General advice (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

Jim Stevens -> General advice (4/11/2013 1:28:46 PM)

Good Day Folks!

I am a relatively new player for AE and I was looking for some play tips. Specifically I am starting the campaign scenario as the Allies with a quiet China. What strategies, tidbits of knowledge, must-do's, don't-do's can you offer as I do the first turn. I haven't come up with anything hard and fast I must do except review all task forces and see if I can put to better use. Like taking control of the subs, getting that lone CL in Panama into the action, and getting a network of search planes set up to keep an eye on my opponent. In the Philippines I have all vessels get the heck outa dodge and sent the ground forces and aircraft to make a stand at Clark and Manila. I do use the older subs in Manila and vicinity to try to harass the JPN operations in the Philippines but that doesn't seem to slow them down much.

In the west I try to get a supply chain going to Australia and build up Rangoon as much as I can. On the Malay peninsula I have all fall back to Singapore for a grand last stand.

But as I said I am new and may be going about this all wrong so I am soliciting opinions and suggestions here.

Thanks for your time!!!

nashvillen -> RE: General advice (4/11/2013 2:21:12 PM)

Jim, welcome to the best money you have ever spent on a game. You will get more hours of satisfaction, frustration, fist pumping exhilaration, collapsing in a puddle crying, etc than almost anywhere else!

Also, if you are in a serious relationship with a significant other, married or not, prepare them for the times you will not be around... [;)]

As for what to do in the beginning, I suggest you look at the AARs, find a couple that go into the beginnings of what to do as the allies. Also, there are several threads here, that I am sure others will give you links to, that go into what you are asking, in depth.

Again, welcome aboard and don't feel afraid to ask questions, we were all there at one time. This is a very friendly board.

dr.hal -> RE: General advice (4/11/2013 2:31:34 PM)

Wow, where to begin! There are a number of threads that were created with folks like you in mind, I would do a search for Allied Player Strategy. Read those rather than wait for folks to come into this thread and give you advice. They will, but that takes time so you might want to be proactive (if you've not done so already) and review things already posted (by the thousands!). As the allies you have three basic strategies (and choosing one really depends upon your opponent, if it is the AI, you can be more "traditional"). The first is stand and fight... this is extremely costly and can end up in a disaster, you can partially run and pick places to stand and fight or finally, you can run like hell and establish bases deep within your domain to stop the flood as it runs out of steam. I would submit that most allied players choose the middle ground (but I could very much be wrong here). You need to run out of the Philippines pretty quick, but I see that you know this already, but then what? Obviously you need to make the Philippines costly so beef up the rock LOTS (especially if you are playing with no limits to supplies) to leave a thorn in the Jap's side. Then decide if you are going to stand in Singapore. This is a difficult decision, but must be done. If you leave that city to the Japanese, then where do you make a stand? Java is a likely place if you can get reinforcements there (from Singapore and maybe the Far East). I would also immediately build up Rangoon and surrounding towns... this is vital in order to stop any westward Japanese expansion. As for Aussieland, Darwin is vital and you need to rush restricted units up there right away (this can only be done by land movement so it will take months to get them there without spending political points, so move immediately). Also Port Moresby needs to be beefed up ASAP. Some folks think that this is a deathtrap to the allies, but I'm not so sure.. it depends upon how quickly you can get troops into that place. From there on you play by ear!

catwhoorg -> RE: General advice (4/11/2013 2:57:43 PM)

Turn off the HI in Australia.
It will suck the fuel you ship there dry early on.

You can of course reactivate later in the game.

btd64 -> RE: General advice (4/11/2013 4:10:31 PM)

Welcome, I agree with DR.hal, to a point. With all due respect Hal[:)]. I dont defend burma except at Akyab. I move everyone, with in reason, to akyab and build it up. supplying Akyab can be tricky. but this is a good base to later retake Burma from. Some may agree some may not. [;)]. But I started this game when it first came out and the original before that, and i can tell you that it will take several games to develope a play style and a stratagy all your own. Have fun with it.
Cheers [sm=00000436.gif]

Encircled -> RE: General advice (4/11/2013 4:53:09 PM)

I've copied these from various threads and they are all very useful
(Hope the links work)
Info for noobs
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2260137&mpage=1&key=torpedo%2Crearming�
Aux ships uses
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2920431
Leader usages
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3171482
Useful info for beginners
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2576157
Air misson co-ordination guide
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2382494&mpage=1&key=
Logistics
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2878790

Jim Stevens -> RE: General advice (4/11/2013 6:05:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: catwhoorg

Sorry but I don't know what HI stands for.

Jim Stevens -> RE: General advice (4/11/2013 6:10:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

I've copied these from various threads and they are all very useful
(Hope the links work)
Info for noobs
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2260137&mpage=1&key=torpedo%2Crearming�
Aux ships uses
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2920431
Leader usages
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3171482
Useful info for beginners
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2576157
Air misson co-ordination guide
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2382494&mpage=1&key=
Logistics
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2878790

Looks like I have my research cut out for me! Thanks for pulling this together.

nashvillen -> RE: General advice (4/11/2013 6:15:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Stevens

quote:

ORIGINAL: catwhoorg

Sorry but I don't know what HI stands for.

Heavy Industry

jmalter -> RE: General advice (4/11/2013 8:58:02 PM)

welcome, Jim Stevens!

have at it in your game, do the things that seem to make sense, & learn as you go. their's lots of resources here as evidenced by the links posted above, & lots of folks willing to answer questions, if you've got a prob. tho' we might larf at you privately, everyone here made their own newb-mistakes & is willing to lend a hand.

if you're playing against the AI, you can expect the situation to develop historically - you WILL lose the entire Phillipines, Malaya, DEI, almost all of the Pacific Islands, & the most of the Solomons before you've scraped up enough combat power to mount a defense. here's my advice:

1) there's a bunch of 'support-type' land-units (LCUs) in the Phillipines, at Singapore, and distributed around the DEI. if you can, try to rescue them, send them to Oz or India, else they'll just die where they are. the most important ones are naval-support Base-Forces, next are air-support BFs, next are the heavy Inf Brigades at Singers. try to salvage something from impending doom!

2) PILOT TRAINING! when the game starts, you'll be badly hampered in the air-war b/c your airgroups are using obsolescent planes staffed w/ mediocre pilots. reinforcements will arrive, it's very important to use them to train pilot skills before committing them to fight, & to preserve existing sqns by withdrawing them, rather than fighting them to extinction.

(it might be necessary to spend PP (to change to an unrestricted HQ) in order to load LCUs for export to the rear. for Dutch airgroups, look at your bases in North Oz, you can change some of them to ABDA-command, then retreat to them as needed.)

3) DON'T mess w/ the KB (the Kido Butai, IJ's hvy carrier TF), it'll clean your clock. Prudently preserve your CVs, train their pilots.

4) execute unrestricted submarine warfare against Japan. start now, never stop. your USN fleet-boats won't have decent torps until 9/43, but they should all be out there trying. meanwhile your USN S-boats, & Dutch subs, have torpedoes that work now!

5) learn the logistics. your future combat capability depends on your ability to send fuel & supply to forward bases. use engr LCUs to build your rear-area port & airfields, look for bases along the 'southern route' (Pennrynn, Tahiti, Pago, Suva) to build up as logistic points, w/ search-PBYs. right now, you need to start sending fuel & supply from SF to Pearl, and start sending fuel from EC to CT (that's USA East Coast to Cape Town, in WitPAEspeak).

best of luck to you for your GC.

John Lansford -> RE: General advice (4/14/2013 2:20:39 PM)

If you haven't already, try the smaller scenarios before tackling one of the campaign games. Coral Sea and the Marianas scenarios are involved enough for you to learn how things work, while not so big as to overwhelm you.

If you have already tried them, then get ready for a long, long, game with the campaigns. My first thought is to go through all your TF's and bases and get a feel for what you have at the start. Then decide what to do with it; basically get ships out of the way of the Japanese juggernaut bearing down on them if they are in the DEI (Dutch East Indies), SE Asia or Philippines. Make sure all cargo/transport ships take something with them, even if it is some supply or fuel; you'll want it later, but you will especially want the ships. Get every tanker and oiler (AO) out of harm's way ASAP; they are worth their displacement in gold early on.

If you have the Pearl Harbor strike option on, after the Japanese first turn is over go look at the carnage. Decide what to save (shipyard repair) and what not to bother with. A BB with 95% damage will take up a lot of space in your shipyard for a long time, while a badly damaged CA can be fixed up faster and you'll use it more anyway.

Save your carriers. Don't p*ss them away on individual raids or attempts to stop the KB. In fact, keep your CV's away from the KB until at least late 1942; let them run around in the DEI and South Pacific and hope your torpedoes work when the subs get a shot at them. You'll get your chance to even the score at Pearl Harbor if you keep your CV's alive.

I always use the ABDA fleet as kind of a sacrificial force in the Dutch East Indies. Until the land based airpower gets too heavy, or the KB comes calling, they can fight the Japanese surface forces and chew up convoys if they get the chance. The AI isn't stupid though and will send some BB's after you if you bloody its nose too much. Dutch and British subs have fully working torpedoes; use them. So do their destroyers for that matter.

Pick a "line in the sand" in the South Pacific and SE Asia and start digging in. Build up the airbases, build your fortifications, withdraw troops to these bases, and stock up supplies. The AI will come to you; let it but if you can, make it pay when you can.

Watch the West Coast; you will get land units activating there and at San Francisco there are a LOT of ships you can use to send supplies/fuel/men to Hawaii and other bases. Los Angeles is overflowing with fuel too. Don't bother hauling oil from the WC; just haul fuel. I do take oil from the Dutch ports for use in Australia, but there's only one or two small refineries there so it's no big deal if you don't. Haul fuel out of bases that the AI is after; haul fuel to your forward bases. Haul fuel to Hawaii. Fuel makes everything go so haul it everywhere, all the time.

Now go and play some turns, make mistakes, win victories, lose victories, and have a lot of fun. I've played this game continuously since it came out; I think I'm on my fourth or fifth game and they never turn out the same way.

leehunt27@bloomberg.net -> RE: General advice (4/15/2013 4:35:37 PM)

Jim, its an amazing life long game. enjoy, take your time, ask lots of questions. looking at some AAR's of big campaigns can be interesting too. it opens your mind to ahistorical possibilities-- like wow, that Allied player ran right up from Darwin to Manila and bypassed the whole central/south pacific! That sort of thing.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI