The walking dead. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

rodney727 -> The walking dead. (3/31/2013 1:59:06 AM)

I was shocked on how many of the actors are from the UK. I love the show. Is it a big hit in England proper?

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 2:45:50 AM)

I was totally suprised by "Rick's" accent.  His american accent is good.  I about fell over.[:D]

rodney727 -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 3:00:01 AM)

I did too!

PunkReaper -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 9:55:15 AM)

It's a big hit in our house..... The original graphic novel is pretty good as well....
It's strange that some actors that were in British tv series a while ago seem to disappear for a while then suddenly reappear in a US hit show... Kudos to them.

wodin -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 12:32:19 PM)

It's a huge hit mate. Funny enough I always wonder if the American audience can spot it's an english actor doing an America accent. As whenever a American actor does an English actor it's usually very obvious as it sounds nothing like any English accent. Rick the Governer (which is crazy because he is unrecognizable from the comedy series Men behaving badly..google or youtube it)and the character that was in the firsts series and back in a couple of series ago are all English.

PunkReaper -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 2:53:34 PM)

Americans doing British accents usually speak upper class, I've been to Eton or Harrow school accents, nothing like the regional accents that dominate British society.

wodin -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 3:22:38 PM)

I'm thinking of "Marwy Popens as I wiv an breave" and also Keanu Reeves in Dracula..

Chickenboy -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 3:23:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
Funny enough I always wonder if the American audience can spot it's an english actor doing an America accent.

It really depends on the actor. Some pull off a flawless American accent. Others have a perpetually 'muddied' accent-the type that sets off your 'fake accent' radar early and often. A few-Ewan McGregor in "Blackhawk Down" springs to mind-have occasional snatches of conversation that jar your ear and make you question the authenticity of the accent in fits and starts.

The explosion of English actors in American productions is, honestly, somewhat troubling to me. Don't we have enough American actors for these sorts of things? Well, I'm at least glad that we can turn the tables on occasion and have fine American actors / actresses doing English characters too. Meryl Streep as the "Iron Lady" comes to mind. [:)] How did English English speakers find her accent? Now, when will Brad Pitt do "Winston Churchill"?

PunkReaper -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 4:05:50 PM)

Meryl Streep as the "Iron Lady"..... Nooooooo don't start me going. Haven't watched it. Nuff said.

wodin -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 4:44:28 PM)

We are cheaper to hire...thats why there was a sudden influx of British actors over in the States.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Funny enough I always wonder if the American audience can spot it's an english actor doing an America accent.

It really depends on the actor. Some pull off a flawless American accent. Others have a perpetually 'muddied' accent-the type that sets off your 'fake accent' radar early and often. A few-Ewan McGregor in "Blackhawk Down" springs to mind-have occasional snatches of conversation that jar your ear and make you question the authenticity of the accent in fits and starts.

The explosion of English actors in American productions is, honestly, somewhat troubling to me. Don't we have enough American actors for these sorts of things? Well, I'm at least glad that we can turn the tables on occasion and have fine American actors / actresses doing English characters too. Meryl Streep as the "Iron Lady" comes to mind. [:)] How did English English speakers find her accent? Now, when will Brad Pitt do "Winston Churchill"?

rodney727 -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 4:48:06 PM)

Yes. AMC is getting very rich tho. Mad men, breaking bad are fantastic too.
quote:

We are cheaper to hire...thats why there was a sudden influx of British actors over in the States.
quote:

quote:

rodney727 -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 4:59:23 PM)

Do you have any trouble understanding any part of other people's accents in the UK? For example for me I have a hard time understanding people who have thick southern or thick northeastern accents in the states.
quote:

It's a huge hit mate. Funny enough I always wonder if the American audience can spot it's an english actor doing an America accent. As whenever a American actor does an English actor it's usually very obvious as it sounds nothing like any English accent. Rick the Governer (which is crazy because he is unrecognizable from the comedy series Men behaving badly..google or youtube it)and the character that was in the firsts series and back in a couple of series ago are all English.

wodin -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 5:24:58 PM)

erm...not really, the odd accent if very thick can be hard to understand like Glaswegian. Most accents are fine to get to grips with. A new accent over here is Caribbean yardie speak that young seem to use..well young in gangs anyway.

Chickenboy -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 6:20:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Meryl Streep as the "Iron Lady"..... Nooooooo don't start me going. Haven't watched it. Nuff said.

Hey, if we can have Daniel Day Lewis doing Abraham Lincoln and whatshisname doing US Grant in the same flick, you can have Meryl Streep doing Thatcher. So, what American actor would do Churchill? [;)]

Kuokkanen -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 6:46:08 PM)

quote:

quote:

Hey, if we can have Daniel Day Lewis doing Abraham Lincoln and whatshisname doing US Grant in the same flick, you can have Meryl Streep doing Thatcher. So, what American actor would do Churchill? [;)]

How about Sean Connery? Oh, wait... He's Scotsman!

PunkReaper -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 7:11:25 PM)

quote:

quote:

I have no problem with actors playing different nationalities provided they can play the part well. Meryl Streep is such an actress. My problem is with films that distort the history in order to make a more exciting story. Look at Braveheart and how that totally inaccurate movie has stoked Scottish nationalism for years.

Darkspire -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 7:20:01 PM)

Spike, Buffy. I thought he was British (I am a Londoner, born and bred), was surprised to find he was an American.

Darkspire

Jevhaddah -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 8:26:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

quote:

How about Sean Connery? Oh, wait... He's Scotsman!

So is Ewan McGregor... [;)]

Just sayin... is all [:D]

Cheers

Jev

wodin -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 9:47:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

Spike, Buffy. I thought he was British (I am a Londoner, born and bred), was surprised to find he was an American.

Darkspire

Really? I thought it was OKish...Christian Bale can pull it off well.

DivePac88 -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 11:40:31 PM)

It's actually really easy for a us Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis to sound like Americans. All we basically have to do; is slow our speech down, talk really really loudly, and say very stupid things. [:'(]

Terminus -> RE: The walking dead. (3/31/2013 11:41:59 PM)

You're getting the American spelling right, too...

wodin -> RE: The walking dead. (4/1/2013 12:24:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

You're getting the American spelling right, too...

Thats prob down to spell checkers constantly telling you you misspelled a word because you used the English version..esp browsers..sometimes I just click change in the end without thinking.

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: The walking dead. (4/1/2013 4:17:22 AM)

I couldn't tell that Rick was english, until later on when he was interviewed. Tonights final for the season was kind of a let down.[:-]
quote:

demyansk -> RE: The walking dead. (4/1/2013 11:17:57 AM)

This show is on the the time
Question
To start watching this show, can you pick it up by just watching the episodes or do you need to start from the beginning? Like the resident evil movies, its better to start from the beginning.

thanks

wodin -> RE: The walking dead. (4/1/2013 1:45:00 PM)

No spoilers

You need to watch them from season 1...I really wouldn't recommend jumping in on a later season..oh and season 2 is slow...real slow..but the end is worth it..season 3..great right through..season 1 acting is poor at first but it gets better.

Chickenboy -> RE: The walking dead. (4/1/2013 2:17:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

It's actually really easy for a us Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis to sound like Americans. All we basically have to do; is slow our speech down, talk really really loudly, and say very stupid things. [:'(]

Aye. Like a true Brit, Aussie, Dane or Kiwi what you say after you slow down your speech and enunciate isn't worth the wait or worth being heard. [:'(]

Chickenboy -> RE: The walking dead. (4/1/2013 2:18:49 PM)

quote:

Christian Bale can pull it off well.

Indeed. I was gobsmacked (that's the right term, idnit?) to discover recently that he's a bleedin' Limey! Woulda never guessed it.

mbar -> RE: The walking dead. (4/1/2013 4:12:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

I loved the part in Godzilla (1998) where Jean Reno is leading his team of French soldiers in New York. He says something like "we need to look American" so he gives them each a stick of gum to chew.

Jamie Bamber as Apollo in Battelstar Galactica has our American accent down pat too.

wodin -> RE: The walking dead. (4/1/2013 4:14:17 PM)

Just watched the finale..can see what you mean..not sure what to think of it..only lots of deaths next season. (hopefully)

Hanal -> RE: The walking dead. (4/1/2013 4:49:04 PM)

I liked the finale and I am always surprised at how the show is veering farther away from the comic at each turn...sometimes I wonder if they think the comic book storyline will just not translate well onto the screen....

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI