(Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

tri71669 -> (1/31/2003 1:16:17 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HawaiiFive-O
[B]Are you equating the combat abilities of ~2000 civilians, natives, and a handful of military personnel to the combat abilities of ~2000 rear echelon troops each outfitted with a rifle and given basic combat training?

Seriously? [/B][/QUOTE]

No, not at all...I only suggested that under some historic circumstances there were those rare moments such as in the case of the URL I posted that a very small contingent of japanese took over the local populace and began thier own designs on the islands. In UV we run into circumstances where local base units and some engineers are overun by a few opposing squads... It needs to be clarified by Matrix why this happens, I am only pointing out that gross numbers don't seem at least to mean a whole lot. Maybe it's a morale/fatigue thing.

m0ngoose -> organic defense value (1/31/2003 11:24:42 PM)

I totally agree with prior statements regarding a basic defense-only value for engineering and non-combat units.

And really, it's already been implemented half-way. If you notice that during any bombardment phase all defending troops are accounted for? Every single person. So how about something like that for ground combat with non-frontline units? Seems an easy enough fix for the next patch....

And while we're on a wish list for ground combat, how about the ability to disband/withdraw ground units? That could come in quite useful...

One more wish--a way to keep an entire stack of ground units together when marching so that everyone arrives on the same pulse. This would have saved me MANY casualties....

marc420 -> (1/31/2003 11:51:56 PM)

As often occurs, my reading habits follow my game playing habits. So I've been reading "The Pacific War" by John Costello lately.

After reading this thread a bit earlier, the following passage from this boodk caught my eye. This describes the end of the fighting for Saipan, when the Japanese General ordered one last all-out banzai charge when he knew he was beaten.

"Defying machine-gun fire, officers led the suicidal charges brandishing swords, while others advanced with only knives and sticks. Even the wounded joined in the attack, hobbling on crutches. The shear force and ferocity of the greatest Banzai charge ever made by the Imperial Army carried the screaming human tide over the mounds of bodies that piled up and through the American front line. Ultimately, it spent its force against scratch platoons of hurriedly rounded up cooks, typists, and base personel."

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI