Beat This--OT (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Bullwinkle58 -> Beat This--OT (4/18/2013 10:27:02 PM)

I'm really, really tired today. In addition to the eight new inches of snow still falling (schools lcosed early due to ice), Girl of the Prairie and I stayed up waaaay to late for a school teacher with a 0430 alarm.

After we watched "How It's Made" on the DVR (briefcses, cropdusters, drag racing clutches), I asked her if I could watch five minutes of the Military Channels's documentary on USMC basic tank crew school. She said sure. Ten minutes in I started to turn it off. She said no way, it was fascinating, and she sat there and watched the whole thing, asking questions the entire time. She especially liked the part about replacing thrown tracks; she's done that on tractors with father and brothers in muddy NoDak fields.

So, beat that, men. Best. Wife. Ever. [8D]

John 3rd -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/18/2013 10:29:21 PM)

Got to love that Gal!

MIne bought me a Union Pacific caboose and she ROCKS!

nashvillen -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 1:18:54 AM)

Mine took a picture of me with three NFL Cheerleaders and bought "A Bridge Too Far" and "The Longest Day" so she could watch them with me and ask questions. Also, she is reading "The Last Stand of the Tin Can Soilders". [&o][&o][&o]

Oh, another thing, she has a ship named after her in the Star Fleet Universe, the auxiliary hospital ship USS 5704 Amy G Curtis![&o]

Not that what you had wasn't great Moose, but, welcome to the club! [:)]

wdolson -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 1:30:13 AM)

Mine encouraged me to blow $350 on a B-24 ride when our finances were tight.

She doesn't tend to like documentaries in general and really doesn't like war stuff, so you have me beat there.

Bill

Lokasenna -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 1:36:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

She doesn't tend to like documentaries in general and really doesn't like war stuff, so you have me beat there.

Bill

Glad she could recognize the once in a lifetime opportunity. Some years ago, my grandfather (he's gone now, recently) took me up in a B-25. Best $75 we ever spent - if I had to choose between buying WITP or that ride, I'd pick the ride.

Cpt Sherwood -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 1:38:11 AM)

The best thing mine did was leave 22 years ago.

tocaff -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 2:00:01 AM)

Mine is a winner because she puts up with me and my gaming with barely a peep. She isn't interested in anything military, but some day she might read my AAR. I say that because she's surprised that I've stuck with it so long and that the hit count continues to grow on an all but abandoned forum.

nashvillen -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 2:44:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

+1

crsutton -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 3:24:06 AM)

When I am snoozing on the beach, mine will wake me when a pretty girl walks by. Been doing that for 30 years now. Top that suckaz![;)]

panzer cat -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 3:43:32 AM)

Floor seats for Eric Clapton in Raleigh 2 weeks ago, love her.

topeverest -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 3:47:50 AM)

Wow.

Best I can say is my wife tolerates my napoleon complex. Though she did like it when I took her dogfighting in some cropdusters. That was pretty cool.

geofflambert -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 4:30:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cpt Sherwood

The best thing mine did was leave 22 years ago.

Are you sure she left? Perhaps you merely passed into another dimension. There is a dimension beyond that which is known to woman. It is a dimension as vast as your man-cave and as timeless as nacho Doritos with French onion dip. It is a middle ground between leaving the toilet seat up and saying "yes, dear" to everything that is said and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his superficiality. This is a dimension of adjudication, a place we call Divorce Court. [8D]

Cpt Sherwood -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 4:56:27 AM)

Actually, she is gone, she died a couple of years ago. I have to admit though, I did not go to her funeral, she could have arisen from the dead, she was mean enough.

Cribtop -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 5:02:14 AM)

Mine watches football and insisted on seeing Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers and The Pacific. She is now steeped in war movies enough to comment on things like out of era weapons in crappy movies (think all those films with M-60s standing in for the German tanks). Also read some of the Hornblower and Aubrey/Maturin books and loved the Hornblower TV show. Finally, she's willing to spend days at a time hiking and hanging out on desolate ranches in West Texas.

danlongman -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 5:04:39 AM)

Wife long gone, girlfriend too. Gotta beat something else.

CaptBeefheart -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 5:59:56 AM)

Don't think I can top you guys, but I once had a girlfriend bring a large bottle of Gatorade to my place on a Saturday morning, knowing and accepting that I was hungover from the night before. Another girlfriend always made sure to raise the toilet seat when she was done (completely unbidden, I'll add).

Cheers,
CC

rockmedic109 -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 6:20:41 AM)

Today is my anniversary. My wife took me shooting and then out to dinner for Steak.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 2:12:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

When I am snoozing on the beach, mine will wake me when a pretty girl walks by. Been doing that for 30 years now. Top that suckaz![;)]

GOTP sits and tries not to laugh when I pause "Stargate" DVDs on the best "Carter scenes." [8D]

Yes, she has watched, with me, all of the "Stargates", all of "Battlestar Galactica", all of "West Wing", all of "Sports Night."

Also "Saving Private Ryan", "Das Boot" (in German), Ken Burns' "The War", "The Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance.". We have "BOB" in shrink wrap. I myself have not yet seen "The Pacific." Will this summer as it's on-demand on HBO.

I plan to break her in easy on "The Sopranos." She doesn't like violence. [:)]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 2:14:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Today is my anniversary. My wife took me shooting and then out to dinner for Steak.

Steak is better than steak, but not as good as STEAK!!!!!! [:'(]

Kwik E Mart -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 5:59:17 PM)

...mine offered me the other half of her bagel and the rest of her coffee this morning...small things...

Encircled -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 7:16:00 PM)

Mine hates wargaming, hates my football team (thats real football for those across the pond) and watches the kind of stuff on TV that drives me from the room.

Love her to bits!

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 8:27:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

...mine offered me the other half of her bagel and the rest of her coffee this morning...small things...

Mmmmmm. Coffee backwash. [:)]

Dixie -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 8:55:31 PM)

Mine puts up with me. [:D] Even though she hates football, war films and is mystified by my interest in most things mechanical.

jeffk3510 -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 9:47:25 PM)

I would say you have a keeper.

Mine just bitches, complains, and nags..nothing too great.

oldman45 -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 10:09:11 PM)

I am not sure I can top some of ya, but my fantasy goddess sat and painted hundreds of 15mm and 6mm troops when I was doing table top. Goes to gaming conventions, and watches war movies. Of course during the war movies she hits the pause button to ask why this or whats that. On top of all this, she is a pastry chef......

Kwik E Mart -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/19/2013 10:33:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

...hey looking gift horses in the mouth, and all that...[;)]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/20/2013 12:45:06 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

...hey looking gift horses in the mouth, and all that...[;)]

Maybe it was the horse what slipped ya the bagel? [:'(]

1EyedJacks -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/20/2013 12:54:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Mine hates wargaming, hates my football team (thats real football for those across the pond) and watches the kind of stuff on TV that drives me from the room.

Love her to bits!

My wife is disinterested in war-gaming, enjoys watching my Cubs games with me, has no interest in my Chicago Bears (that's real football for those across the pond [:D]) and often watches the kind of drivel that drives me from the living room with the television in it.

Love her to bits!

oldman45 -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/20/2013 1:08:00 AM)

quote:

Those little things in the marriage make it all the better.

Justus2 -> RE: Beat This--OT (4/20/2013 4:00:12 AM)

My wife puts up with my crazy habits, brings me dinner at my desk when I'm in the middle of a turn, even bought a mini-fridge for my office as a suprise while I was in Afghanistan. Although she kinda drew the line when I explained my plan for printing and mounting a full-size 9'x11' WITP map on the wall (did I mention that my 'office' is also our bedroom?).

I did mount a 2'x3' version on a magnetic whiteboard, though [;)]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI