RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

crsutton -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/10/2014 3:26:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wegman58

Avalon Hill - the gateway drug for a lot of us. AFRIKA KORPS - the all important die roll for the attack on Tobruk.

2-1 odds

This may be off a bit.

1: Attacker eliminated
2: Attacker back
3: Exchange (with the attacker always taking the higher loss)
4: Exchange
5: Defender back
6: Defender eliminated

You had to have a 3-1 to get rid of the attacker eliminated result. The one die CRT was brutal and showed no mercy.

nashvillen -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/10/2014 3:32:25 PM)

I bought all my own games from a meager job after school cleaning the woodshop at school. Worked about 7.5 to 10 hours a week at 2.15 an hour in 1977. Used all that money to buy my wargames with. Started with War at Sea, then Victory in the Pacific. I even convinced the Principal of our school that playing VitP was studying history and that I should be able to play it in study hall with some friends. [:D]

So many like experiences here from Wonder Woman to the Guns of Navarone playset. You guys are truly my brothers! [&o][&o]

John 3rd -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/11/2014 12:15:17 AM)

I worked for my Father at a movie theatre and bought my games that way. Avid D&D Fan, AH Fan, and played the monster version of WITP.

Chickenboy -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/11/2014 1:12:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

I worked for my Father at a movie theatre and bought my games that way. Avid D&D Fan, AH Fan, and played the monster version of WITP.

AD&D, Runequest, Shadowrun, Advanced Squad Leader, Axis and Allies-these were my allowance money kryptonite growing up. [8D]

rockmedic109 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/11/2014 3:34:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

AD&D, Runequest, Shadowrun, Advanced Squad Leader, Axis and Allies-these were my allowance money kryptonite growing up. [8D]

Ahh. Runequest.

I stopped playing AD&D to play Runequest. No longer an arbitrary character level or character class determinging who can do something. Everyone playing in the same universe and history {at least our local game room did}. Creative spell use. Playing jokes on the Duck in the party.

Thank brings back some fond memories from the depths of my addled and aged mind.

Eambar -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/11/2014 12:34:44 PM)

The War At Sea was my first naval oriented AH game.

Pretty simple game, I was probably 9 or 10 when I got it. The by-line on the box is "Begin a lifetime of pleasure! Begin with WAR AT SEA!" and so it proved to be.

Then moved onto Panzer Leader, Panzer Blitz and Squad Leader.

(I recently just bought an unpunched Panzer Leader on ebay, mine was too worn out to play, too many counters lost over the years.)

I also enjoyed the non-WW2 oriented - Shogun, Kingmaker, Civilisation and Richtofen's War.

The trading component of Civilisation was one of the better parts of the game - seeing what you could get away with. I recall there were three truths you had to say but I can't recall the third one - 1. The amount of cards (always 3), 2. At least one of the commodities had to be correct, 3. ??

I'll have to dig it out tonight and see what that third truth was...

Edit - I tried to paste a picture but couldn't seem to get it to work?

Cheers,

warspite1 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/11/2014 1:29:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie3

Pretty simple game, I was probably 9 or 10 when I got it. The by-line on the box is "Begin a lifetime of pleasure! Begin with WAR AT SEA!" and so it proved to be.

(I recently just bought an unpunched Panzer Leader on ebay, mine was too worn out to play, too many counters lost over the years.)

I also enjoyed the non-WW2 oriented - Shogun, Kingmaker, Civilisation and Richtofen's War.

The trading component of Civilisation was one of the better parts of the game - seeing what you could get away with. I recall there were three truths you had to say but I can't recall the third one - 1. The amount of cards (always 3), 2. At least one of the commodities had to be correct, 3. ??

Cheers,
warspite1

Yes, when I said Bismarck was my first serious wargame I did not include War at Sea - although perhaps should have as it was an AH game. It was pretty basic but got me on the road to proper wargaming so wasn't all bad [:)]

[image]local://upfiles/28156/F7EFDB89DAC54982805C10939B7563D9.jpg[/image]

bush -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/11/2014 1:34:52 PM)

I was strictly an SPI man and loved getting Moves and S&T magazines from them. In Moves there was an article about how to combine WiE with WitP. The interesting slant to it was that armored units were treated like land "carriers" that you sent tanks out on missions as opposed to aircraft.

wegman58 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/11/2014 2:54:54 PM)

SPI came along after Avalon Hill. Played both back in the day. Shipboard life meant that the wargames were lost in the past.

Eambar -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/11/2014 3:08:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie3

Cheers,
warspite1

Yes, when I said Bismarck was my first serious wargame I did not include War at Sea - although perhaps should have as it was an AH game. It was pretty basic but got me on the road to proper wargaming so wasn't all bad [:)]

[image]local://upfiles/28156/F7EFDB89DAC54982805C10939B7563D9.jpg[/image]

Yes, that's the one. USS Texas (I think) on the cover! And they even admit on the cover (to paraphrase) that this is the entry drug of choice to serious wargaming!

Cheers,

runescapecheapgold -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/15/2014 8:37:33 AM)

When I was child ,I'd like go to fishing with my father,and got older ,I enjoyed FIFA!

Big B -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/15/2014 6:34:44 PM)

Oh the memories!

I hated the 1D6 CRT....so glad when they went to 2D6 in later games

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

Avalon Hill - the gateway drug for a lot of us. AFRIKA KORPS - the all important die roll for the attack on Tobruk.

2-1 odds

This may be off a bit.

You had to have a 3-1 to get rid of the attacker eliminated result. The one die CRT was brutal and showed no mercy.

geofflambert -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/17/2014 1:51:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: runescapecheapgold

When I was child ,I'd like go to fishing with my father,and got older ,I enjoyed FIFA!

I would remind you that in WitP-AE you're allowed to bite. No suspensions.

HansBolter -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/18/2014 11:47:02 AM)

quote:

quote:

2-1 odds

This may be off a bit.

Lost track of this thread for a while. Came back today to discover this. Damn it brings back fond memories.

I recall once in high school days of spending the night at my buddies house and playing AK on his living room floor till dawn.

We played 4 games switching sides each time and every time the game came down to the 2-1 on Tobruk.

Third Reich (our favorite go to multiplayer game we based our Friday/Saturday night gaming around in my 20s and 30s) had a similar decisive element in its CRT with te results for a 1-1 attack.

One chance in six to kill the enemy.....one chance in six to kill yourself.....gotta love it.

John 3rd -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/18/2014 1:15:25 PM)

Those die rolls were pretty crazy! Remember them with great fondness and FEAR!

geofflambert -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/19/2014 2:16:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: runescapecheapgold

Moderator, you can't let these skalawags in here. Use your photon cannons and ask questions later.

Skyros -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/20/2014 12:50:38 AM)

Started with Stalingrad in 1970, then Ak and D-Day. Owned over 60 games from SPI, Yaquinto,Mayfair, AH etc. Played D&D, Runequest, and of course moved on to computer games. Started with Pacwar in 90s moved on to WiTP and then AE. All that I play now is AE and Catania with my daughters. Still have the old games though, no time or room to play them.

Bearcat2 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/20/2014 12:58:11 AM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOBwVJQi6_Y

Surprised no one mentioned The Swamp Fox, starring Leslie Nielsen, 1954, it was in COLOR, of course no had color TV's. 1st episode above

rockmedic109 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/20/2014 4:20:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Termite2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOBwVJQi6_Y

Surprised no one mentioned The Swamp Fox, starring Leslie Nielsen, 1954, it was in COLOR, of course no had color TV's. 1st episode above

I saw the last 10 mins of one episode or movie just after I got back from a camping trip. It was on Disney's Sunday night "Wonderful World of Disney". Never saw it again.

wegman58 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/20/2014 11:18:51 AM)

A bit before my time. But I did a reserve cruise on USS FRANCIS MARION (LPA-249) in 1977. Norfolk to London, Copenhagen (took a ferry to Malmo on the Sunday Borg won his second British Open - Sweden was closed) and Bremerhaven before back to the US. That was when I first heard of the Swamp Fox.

HansBolter -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/20/2014 11:58:33 AM)

Just watched an old war flick last night I had never seen before.

Attack on the Iron Coast starring LLoyd Bridges:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxyyDKCgULs

Was a fictionalized version of the Raid on St. Nazaire.

The target was LeClair and the premise was an old destroyer packed with explosives to be rammed into the dock accompanied by a Canadain commando raid on the port.

I always wondered why in that era of movie making they didn't just depict the actual operation, but instead create fictionalized versions of them.

It brought back fond memoires of the old AH solitaire game Raid on St. Nazaire.

wdolson -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/20/2014 10:43:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

The target was LeClair and the premise was an old destroyer packed with explosives to be rammed into the dock accompanied by a Canadain commando raid on the port.

I always wondered why in that era of movie making they didn't just depict the actual operation, but instead create fictionalized versions of them.

US movie studios probably fictionalized these stories so they could star Americans. These days audiences will sit still for movies which have no Americans in them, but that wasn't so (or wasn't thought to be so) back in the 1950s.

Bill

moore4807 -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/20/2014 11:32:19 PM)

Avalon Hill... I actually got invited to the AH Baltimore offices in the early 80's (when I was in High school) to pitch a board based wargame idea I had. The "idea" was to use the Luftwaffe game counters on a large strategic board of Europe, and using the AD&D 20sided and percentile dice sets were to determine occurrence/effectiveness of the aerial raid vs. the defense of the Luftwaffe.(think very vaguely of GGs 12 o clock high on standard three fold-out boards AH used)I spent over $50 back then to get a European/African map made up at a print shop to take with me to the meeting. I thought it was brilliant, the old guy and young guy who heard me out quickly tore my idea to shreds as unworkable in just over 1 hour... But after the old guy left, the younger guy told me to keep working on it and come back when I worked out the bugs. I never did/could fix my idea for the mass consumption requirements...

Fortunately those much more experienced than me undertook the task and did it well. <grin>

I for one was really sad to see AH go under, it felt like a family member died.

TOMLABEL -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/21/2014 1:21:48 AM)

quote:

I watched that too. Never had seen that before. I thought it was pretty good.

TOMLABEL

98ZJUSMC -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/21/2014 2:56:51 AM)

quote:

Shipboard life meant that the wargames were lost in the past.

Deployments/PCS/OCONUS FTXs.....sad.

All vanished into the mist somewhere.

98ZJUSMC -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/21/2014 3:03:52 AM)

Or Midway.

crsutton -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/21/2014 1:56:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

US movie studios probably fictionalized these stories so they could star Americans. These days audiences will sit still for movies which have no Americans in them, but that wasn't so (or wasn't thought to be so) back in the 1950s.

Bill

Yes, that is how William Holden found himself stuck in a British POW camp in the movie version of "The Bridge Over the River Kwai." American studio heads were convinced the movie had to have an American in order to sell.

crsutton -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/21/2014 1:58:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: moore4807

Avalon Hill... I actually got invited to the AH Baltimore offices in the early 80's (when I was in High school) to pitch a board based wargame idea I had. The "idea" was to use the Luftwaffe game counters on a large strategic board of Europe, and using the AD&D 20sided and percentile dice sets were to determine occurrence/effectiveness of the aerial raid vs. the defense of the Luftwaffe.(think very vaguely of GGs 12 o clock high on standard three fold-out boards AH used)I spent over $50 back then to get a European/African map made up at a print shop to take with me to the meeting. I thought it was brilliant, the old guy and young guy who heard me out quickly tore my idea to shreds as unworkable in just over 1 hour... But after the old guy left, the younger guy told me to keep working on it and come back when I worked out the bugs. I never did/could fix my idea for the mass consumption requirements...

Fortunately those much more experienced than me undertook the task and did it well. <grin>

I for one was really sad to see AH go under, it felt like a family member died.

Reed Street in Baltimore. They had their own game store in the basement. I used to ride my BSA up there to buy parts and games.

Chickenboy -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/21/2014 3:48:43 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bill

Yes, that is how William Holden found himself stuck in a British POW camp in the movie version of "The Bridge Over the River Kwai." American studio heads were convinced the movie had to have an American in order to sell.

In this case, they would have been right...

I think William Holden (and his character) were integral to the plot and the development of that fine movie. The camp also had Aussies and other nationals in it and would have been diminished in its scope, scale and impact had it been an (unrealistic) All-British exclusive camp and plot.

crsutton -> RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up (8/21/2014 4:51:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bill

In this case, they would have been right...

I think William Holden (and his character) were integral to the plot and the development of that fine movie. The camp also had Aussies and other nationals in it and would have been diminished in its scope, scale and impact had it been an (unrealistic) All-British exclusive camp and plot.

Well, it was not horrible but he was not in the novel and that seemed to work out just fine.

Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI