RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/10/2017 7:28:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Does moving even in combat mode give penalties?

"» Combat – The unit is in optimal formation for fighting – but has its movement reduced because the unit is moving tactically anticipating a battle. "

May have done better if in an Attack mode instead of Defend. That was a lot of Jap vehicles. It's not that you did bad but that you suffered penalties.

I believe that it does. I am sure that it means any fortifications are not counted (and field fortifications are reset to 0); I suspect terrain benefits might be lessened; and I suspect a penalty of some kind is applied.

If you even begin a march with an LCU, it clears any field fortifications that it had built.
But if you cancel the move while you are still in orders mode the fortification level comes back to what it was. A nice comprehensive bit of programming by the developers! [&o]

Aside from the indirect effect, moving in Combat mode does not have any direct affect combat (your 2nd and 3rd points).
How are you certain of that? There are many details that were not put into the documentation.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/10/2017 11:08:35 PM)

9/19/44

See map for details.

P.S. I swear I already posted this once. I ever saw the post on my computer screen. But it disappeared. So I'm posting again. Or I've lost my mind.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/F7137738B4934B768DA0387C02AA52F0.jpg[/image]

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/10/2017 11:09:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

9/19/44

See map for details.

P.S. I swear I already posted this once. I ever saw the post on my computer screen. But it disappeared. So I'm posting again. Or I've lost my mind.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4067531&mpage=26

PTSD "post traumatic stress disorientation"

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/10/2017 11:11:53 PM)

*Ack!* - I have lost my mind. How'd I do that?

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/10/2017 11:12:53 PM)

quote:

*Ack!* - I have lost my mind. How'd I do that?

PTSD "post traumatic stress disorientation"

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/10/2017 11:22:51 PM)

Understanding the late game strategic bombing campaign, at night, is very important Allied skill...and most games don't see a good fight in an AAR. Usually the Allies steam roll...as they can neglect night bombing for most of the game and pick it up at the end. But for Japan, they cannot afford any on the job training with Osaka and Tokyo at risk.

moonlight is low, but can be offset by really good DL levels, especially if you can fly recon during the night phase too -- with great pilots of course. Some of your Allied squadrons have unique night time skills...look for them.

Are you targeting manpower or specific items?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/10/2017 11:27:25 PM)

The majority of the bombers target Manpower, but a few have targeted Light Industry and Resources.

I should emphasize that there've only been about four raids, and all of them involved fairly small numbers of bombers. But that's going to change. Now that Formosa is (seems to be) winding down, I've okayed full use of Superforts for strategic bombing.

But I'm holding back on the B-24Js. They're rested and in prime condition to fly, but I'm holding them for any Japanese offensives against my coastal Chinese bases. Once that threat diminishes, the Liberators can join the fun.

Detection levels are high, but to this point only daytime recon is going on.

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/11/2017 3:12:47 AM)

quote:

Aside from the indirect effect, moving in Combat mode does not have any direct affect combat (your 2nd and 3rd points).
How are you certain of that? There are many details that were not put into the documentation.

To be honest, I'm not certain - I haven't tested it. Maybe GetAssista will do so. But everything we've been told/hinted at (that I can think of) says Combat Mode is Combat Mode.

One thing I will mention, though, is that I've done lots of moving in Combat Mode while retreating and been attacked and never once seen an "op mode(-)", so if there is a penalty it has either (a) never risen to the level of triggering the message in the report, or (b) been coded such that there is no message, just a penalty. For sample size reasons, I think (a) is unlikely although of course possible. I don't think (b) would be true, but obviously can't know for sure. That sort of thing is normally documented in the manual as it's not something that you add to the ground combat model as an afterthought.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/11/2017 5:26:27 AM)

quote:

quote:

To be honest, I'm not certain - I haven't tested it. Maybe GetAssista will do so. But everything we've been told/hinted at (that I can think of) says Combat Mode is Combat Mode.

One thing I will mention, though, is that I've done lots of moving in Combat Mode while retreating and been attacked and never once seen an "op mode(-)", so if there is a penalty it has either (a) never risen to the level of triggering the message in the report, or (b) been coded such that there is no message, just a penalty. For sample size reasons, I think (a) is unlikely although of course possible. I don't think (b) would be true, but obviously can't know for sure. That sort of thing is normally documented in the manual as it's not something that you add to the ground combat model as an afterthought.

I think units (including ships) that are moving are easier to detect than units that are not, so it is possible that an LCU moving in combat mode gets a slightly higher D/L so the enemy's attack is more effective.

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/11/2017 6:10:37 AM)

quote:

quote:

I know there won't be an op mode (-) message and combat mode is slower moving due to maintaining combat posture, I just figure there are coded-in consequences for moving. But - I don't know for sure.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/11/2017 8:35:21 PM)

9/20-21/44

We've run two turns today, but I've been pretty busy at work and thus unable to post.

I'll post in more detail in a few hours, but here's the favorable trend in strategic bombing the past two days.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/F6A990B01D90437DB3EA946AC2EB6971.jpg[/image]

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/11/2017 8:53:03 PM)

Don't forget that strat bombing will face a law of diminishing returns as industry gets knocked out and there is less to hit.
I am sure John has cranked up his night fighter factories too. Those fighters may not shoot down many planes but they can sure spoil their aim.

Bif1961 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/11/2017 9:23:47 PM)

Good luck this is what the B-29 was made for.

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/11/2017 9:30:14 PM)

I suspect you will net far more than 10,000 vp in a 4 weeks.

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/11/2017 9:43:18 PM)

Well , you are hardly predicable in what targets you select. He has to spread his AA and NF around as much as possible so you can pick and choose for now. That being said he knows you are unpredictable so maybe hit the same target a few nights in a row and get those fires raging. They keep giving for a few nights. Not sure what the optimal altitude is but you won't be able to stay above the highest range of AAA so don't be afraid to come in low some nights. Obviously your B-24's are not going to be able to pick as many targets but their low service rating will keep them flying. I think I mentioned that units flying from the , in range HQ that they are all assigned to will increase coordination and I think repair faster (fixed as per my editor [:D]).

BTW, to the Team Nippon folks in the gallery. How many squads does the empire usually have in the pools in 1945? John can rebuild destroyed units but the numbers of destroyed squads is in the thousands this month. That can't be sustainable

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/11/2017 10:10:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

I think I mentioned that units flying from the , in range HQ that they are all assigned to will increase coordination and I think repair.

Really?

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/11/2017 10:21:27 PM)

Fixed! and thanks

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/11/2017 10:48:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

I think I mentioned that units flying from the , in range HQ that they are all assigned to will increase coordination and I think repair.

Really?

I don't think so.

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/11/2017 11:09:52 PM)

WE PASSED !

7.2.1.5 AIR HQS AND AIR MISSIONS Air HQ’s will help air operations within their Operational Radius. Level bombers not located within an air HQ’s Command Radius will have their number of planes flying reduced by 25% for Offensive Missions. All other air strike Missions by units outside an air HQ’s command radius will have the flying planes reduced by 10%. The Command Radius of an HQ is displayed on its Ground Unit Information screen in the top left corner.

Before Level Bombers fly an Offensive Mission, they must pass 3 tests in order to fly all of their ready aircraft:
» An experience test
» A leadership test
» A morale test
...in order to fly all of their planes.
For each test failed, the number of bombers that fly the Mission will be reduced by 25%.

[image]local://upfiles/55056/775BF87CAA3B4A458A0885B491E276EC.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/11/2017 11:20:53 PM)

9/20-21/44

[image]local://upfiles/8143/0068B4BD2EB141BE955BE18B77358443.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/11/2017 11:34:34 PM)

9/21/44

John may be planning a carrier raid into the northern Pacific....or these tankers and oilers may be transporting fuel to the Home Islands.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/6838F88F6B57401183FE1A6021825722.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/12/2017 12:20:24 AM)

9/21/44

It's now critical to know the whereabouts and course of the DEI KB divisions.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/BB05F2CFD81C4252B4B703D04786B382.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/12/2017 12:26:44 AM)

9/21/44

Main LOC between Oz and the DEI is more secure now that Darwin and Fenton are in Allied hands.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/CB770F3DA09146D088DED9597A078D27.jpg[/image]

AcePylut -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/12/2017 1:27:49 AM)

Screw that man, invade the Home Islands and make the match more interesting :)

AcePylut -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/12/2017 1:28:11 AM)

Or at least drop a nuke or two when you get a chance :):D

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/12/2017 1:29:36 AM)

You are such a tease. The details are somewhere in the fine print, I bet.[sm=terms.gif][;)]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/12/2017 6:23:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut
Screw that man, invade the Home Islands and make the match more interesting :)

What's about to transpire in the game should make good reading; perhaps even compelling reading, if you're following John's AAR.

Given the current state of the game, he should be anticipating a looming Allied invasion of the Home Islands or close by. He's already missed several chances to attack with massed arms (KB, LBA and combat ships), but he likely assumes that he's about to get bigger and better chances when the Allied ship hordes approach Japan or Shanghai.

I think that's the way he's configuring his defenses but the game is about the change drastically. The weight of Allied amphibious operations will switch to the DEI while Death Star will soon patrol the Formosa region to protect it as a platform for the strategic bombing campaign.

It is likely that I'll engage in a large overland (mostly) campaign for the Ningpo/Shanghai sector, seeking a few good airfields closer to Japan than are Foochow and Formosa.

And there will probably come a day when I'll consider another invasion - perhaps Korea or Sikhalin Island or Hokkaido.

But this is one of the few times where I've experienced a plan surviving contact with the enemy. It looks like I had just enough experience under my belt to conceive, organize and implement a plan that can succeed militarily and from a gaming (victory point) standpoint.

morejeffs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/12/2017 6:30:27 AM)

I could be mistaken (feel free to correct me)...Is AV in Korea part of the Manchuria garrison? Ie, if you can kill a bunch of AV in a Korean invasion, that might get the Manchurian garrison under the requirement level and possible trigger the soviets? I am sure John would be very happy to have the Soviets join in on the fun.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/12/2017 6:33:07 AM)

I don't think Korea is part of Manchuria for garrison purposes.

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/12/2017 7:21:41 AM)

quote:

I don't think Korea is part of Manchuria for garrison purposes.

But it sure would knock the wind out of Japan's sails!

Page: <<   < prev  375 376 [377] 378 379   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI