/12/2012 3:43:30 PM)

Haha wadail :) heard that plenty of times...

Canoerebel -> RE: OT cache (9/12/2012 3:56:23 PM)

Many youngsters who love to read at an early age have trouble pronouncing words. The trouble stems from them seeing big words in books - words so big they've never heard them before, so they come up with their own pronunciations. Sometimes, those pronunciations tend to stick with them, cropping up in the most arresting ways and at the most awkward moments. Words like:

paradigm: puh rad uh jim
facsimile: fass uh mile
epitome: eh puh toam

CyrusSpitama -> RE: OT cache (9/12/2012 4:02:05 PM)

What were we taught when learning to read and speak? SOUND IT OUT !!

A local street that gives visitors trouble is Tchoupitoulas. Tourists love pronouncing this one :)

P.S. I was living in the Twin Cities for a few years(St. Louis Park) and PURPOSELY pronounced Shakopee, SHACK-o-PEE. The locals there loved correcting me :P I just liked the sound of a shanty full of pee ... haha I also called Edina, EDNA! along with a few other choice jokes on city names.

geofflambert -> RE: OT cache (9/12/2012 5:54:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Many youngsters who love to read at an early age have trouble pronouncing words. The trouble stems from them seeing big words in books - words so big they've never heard them before, so they come up with their own pronunciations. Sometimes, those pronunciations tend to stick with them, cropping up in the most arresting ways and at the most awkward moments. Words like:

paradigm: puh rad uh jim
facsimile: fass uh mile
epitome: eh puh toam

I once didn't have that excuse, because I was 18 and should've known better. A couple of friends asked me if I knew the composer of Bolero. I said "yes, Ravel". Trouble was I pronounced it the same way you pronounce ravel as in unravel or gravel. They laughed and laughed.

When I was in the first grade in Pittsburgh, they taught us French because they had a theory that that was the best time to teach a foreign language. I didn't retain much, but I do remember "Frere Jacques, Frere Jacques, dormez-vous, dormez-vous, Polly la ma Tina, Polly la ma Tina, dormez-vous" I didn't understand what Polly was doing to Tina's mom, but I sang it anyway.[:D]

CaptDave -> RE: OT cache (9/12/2012 10:34:12 PM)

Love the Ravel goof! When I was the wing weather officer at Andersen our station chief was pretty well versed in classical music, but you can probably guess how he pronounced Herbert von Karajan (yep, kuh-RAJ-un).

geofflambert -> RE: OT cache (9/13/2012 2:59:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

Love the Ravel goof! When I was the wing weather officer at Andersen our station chief was pretty well versed in classical music, but you can probably guess how he pronounced Herbert von Karajan (yep, kuh-RAJ-un).

I and others reading this may not know the proper pronunciation, but I've always pronounced it the same as carrion. An unfortunate comparison, if true.

JeffroK -> RE: OT cache (9/13/2012 11:42:54 PM)

A pack of Americans trying to make fun of how people pronounce word, what a laugh!!

We start at Arkansas and work our way through it.........

Chickenboy -> RE: OT cache (9/14/2012 3:23:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

A pack of Americans trying to make fun of how people pronounce word, what a laugh!!

Yes, because that's something no Australian would EVER do under any circumstances. [8|]

danlongman -> RE: OT cache (9/14/2012 5:01:33 AM)

I lived around a few places in North Am and as an anglophone Canadian
by origin one thing I have always loved about Americans is the ghastly
way they horrifically mangle their own French place names. It makes
my heart big. Hennepin and Joliet and Iroquois and Terre Haute and Pierre.
And Americans think Kanookis talk funny when we say out and about because
we say the "out" like one syllable instead of seven and without any "a"s or "y"s
in it.

geofflambert -> RE: OT cache (9/14/2012 5:17:52 AM)

We've got a lot of French place names to mangle, but we're not limited to that. Lima Ohio is pronounced with a long i. We pronounce Lima beans the same way. We mess up Spanish very well thank you, even though I can't think of any language that comes close to it in consistency between spelling and pronunciation. Perhaps Italian. But not Sicilian. Don't ever allow anyone to tell you Sicily is part of Italy. It's not even a colony. It's an occupation. [:D]

CaptDave -> RE: OT cache (9/14/2012 9:30:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

I and others reading this may not know the proper pronunciation, but I've always pronounced it the same as carrion. An unfortunate comparison, if true.

Sorry, should have mentioned that. You're a lot closer than he was! In most languages other than English an a is always pronounced as in far, so his name would be KAHR-uh-yahn (though people are often pretty sloppy with the last syllable, and it comes out more like KAHR-uh-yuhn).

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI