RE: A musical global war AAR... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/24/2014 3:05:16 PM)

They find the enemy and surprise the Italians. They decide to fight a surface battle against both sea boxes, since they have a far superior force available:

[image]local://upfiles/38590/C7ECBCF152904F78999BF96F369D8651.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/24/2014 3:06:48 PM)

They send the Italians to the bottom of the seas, with no losses on their side...

In Great-Britain, Bomber Command is ordered to retaliated for the German bombardment on Hull. The Hampdens take off and fly towards Essen, which hasn't got FTR cover...

[image]local://upfiles/38590/2EB57DD2A1AA437AA9E1D3540EB0C92A.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/24/2014 3:07:38 PM)

Again, only residential area's are hit, the German Radio accuses the British of targeting innocent citizens and talk about a war crime against the citizens of Essen, since the old center of the city has been destroyed, while the factories and railstation are unharmed... The propaganda machine is heating up...

In China, trains transport the Peking MIL to General Chang, since there doesn't seem to be any threath in the southern part of China. The catch me if you can strategy is continuing:

[image]local://upfiles/38590/89F69AC509AF4752A16F78BAD6CDE3B5.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/24/2014 3:08:45 PM)

In France, trains are transporting the V infantry corps towards the Belgian-French border and units move out of Lille to close the gap in the frontline which occured when the German captured Brussels. The French general staff isn't worried about anything at this moment. Only that pesky Italian MTN can become a problem, but it is OOS and will get disorganised if it moves...

Time for Django Reinhardt et Stephany Grapelly and the Quintette du Hot Club de France, Swing 39, recorded in Paris in march 1939:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0kPGGKiUlw

[image]local://upfiles/38590/C5563CC4B9A04AF78D249D80D3D5079E.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/24/2014 3:09:42 PM)

In the USSR, trains are transporting Timoshenko towards the Persian border. Rumours in the area are claiming that the independence Persian empire won't be independent much longer. The Bessarabian front start moving towards Eastern Poland and the Red air force rebaces fleets of bombers towards Persia...

The CW disembarks the division in Thorshavn and moves a TERR in Egypt to guard the ports of Damietta and Port Said. And rebases a bomber towards Derby to be used to protect the Faroes Gap.

After this there was much rejoicing in the Allied Camp:

Therefore here is Spike Jones: “Der Führers Face”...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZlFBSRrSR0

[image]local://upfiles/38590/070196C3E4C84C15B0F276D60186DA50.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/24/2014 3:10:35 PM)

A partisan appears in China and is put unto the Japanese controlled resource in the North. I hate partisans, nevertheless, they have a function in the game by making sure conquered coutries and area's are garrisoned...

Next comes the entry phase, in which markers are drawn by Germany and the USSR to strengthen the garrison ratio on the common border.

[image]local://upfiles/38590/9ED85782CC6D436A886B224540F6A262.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/24/2014 3:13:38 PM)

Defensive markers are used to increase the defensive value of the garrison and offensive ones for the offensive value. Defensive values are secret for the other side...
Germany puts one marker as offensive and one as defensive (the question: Blitzkrieg or Sitzkrieg remains unknown for the USSR at this time) and the USSR puts one marker as defensive. Let there be known to you (since you are Axis) there is a 3 in Offense and a 2 in defense. The USSR marker, well that one I will keep secret to you.

I've drawn a US entry chit into the Ger/It pool, since the USSR wants to DoW Persia (and maybe do something with regards to the Baltics and Finland too in the future) and it doesn't look like the Germans and Italians will generate chits in the next couple of turns...

Also, I choose options. I decide to give the Chinese the opportunity to build aircraft. If no chit is removed, I will than occupy Greenland and Iceland.
The first option doesn't generate tension, the second one does (die rolls 4 and 6) as was to be expected.
Therefore there are now: 2 entry chits and 1 tension chit in the Ge/It pools and 1 entry chit in the Japanese pool. Remember: you decide when I need to have the Japanese forces up and ready for the attack on the US. If you are to late, it's your fault (not mine...).

Next comes the preliminary production phase. That will take some time to sort out (because the interface isn't what I call userfriendly) in the first turn (because I need to make sure all resources are routed the way I want them to...).

In the meanwhile: give me something to work with: Barbarossa or Close the Med. Sealion is out at the moment. I would like you to choose which strategic plan I'll adopt for the Germans. Of course, Mussolini is on board a train towards Berlin to convince the Führer to go for a Close the Med strategy, but you decide...

Oh, by the way: I stumbled upon this. Watch this nice piece of US wartime propaganda:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpgSYbrw09g

Here is the destroyed pool of this turn:

[image]local://upfiles/38590/2A70EF9A4D3842E194551DADDC1899C6.gif[/image]

Courtenay -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/24/2014 5:45:56 PM)

quote:

Defensive markers are used to increase the defensive value of the garrison and offensive ones for the offensive value. Defensive values are secret for the other side...
Germany puts one marker as offensive and one as defensive (the question: Blitzkrieg or Sitzkrieg remains unknown for the USSR at this time) and the USSR puts one marker as defensive. Let there be known to you (since you are Axis) there is a 3 in Offense and a 2 in defense. The USSR marker, well that one I will keep secret to you.
quote:

13.2.ENTRY MARKER

Next, you must decide whether the marker will be offensive or defensive. If you place it as an offensive marker, its value is hidden from everyone but you. If you place it as a defensive marker, its value is visible to everyone.

You have the secrecy of offensive and defensive chits reversed. It's an easy mistake to make; if you search, you can find a post where I made the same mistake. Everyone, include the Germans, gets to know the value of the Soviet neutrality chit.

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/24/2014 6:37:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

quote:

quote:

13.2.ENTRY MARKER

Next, you must decide whether the marker will be offensive or defensive. If you place it as an offensive marker, its value is hidden from everyone but you. If you place it as a defensive marker, its value is visible to everyone.

You have the secrecy of offensive and defensive chits reversed. It's an easy mistake to make; if you search, you can find a post where I made the same mistake. Everyone, include the Germans, gets to know the value of the Soviet neutrality chit.

Blast. You are right of course. I blame the flu...

Mike Parker -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/24/2014 8:30:58 PM)

I at least would like to see more of the fight against the French before I vote on close the med or barbarossa. I think both can be on the table for now. Although I agree with your observation that the Axis should pick a strategy as early as possible and stick with it.

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/25/2014 10:12:12 AM)

Personally, I don't want to wait with strategy planning. To me, I should allocate at least 75% of the build points available to the grand strategy and the rest on rebuilding losses. If I postpone that, I might be getting in a situation where I'm making decisions "ad hoc" and that should be avoided.

Now, to see how things will progress in France might be dangerous, because of the fact that, while there has been good progress made in the first turn, winter is coming. Also, there is only one German HQ in the area at this moment and there are no MOT divisions available to Germany to take cheap losses if the Blitzkrieg table is called for. I have first to build those (and those are high on the priority list at the moment).

Any other opinions on this?

Klydon -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/25/2014 1:51:07 PM)

When not using unlimited breakdown, this makes it tougher to provide "cover" for losses involving the armor. Normally, the Germans could just break down some infantry corps and have some divisions of both infantry and motorized infantry on hand to fill in. It is also more expensive to build stand alone divisions and its hard to build a motorized division that costs the same as a powerful infantry corps. I think for the campaign in the west, especially early, the Germans start with a fair amount of motorized infantry corps and I would plan on using those to cover losses. The Germans can use all the good units they can get and that includes a lot of infantry corps.

As far as moving forward in the West, even in the winter, I think the Germans have to be absolutely ready to exploit any good weather that may happen. While the Germans can grow stronger over the "sitzkrieg", the French will also grow stronger and be able to offer more effective resistance in the spring.

My 2 cents.

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/25/2014 4:20:48 PM)

The end of turn phases are mainly administrative ones, but in the return to base phase, there can be naval combat happening, when ships have to rebase through sea area's which contain enemy units. I will describe in detail what is happening in all those phases (as best as I can) for new players. In subsequent turns, I won't be so detailed, except when a phase pops up, which hasn't been described before.

But let's put some music on here...

Here is Carson Robison, I'm an old cowhand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYFgfHB0_L0

First comes the preliminary production phase...

The Axis overall are low on oil. There are only five oil points under Axis control in Europe and two are send by the USSR (until Barbarossa starts). When the game progresses, the call upon oil will increase and increase due to larger unit density. Therefore, I choose to save 5 oil with Germany, since I need a healthy reserve when war with the USSR starts. This will cost me one build point but it is better to have planes and automobiles who can fight...

[image]local://upfiles/38590/9C26C94A836F4E2E90E9C14F09684364.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/25/2014 4:21:37 PM)

Italy. Now that's the laughing stock of the Axis. Poor production multiplier and very few resources. In the first turn, I can choose to have 3 or 2 build points. The latter if I choose to save the Ploesti oil. The decision is made to save it. The Germans will need to give the Italians build points next turn...

The Japanese decide to save two oil points. This give them 9 build points (excluding the one which is send to the USA).

[image]local://upfiles/38590/05965E668EE54CD89A2C2528534C795E.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/25/2014 4:22:47 PM)

China get 4 build points out of their production, since their has been no attack on Chinese units this turn, otherwise it would have got another build point. Well, that's a side effect of the decision by the Japanese to wait for better odds at Chengchow...

The USA saves one oil (it is neutral and cannot save more) and has 11 build points available.

The USSR also saves one oil and has 8 build points available.

Now, the CW and France takes a lot of work to get right. First I'm sending all oil resources to be saved where I want them to be saved. Than I'm setting to default all resources which can be send overland to a factory. After that I set on default (including the routes) all resources which can be send from the Indian Ocean area to Britain and France, followed by the route from Australia to Canada, followed by the African ones to France and Britain. Finally, the resource out of British Guyana is send to Britain and the convoy routes from Canada to Britain put in through the Faroes Gap. This takes a lot of time, but it is doable. With now all routes on defaults, MWIF should give me the same results next turn too and not mess around with things.

This gives France 5 build points (no German units and attacks upon French soil, gives France a multiplier of 0,5) and the CW 12.

The interface isn't what I call user friendly, but everything can be done now with it. I encountered no bugs. However, it is time consuming. It took me three hours to get things right. However, a major victory for MWIF, as I'm concerned. It's the first time I got it right from the start in all those years of testing. Therefore, I am now forced to extend my apologies to Steve, since I've never thought he could get things right and kept asking for another solution. I'll hope they get accepted...

Hear and see how the Japanese did celebrate the “victory” at Nanking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cufG2Dlxvk

[image]local://upfiles/38590/30351EE98AC84FC0BD17B829B80608AC.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/25/2014 4:23:58 PM)

Next is the stay at sea phase. It is advisable to go through sea area after sea area and especially the convoy points. Make sure that those which need to stay at sea, stay there. If you don't, it'll cost you.
A yellow dot means the convoy is going to return to base. A click on the convoy means it stays at sea. If ships or aircraft have to stay at sea, click on them too. In the Sea of Japan, I will return 3 CP to base. The other 4 stay in the sea area. I've made a small calculation mistake while setting up the Japanese...

[image]local://upfiles/38590/B15787C593274CA1931940785AD924DF.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/25/2014 4:24:43 PM)

Needless to say is that the protection of the convoys will stay at sea if possible to do so (in sea box 1 or higher), since that saves oil and makes them less vulnerable if the enemy moves first. The French decide to leave the battle fleet in the Western Med, to keep the Italians OOS in the area. Everything needs to be done to keep Algeria under French control...

The return to base step... It is really a reverse naval movement step, so naval combat is possible if you, while returning to base, have to move through sea area's with enemy ships in them. This turn, that's not going to be the case.

The Italians move the precious TRS out of the Eastern Med into La Spezia and the Flying Boat returns to base in Sicily. The Japanese sail transports back into Japan and Formosa, to be able to transport the foot soldiers needed in China which will appear next turn there. The Queens are sailing to Singapore, to get the Sydney MIL to transport it towards Egypt, where it is badly needed to bolster the Egyptian defenses. The Home fleet returns to Plymouth, together with the TRS. The French sail the TRS towards Africa. The Algerie arrives in New Caledonia, while another cruiser rebases towards IndoChina. The bulk of the French cruiser fleet, the TRS and a good French SUB will celebrate new years eve in ports which have the highest possible chanche of going Free France. Not historically right, but hey: it's a game, isn't it...

[image]local://upfiles/38590/A29588BB25AA48D089DCB20DACCFBCC9.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/25/2014 4:25:32 PM)

In Manila, a TRS and a SUB arrive, while ad Midway, convoy points and two SUB's are based...

Here is the Dokra Regiment March. This Indian regiment fought in Malaya and got captured in Singapore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cplHGDsTMgU

Next is refuelling the headquarters, aircraft, tanks, automobiles, ships. The German generals are not amused by the amount of oil needed this turn, due to the valiant resistance of the Poles. Oil points received out of trade are not controlled by you. They need to be saved first, therefore the Rumanian oil points are not available to the Germans or Italians for reorganisation. I'll advise anyone to first use saved oil for reorganisation, since you might have allocated oil for production in the preliminary production phase and if you use that during reorganisation that will cost you a production point. So pay attention here.

[image]local://upfiles/38590/58E9E281B2A74CF1A845D24748FB0357.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/25/2014 4:26:29 PM)

The Italians, however, are quite pleased by there oil consumption. If you use half or less of an oil point, it doesn't get consumed. You can only reoganise units who needs oil if you've got at least one oil point you control at this point.

[image]local://upfiles/38590/0BB0732D3D1645179300875660D3DE26.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/25/2014 4:27:11 PM)

Here are the French. They are low on oil at the moment. They have to decide which units not to reorganise. The Béarn will stay with empty bunkers in Toulouse...

[image]local://upfiles/38590/C837F3515E554220B7BD8D3FA399DE34.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/25/2014 4:28:08 PM)

Now, I run into the second bug since starting this AAR (the first one was with the US oil points placement which went wrong a long time ago. That has been fixed). Unlimited Breakdown is off in my game, but those phases do appear. A minor issue, simply ignore it, but it will need to get fixed...

Meanwhile: here is the Song of Australia, by Peter Dawson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwVMtZTZ5nU

Next comes the Final Production phase. Now, if everything is done in good order and convoys stayed in place during the stay at sea and return to base step, they should be exactly the same as in the preliminary production phase. Of course, they are...

[image]local://upfiles/38590/D7D985E689B2426A800B830C90378192.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/25/2014 4:29:07 PM)

Onto the next phase. The scrapped destroyed phase. Units which are destroyed can be scrapped, even when they have a recent date on the counter. In the normal scrap phase, only units older than approx. 3 years can be scrapped. Here, you can scrap them all if you like:

With Germany and Italy, I don't scrap the destroyed unit. A 6-3 INF is reasonable good and when playing without unlimited breakdown, never scrap a division. The Italian cruiser also stays in the pool, since it is a good one.

The Commonwealth however, scraps all minor country units which are destroyed. Those units are usually weaker than CW units. Furthermore, the countries are going to be conquered and you don't want these units to reappear in the force pool when you've liberated those countries. Even the white print elite Polish 5-3 INF will get scrapped, since in 1944 or 1945 it would have become obsolete anyhow...

[image]local://upfiles/38590/2B87D253E1174F10B8AA04426CE2B583.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/25/2014 4:29:46 PM)

Here's the Lovestick Blues, by Hank Williams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwATyRREKd8

Next is production. For which I still need some imput. Will it be Barbarossa or Close the Med... Let me know.

[image]local://upfiles/38590/6E3FB615B89D40BE8C80634305D24020.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/26/2014 1:09:24 PM)

Mussolini has brought his general staff with him to Berlin. Negotiations are progressing and there have been some envoys of the Italian and German foreign office walking in and out of the Spanish embassies in both Rome and Berlin... I guess the decision is made. People are rumouring in the streets of a coming grand conference between Franco, Hitler and Mussolini....

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/26/2014 3:04:31 PM)

We've arrived at the first production phase... Now look, there's all kind of things to be build. Bright shiny new tanks, planes, awesome battleships, carriers, guns, troops, submarines, factories, fortresses, pilots. There's just far to many things to choose from...

One needs a strategical plan and produce for it. I like to allocate at least 75% of the available production points to that plan. The other 25% can be used to absorb losses...
Now, remember, I've put Mussolini on the train to Berlin earlier. He's brought his general staff with him and consultations are in full swing in Berlin. Envoys are also send to Madrid, however, things seem to be a little distant there. Franco gives a clear answer: if Gibralter becomes Italian, after that I'll enter the war. Not before. Now, that's dissapointing isn't it? All those Italian and German live spend in the Spanish Civil War and than this? It is an understatement that Mussolini and Hitler aren't amused at all. The word cowards is used again and again and the anger against Franco heats up... It's going to be a close the Med strategy and if Mr. Franco isn't going to oblige, he's going to be overwhelmed by the German Wehrmacht. But wait, there's still France to take out, isn't it...

Here is the March d'Alsace Lorraine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOsAUSkDx5Q

And there's still a couple of things to be done before production starts. When a major power first goes to war, it can scrap units again, since when at war, it considers units to become obsolete one year earlier as when not at war. Since Germany, Italy, France and the Commonwealth all entered the war this turn, I'm going to scrap units again. I want to have the best units I can have to build at this stage.

First, there is the German production phase. I start scrapping again. An obsolete Hs, both 5 factor MOT and a 4 factor INF will not be build any more.

And the production phase starts with 15 build points. Generally speaking, one should always build HQ and good FTR's. Those are the two types of units which are absolutely necessary to have available. Than there is the overall strategy plan. Close the Med. For that I'll need PARA, MAR, NAV as Germany, together with additional troops to conquer France and than to crush the Spanish...

Now, first I examine the planes which can be build. I've got lousy planes on the Map (the JU 86 is obsolete and so is the Henschel 111) and there is only one LND 2 which can be build. A Stuka! I can't choose what to build if there are more units available, since the draw is random, but if there is only one, than that's the one I'm going to get for sure and that quality plane is badly needed to crush the French and will get to good use in Spain too later...

[image]local://upfiles/38590/D730D3D458CC44C0A8D456359CF6E40E.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/26/2014 3:07:51 PM)

In the music made in that time, there is one name which must not be forgotten. It is the name of Carl Orff. The Carmina Burana was finished in 1937 and had it's premiere at the Opera in Frankfurt that year. Nowadays, it is still a popular piece of music. It's a long piece, but I will put it in here in total.
This version is a recent one, played by the Trondheim Symphony Orchestra, conductor Krzysztof Urbański, Lina Johnson, soprano, Michael Weinius, tenor, Fredrik Zetterström, baritone.
The choire consists of the TSO Vokalensemble, the Nidarosdomens Oratoriekor, the Nidarosdomens Jentekor and Ad Libitum. I consider this to be the most important classical piece of music made in the last century. I like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txSoevpWUCk

Now, if you investigating the LND 3 planes, there is a lot of obsolete planes in there, so I choose not to build out of that pool at this time.

[image]local://upfiles/38590/1836066CB7D44D23B46E528A92FC9F37.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/26/2014 3:09:56 PM)

The NAV only consists of one flying boat. Sure, I will need that plane, but it can wait for the moment. I also am going to build a pilot. I'm going to build one each turn at least.

Now, there is the ARM HQ Guderian. That's a must build for the first turn. HQ's are by far the most important units on the map. Expensive, that one.That leaves me with 3 points left... Let's put some boots on the floor and build an INF, since one got destroyed in Poland this turn. So out of 15 build points, I've now used 3 to counter losses and 12 on the general strategic plan. That's OK...

So we've now build: Guderian, the Stuka, a pilot and an INF... Not that impressive, is it? Well, that's how it is for all powers. Too much to choose from and too few build points to build things with. That's war. And here is how it looks on the “undo builds” form. You don't see the units, since those are drawn at random, unless there is only one in the force pool...

[image]local://upfiles/38590/1F2B83B143FE48DDB63C22900013B42D.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/26/2014 3:11:35 PM)

I will do a side step here. At start of the Global war, there were a lot of naval units mothballed around the war. They are currently in the repair pools:

[image]local://upfiles/38590/32D67812B80A4609915E598EABD4BA0C.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/26/2014 3:12:45 PM)

Now, the Italians. For a close the Med strategy, I will need to get control of the skies over the seas. For that, I'll need long range FTR, NAV. I also need MAR and TRS. First, I start scrapping again. I won't scrap the Italian ATR, since those are better used for the German Para's than the JU 55, but the obsolete FTR and the Sparviero CV are scrapped at this moment.

Are you still listening to the Carmina Burana? Nice piece of music, isn't it? If not: you don't know what's good music... [:D]

Now, I've only got two lousy build points. Remember, first priority should be good FTR's and HQ's. The Italian airforce currently on the map isn't that bad at all. However, there is the 6 range Falco I FTR 2 sitting alone in the force pool and that one is needed to contest the skies over the Med. I need a pilot too.That's four build points. And the HQ I also need. But I'm at war, and the FTR get's top priority. Since it takes longer to train the pilot, those are recruited and the preparations too build the FTR's are made so it will be build next turn. This means that all build points are going towards the strategic plan chosen...

[image]local://upfiles/38590/48F2EE12BA394806AD337B7D55C1428A.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: A musical global war AAR... (1/26/2014 3:23:17 PM)

Next, Japan. Now that's always a hard decision. Apart from the FTR's and HQ's, you need the fleet CV's (with planes), NAV, MAR, TRS and AMPH for extending the perimeter, Synth Oil for when the oil embargo is put in place, but I'm also at war with China. But for this turn, I'll first put my attention towards China. Also, I will want to be able to choose the Blitzkrieg table in China, so I need some tanks too. I choose to build the MECH division and two MIL (since there are two white print MIL of the five which are in the force pool). Also, I'm going to start building a CV, since it takes two years for it to arrive, he should be finished early enough for the war with the US...

China. I'm having to change heads now. I'm allied again. Since the 7-3 elite 8Rte INF is in the force pool, I'm going to build an INF. The spare build point is used to build a CAV division. A fast mover is always welcome, since China is a war where you will keep moving and moving.

The Commonwealth. One is tempted to build CV, finish BB's, build all kinds of nice things which are needed later in the war. Note: later in the war. Now, you need to build to survive! That aren't those nice CV's, BB's, MAR, PARA, MECH, ARM and bombers. They aren't. Also, I advise to not build anything (especially CV's or BB's who need two years to get finished) which the US can build too. Given this, look at the historical things in WW II and Britain. The RAF got lucky that Hitler was impatient, since they were on the verge on collapsing when the Germans decided to start bombing London instead of the airfields. The battle of the Atlantic gave the British logistic problems and meant that a lot of ship building facilities had to be used for the production of merchant vessels and not the shiney war ships. Also, they needed an army to protect the Empire overseas. Those are your priorities. Defensive ones, not offensive ones. However, there is one exception to this rule. After the fall of France, you need to make sure the Germans need to guard against a surprise invasion. For that, you need an Amph. And that's it.
So I need the Amph, convoy points, NAV, FTR's (also long range ones), carrier planes, HQ and infantry. That's it. Nothing else...
First, I scrap the Polish and two obsolete planes. I did go to war last turn and I don't want to have obsolete planes in the force pool, if I got better ones available. So the Swordfish and the Vildebeest stay in. Yes, they are old, but useful.

The builds are therefore: the Amph, 2 convoy points, a Pilot, a GAR and an INF.

Are you fed up with Carl Orff yet? [:)]
His music and the music made by Richard Strauss were considered to be “German” music be the Nazi's in those days. Of course there were other composers who's music were given the tag “German”, but those guys were already dead (Wagner was one of them...).
The relation between Richard Strauss and the Nazi's was a peculiar one, since he had a Jewish daughter in law and Jewish grandchildern to protect. The Nazi's however, needed him. In 1933 Strauss wrote:
“I consider the Streicher-Goebbels Jew-baiting as a disgrace to German honour, as evidence of incompetence – the basest weapon of untalented, lazy mediocrity against a higher intelligence and greater talent.”
The same year, Goebbels wrote:
“Unfortunately we still need him, but one day we shall have our own music and then we shall have no further need of this decadent neurotic”.
That day never came, since Strauss was too important he saved his daugher in law and his grandchildren from the concentrationcamps this way. His mother in law and her other kids weren't that lucky...

Here is a song out of “Friedenstag”, an opera written by Strauss in 1938, which was played througout Germany until war broke out in 1939. It contains some critizism towards the Third Reich, but was still considered to be “good German” music.

This part of this opera is recent out of 1995, Alessandra Marc, soprano, in the role of Maria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkyFJiEyv4s

Don't worry, I won't put more of his music in this AAR, because frankly, I don't like it at all, but I can't give a good picture of the music of WW II if I don't include the “official” German music made those days, can't I...

The French aren't scrapping anything. I use the five build points to build the HQ.

Next, the almighty US. Disappointing isn't it. [&:] All those factories and resources and only 11 build points. Well, we prepare for war in two years. Let's start by putting some warships on the shipyards. The Hornet and the 3 BB's in the force pool are put unto the shipyards this turn, while the Wyoming is put next to the shipyards to be finished.

The USSR. That's simple. Boots on the floor and get good planes in the air. All land units should be build as soon as possible. Now, some people will disagree with me, but I always start building an ARM in the first turn. Others start all out on Infantry units... I build the ARM and a GAR. 8 build points isn't much, but it's a start...

Next, the game handles conquest. The band starts playing the German national anthem, lets put it in here.
This song still is the national anthem. It has three verses and nowadays, only the third verse is sung when played officially. The two first two verses were officially excluded from the national anthem by the Western allies when the BRD asked to reinstate the song as the national anthem again. This figures, since the nazi's didn't encourage the third verse to be sung... Strange, isn't it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAK23saAI1I

I choose Canada as the new home country for Belgium, since it is incompletely conquered, because it still controls the Belgian Congo, a minor country aligned to Belgium. This is also the reason why I can now destroy the factory at Liege (and I will do so, since I can't use it myself and if the allies recapture it during late war, I don't want them to have a production point for free). I can't destroy blue factories in Poland, since that country is completely conquered and therefore not at war anymore...
For that same reason, factories are destroyed in Peking and Canton by the Japanese. I can't destroy the blue factories in Shanghai or Nanking, since there aren't any Japanese units currently in those cities. But if there are Japanese units in those cities in this stage later, I will surely destroy those factories too...

This ends the first turn of the game.

Well, at this point, no more classical music. It's time for Hellen Forrest and the Artie Shaw Orchestra: Deep Purple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qZ2SH3_OnE

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI