RE: Games that let you down (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Terminus -> RE: Games that let you down (9/28/2013 6:58:39 PM)

I'd like to know how the Russians got those Nanuchka missile corvettes across the Atlantic... By transport aircraft, maybe...

Qwixt -> RE: Games that let you down (9/28/2013 7:57:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DSWargamer

So yes, if you want to know, 'what games have let you down?' I'd be saying digital games. They have failed humanity, in allowing us to not require humans to play them. It's like listening to people explain the virtues of playing hide and seek alone and how Solitaire is more fun than a poker night with the gang. Sorry boys, it doesn't wash, and for those that think it is a great thing to not need to play against other, you have my pity.

But solitaire is preferable to a night of gaming with you. I think that's the point you are missing. Then multiply you times a million and you get the internet. Now combine that with VOIP that many games have these days, and you have a perfect storm of neverending rude obnoxious twits available, that you think must listen to them to be effective [:D]

Yeah, give singleplayer every time, and feel free to pity me. The only time I go multiplayer is when the game can isolate me from the asshat behavior of the internet anonymity.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: Games that let you down (9/28/2013 10:08:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

quote:

So yes, if you want to know, 'what games have let you down?' I'd be saying digital games. They have failed humanity, in allowing us to not require humans to play them. It's like listening to people explain the virtues of playing hide and seek alone and how Solitaire is more fun than a poker night with the gang. Sorry boys, it doesn't wash, and for those that think it is a great thing to not need to play against other, you have my pity.

But solitaire is preferable to a night of gaming with you. I think that's the point you are missing. Then multiply you times a million and you get the internet. Now combine that with VOIP that many games have these days, and you have a perfect storm of neverending rude obnoxious twits available, that you think must listen to them to be effective [:D]

Yeah, give singleplayer every time, and feel free to pity me. The only time I go multiplayer is when the game can isolate me from the asshat behavior of the internet anonymity.

Well spoken I agree with you. If nothing else single player games with ai's keep us from having to play with azzhats (another name for troll) like you know who.

DSWargamer -> RE: Games that let you down (9/28/2013 11:58:31 PM)

Two thoughts come to mind.

1. there likely is a need for a few wives to smack a few heads.

2. there likely is a reason why some of you won't have wives, and I don't think it takes a lot of thinking to understand why.

Somehow you boys playing with yourselves is likely better for our species.

Boomer78 -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 2:11:01 AM)

It's a bit of stretch to criticize those who don't want to play socially to the other extreme of basically saying it's a good thing they don't get married or reproduce. Bit of venom in those fangs.

If these introverted players are such a stain on the world of gaming and rest of the world in general, then I guess it's a good thing you don't have to worry about competing against them socially then, huh? How can something that you find offensive and against your lifestyle be so egregious if it's something that you aren't exposed to due to choice?

Perturabo -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 4:37:47 AM)

quote:

Two thoughts come to mind.

1. there likely is a need for a few wives to smack a few heads.

2. there likely is a reason why some of you won't have wives, and I don't think it takes a lot of thinking to understand why.

Somehow you boys playing with yourselves is likely better for our species.

Or maybe rather you should work on basics of human interaction? Because for a "social person" you're shockingly inept at it.

You can't expect that you're going to be met with anything but hostility if you refer to people in patronizing way ("you boys" - notice how there wasn't any "you girls" in this discussion - maybe because patronizing and infantilization of adult interlocutors isn't acceptable in civilized world) and talk about how their entertainment shouldn't be acceptable and display complete disregard for their feelings and needs.

Either you play by the rules and stay relatively polite and considerate or you have to expect that people will become equally rude to you. And complaining about people being rude to you when you're rude to them first and continue being rude, is a sign of complete lack of honour, which is rather disgusting.

nate25 -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 5:14:35 AM)

Why are you folks even dignifying her posts with responses?

It gives them significance they lack in reality. What a pathetic way to gain attention.

Perturabo -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 6:03:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

I had the opposite problem with multi-player. I usually played mostly with friends/family or on servers full of cultured and friendly people.

It's much easier to project malice on the AI than on other players to me. Simply, there's that weird dissonance between violent acts of depravity going on on screen and sportsmanship and camaraderie between players.
It's much easier to treat the AI as malicious vermin that has to be stamped out.

I don't know if it would work with malicious players, though because they suffer no real loss and remain alive even after a defeat.

quote:

ORIGINAL: nate25

It gives them significance they lack in reality. What a pathetic way to gain attention.

True. Time to update my ignore list.

histgamer -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 6:25:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nate25

YES.... FEED THE TROLL FEED THE TROLL... At this point DS is just trolling, I don't genuinely believe she's THAT sanctimonious.

Hertston -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 1:54:21 PM)

quote:

Using a rather closer analogy it would actually be like listening to people explaining the virtue of playing piano or guitar without an audience, just for the pleasure of doing so. Upon which your 'argument' collapses, unless you you really think anyone who does so is necessarily a deeply sad, solitary individual in need of a life?

BTW, the baking must be a girl thing. Nobody gets in my kitchen when I'm cooking. NOBODY. [;)]

wodin -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 2:53:23 PM)

Not sure where you all got the idea DS is a woman??

DSWargamer -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 3:12:04 PM)

Geeez I insult an artificial construct and I get labeled rude.

I get personally attacked, and then it is MY fault if object.

And now my gender is questioned?

I suspect it might be fair to claim you lot are not men in addition to not being real wargamers, and likely are predominatly single because you are anti social.

Ignore me, I thought you boys already had done that from the beginning. You've belittled everything I said, implied I am a troll and gotten all defensive all because I pointed out your single minded obsession with playing social products solo is likely the inherent design flaw in a lot of our hobbies games.

You lot sure are a contemptible bunch.

I should have listened to that inner voice that told me coming here was an error. You won't need to ignore, I'm taking the advice, and leaving.

Alchenar -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 3:47:44 PM)

People have been horrifically misogynistic in this thread but my god you like to press enter after every single sentence. That would be really annoying even if you weren't being confrontational and abrasive.

Terminus -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 4:01:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Because "she" claims to be.

DS, could you go be a Luddite somewhere else?

Darkspire -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 4:02:24 PM)

quote:

Here.

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Terminus, He's a she. [:D] I wonder why she don't stick to boardgames.

Darkspire

aaatoysandmore -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 4:41:02 PM)

quote:

I suspect it might be fair to claim you lot are not men in addition to not being real wargamers, and likely are predominatly single because you are anti social.

Ignore me, I thought you boys already had done that from the beginning. You've belittled everything I said, implied I am a troll and gotten all defensive all because I pointed out your single minded obsession with playing social products solo is likely the inherent design flaw in a lot of our hobbies games.

I should have listened to that inner voice that told me coming here was an error. You won't need to ignore, I'm taking the advice, and leaving.

YAY she it is leaving we have won a major victory over trollism. lol Let's give a cheer and a beer. <raises mug of beer>

Boomer78 -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 6:06:40 PM)

Why does everyone throw in the towel so fast? I enjoy arguing, dammit! Doesn't really work when I have to do that all by myself too!

warspite1 -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 6:14:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boomer78

Why does everyone throw in the towel so fast?

warspite1

No they don't.

Aurelian -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 7:22:12 PM)

quote:

You reap what you sow.

You, and only you, are to blame.

http://www.helium.com/items/1607897-the-nature-of-belittling

Perturabo -> RE: Games that let you down (9/29/2013 8:02:43 PM)

quote:

It's in the profile. Men can't be housewives.

BTW.
She was posting on your forums.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alchenar

People have been horrifically misogynistic in this thread

Which ones? So far I haven't seen anything about gender except the post by Boomer78 and posts by DSWargamer.

It has nothing to do with misogyny and everything to do with DSWargamer lacking self-awareness which drives people mad. I post on many forums with posters of various genders and various levels of freedom of speech (ranging for everyone should be nice places to places where small differences in taste in games/movies/whatever may lead to death wishes, ridicule and stuff like that) and I think I have met only 3 posters like her during 10 years and all of them were equally offputting.
They usually post belittling things about other people and about how they shouldn't like what they like and about how what they like shouldn't exist and then suddenly act all shocked and offended when people respond to them in kind.

On the other hand, I saw lots of extrovertnormative, introvertophobic hypersocial intolerant vomit by DSWargamer.

"Durr hurr... you NERDS, you like to play ALONE, you're not SOCIALIZING ALL THE TIME. There must be something WRONG with you. This playing ALONE thing, it should be UNACCEPTABLE. Herp derp derp"

And hey, people here were rather moderate in their response. At least no one wrote about how having baking as a favourite past time suggests that she weights 200kg, has diabetes and rotten teeth and that baking should be unacceptable as a hobby.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

You reap what you sow.

You, and only you, are to blame.

http://www.helium.com/items/1607897-the-nature-of-belittling

Exactly :salute: .

DerTroof -> RE: Games that let you down (9/30/2013 4:14:21 PM)

Unity of Command. I’ve posted before that I love the simple but elegant design, the interface, and I don’t even mind the bobblehead sprites! But this game is ruined for me by gamy scenario design that requires the player to throw out virtually all sound operational concepts in order to snatch the prize before the arbitrary time deadline runs out.

Never could get into any Civs after Civ II… maybe I just played that one too much.

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

Two things really disappointed me about GGWBTS was

1. Emancipation Proclamation. It seemed very hard to beat on Union side if you couldn't make that come off and it was hard to get the requirements.
3. Limits on garrison/militia. Couldn't hardly keep rebellious areas not rebelling cause I was not allowed to build enough garrisons, it seemed.

What about #2? [:D] I've been playing GGWBTS a lot over the summer so I can't rate it a "letdown," but I agree that it is flawed. The large regions and month-long turns make it impossible to recreate campaigns of maneuver like Lee's invasion of PA or Rosecrans' conquest of central TN. And the initiative system, while arguably realistic in creating the lethargy of certain commanders, can lead to long stretches where not much happens. That said I'd love to hear a GGWBTS 2 was in the works that corrected some of these issues, but it doesn't sound like that's happening. [:(] I have the AGEOD game (the first one) and just haven't gotten into it, it seems very busy and unnecessarily fiddly. But I'll probably give it another try, or maybe just cave into my addiction and buy Civ War II. [8D]

BTW re the multiplayer vs. solitaire/AI debate, I wouldn’t argue that a human player trumps AI every time (all other things being equal) in terms of challenge, but I have to echo those who say they play solitaire in part to decompress and escape the grind of social interaction that is a constant feature of our daily lives. Also, if the game is thoughtful and deep enough, I can learn something about a particular historical period… and that’s just as much fun as “winning” the game.

Terminus -> RE: Games that let you down (9/30/2013 4:32:26 PM)

Oh, Unity of Command. How hard did that suck?

DerTroof -> RE: Games that let you down (9/30/2013 10:37:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Wow that's harsh. [:D] I wouldn't say it sucked, there's a lot I liked about the game, like the emphasis on logistics, the way theatre assets are handled abstractly (unlike, say, the miracle hovering planes in Panzer Corps), and I thought the map and documentation were very well done. But the puzzle-styled scenarios seem designed to appeal to non-wargamers, so the system's wasted, imo. There's a heckuva game in there somewhere.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: Games that let you down (9/30/2013 11:05:37 PM)

quote:

lol Terminus you kill me sometimes. They let you stay here this long without a ban......oh wait!

aaatoysandmore -> RE: Games that let you down (9/30/2013 11:09:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boomer78

Why does everyone throw in the towel so fast? I enjoy arguing, dammit! Doesn't really work when I have to do that all by myself too!

Because arguements generally lead to name calling and name calling generally leads to people taking sides and people generally taking sides generally leads to more name calling and then somebody gets banned anyway. You twerp! lol

Mac67 -> RE: Games that let you down (9/30/2013 11:45:05 PM)

quote:

Well someone sure got their knickers in a twist. [:D]

Mac67 -> RE: Games that let you down (9/30/2013 11:47:55 PM)

quote:

Maybe it's Ravinhood in a frock... [&:]

Terminus -> RE: Games that let you down (9/30/2013 11:56:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DerTroof

quote:

Wow that's harsh. [:D] I wouldn't say it sucked, there's a lot I liked about the game, like the emphasis on logistics, the way theatre assets are handled abstractly (unlike, say, the miracle hovering planes in Panzer Corps), and I thought the map and documentation were very well done. But the puzzle-styled scenarios seem designed to appeal to non-wargamers, so the system's wasted, imo. There's a heckuva game in there somewhere.

The last two sentences in your post is why it sucked. That and the brain-dead AI.

"Oh look, there's an open hex there! Instead of using our T-34 to defend against the advancing German panzers, let's go driving through into their rear area until we run out of fuel and ammunition! Wheeeeee!"

It's Mario Kart.

Terminus -> RE: Games that let you down (9/30/2013 11:57:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

quote:

lol Terminus you kill me sometimes. They let you stay here this long without a ban......oh wait!

Because I said Unity of Command sucked? Tough.

t001001001 -> RE: Games that let you down (10/1/2013 12:00:28 AM)

quote:

Or maybe rather you should work on basics of human interaction? Because for a "social person" you're shockingly inept at it.

She says she plays vs males, so prolly just pent up anger about losing every game [8D]

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI