RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 5:39:26 AM)

SO the adventure begins for 1940. Allied impulse 1.

[image]local://upfiles/2670/547D0445E3A7406DB4823D2FADDD158A.jpg[/image]

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 5:44:10 AM)

France gambles that Italy will not declare war this turn to take advantage of the weather to position the army.
CW naval
China land
Italy, USSR and US combined

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 12:14:39 PM)

Navel Movements Phase, JAN/FEB 1940

The CW will ship the rest of the BEF into France.

A the "Queens" liner, will transport the engineers from Malta to Bombay. It will then pick up a newly arrived Indian garrison, which will go to Gibralter. In the next impulse, the 5-3 INF in Gibralter, will go to Egypt.

I forgot to move the Bomber in Malta to Alexandria, so that will happen this impulse.

A transport in Malta, will sail back to England.

There will be at least three sea lift units in England to bring the BEF home if and when they are faced with evacuation.

Eventually one of the transport will end up in Aden or South Africa, for duty in the east.

[image]local://upfiles/2670/9BF3045AE3434D62A633032716A924CC.jpg[/image]

terje439 -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 12:41:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banjo

SO the adventure begins for 1940.

[sm=00000613.gif]

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 1:23:47 PM)

Danish, Polish, and new CW convoy sail out and are able to send to oil from Caribbean to save in England.

CL units sail for convoy duty.

Units sail to protect BEF.

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 1:29:56 PM)

In the spring of 1940, the CW will hold in France as long as possible.

The Royal Navy, will begin to be put to the test as Italy is sure to get into the war.

Units need to be moved to where they will be needed in Egypt and the east.

Only time can determine where and when things need to be addressed. Preparation is all that can be done in the meantime.

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 1:44:34 PM)

There are publications that were published by the US Department of Defense I think it was, detailing the various branches of the armed forces during the war. I found five PDF books by chance while looking for something unrelated, that I downloaded to my ipad for free. They detail the USMC in the Pacific during the war. It begins with the events that led up to the pre war planning for a confrontation with Japan. When I can squeeze some time in I will look for at least its title.

I am trying using this as a guide for my US activity before the shooting starts, mainly securing the lines between the US to Hawaii, and Australia. All builds and deployments are made to do this, although I am only doing this from memory, and not refering to the publication for details.

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 1:51:16 PM)

Three convoys sail for Hawaii. Tey do not have range to place them in their destinations. They will be used to put Wake, Pago Pago, Johnston Island, and Midway in supply. The third will begin to extend the supply chain to Australia.

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 3:37:12 PM)

It is now the CHinese National rail move phase.

It is also time for a major re-evaluation of the overall picture in China.

The first place to look is Sian. The Garrison unit is now under threat from four sides. The weather is not good for ground strikes and that is in The Chicoms favor.

Since it is snowing, this also gives both sides the ability to move.

The Japanese can move west to the south of Sian and exert ZOC on the rail line.

The newly arrived Sian Militia can block that move this turn, but the garrison is still under threat.

With one impulse of good weather, the garrison could be eliminated and Sian is now the target. The weather will clear eventually. Possibly before the Chicoms can get reinforced.

The ability to move this turn, may provide an escape for Mao's forces who are faced with losses if they hold their ground, that at the moment they cannot afford.

If the garrison moves into Sian as a sacrificial unit, the Japanese will lose impulses and possibly troops in taking Sian. The weather can cost them more time to get into position to move west or south to Chunking where they will face supply issues.

This screenshot shows Sian. The one to follow will show the overall situation.

[image]local://upfiles/2670/18540082E5614AE89C61BC99A9C31504.jpg[/image]

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 3:55:54 PM)

As it stands now, it appears that the loss of Sian is a matter of time. The question is, what will the Japanese do then? They can hold Sian, and exert pressure on the open ground to the west. OPen ground for the Chinese at this stage of the game is a death zone for them.

They have three options for the bulk of their army. West to Lanchow, and hurt the Chicoms even more, Southwest to Chunking, and supply problems, or south to Changsa, the Burma Road, and towards Indochina.

Their forces need to go toward the coast soon anyway as war breaks out with the rest of the Allies. The USSR is another possibility also.

Whatever happens, the Nationals have to do something now.

I am still debating myself if it was a wise move to shift the Changsa forces east, and not bring them back after it drew the Japanese garrisons away from their original positions. They would be at least one move closer to have the ablility to redeploy to the west.

In the screenshot, the circles areas are where the Chinese need to focus on, depending on what the Japanese do. Whatever it is, The Changsa forces need to pull back toward Changsa, and provide at least one unit ofr redeployment this turn.

Now the question is who will get a railroad move?

[image]local://upfiles/2670/D8A377DC415742B2ACD9BD4A7C5C2762.jpg[/image]

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 3:59:48 PM)

Nationals cannot railroad down the Burma Road, so they will not do any for now.

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 4:04:02 PM)

Now that I think of it in the Chocoms railroad move, any unit that uses it will become unorganized, which they cannot afford to be, so all movement will be done in the land movement phase.

Wait, the Nationals are subject to the number of moves in the USSR combined limitations. Better check that first. This could be critical.

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 4:05:24 PM)

Ok, they get 5 moves, and have six units.[&:]

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 6:02:58 PM)

The Chicoms decide to withdraw, and trade space for time.Thw warlord, was in the best position to move back to Ningsia. The Sian Milita had to use the rail movement, so Mao could remain organized. With the garrison covering the retreat in Sian, the rest of the force has at least one more turn to get set up in the mountains, of course the upcoming weather may change things a bit, but it willslow the Japanese as much as the Chicoms.

[image]local://upfiles/2670/9C03858D56AF4B01927E072287F63B03.jpg[/image]

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 6:05:16 PM)

Another factor in the decision to pull out of Sian, was that it will take the Japanese at least 2-3 more impulses before they can mount a serious attack toward Lanchow, which will buy some more time.

markb50k -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 6:12:32 PM)

Appreciate the AAR. I'm following it closely and think youre doing a good job describing the action.

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 6:30:27 PM)

The moves in China.

This was the hardest decision to make so far in the game.

[image]local://upfiles/2670/AF8E6B98F34C4C30A217CB62785F8110.jpg[/image]

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 6:40:15 PM)

Thank you Mark,

I was not sure how the AAR was going to turn out, as I have never done one before. There has been so much that I have learned not only about the rules and game mechanics, but new ways to approach some of the parts of the game. I am finding that by taking the screenshots and drawing out ideas and possible plans, that it is showing me different options that I would have overlooked trying to do it in my head.

What we do in minutes and often seconds making decisions, in reality took months and years for the most mundane, boring things we do in the game. I think the approach would be different if we had the map physically in front of us, at least in ETO/PTO it was, since it fit in about an 4'x8' space. The HUGE size of this map might not really make that so, but could make it even more difficult because we can zoom out to see the big picture, and even that is not enough sometimes.

I am glad you are enjoying it. I know it makes it even more dramatic, even for me.

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 6:59:47 PM)

The wetsrn front.

The French continue to move the reinforcements to the front.

Looking at this screenshot and the big grey mass that I am trying to organize, I realize that fancy movement diagrams to put the units in position is not possible. Even for the French forces to a lesser degree. I am thinking thst a solution could be to make a list of the ground units like 4-3, 6-3, 4-2...and add units as the are put on the board. Either that or start the list and each unit by the numbers as each one makes its first move from Poland or is placed on the board as additions to the bosrd.

The next step, would be to use a screenshot and draw in the units using only the numbers on the hexes where they need to be at the begining of the battle for France. Crossing each one off of the list as they reach their jump off point.

I might have to try this sometime.

[image]local://upfiles/2670/1A78BA9D95834AF2B8E3C6BE69A57B0A.jpg[/image]

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 8:42:04 PM)

The Bomber in Malta flies to Egypt for the CW
France pulls her bomber a few hexes back from the Maginot Line
Nationals fighter from Chunking to Chengtu

The impulse then ends.

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 9:02:54 PM)

Germany land
Italy combined.
Japan needs to take Sian. The weather will probably not clear to give the bombers a chance to do their work effectivly.
They will make the attack on Sian in the snow, so they choose land.

[image]local://upfiles/2670/1FB494BC2762436EA076A812DD04C192.jpg[/image]

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 9:16:04 PM)

The Italians fly their NAV into the Italian Coast to cover the convoy unit, then sail the transport from Tripoli to La Spezia.

This game gets so boggling that I saw no units in Rome and thought that I had missed something, and that the CW or France could sail right in and take it. Then I remembered after that short panic moment that they would have to declare war first and that the Rome unit would "magicly appear and save the day.

The Germans not wishing to risk their NAV unit this turn, let the CW have the North Sea. The NAV really got lucky with the abort roll last turn.

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 9:27:10 PM)

Looking for possible rail moves for Japan, I realized that Mukden was wide open for the partisans, and railed the militia from Tsitsihar that arrived as reinforcement. I have no idea why i placed them therr instead of Mukden. Probably because I was tired. I went to bed shortly afterward.

A shot of the units in Manchuria and Vladivostok.

[image]local://upfiles/2670/A836E4DF4E7042AB9FF29FB0ABA4E952.jpg[/image]

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 9:29:54 PM)

Germany rails the Engineers from Poland, to the west.

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 9:34:08 PM)

Italian 4-5 motorized INF moves to the border of Tunisia from Tripoli adding an additional worry for the Allies.

I am wondering if taking Tunisia, and Algeria if possible is wise.

Would it be better to have them Vichy in the long run?

Something to ponder.

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 9:38:09 PM)

Also the territorial in Bengazi moves east toward the Egyptian border, to join the rest of the Italian forces there.

I don't think I am going to risk Italian losses from combat in Egypt, when war breaks out. Benito might have been eager for action there, I am not. Yet.

Ur_Vile_WEdge -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/27/2014 10:38:50 PM)

You really do want to have the Italians take as much of French North Africa as is feasible.

Because either the Germans are going for a full conquest of France, which lends itself to attacking Spain, and holding on to North Africa helps out in that, or you're just going to do a quick Vichy. And North Africa almost always goes Vichy, which means it's a relatively softer target when the Allies start to counterattack. Ideally, you'll get all the way to Morocco, but that's something that tends not to happen, if only because the Germans crack Paris first.

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/28/2014 12:05:50 AM)

Germany continues to prepare.

In my last two games where I actually learned enough to continue past the Polish campaign, and continue until a few impulses past the fall of France, I used two startegies for the Germans.

The first was declaring war on both the Netherlands and Belgium at the same time. France fell Jul/Aug.

The second I decalre first the Netherlands, followed by Belgium, where France did not fall until either SEP/OCT, or NOV/DEC, I don't remember.

In the second of these games, the French air force was able to abort enough of the German ground strikes without loss to themselves to frustrate the German attacks. They were able to achieve favorable rolls during the German land attacks to the point that they were able to mount a stubborn retreat, and clever inside line moves to make their line as strong as possible for the following German impulses.

While playing this AAR, I learned several things that may have made a difference in what in how I used my German forces, that have nothing to do with fancy diagrams and plans drawn on screenshots.

The building of a synth plant and subs, has taken BP away from INF that could help when units become disorganized after attacks, but this is something I have to live with, and it will take a bit of luck and smarter play to bring the campaign to an end a quickly as possible while taking care to attack where I can keep losses to a minimum. Losses will be taken of course, and I made sure to have an ample amount of divisions available for that purpose.

[image]local://upfiles/2670/A4F1661F7AFF4A099BC011ABEDA55078.jpg[/image]

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/28/2014 12:46:50 AM)

Hi Wedge, you have me staring at the map, which is a good thing. I agree that taking northwest Africa is a good thing. I am i bit hesitant about Spain however. Not because of the strategy, but my own lack of experience with the game beyound the fall of France. There is so much to consider at this point in the game concerning the long haul.

How long will France last being one of them, and how much will it cost the Germans to do so. One of the weakpoints that I see in the game in its current form, is the fact that bomber interception en route has not been enabled yet. There is too much economic damage that can be inflicted by not having enough fighters to cover everything, and still have enough to put support the ground forces. At this point it is not a agme breaker for me because I know it will be enabled in the future, by which time I hope to be familiar enough with the game all around.

Air coverage if and when Gibralter can be taken either through Spain or if lucky directly, will need enough air units to cover both Morocco and the Cadiz areas. That does not include the eastern Med. and the Russian front.

If I can make it through some major naval actions where the outcome is determined as much by the roll of the dice and good play, instead of doing something really stupid, that costs the game, I will be happy. An honest fight and good general overall strategy is what I am hoping for. Once this game is under my belt, I hope to consider and explore the Spain option a bit more seriously. That does not mean it will not happen in this game however[:D]

Banjo -> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn (3/28/2014 1:01:11 AM)

Japan has moved, and commited its entire force into the attack on the Sian Garrison. The Cav has taken possesion in a forward hex in the mountains to the north. These mountains create a lot of trouble if the Chinese are allowed to get in there.

[image]local://upfiles/2670/8E752DAE286B43308526421DD51586D7.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI