RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 2:05:35 AM)

Here's KB and the DEI. John can make a lot of noise down here...and he can inflict some hurt in my good transports. But my bases are strongly defended, so I'm just battening down the hatches to fight.

Meanwhile, KB is out of position...and, to get into position...it has to either steam towards the PI in plain view or go way, way around to ambush.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/DD8BB9DB9ACD4BFC8FB1981AD313D38E.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 2:07:02 AM)

In the PI, the Allies take Cebu today. With the KB threat eliminated, I'll move on Poilolo, the island east of Manila, tomorrow. Until KB is more of a threat, I'll be more active in this theater.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/D4956C1644744C29BAD84F161D63D061.jpg[/image]

bradfordkay -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 3:04:24 AM)

"With a handful of my bomber squadrons temporarily out of commission, they'll upgrade to better aircraft. "

That is making lemonade when life hands you lemons!

Barb -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 6:13:59 AM)

Well, in my PBEM as Allies I am in a position of having pools and units full of planes while the new ones are coming online. My opponent is evading the fight in the SWPac, and we are out of close contact elsewhere, spare Burma. Yet there is also a little "ditch" between allied and Japanese forces. On the other hand I do hate to throw away missions just for the sake of flying. So we both have mostly defensive stance with occasional sting here or there, but nothing mayor. So I still have units equipped with Hurricane Is, P-40Es, Blenheims IV, etc. :D On the other hand the Japan just sits there and probably produce planes that are probably not needed.

When the time comes (which should be soon), we will probably burn them anyway... and any losses will be made good by upgrading to newer and better planes :D

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 1:43:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

In the PI, the Allies take Cebu today. With the KB threat eliminated, I'll move on Poilolo, the island east of Manila, tomorrow. Until KB is more of a threat, I'll be more active in this theater.

I dunno, how many bases do you really need? You have more than half a dozen now. Is Poilolo even worth the effort?

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 1:45:18 PM)

Canoe is thumbing his nose at John - the more he ignores these little "side-trips" that John seems to be bound and determined to attempt, the more likely it will be that John will ultimately get frustrated and do something really stupid.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 2:18:51 PM)

Poilolo has modest value of its own - I can use it but don't need it. But Poilolo in conjunction with the island or islands I'll take south of Manila might prompt John into rash action - it'll seem to him that I'm drawing a ring around Manila. Too, reconnaissance squadrons are probing empty islands to the north - the Bataan chain, etc. - so that should raise John's concern too.

IE, I can make use of the islands I'm taking, but mainly I'm trying to rattle John as he's off doing weird stuff far away.

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 2:27:33 PM)

quote:

he's off doing weird stuff far away
[sm=00000117.gif][sm=00000117.gif]

Alpha77 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 3:08:45 PM)

quote:

I'll tell you one thing I did - I moved half an army out of Burma more than a year ago. In January '43, the Allies were on the offensive in Burma. Things looked promising. I had one British division, one American division, two Australian divisions, and two or three Indian divisions involved in the assault. I withdrew the Americans and the Australians; those three divisions went to the USA and are now involved in the Pacific War. One or two Indian divisions eventually took their place on the front lines. So, January '43 = six or seven divisions; April '44 = five divisions, only one of which is a major power division.

Yeah but you want bigger forces from him in Burma, which suggests you want to land perhaps at CRB (or somewhere in this area) and cut the western IJ portion off. I am already in trouble in 7/42 vs. the Allies, but in 44 it must be scary for "JFB"s

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 4:22:59 PM)

4/18/44

Burma and the DEI:
John has the weight of his navy engaged in the Bay of Bengal and New Guinea. See map for details.

He's using his bombardment TFs to decent tactical effect, but if he isn't furthering a major operational or strategic benefit, this doesn't make sense.

It reminds me of the opening of Big Tent. As the Allied fleets were approaching the undefended DEI, John's BBs detoured to bombard Tarawa. And that was it. There was no larger componment to that bombardment. He was undoubtedly hoping to create worry about the Marshalls, but by then the Marshalls were irrelevant.

What he's doing in Burma and New Guinea have more merit than bombarding Tarawa did, but not a whole lot.

On the ground, the Japanese engaged in another costly shock (to them) shock attack on their west flank.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/A00436FEFCF140C09B8F538990474C6C.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 4:36:20 PM)

The Fun House side of things.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/BF4A102619AC464AACE58D1124392A58.jpg[/image]

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 4:39:45 PM)

So maybe he is trying to lure your fleet back south?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 4:42:11 PM)

Quite possible that's his plan. Perhaps he's thinking "Celebes" while I'm thinking "Tarawa."

For him to have a chance, he needs to pose a credible threat to the DEI. He doesn't.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 4:50:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

So maybe he is trying to lure your fleet back south?

Yeah, but he should know from the way Dan has conducted himself in the previous incursions that he won't be drawn away from his own purpose.

I know John has a tendency to succumb to the "Do something! Anything!" urge that hits you when the enemy is chewing up your strategic space and you do not dare confront directly, but he seems even less effective in the edge-nibbling department lately. I think he is over tasked and overtired in real life.

Alpha77 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 6:21:36 PM)

BBfanboy:

"I know John has a tendency to succumb to the "Do something! Anything!" urge that hits you when the enemy is chewing up your strategic space"

Always when I succumb to that urge I lose major ships [:@] [>:]

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 6:30:36 PM)

He's calling out your carriers.....

[image]local://upfiles/55056/36C91BF7FDBB4C4482F25A28595EEB19.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 6:31:29 PM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWo__6Xn6Qs

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 6:37:33 PM)

You guys and your funny base names. I'm pretty sure it's Polillo, unless your mod changed names on the map.

BillBrown -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 6:43:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

You guys and your funny base names. I'm pretty sure it's Polillo, unless your mod changed names on the map.

They are channeling their inner Greyjoy. [;)]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 6:43:45 PM)

It took me 11 years to realize that Balikpan was actually Balikpapan.

You're talking to a guy who lost the first grade spelling be by spelling "who": "ho."

But then, the smartest person I've ever known couldn't spell a lick.

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 6:57:23 PM)

BTW, if you don't mind my asking. How did you get caught with 48 PB4Y's on the ground? These were based pretty far forward, what were they bombing and why not move them when you saw trouble coming?
thanks

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 7:07:51 PM)

There were four PBYs at the base. The report shows each time a plane was damaged, thus drastically inflating the impact of a bombardment mission.

On that turn, with two big BB bombardments (Sorong and Ramree Island), I lost a total of seven aircraft.

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 7:18:53 PM)

quote:

On that turn, with two big BB bombardments (Sorong and Ramree Island), I lost a total of seven aircraft.

not even worth the shells, much less the fuel.

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 7:33:14 PM)

Wow, John is probably going to think he did great, when he actually spent more in fuel and shells than the cost of what you lost.....

DW -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 7:40:35 PM)

quote:

No kidding...

When I actually take the time to sound out many of the names in this game, I discover that the resulting pronunciation is considerably different than the way my brain had been internally pronouncing as I read.

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 9:08:00 PM)

quote:

You're talking to a guy who lost the first grade spelling be by spelling "who": "ho."

But then, the smartest person I've ever known couldn't spell a lick.

I hold my tongue a lot, but I just couldn't this time. Numbers and names get seared into my brain. If you named a base at random from the map, I could probably tell you where it is.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 9:19:12 PM)

I know, Lokasenna. I'm the same about other things. For some reason, my mind has a very narrow, but fun, ability to remember my outdoor outings. It drives my friends nuts, because I can tell them that "four years ago today, the three of us hiked X Trail in the Cohutta Wilderness. It was cold and snowy. We ran into a number of blowdowns and ended up finishing after dark. We ate dinner at Z's Place, each of us eating three hamburgers. That night, I got home and wrote about the hike for three hours before taking a shower and falling asleep." To me, that's just "normal." I don't think anything about it. (You guys probably don't either.) But to folks whose minds aren't oriented that way, it seems almost magical.

I have one good friend who says that I'm an idiot savant. She also says that she's now convinced that lunacy and brilliance aren't two ends of a line - they meet in a circle.

[:)]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 9:24:05 PM)

Here's the air loss total for the day: You can see that I lost three P39s and 2 Sunderlands (both at Sorong). I lost two other aircraft at Ramree Island.

Now, there are reasons for that. First, I pulled most aircraft out of Sorong (though the combat report makes it sound like the base got clobbered). Second, I did have a lot of aircraft at Ramree, but John's BBs had already done one bombardment mission the day before. The second time around always has a very dampened effect.

I can imagine John might be giddy with the thought of the carnage inflicted at Sorong and Ramree. He did do some damage to the field and service ratings, but big deal. Those are battles in Texas and Florida while Sherman is driving on Atlanta.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/341E1A8E1FB542078A11BCA5AD00B2BC.jpg[/image]

Andav -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 9:26:56 PM)

I usually have them spelled in my brain different from the map. Balikpapan is a prime example. I also have it spelled in my brain Balikpan. Of course, if it has more then about 5 letters in the name and it is not English or Spanish sounding, I will probably miss spell it. The Dutch names really kill me.

My son who is in the navy was talking about maybe go to Diego Garcia. It shocked him that I knew right where it was located.

quote:

The report shows each time a plane was damaged, thus drastically inflating the impact of a bombardment mission.

I knew there was FOW in the results but is it really each time or some combination?

Wa

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/31/2017 10:55:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andav

quote:

The report shows each time a plane was damaged, thus drastically inflating the impact of a bombardment mission.

I knew there was FOW in the results but is it really each time or some combination?

Wa

During the bombardment the game tots up each hit (or hits) by each salvo and , apparently, instantly decides the aircraft was destroyed or just damaged. At the end the total of hits that caused damage but not destruction are listed by aircraft type. There may be a bit of FOW in the total number of hits but usually not much. On a total of seven aircraft reported destroyed I would expect +/- 1 from FOW.

Page: <<   < prev  295 296 [297] 298 299   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI