(Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

rbrunsman -> (1/14/2003 10:59:03 PM)

I liked the battle scenes in Thin Red Line. Taking that hill full of Japanese MG nests was pretty cool I thought. It really gave you a sense of how challenging it is to "take a hill."

Has anyone seen Apocalypse Now Redux? Is it worth seeing just for the added footage?

Stefdragon -> Re: Re: Thin Red Line (1/14/2003 11:22:50 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Old Eagle101
[B]The absolute worst thing about the odius dreck that was "The Thin Red Line" is that it will probably stop people from reading the book. It was a great WW2 book, one of the best. The 2nd issue of the "From Here to Eternity" trilogy. [/B][/QUOTE]

I will certainly read the book if you feel that strongly about it.

As far as the movie goes, I haven't seen it in a while, but I'm a little confused as to some of the extreme negative reactions I have seen posted here about it.

It is my recollection that the movie was brooding, introspective,
with the rawness of battle at times, pastorally beautiful at other times.

Do you not like it because it doesn't follow the book faithfully?
The direction, cinematography, or script?
The actors!! You don't like Sean or Yonny?(Trabolta!! He's an ace commercial pilot by the way. Flies his own jet I believe.)

Just curious about that. I'll have to rent it again, or see on the telly if it ever does come around again.

:)

Stefdragon -> A. Now Redux! (1/14/2003 11:31:48 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rbrunsman
[B]I liked the battle scenes in Thin Red Line. Taking that hill full of Japanese MG nests was pretty cool I thought. It really gave you a sense of how challenging it is to "take a hill."

Has anyone seen Apocalypse Now Redux? Is it worth seeing just for the added footage? [/B][/QUOTE]

I completely agree about that scene from TRL. I thought it was scary as hell. I could feel the Jap bullets popping through the tall grass as if they were next to me. When a guy would get hit, I almost felt like I was getting hit. Great small unit battle scene!

Rent The Redux. I loved the movie before the Redux, and I loved it even more with the Redux! You're gonna ask about the difference. The main obvious scene addition is when Sheen visits a French Mansion deep in the jungle. Other than that, a whole bunch of stuff that's too numerous to even mention.

Check it out!

:)

Raindog101 -> Re: Re: Re: Thin Red Line (1/15/2003 8:05:08 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stefdragon
[B]I will certainly read the book if you feel that strongly about it.

As far as the movie goes, I haven't seen it in a while, but I'm a little confused as to some of the extreme negative reactions I have seen posted here about it.

It is my recollection that the movie was brooding, introspective,
with the rawness of battle at times, pastorally beautiful at other times.

Do you not like it because it doesn't follow the book faithfully?
The direction, cinematography, or script?
The actors!! You don't like Sean or Yonny?(Trabolta!! He's an ace commercial pilot by the way. Flies his own jet I believe.)

Just curious about that. I'll have to rent it again, or see on the telly if it ever does come around again.

:) [/B][/QUOTE]
First I’ll give where due. Beautiful Photography, solid cast and impressive combat scenes.
The movie started off with a bang. The battle for the hill was stirring and extremely well done.

The second part is where it lost me. The director’s self indulgent atheistic wet dreams and Private Witt’s disembodied voice sprouting psuedo-poetic leftist drivel and 50’s Venice Beach beatnik poetry. I felt like I was in a coffee house listening to Maynard G. Krebs blather enviro non-sense, instead of a theater watching a war movie.

Something else has made me suspicious. My wife liked it. She does not like war movies, but she liked this one. Hmmm…

I am going to give it a second shot, because so many other people I respect have said how good it was.

As usual it was nothing like the book. The same characters and that’s about it.

NAVMAN -> (1/15/2003 2:50:44 PM)

Don't think anyone has mentioned this one:"The Gallant Hours",
with James Gagney. Pretty good movie. Gagney plays Halsey from the time he takes command in the S. Pac. thru the Yamamoto shoot down.Low key acting,semi-documentary style. Also some scenes from the Japanese point of view. Interesting take on the 'canal situation. It's on tape.

showboat1 -> (1/17/2003 11:38:26 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by afonzie
[B]pearl harbor was good as a love-story at the moment the japs showed up it became so bad that I couldn't care anymore. [/B][/QUOTE]

Are you nuts!?!? The love story was shallow, unbelievable, and porrly acted out. Ben Affliction had to be the most miscast member of this group of miscasts. The only decently entertaining performance in this entire abomination was Tom Sizemore as the sargeant.

afonzie -> (1/18/2003 5:15:30 AM)

It wasn´t as bad as a love story as it was as a warmovie

afonzie -> (1/18/2003 5:24:24 AM)

I don't think the japanese lost all soldiers in close combat as in TRL:) I think artilery had something to do with it. The US strengh is the firepower not heropower. If you look at all the movies the germans sucks in small unit fighting but if you look at history it is not like that. In TRL and Saving Private Ryan the only time the japs and germans can hit anything is with machinegun from bunkers. I read that for every german casuality the allied had 1,5, the all of casualitys must have been on the beaches.

afonzie -> (1/18/2003 5:35:25 AM)

I have seen a realy bad war movie about an island in the pacific. The japs had snipers in the treetops and they laughed when they fired MG's at the marines. But the movie was made during WWII. But the modern movies are almost as bad as that one. Does USA constantly need propaganda?

Raindog101 -> (1/18/2003 5:44:11 AM)

[B]I have seen a realy bad war movie about an island in the pacific. The japs had snipers in the treetops and they laughed when they fired MG's at the marines. But the movie was made during WWII. But the modern movies are almost as bad as that one. Does USA constantly need propaganda? [/B][/QUOTE]
Afonzie, dont fall into the trap of equating propaganda with patriotism. If you want to see a really, really good WW2 PROPAGANDA movie, try to get ahold of "The Purple Heart" made in 1944. It's about the trial of one of Doolittle's Raiders B-25 crew captured by the Japanese. This movie weaves the perfect blend of Propaganda, suspense and a touch of patriotism. Hard to find the movie though. One shows up on eBay now and then.

afonzie -> (1/18/2003 6:39:07 AM)

I have seen a screen shot from Midway when Robert mitchum stands behind a "ploting" table. But in the movie he never leaves the hospital. good movies: Cross of iron. a bridge too far, glory, gettysburg? midway. But I don't like that they use T-34/85 in cross of iron and leopar tanks in a bridge too far a minor error is that the brittish only use firefly? tanks

Brigz -> (1/18/2003 7:15:37 AM)

[B]I have seen a screen shot from Midway when Robert mitchum stands behind a "ploting" table. But in the movie he never leaves the hospital. good movies: Cross of iron. a bridge too far, glory, gettysburg? midway. But I don't like that they use T-34/85 in cross of iron and leopar tanks in a bridge too far a minor error is that the brittish only use firefly? tanks [/B][/QUOTE]

Cross of Iron - excellent.
Bridge Too Far - Not bad
Glory - very excellent.
Midway - lukewarm
Gettysburg - I don't really see why everyone seems to think this is such a great movie. I guess because it's the only movie of it's kind concerning a single CW battle. The acting, photograpy, and battle scenes were much, much better in Glory. The only part of Gettysburg that comes close are the scenes of the 20th Maine. In Glory, the first skirmish and the assault on the fort were much more realistic than the battle scenes in Gettysburg.

afonzie -> (1/18/2003 9:20:26 PM)

Is there a cut and uncut version of Midway? Yes the little round top scene is very good. The ones that like cross of iron should like the finnish movies (bakåll) "ambush" and (vinterkriget) "winterwar" I don't know the english titles. Battle of Britain is very good. Stalingrad has a few good scenes and I think I liked das boot but i don't remember

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI