RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

Falken -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/18/2018 9:47:10 PM)

Skip that part for now... When you complete the rest of the Setup for turn 1, you can return to the unit resize tab before you end your turn, and you will have plenty of pilots in the pool.

I do the same thing you do.. I start with the resize, then I go through all the other stuff in the Setup tab, and then I go back and fill all the pilot items from the resize tab.

Kull -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/18/2018 11:00:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gormadoc

This is a Goldmine.

One question about the "CVL-CVE-CS unit Rezise plan."

4) Once again create the Air Combat TF containing only CVL Zuiho (undocked) and transfer the now-Size 12 Kate unit to Hiroshima, add 18 Veteran Pilots, set unit to Train: 100-Naval Attack, Alt: 8K, Range: 0
8) Divide the Claude Unit, upgrade "A" and "C" to Zero (will place 10 Zeros in each subunit), +5 Claudes to "B" (getting it up to full size), +5 Veteran Pilots each for "A" and "C"

Where do you get all Veteran pilots from?
I have 0 Veteran pilots unassigned when i start scenario 1

Cheers

Good point, I didn't address that as a specific issue (i.e. "where to get them") because it's a result of what happens when you follow all the other steps in the spreadsheet. One way to find them is to use the Column L filter button on the "Japan Set-up" tab, pick "Text Filter", and then "Contains..." and then type in "pilots". That will downselect to 67 data rows. The biggest contributors are:

1) Most fighter pilots come from Yokosuka Ku S-1 (row 2699) which gives you 23 Veterans. You still need 4 more (see below)

2) Most torpedo bomber pilots come from Yokosuka Ku K-2 (row 2703) which gives you 36 Veterans. You only need 29 for this task, so there will be extras.

In the comments section of those 67 rows, look for units that have green text stating that the "Long Term Plan" is for this to be a "training unit". That means ALL veterans in those units can be released, which is where you'll get the rest of those needed.

Just be careful NOT to release IJN torpedo and medium bomber pilots into the pool at the same time. You won't be able to tell the difference between a former Betty pilot and a Kate pilot, and if you pick the wrong one to pilot the torpedo bomber (or vice versa), they'll take an experience hit.

Gormadoc -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/21/2018 9:18:14 PM)

aha, thanks.

Never got that far down on the Japan set-up page, before my greedy eyes spotted the CVL/CVE unit Resize plan.

This game has been sitting more or less unused for 4 years on my PC.
Never got around to finish a setup plan on my own.

So thank you very much for posting this one.

rustysi -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/23/2018 7:42:49 PM)

quote:

Once again create the Air Combat TF containing only CVL Zuiho (undocked) and transfer the now-Size 12 Kate unit to Hiroshima, add 18 Veteran Pilots, set unit to Train: 100-Naval Attack, Alt: 8K, Range: 0

Repeat after me... Never, ever put pilots that require training on an active carrier.

quote:

Divide the Claude Unit, upgrade "A" and "C" to Zero (will place 10 Zeros in each subunit), +5 Claudes to "B" (getting it up to full size), +5 Veteran Pilots each for "A" and "C"

Again... Never, ever puts Claude's on an active carrier. Except to go into a port so you may upgrade to Zero's.

quote:

Where do you get all Veteran pilots from?

If necessary pull them from your LBA units. This is your 'JV', your carriers are for Varsity pilots only.

rustysi -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/23/2018 7:48:10 PM)

quote:

Just be careful NOT to release IJN torpedo and medium bomber pilots into the pool at the same time. You won't be able to tell the difference between a former Betty pilot and a Kate pilot, and if you pick the wrong one to pilot the torpedo bomber (or vice versa), they'll take an experience hit.

So as to avoid confusion, you could just release the pilots to 'group' and then from 'vetereans... group' you could transfer them from their current group straight to the carrier group.

RangerJoe -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (2/28/2019 6:11:45 PM)

Thank you for this. I am trying Japan seriously for the first time. The other time it was overwhelming . . .

simast -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/6/2019 11:05:28 AM)

Thank you for this spreadsheet... I actually went through it all and the map alone after the initial setup was worth it imho.

One thing I do not understand is why you are recommending to turn to bombs even when torpedoes are available. I guess there are some game mechanics I do not understand? I thought torpedoes are always better?

Banzai

BBfanboy -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/6/2019 3:55:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gormadoc

aha, thanks.

Never got that far down on the Japan set-up page, before my greedy eyes spotted the CVL/CVE unit Resize plan.

This game has been sitting more or less unused for 4 years on my PC.
Never got around to finish a setup plan on my own.

So thank you very much for posting this one.

I don't know about the veteran pilots list, but other lists like the reinforcement queues are not populated until the first turn is run. That could happen with pilot lists too because a lot of pilot assignments are set as "random" in the database so that they can be distributed by the game engine during the first turn. Leader assignments are similar - some pre-set in the database and some set to random for first turn distribution.
Re-assignments of personnel at the beginning of turn 2 will likely follow all the rules about time delay for transfer, etc.

Alfred -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/6/2019 4:30:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: simast

Thank you for this spreadsheet... I actually went through it all and the map alone after the initial setup was worth it imho.

One thing I do not understand is why you are recommending to turn to bombs even when torpedoes are available. I guess there are some game mechanics I do not understand? I thought torpedoes are always better?

Banzai

1. Torpedoes (a) consume more supply than bombs and (b) are not as abstracted as bombs. IOW torpedoes may not be available even if there is supply.

2. Aircraft dropping torpedoes approach their target firstly at their assigned altitude and then always drop to 200 feet on their final approach run whereas aircraft ((excluding dive bombers) dropping bombs do so at their assigned altitude. This makes aircraft dropping torpedoes more vulnerable to defenders anti-aircraft fire as all flak is within range.

Alfred

Kull -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/6/2019 9:36:52 PM)

quote:

Banzai

Congrats! Getting everything set-up for T2 is a real chore, but you'll be well positioned in the turns to follow.

Alfred hit on several reasons why bombs can be preferable to torpedoes, but what exactly are you referring to when you say "turn to bombs"? If you can give a specific example from the spreadsheet, I can give you a better answer.

simast -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/7/2019 3:33:03 PM)

quote:

Alfred hit on several reasons why bombs can be preferable to torpedoes, but what exactly are you referring to when you say "turn to bombs"? If you can give a specific example from the spreadsheet, I can give you a better answer.

Hmm, I guess KB is good example - 4 out of 6 Kate groups are set to use bombs. Or there is Toko Ku T-1 Det flying naval search with bombs from Kompong Track with Air HQ and torpedoes available on site. (Are torpedoes used with naval search missions by the way?)

In my game the turn after setup - KB engaged a small force of CA and DMS ships - there were 7+ hits with 250 kg bombs on the CA but I somehow doubt it will go down from bombs alone.

And another torpedo related question - when the manual mentions that torpedoes can be supplied from Air HQs based on their command range. If you have Air HQ with command range 1 - does that mean it can provide torpedoes only to air units in the same hex or the same hex and +1 hex away?

Kull -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/7/2019 4:03:13 PM)

quote:

quote:

Hmm, I guess KB is good example - 4 out of 6 Kate groups are set to use bombs. Or there is Toko Ku T-1 Det flying naval search with bombs from Kompong Track with Air HQ and torpedoes available on site. (Are torpedoes used with naval search missions by the way?)

In my game the turn after setup - KB engaged a small force of CA and DMS ships - there were 7+ hits with 250 kg bombs on the CA but I somehow doubt it will go down from bombs alone.

And another torpedo related question - when the manual mentions that torpedoes can be supplied from Air HQs based on their command range. If you have Air HQ with command range 1 - does that mean it can provide torpedoes only to air units in the same hex or the same hex and +1 hex away?

I took a look at the spreadsheet and there are 17 instances in which the "Comments" cell includes the words "Using Bombs". The reason why can be different, so I'll address the major categories:

1) CV Air: As you noticed, 4 of the 6 Kate units in KB were switched from Torpedoes to bombs, and that is largely because carriers have a very limited number of Torpedo sorties available. Following the attack on PH, the KB torpedo inventory is severely reduced for four of the carriers (Akagi & Kaga are down to 18 of 43 while Hiryu & Soryu are at 18 of 36). Only Zuikaku and Shokaku have the full sortie load available (45 of 45). So the idea is to keep your options open, rather than risk expending every torpedo in 4 of the 6 carriers on Day2.

2) Naval Search: The Mavis and Betty/Nell can deploy either torpedoes or bombs, and personally I prefer that long range search planes have bombs for dropping on targets of opportunity (the attacks which only show up as a "ship spotted and attacked" message). Maybe that still happens if they are armed with torpedoes, but that also might make them more susceptible to AA. Possibly also gives them a chance to drop a bomb on a spotted submarine, whereas torpedoes *probably* won't work on that type of target.

That's the majority of cases, although there's a few one-offs involving training or transfer to a non-torpedo sortie CVE.

As to the Command radius, it is defined as "same hex plus radius number". So in your example, it includes the ring of hexes surrounding the HQ. You can see this in action by looking at the torpedo ability of the Nells & Betties on Roi-Namur if you add torpedo sorties to the HQ on Kwajalein.

simast -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/7/2019 5:00:31 PM)

Thank you for your detailed response Kull - this is very useful information that is hard to get out of the manual alone.

Kull -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/7/2019 5:07:06 PM)

quote:

Thank you for your detailed response Kull - this is very useful information that is hard to get out of the manual alone.

To avert the "Wrath of Alfred", I have to clarify that the possible risks/benefits to Naval Search from using bombs as opposed to torpedoes is not substantiated anywhere (that I know of) and is largely based on how I think the code *should* work. As for the manual, it truly is a font of all sorts of important detail, much of which only becomes apparent after many months (and even years) of experience.

AleRonin -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/7/2019 7:32:09 PM)

Thanks Kull for all your spreadsheets, really helpful! [:)]

BBfanboy -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/7/2019 10:20:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

To avert the "Wrath of Alfred", I have to clarify that the possible risks/benefits to Naval Search from using bombs as opposed to torpedoes is not substantiated anywhere (that I know of) and is largely based on how I think the code *should* work. As for the manual, it truly is a font of all sorts of important detail, much of which only becomes apparent after many months (and even years) of experience.

As I understand it, if you have a TB squadrons set to Naval Attack with torpedoes, and then set a % of the squadron to do Nav Search, the game will assume the Nav Search aircraft are carrying bombs. Torps are too heavy and too precious to carry around on a scouting mission. When I have done this with Avenger TBs I have seen (ops) reports of the searching aircraft attacking after detection and even getting a hit , but never any mention of torpedo attack.

Kull -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/7/2019 11:54:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

As I understand it, if you have a TB squadrons set to Naval Attack with torpedoes, and then set a % of the squadron to do Nav Search, the game will assume the Nav Search aircraft are carrying bombs. Torps are too heavy and too precious to carry around on a scouting mission. When I have done this with Avenger TBs I have seen (ops) reports of the searching aircraft attacking after detection and even getting a hit , but never any mention of torpedo attack.

I suspect you are correct. Naval Search (i.e. flying a patterned set of legs) by torpedo laden aircraft is a terrible idea for many reasons (nor are there any historical examples, to my knowledge), so if the code automatically accounts for that, well, it's just one more example of "good coding" by the devs.

Alfred -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/9/2019 3:49:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

I suspect you are correct. Naval Search (i.e. flying a patterned set of legs) by torpedo laden aircraft is a terrible idea for many reasons (nor are there any historical examples, to my knowledge), so if the code automatically accounts for that, well, it's just one more example of "good coding" by the devs.

The good coding is already there.[:)]

See the first paragraph on page 151 of the manual.

Alfred

Kull -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/10/2019 2:44:23 PM)

Thanks Alfred! Yes, it is explicitly called out in the manual. Worth noting that the next bullet down strongly implies that the same rules apply to ASW Missions (which makes total sense, of course).

simast -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/31/2019 11:37:52 AM)

Kull,

In the spreadsheet I noticed that you turn off LCU upgrades for small JAAF AF companies. Why is that?

And another question - do we really need to create Minesweeping TFs at ports? I read some old posts and I assume this should be automated as with minefield maintenance?

Thanks,

Kull -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/31/2019 7:18:49 PM)

quote:

Kull,

In the spreadsheet I noticed that you turn off LCU upgrades for small JAAF AF companies. Why is that?

And another question - do we really need to create Minesweeping TFs at ports? I read some old posts and I assume this should be automated as with minefield maintenance?

Thanks,

I pretty much turn off all automatic upgrades, in order to control which units get updates and when. As a general rule, units near the front-lines get priority. That said, it's level of micromanagement that you may choose to avoid.

Don't confuse Local Minesweeping and Minefield Maintenance. The former have to be present in a non-docked TF and are used to sweep for enemy minefields (should your opponent lay them). This can happen easily enough if a submarine minelayer slips into one of your ports unnoticed. Minefield maintenance on the other hand is performed by a different class of ship, the ACM, and it performs that mission while disbanded in port.

rustysi -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (6/4/2019 6:12:07 PM)

AMc's will form minesweeping TF's while disbanded in a port. They will sweep and then disband. Regular MS's will not do this and need to be formed manually.

ACM's will also do this to maintain mine fields. They will expend fuel to accomplish the mission and will have to be refueled periodically.

sajm0n -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/2/2020 12:38:04 AM)

Hi guys, im trying to follow this spreadsheet for the first time, and i cant figure out what Xfr means here:

Train: 100-Airfield Attack, Alt: 10K, Range: 0 
(Send thirteen 60+ Exp Pilots to ASW Training units; Xfr in thirteen >60 Exp Pilot) 
(Long Term Plan:  IJA Level Bomber Training Unit. 
Add Replacement pilots and transfer them out when they get to 60+ GrdB & 60+ Exp)
Can someone enlighten me please?

BBfanboy -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/2/2020 12:48:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sajm0n

Hi guys, im trying to follow this spreadsheet for the first time, and i cant figure out what Xfr means here:

Train: 100-Airfield Attack, Alt: 10K, Range: 0 
(Send thirteen 60+ Exp Pilots to ASW Training units; Xfr in thirteen >60 Exp Pilot) 
(Long Term Plan:  IJA Level Bomber Training Unit. 
Add Replacement pilots and transfer them out when they get to 60+ GrdB & 60+ Exp)
Can someone enlighten me please?

Xfr is transfer.

sajm0n -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/2/2020 9:44:13 AM)

Yeah i figured it out 5mins after i posted and came back to edit it, but answer was already there lol
To my defence it was 3am at the time [;)]

Anyway thanks Kull for this tool, im pretty sure i would never even try to finish first turn on my own [&o]
Yesterday i spent almost whole day on it and i dont feel like i progressed at all, but with this theres hope [8D]

BBfanboy -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (5/2/2020 5:49:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sajm0n

Yeah i figured it out 5mins after i posted and came back to edit it, but answer was already there lol
To my defence it was 3am at the time [;)]

Anyway thanks Kull for this tool, im pretty sure i would never even try to finish first turn on my own [&o]
Yesterday i spent almost whole day on it and i dont feel like i progressed at all, but with this theres hope [8D]

You may also have been thrown off because the abbreviation is usually written 'xfer'.

scout1 -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (7/18/2020 5:04:54 PM)

Spreadsheet has a tab for "Transport for key LCUs" which lists the 2nd Div (Strat mode) as one of these .... For the life of me, I can't find a "2nd Div" either in the game unit listing or the spreadsheet tab "Japan Setup" .....

Am I merely having a senior moment and not seeing it ?

BBfanboy -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (7/18/2020 5:47:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

Spreadsheet has a tab for "Transport for key LCUs" which lists the 2nd Div (Strat mode) as one of these .... For the life of me, I can't find a "2nd Div" either in the game unit listing or the spreadsheet tab "Japan Setup" .....

2nd Div. could refer to an HQ rather than a Division ...

scout1 -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (7/18/2020 5:58:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

2nd Div. could refer to an HQ rather than a Division ...

Here's a screen shot .... is an Inf Div .....

[image]local://upfiles/13786/944BD3D5FF474F718C91A09681D41062.jpg[/image]

Shellshock -> RE: Japan Set-up Spreadsheet for AE (7/18/2020 6:19:03 PM)

quote:

The Japanese 2nd (Sendai) division is split up all over the place at game start, both on land and embarked on transports. Consequently, it reads as a group of battalions and regiments rather than as a division. Prior to being assigned to the 16th Army, most of it had been serving with the Eastern Army in Japan proper.

[image]local://upfiles/37092/6924D0B2289C4B59B048FEC190F692C7.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI