RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/11/2017 7:24:10 PM)

What is the longest range you can drop paratroopers? And are the paratroopers sitting off Formosa on an island?

Your comment points out the value of having a KB...

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/11/2017 7:47:14 PM)

Swatow to Foochow really are the key bases....I think one should have been built to level 9 and the others maxed normal. From there they can throw a ton of land based air at any invasion of Formosa.

All of Formosa's runways are subject to crippling shore bombardments, almost immune to reprisals since the Allies have Orchid Island.

But, I go back to Swatow to Foochow. Nice terrain, puts all of China back in play. I get absolutely terrified when Allied invasion forces head for that area...

Pescardores is small runway, but there is a small shipyard there too, which is really quite useful...

Given the track of the deathstar...I would be pushing every panic button I had. Right now the target is unclear...and that further plays into the Allied hands.

With China contested, I bet Swatow to Foochow are weakly held.

With the Kb and 1200 planes, Japan probably could assemble another 1500 on the Swatow to Foochow line and really threaten an invasion....but, that is not to be.

[image]local://upfiles/44178/C7FC958C0F724C65B940496CB1C17433.jpg[/image]

HansBolter -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/11/2017 8:36:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

What is the longest range you can drop paratroopers? And are the paratroopers sitting off Formosa on an island?

The really big flying boats the Americans start getting in mid '43 (forget the name) have a normal range of 17 hexes.

Will_L -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/11/2017 10:39:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

the grave is made of limestone it is almost unreadable due to acid rain.

[image]local://upfiles/31520/01C38941C0A7472CB987A4534AAD6A09.jpg[/image]

A headstone rubbing would probably show the engraving pretty well.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 2:49:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

The really big flying boats the Americans start getting in mid '43 (forget the name) have a normal range of 17 hexes.

Coronado

Flicker -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 3:52:49 PM)

CR - good progress. I know I've been suggesting Shanghai, but you seem to be in position for a Pearl River campaign (not the one in Mississippi). Shanghai may be a 'bridge too far', whereas Hong Kong, Canton, and up the river may allow you to hook up with your Chinese and Bangkok-going-east friends plus give you some great ports and repair shipyards (and VPs!).

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 4:15:06 PM)

7/25/44

Peep Show: SigInt whispered truthfully for more than a year, and a solid hunch appears to be on target.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/0BA38AB0C0D84DA9B59F7E106926AD9C.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 4:37:31 PM)

7/25/44

Peep Show Area of Operations: See map for details.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/F8781A0766CE4AFA93C2407CA0A98D2A.jpg[/image]

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 4:44:09 PM)

Oh, I am loving the misdirection. This is playing out very much like Sherman's march from Savannah through the Carolinas. Threatening multiple targets, forcing John to choose where to defend, then hitting the under-defended areas.

I'm really liking this move. I really, really like it.

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 4:49:58 PM)

Sweet...you will learn why I quake with fear when Allied invasion fleets near the Chinese Coast.

Not doing better in China is really going to hurt Japan.

Not having the KB here, for the pivotal first landings, is really going to hurt Japan.

Plus, as of now, Japan has no clue as to what your are invading. [&:] Which is pure speculation on my part...Formosa and Pescadores most likely targets.

I have advice, but I cannot give it.[;)]

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 4:55:31 PM)

My concern with you going for Foochow (and somewhat Tsinkiang) is that your TFs may run into MTBs, DDs, and the like...and run straight into the coastal guns at Pescadores (due to there almost certainly being mines there). I'd have preferred Amoy or even Swatow for this reason.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 5:05:41 PM)

Who said I was sailing by Pescadores? I might, but I might go the other way around.

That was one reason for the previous Death Star visit to Formosa a few weeks back: to see how John configured his defenses; to deal with mines and MTBs; to learn and adjust.

If Foochow is the first target, and it probably is, I'll proceed directly there. That'll take me close to Pescadores, but I'll post DEs and DDs in the passage to try to thwart the MTB strategy. If Ningpo ends up being the first target, I'll likely go the other way around.

I'll have to make the decision this turn, but John is out of town until Sunday night, so I have the time to do it.

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 5:21:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Who said I was sailing by Pescadores? I might, but I might go the other way around.

That was one reason for the previous Death Star visit to Formosa a few weeks back: to see how John configured his defenses; to deal with mines and MTBs; to learn and adjust.

If Foochow is the first target, and it probably is, I'll proceed directly there. That'll take me close to Pescadores, but I'll post DEs and DDs in the passage to try to thwart the MTB strategy. If Ningpo ends up being the first target, I'll likely go the other way around.

I'll have to make the decision this turn, but John is out of town until Sunday night, so I have the time to do it.

Unless you set the home port to somewhere east of Foochow, presumably your homeport is Manila... your ships may run right into Pescadores if they get contacted just twice in particular hexes. There's no guarantee that the DE/DD TFs will stop that from happening, but it does help. Just not a risk I would take given the game date.

As a fictional sports broadcaster once said: "That's a bold move, Cotton."

ny59giants -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 5:50:47 PM)

How many armor/tank LCUs are you bringing to break out with?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 7:22:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Unless you set the home port to somewhere east of Foochow, presumably your homeport is Manila... your ships may run right into Pescadores if they get contacted just twice in particular hexes. There's no guarantee that the DE/DD TFs will stop that from happening, but it does help. Just not a risk I would take given the game date.

You know more about these things than I do. In making my assessments of what's possible and what's likely, I may be too ignorant of the nature and extent of the various threats. I don't have a lot of experience in these waters or with the late date of the game.

That said, I feel pretty confident that Task Force Hercules (I just made that up) will make it in decent shape. I'm worried mainly about kamikazes, but I think my efforts to deal with the threat of mines and combat ships are sufficient.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 7:24:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

How many armor/tank LCUs are you bringing to break out with?

I have five or six regiments of tanks.

If and when a base is secured, armor and fresh infantry divisions will begin to spread out...hopefully giving John more to worry about.

But the real plan is something much different....

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 7:50:03 PM)

Are you planning to launch a Chinese-led offensive to tie down his forces?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 7:51:15 PM)

Judging by John's email comments when he sent the turn, he seems to think my "sudden" interest in coastal China is a last-minute change of heart. He may believe that I'm belatedly reacting to his moves to reinforce Formosa and vicinity.

If that's the case, he's less likely to factor in the prep factor. And I'm trying to figure out if there are other ways to make use of his misperceptions, if such there are.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 7:54:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paullus99

The Chinese are crowding the front lines from the Changsha sector to the Vietnam border. John's troops have heavy forts, so I have zero expectations of achieving a breakthrough. Less than zero, really.

But I'm pressing forward to make him think twice about weakening that line.

And there's all those Allied troops in Thailand beginning to push east and northeast from the Bangkok sector. (Do you think there was any coincidence in how the Burma campaign was designed to eventually compliment Peep Show?)

The main thing is that there's probably a gaping vacuum in the area between John's Chinese MLR and his coastal garrisons. It'll take him time address those problems, mainly due to the space involved. But he'll do it before the Allied "hordes" can move in strength deep into China.

...but there is no such plan.

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 7:58:01 PM)

I mentioned it before, but you really are channeling Sherman right now.

At this point, it appears that John has no significant naval forces between the Philippines and the HI.

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 8:26:58 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

You know more about these things than I do. In making my assessments of what's possible and what's likely, I may be too ignorant of the nature and extent of the various threats. I don't have a lot of experience in these waters or with the late date of the game.

That said, I feel pretty confident that Task Force Hercules (I just made that up) will make it in decent shape. I'm worried mainly about kamikazes, but I think my efforts to deal with the threat of mines and combat ships are sufficient.

And they might be! I'm more of a "lean a shoulder forward" kind of planner, or in listening to the podcast I linked in the main forum, pretty much like Ludendorff in 1918 - "punch a hole and see what happens." I'm just saying that, were I landing here with my typical orders and settings (particularly for air groups and air TFs), I would be concerned about unintentional movement through minefields - particularly at Pescadores with its fortress also present (although details on it are not in my brain at the moment). A very particular set of things would have to happen in order, but I don't think they'd be that uncommon. Namely:

1) Some kind of surface TF contacts either your CVEs or CVs, which will cause them to retreat towards home port regardless of any settings you may have for follow, remain on station, direct/absolute, etc.

2) This would need to send them past Pescadores, and when 1 hex away from Pescadores, a few things would need to happen in tandem:

3a) Another surface TF contacts them, and
3b) Cause them to retreat into the Pescadores hex

Admittedly, 3b is the hardest condition there to meet...but it could happen.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 8:28:50 PM)

7/25/44

Synergies: Here for the first time are the synergies between Allied strategy in Indochina, China, and Peep Show. Things still have to come together to make this work, but we're moving in the right directions.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/C4474B9CCF19416881F18E3DF5921373.jpg[/image]

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 8:29:05 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: paullus99

The Chinese are crowding the front lines from the Changsha sector to the Vietnam border. John's troops have heavy forts, so I have zero expectations of achieving a breakthrough. Less than zero, really.

But I'm pressing forward to make him think twice about weakening that line.

And there's all those Allied troops in Thailand beginning to push east and northeast from the Bangkok sector. (Do you think there was any coincidence in how the Burma campaign was designed to eventually compliment Peep Show?)

Ah, they're saying such pretty words about the Peep Show! Praise, chock full of flowery language!

Sorry, but since you're an editor for at least part of your living, I just can't resist [:'(].

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 8:31:46 PM)

Oops. "Complement."

I'm a decent editor (really, I am), but I have to edit my own writing scores of time before it sees print. Seriously, most of my stories - things as short as 1,000 or 2,000 words - go through anywhere from 75 to 150 revisions.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 8:50:51 PM)

7/25/44

Fun House & Peep Show: See map for details.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/C228ECB325904AACBF2123B03819A5E8.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 9:04:23 PM)

7/25/44

DEI: Enemy carriers are all over the DEI.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/B81C828E81F24E1EA53ECCB6A7C2407E.jpg[/image]

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 9:26:36 PM)

Is Rangoon still blocked from flooding with supply ships. If you can dump tons of supply at Rangoon and set some HQ's along the path you can flood China with supply. Considering your current narrow supply path it may be worth considerable investment to get supply flowing

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 9:40:06 PM)

Rangoon is mostly open to supply. There's still the threat of LBA from Port Blair. That's manageable by using LRCAP by incoming supply TFs. There's the larger threat of enemy raiding DD TFs. I'm moving in a modest CL/DD TF to deal with that.

Supply is coming in, but it won't be in floods. It'll be 10k one day, 15k two days later. That'll help but it won't be decisive.

JeffroK -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 10:07:28 PM)

A thought,

Would JIII be flying troops into the Chinese coast cities??
Maybe a small investment in LRCAP over them could interdict any attempts?

well, 2 thoughts.
Does the Chinese unit adjaecent to Foocjow have any teeth?
Could it move into town and help the landing force>

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/12/2017 10:29:46 PM)

John tries aerial reinforcements nearly every time he gets caught looking the other way. It'll be too little to impact the invasion of Foochow at this late date. But if it the RCT proves tough behind forts, I will employ LRCAP (and bombardments and 4EB).

The Chinese unit is an HQ type, providing intel and serving as a tripwire on that road leading into Foochow.

Page: <<   < prev  345 346 [347] 348 349   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI