RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Lecivius -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 1:23:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
New Hampshire - Mt Washington will be a serious challenge. Besides the elevation (6288 ft),

I live at that altitude [:D] [8D] Hiking around here starts at 10k [:'(]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 2:14:00 PM)

That's true but not the whole truth.

In the Appalachians, hikes start at 1k or 2k and go to 4k or 6k. You climb or descend at 500 to 700 feet per mile, a tough gradient with a pack on....especially if you're doing it in southern heat and humidity or New England wind, cold and rain.

In the Rockies, hikes may start at 8k and go to 12k. But the climbs and descents go on forever and forever, because many of the trails were originally meant to handle pack animals. The grade might be 100 to 200 feet per mile, which is relatively easy going, especially when the temperatures are moderate and the humidty low.

Sunday I talked to a young lady who had done 350 miles on the Pacific Coast Trail earlier this year, baiing out of slipping and sliding down a snow field. Regarding the comparative difficulties of the two trails, she said, "The AT is a ball buster."

P.S. There are very steep and tough trails in the Rockies, and the weather can be more brutal than anything I'd ever experience in the southern Appalachians. But the greater elevations out west aren't really good for comparison purposes.

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 2:52:07 PM)

quote:

greater elevations
don't always make for a harder hike...

Panama

[image]local://upfiles/55056/06541FDD5B2240058456650336809C80.jpg[/image]

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 2:54:28 PM)

Lodging can be found naturally.

A small tree. Many were big enough to provide 4 or more bedrooms..

[image]local://upfiles/55056/B75B25DDF8EA4121B4C62F6437C1ED29.jpg[/image]

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 3:02:13 PM)

Plenty of elevations, both natural and man-made. The dirt and rocks from the canal digging were claimed by the jungle.

Ive probably walked all and have slept on at least one of those hills.

[image]local://upfiles/55056/30FFB6484C4D4813A95562B7A5515626.jpg[/image]

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 3:07:30 PM)

Where in Japan are you planning to hike?

quote:

Strategic Bombing: Most bombers declined to fly or got lost in the night. Tomrrow, large raids ordered vs. Nagasaki and Kanoya.

Are weather and moon a factor or is it just "FLY MY PRETTIES!"

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 3:12:06 PM)

Moon is about 55% but weather hasn't been good.

Your photos of Panama look like humid hiking in dank woods. Arg! That'd be brutal!

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 3:30:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Your photos of Panama look like humid hiking in dank woods. Arg! That'd be brutal!

When they opened the door of the plane it was SOUP and got worse from there. Non stop sweating then the P..rickly Heat. You could not wear underwear as it would chafe your legs raw. The southern US can't hold a candle to its humidity.

Bugs...bugs... always something crawling on you.

And when the light turned out at night the concert began..... A cacophony symphony of infinite instruments that echoed inside you. AHHH..... but it laid out a carpet for sneaking at night.

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 5:11:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Where in Japan are you planning to hike?

quote:

Strategic Bombing: Most bombers declined to fly or got lost in the night. Tomrrow, large raids ordered vs. Nagasaki and Kanoya.

Are weather and moon a factor or is it just "FLY MY PRETTIES!"

quote:

Sorry I was unclear, rushing around today...

Not just for that one mission

Are weather and moon factors in your past and future decisions when sending out your strategic bombers or is it just "FLY MY PRETTIES!"

[image]local://upfiles/55056/F51A05FFAD0E436082F2C27545F1A08B.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 5:50:41 PM)

It's just "fly my pretties."

I don't micromanage weather. Often, the squadrons seem to exercise good judgment by not flying when the weather is bad. And forecasts can be wrong so that players sometimes miss good weather or hit bad weather by trying to abide by forecasts (I think).

By rotating my bombers carefully, managing fatigue or pilots and aircraft, I find that weather doesn't seem to be a major issue and that ops losses are minimal.

A much bigger factor is occasionally leaving a squadron on daytime ops, which usually does result in losses to CAP. That seems to be a bigger issue than weather. So I try to mind the settings and not mind the weather, trusting the AI to handle that.

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 8:22:50 PM)

quote:

It's just "fly my pretties."

I don't micromanage weather. Often, the squadrons seem to exercise good judgment by not flying when the weather is bad. And forecasts can be wrong so that players sometimes miss good weather or hit bad weather by trying to abide by forecasts (I think).

By rotating my bombers carefully, managing fatigue or pilots and aircraft, I find that weather doesn't seem to be a major issue and that ops losses are minimal.

A much bigger factor is occasionally leaving a squadron on daytime ops, which usually does result in losses to CAP. That seems to be a bigger issue than weather. So I try to mind the settings and not mind the weather, trusting the AI to handle that.

I find myself doing that for daylight missions, weather can be so unpredictable. I do try to get the night missions on good weather and moon cycles, since for night missions the weather is known, at least thats what Ive been concluding, tho it may be wrong.

What was the "seen wildlife" manifest from the jaunt?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 10:24:26 PM)

The manifest included:

1. A small copperhead that struck at Anne; I moved it out of the trail with my hiking stick when I came up a few minutes later.
2. About ten deer - that's a lot in my experiences on the AT.
3. A few rabbits.
4. Heard a few coyotes.
5. Semi-wild horses roaming the Grayson Highlands.
6. Cows roaming the highlands and longhorns in fences beside the trail.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 10:35:17 PM)

9/27/44

NoPac: KB North remains in the Aleutians, which is where I want them.

John caught wind of Half Death Star & Its Herd west of Eniwetok today. They are 57 hexes from KB North and have a decided advantage in making it to safety. Heck, Manokwari is just 37 hexes away. So I don't think KB North will head for CenPac; it'll probably head for the Home Islands and Formosa.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/60CDDD7EC8664F9ABD8D3A92115A55C4.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 10:48:58 PM)

9/27/44

DS & Half DS: I don't think John's carriers can contest passage of Half DS at this point. But John may load up Truk and other nearby airfields. I'm interesting in seeing. Half DS has a lot of fighters, though too many FM-2s. I think it can provide for its own security, but that's not guaranteed.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/F5BC62CC0D7B4A6FBCBDF8AA12E509A2.jpg[/image]

Will_L -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 10:50:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Vermont - Mt Mansfield is not too bad a hike, but the trail down to Stowe has some challenging sections. You will need to focus on the trail and not the scenery. I know this is at least 10 years away. [;)]

New Hampshire - Mt Washington will be a serious challenge. Besides the elevation (6288 ft), the weather up there can be nasty. Snow in late August and winds can go over 100mph.

Does the trail up Mt. Mansfield from Deer Peak/Madonna Mtn. still go up through that chimney?
That was kind of fun when I did the Long Trail years ago.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/19/2017 10:57:46 PM)

9/27/44

A good day, as enemy forces didn't molest important Allied forces, Allied 4EB effectively hit Nagasaki and Kanoya (not Kagoshima, as it says on the map), and 9th Aus. Div. arrives and will attack at Karenko tomorrow.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/5D8B541EC756463FAFD8F88D3211DA97.jpg[/image]

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/20/2017 2:41:08 AM)

quote:

That's true but not the whole truth.

In the Appalachians, hikes start at 1k or 2k and go to 4k or 6k. You climb or descend at 500 to 700 feet per mile, a tough gradient with a pack on....especially if you're doing it in southern heat and humidity or New England wind, cold and rain.

In the Rockies, hikes may start at 8k and go to 12k. But the climbs and descents go on forever and forever, because many of the trails were originally meant to handle pack animals. The grade might be 100 to 200 feet per mile, which is relatively easy going, especially when the temperatures are moderate and the humidty low.

Sunday I talked to a young lady who had done 350 miles on the Pacific Coast Trail earlier this year, baiing out of slipping and sliding down a snow field. Regarding the comparative difficulties of the two trails, she said, "The AT is a ball buster."

P.S. There are very steep and tough trails in the Rockies, and the weather can be more brutal than anything I'd ever experience in the southern Appalachians. But the greater elevations out west aren't really good for comparison purposes.

Only in the passes. If you are hiking the many mountain trails then the assents and decents are very sharp. And the oxygen is quite thin. But all in all I liked that better than hiking in heat.

adarbrauner -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/20/2017 8:51:07 AM)

1 "a small copperhead that stroke at Anne"

Did the serpent bite her??

morejeffs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/20/2017 9:27:02 AM)

Who is planning to hike in Japan? Feel free to mail me! I often hike Mt Takao (easy but lovely hike) and just did Mt Fuji with my son (Fuji is only open to the general public until September).

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/20/2017 1:23:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: morejeffs

Who is planning to hike in Japan? Feel free to mail me! I often hike Mt Takao (easy but lovely hike) and just did Mt Fuji with my son (Fuji is only open to the general public until September).

I was hinting that CR may be hiking in Japan, Game-Wise.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/20/2017 1:34:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

1 "a small copperhead that stroke at Anne"

Did the serpent bite her??

The copperhead struck at her and missed, coming up short. It startled her, of course. I came up a minute or two later and nudged it aside with my hiking stick.

It was perhaps 15-18 inches long - I think too small to have been able to bite her ankle even if it could have reached it. Typically, copperhead bites are quite painful but not life threatening except to the very young, very old, or health impaired. But they are mean looking critters.

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/20/2017 1:40:41 PM)

Ive never done the Appalachian Trail. From a historical perspective it would be a great experience to walk in the footsteps of those who traveled the intertwining peace paths, trade paths and war paths, whose remaining remnants makeup the Appalachian Trail.

For Japan Formosa is almost No-mor-sa.

adarbrauner -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/20/2017 2:01:31 PM)

Was she caught by surprise? Was the serpent in the middle of the trail, or came and struck from aside? Do you bring with you/ have you ever brought poison antidotes?

Is it frequent, in your experience, to stumble on a serpent in those trails? I'm in a country exceptionally rich with serpents and scorpions, unfortunately, but it never happened to me, thanks to the Lord, to stumble over one or see it this year, meanwhile.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/20/2017 2:39:06 PM)

The copperhead was well-camouflaged in the middle of the trail, so she walked up on it.

In the southern Appalachians there are three kinds of poisonous snakes: timber rattlesnakes (the biggest and most dangerous), pygmy rattlesnakes, and copperheads. I do a heckuva lot of outdoors activity - far, far more than most people. I hike hundreds of miles a year in these mountains. Half the time or more I'm by myself. I occasionally run across vipers - maybe three or four times a year on average - enough to be alert to the possibility but not to obsess over it. I am far more concerned about lightning.

Since 2007, I've backpacked 500+ miles in 13 trips on the AT. I saw two copperheads and one timber rattler year one; I think this copperhead was the only other viper I've encountered on the AT. That first year, I was turned around to sit on a huge log in a mountain gap when my then 12-year-old son John walked up and exclaimed, "Daddy, rattlesnake!" It was a small copperhead coiled right where I was about to sit. My butt would've gotten bit if the snake could've worked its mouth to advantage.

I do occasionally encounter timber rattlers - big, fat, intimidating ones - on Lavender Mountain or Strawberry Mountain or Horn Mountain here near home. A rattlesnake bite can be a matter of serious concern, though sometimes they dry-bite, not injecting any venom.

I do not carry snake bite antivenin. I don't think that's even available or possible. If I suffered a bite, I'd try to remain calm and walk to the nearest location where I could get transportation to a hospital or make an emergency call. If it was a rattlesnake bite, I'd apply a tourniquet if I could. If it was a copperhead bite I wouldn't.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/20/2017 3:08:59 PM)

9/28/44

DS & Half DS: Just 40 hexes separate them in the western Pacific. KB North and KB South are out of position to intervene, I believe.

This is a complicated little dance, but I don't feel like there are "too many moving parts." John lacks combat TFs or carriers in theater. I think Half DS can handle security against his LBA; any enemy air strikes are likely to get eaten alive; subs aren't a huge concern because this theater has been quiet and its likely that his subs are far away.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/ABDB97143DDF492598B8DFD51AE88FF6.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/20/2017 3:26:51 PM)

9/28/44

Peep Show II: To this point, John hasn't found a way to help himself in this theater while Death Star has been far away. DS will be back in 5 to 10 days.

Fairly effective bombing run vs. Kagoshima last night.

Encouraging attack at Karenko.

When DS, Half DS, and all that supply make it to Formosa and China in a few weeks, the pace of the war will increase dramatically.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/F01E4D2419E246C799C4EC84FC661019.jpg[/image]

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/20/2017 3:46:38 PM)

That's a bad neighborhood to have to carry your groceries through.

I live where snakes are common. I have several King snakes that live around the outside of the house. They crawl up the drainpipes and hangout in the gutters. One snake is over six foot.

On the porch looking out one day and a Copperhead shot out of the woodline into the yard about 3 feet and stopped. And you could tell he was panicked from his actions and even the look on his face. He stayed there for about 10 seconds then he bustled along the woodline for about 20 feet and then slithered back into the woods. A few minutes later a King Snake slowly slithered out from where the Copperhead had shot out from, moved in the direction the Copperhead had gone and went back into the woodline a little past where the Copperhead went back in. Better than the movies!

Venom wise, some say a smaller snake will put more poison into a human than a bigger snake will. The smaller snake will let all his venom out even for a "you are treading on me" strike. Leaving him outta hunting ammo for awhile.

jwolf -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/20/2017 3:52:01 PM)

CR -- you had a US division in China that was badly mauled by Japanese attacks. Has that division recovered much since it arrived back to base?

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/20/2017 4:07:42 PM)

Are you following any particular strategy in your nightbombing...or just experimenting?

For example did you target engines specifically, or did they just get damaged from manpower attacks?

There are interdependencies in Japanese industry...they can be exploited.

Lecivius -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (7/20/2017 4:36:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Are you following any particular strategy in your nightbombing...or just experimenting?

For example did you target engines specifically, or did they just get damaged from manpower attacks?

There are interdependencies in Japanese industry...they can be exploited.

Having never played Japan, isn't Manpower what you want to target, and let the fires do the work? In other words, target a specific city because it makes a type of fighter, but still target manpower with the idea that fires will damage the factory? Just curious.

Page: <<   < prev  379 380 [381] 382 383   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI