RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/13/2017 12:00:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

John tries aerial reinforcements nearly every time he gets caught looking the other way. It'll be too little to impact the invasion of Foochow at this late date. But if it the RCT proves tough behind forts, I will employ LRCAP (and bombardments and 4EB).

The Chinese unit is an HQ type, providing intel and serving as a tripwire on that road leading into Foochow.

I think that is probably true for every JFB, Allied SigInt is just so darned remarkably good at pointing out every shortfall in defense, Japanese transports concentrated can fly close to 250 AV a day in or out at this point of the game.

Anyhow, I am really looking forward to your next steps.[sm=happy0065.gif]

I am curious to see what Japan does with their carriers now...caught on the wrong side.

You will have to watch carefully how supply wants to travel from your captured Chinese beach head to the interior I think.

Lok is quite correct that Pescadores has some pretty nifty coastal guns, and anything traversing near could be diverted into them...I know I would be pulling out all the stops to get units to blunder under the guns. Of course the guns themselves are very vulnerable if there aren't other units there too.

Do you have intel on the big CD units that Japan has: Wake Coastal Gun, 3rd Special Coast, Combined 8th SNLF?

Come 1945 Japan's military starts to really grow in China, Manchuko, Japan proper. If you are looking at potential early activation of the Soviets for example, you will want to get there very early in 1945 at the latest. Bases like Hankow and Shanghai see generous division sized units spawn there. In late 44 division sized units spawn in Formosa. A lot of the islands get cd guns sometime in 44...so an Island could literally be empty one day and the next have a very nasty garrison. To me, this is a reason to have +-15 day reinforcement option.

Now -- you are in that enviable Allied position of being early, ahead on the Japanese curve of reinforcements, so have fun! I know I will.[:)]

Jellicoe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/13/2017 8:32:31 AM)

Does John have any idea that the Lexington is tucked away in Boela? A damaged carrier in a port with a large KB on hand will be almost irresistible!

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/14/2017 1:44:17 AM)

John hasn't used reconnaissance on Boela in forever, as best I can recall. He's showed no real interest in the base. So I've been thinking all along that Lexington was sorta anonymous there.

But perhaps John does know. He's had those subs strung out all around Boela, including at dot hexes. Perhaps he expected SoPac KB to flush ships towards his subs. But that may just be a strategy aimed at Allied ships in general rather than Lexington in particular.

If KB comes back to hit Boela, then it'll be obvious that he does know.

Reg -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/14/2017 4:05:03 AM)

Distraction bait......

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/14/2017 6:09:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

Distraction bait......

CAP Trap! [:)]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/15/2017 4:25:16 AM)

With John away for the weekend, I stood down for a few days.

I spent Saturday hiking solo in the Cohutta Wilderness Area. I did a tough 14-mile loop that included a climb of about 1900 feet over a couple of miles. Tough going.

Surprisingly, I had the Wilderness Area to myself. Nobody was out on a lovely spring Saturday. I carried a book and my lunch, stopping to read on the ledge wear Panther Creek Falls tumbled off the side of Cowpen Mountain.

The hike went smoothly, but I was a sore puppy when I got home last night. The only way to stay in shape for steep 14-mile hikes is to regularly do steep 14-mile hikes. Who has time with business, family, church, and other matters?

I also gave some thought to the game, and finally decided how Peep Show will approach China. I'll briefly discuss that after the photos.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/15/2017 4:28:32 AM)

This is East Cowpen Trail, near it's junction with Hickory Ridge Trail.

Last November, a 29,000-acre wildfire - dubbed the Rough Ridge Fire - swept through the Cohutta Wilderness Area. In some places, like this one, the scars of the fire are disappearing already.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/91CE7A6734B54C378A79B782AB94D6A6.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/15/2017 4:31:07 AM)

In late December, when I last hiked this stretch of trail - Panther Creek Trail near its upper end - the forest floor was charred and blackened. Inches of slick, wet, gooey ash covered the mountainside. Today, lush ferns have reclaimed the forest floor, which is healing nicely.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/CFE5D242A4484FBBAEEAF4453DAF9651.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/15/2017 4:33:19 AM)

The Rough Ridge Fire did only minor or moderate damage to 95% of the Cohutta Wilderness Area. Most areas will recover quickly.

Here and there, patches of woods are blackened and the forest floor denuded. This is one such area - a long, narrow side ridge that descends from the west side of Buckeye Mountain. It will be a long time until this area looks lush.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/A45141F777E44C59974FD40B5321B435.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/15/2017 4:37:19 AM)

As for the game, I ultimately decided that Peep Show will use the "west route" to approach coastal China. I'm concerned about the risks you gentlemen pointed out - swarms of MTBs causing my TFs to scatter into minefields or within range of the guns of Pescadores.

In fact, I initially entered orders for the TFs to take a course around Formosa's eastern coast. Ultimately, I decided to take the shorter, quicker route that gets the ships to the beachheads a day sooner. I'm sending out advance DD and DMS TFs to sniff out opposition. And if things turn sour, my TFs may still be in a better position to retire.

But I have a feeling that the Allied armada is up to forcing this passage. Let's see if I'm right.

CaptBeefheart -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/15/2017 7:31:45 AM)

One thing I learned the hard way after traipsing around different CD/mine traps such as Fusan, Tsushima and Shimonoseki to set TFs to "direct" and "absolute." After doing that my ships stopped wandering into those zones of death.

Good luck with Peep Show.

Cheers,
CC

JeffroK -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/15/2017 7:35:02 AM)

I have also used some waypoints close to each other so that they follow a definite track (exiting Sunda Straits as an example)

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/15/2017 5:22:42 PM)

7/26/44

Peep Show: Death Star moves in good order towards the Foochow beaches. Moderate-sized enemy air raid gets chewed up. Allied fighter sweeps of Formosa airfields does pretty well - not stellar, but pretty well. I only have a third of my fighter squadrons engaged - I'm rotating them at about that level. So the results are encouraging, though it's too early yet to declare trends.

Meanwhile, SoPac KB is moving west of Timor, far from the action. Mini KB is probably in the Java Sea, but certainly can't commit without major assistance. Much more likely that John will combine his carrier TFs and go raiding in the DEI.

Seven enemy subs around Boela. John almost certainly has his eye on the shipping there. It's a big airfield with tons of supply and support and a few combat TFs for security, so he wont' get a free whack at it.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/9B7EA67D564343568DAF1ACB2FE153F5.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/15/2017 5:28:51 PM)

7/26/44

DEI: SoPac KB moving on the margins.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/019651BFBFD04174BCE767BAD92CEA8F.jpg[/image]

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/15/2017 5:52:59 PM)

If that were me, I would be looking at an invasion of Amoy or Tsin-whatever. Did those troops grow at all? I would be totally surprised by your true target.

I take this means you gave up on close to Shanghai?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/15/2017 5:57:00 PM)

I haven't given up on Ningpo, to the north, or Tsinkiang, to the south; but Foochow is priority one. If I take that in good order, I'll probably land everything there and then move on Amoy and Tsinkiang, foregoing Ningpo.

If something really sexy happens - like John suffering massive air losses - I might move on Ningpo. It's lightly guarded, but the problem is its remoteness (to me) and its proximity to Shanghai. So I'm leery of moving there unless thing are going wildly well.

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/15/2017 6:07:56 PM)

How big is your invasion fleets? Rough total number of ships and divisions?

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/15/2017 6:12:43 PM)

Shanghai itself will be a tough target unless lightly held, and it has a pretty high garrison requirement for the Allies. Ningpo as a jumping off point to Shanghai could be a quagmire if he has sufficient forces nearby, but as a strong point to try and shutdown Japan-held Shanghai it would need only defend itself and its LOC, and build to base fighters and destroyers.

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/15/2017 7:18:21 PM)

It's a high garrison requirement for Japan, too - 720 in stock.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/16/2017 3:28:00 PM)

I'm twiddling my thumbs, as John has fallen into one of his occasional non-communicative modes.

Yesterday he said he'd send a turn during the "course of the afternoon." I thought that sounded a lot like his old "I'll send another turn without issue" pledges. (He avoids using that phrase, because I mentioned it once).

That was the last I heard from John, although he's been online four or five times since then. He's probably working the turn now ... so I'll just hang tight until it gets here.

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/16/2017 3:51:50 PM)

quote:

I'm twiddling my thumbs, as John has fallen into one of his occasional non-communicative modes.

Yesterday he said he'd send a turn during the "course of the afternoon." I thought that sounded a lot like his old "I'll send another turn without issue" pledges. (He avoids using that phrase, because I mentioned it once).

That was the last I heard from John, although he's been online four or five times since then. He's probably working the turn now ... so I'll just hang tight until it gets here.

Gives you plentiful of time to plan chow...

[image]local://upfiles/55056/571949CD3FC14F258B4653411AE4C9AA.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/16/2017 3:53:25 PM)

Where do you come up with these things!

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/16/2017 4:05:01 PM)

quote:

Where do you come up with these things!

[:)]

BillBrown -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/16/2017 4:23:02 PM)

Fishball noodles, yummy.

Simonsez -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/16/2017 4:23:05 PM)

He has nothing to do with it...it's all Google.....[8|]

Google is your friend

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/16/2017 4:38:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simonsez

Google is your friend

A musical instrument once made... still has to be played.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/16/2017 7:14:10 PM)

7/27/44

Peep Show: The Allies are ashore at Foochow in fine shape; the enemy garrison seems to be in tatters. We'll find out for sure next turn.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/EEBB1FF6BE8941F3922316443A8EEC03.jpg[/image]

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/16/2017 7:50:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simonsez

Google is your friend

A musical instrument once made... still has to be played.

Well put!

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/16/2017 9:17:33 PM)

7/27/44

SEAC: The Allied advance is going smoothly. Supply is reaching Rangoon in meaningful amounts, and spreading from there. John will move to interdict at some point and in some fashion, I think.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/B344EAF8492848EA9EB91C556B44E087.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (5/16/2017 9:21:38 PM)

7/27/44

China: Where Peep Show opened today.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/9FADAED0EED74FF9BA36191BDC1EDE8F.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  346 347 [348] 349 350   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI