RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

wdolson -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/5/2014 10:21:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Cross the river, Everclear is legal in Virginia. Minnesota banned it because of lobbying by you-know-who (Anopheles). [;)] He has fan posters of Elliot Ness on his bedroom walls. [:D]

They sell Everclear here in Washington, but it's only 150 proof.

Of course marijuana is legal here too. My SO's new law office is across the street from Vancouver's first pot store. She said parking has gone to hell.

When I was a kid my father had some laboratory grade 95% ethanol that he had needed for some work project in the past. (He was a commercial photographer and he ha needed some special chemistry for some exotic film stock, I don't recall the details.) I found it one day when I was around 12 and my father suggested I taste it. He put some on a cotton ball and let me taste it. If I ever had any thoughts about taking it and drinking it (doubtful in the first place), that discouraged any further thought of it.

Bill

geofflambert -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 2:22:09 AM)

Ethanol has always been an excellent cleaning solvent that is relatively non-toxic. Between it and just plain water you can clean almost anything. Most stuff that won't dissolve in one will in the other.

geofflambert -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 2:25:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ormbane

quote:

I need to make more fun of a certain forumite. The etymology of Anopheles is a- (Greek for "without") no (no) pheles (Greek for "fleas") so it literally means "without no fleas" which is the same as "with fleas".

You are joking, right? Actually, it is the negation of the Greek word for "useful", so it would translate as "useless". The "a" is a negation prefix, as you indicated, but the "n" is simply a consonant added for pronunciation. My Greek is a bit rusty but I still caught this one [:)]

You're joking, right? Did you think any of that was supposed to be serious? Apparently I've caught you on this one.[:-]

geofflambert -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 2:26:35 AM)

For future reference, if I don't appear to be dead serious, I'm just joking. For a considerable part that goes for the Chickenboy also, though he'll deny it.

Footslogger -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 2:29:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Cross the river, Everclear is legal in Virginia. Minnesota banned it because of lobbying by you-know-who (Anopheles). [;)] He has fan posters of Elliot Ness on his bedroom walls. [:D]

Of course marijuana is legal here too. My SO's new law office is across the street from Vancouver's first pot store. She said parking has gone to hell.

When I was a kid my father had some laboratory grade 95% ethanol that he had needed for some work project in the past. (He was a commercial photographer and he ha needed some special chemistry for some exotic film stock, I don't recall the details.) I found it one day when I was around 12 and my father suggested I taste it. He put some on a cotton ball and let me taste it. If I ever had any thoughts about taking it and drinking it (doubtful in the first place), that discouraged any further thought of it.

Bill

Bill, do you ever have any at the office? How about the other OP's [:D][:D]

geofflambert -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 2:29:54 AM)

Seriously, did you buy it that "pheles" was Greek for "fleas"? [:D][:D][:D][:D]

Ormbane -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 2:34:09 AM)

quote:

Seriously, did you buy it that "pheles" was Greek for "fleas"? [:D][:D][:D][:D]

Obviously not, but I have seen people make the kind of mistake that you claim was a joke [;)] (p.s., I taught a few semesters of Greek, so there is no limit to the mistakes that I've seen. However, in the future I will give you the benefit of the doubt[:)])

geofflambert -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 2:38:51 AM)

I would refer you to the great Greek philosopher Impedocles, but just now I can't remember what he said 'cause I'm giggling too hard.

geofflambert -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 2:43:01 AM)

I understand, I took a couple of semesters of German but I'm still not Goethe.

wdolson -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 4:24:13 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger
Bill, do you ever have any at the office? How about the other OP's [:D][:D]

Sorry, I must be slow kid in school today, I'm not sure what OP means.

In any case I don't have any Everclear or marijuana, nor am I interested in getting any of either.

Bill

Chickenboy -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 4:25:03 AM)

quote:

For future reference, if I don't appear to be dead serious, I'm just joking. For a considerable part that goes for the Chickenboy also, though he'll deny it.

Huh? Wha?

Chickenboy -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 4:25:46 AM)

quote:

However, in the future I will give you the benefit of the doubt[:)])

Oh, for the love of...DON'T DO THAT!!!

Lokasenna -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 4:40:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanSez

quote:

Ok, now you guys have gone and done it - after reading through this thread I went out under the pretext of replenishing my wife's Dewar's White Label and smuggled in some Ardberg for myself. The Ardberg costs more in 750ml than the 1.75l of Dewar's. You guys are a bad influence on me [:)]

Yes, my sweet dear woman likes the Crown Royal Black and the 750ml of Jura 16 cost more than the 1.5 ltr 90 proof Crown Royal Black. Much better taste/experience with Jura, much bigger bang for your buck with the Crown Royal Black.

Like them both, for different reasons.
I got the Ardbeg on a "watch list" next time I go to stock up.

Ardbeg is very expensive here. My curiosity is aroused but I don't have that kind of money for booze.

geofflambert -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 5:34:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Huh? Wha?

You see? He did exactly what I said he would do. I own him! [8D]

geofflambert -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 5:36:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

However, in the future I will give you the benefit of the doubt[:)])

Oh, for the love of...DON'T DO THAT!!!

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

JocMeister -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 6:49:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Ardbeg is very expensive here. My curiosity is aroused but I don't have that kind of money for booze.

Its pretty damn expensive here too! [:D]

Try the "Ten years" though. Its their mainstream brand and a lot cheaper then the special editions. Although the special editions like Corrywreckan, Auriverdes are way better they are a bit on the expensive side...

You can always buy the Hogshead Fifteenth edition. Only 900 USD for 700ml! [:D]

DanSez -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 12:39:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

quote:

Its pretty damn expensive here too! [:D]

Try the "Ten years" though. Its their mainstream brand and a lot cheaper then the special editions. Although the special editions like Corrywreckan, Auriverdes are way better they are a bit on the expensive side...

You can always buy the Hogshead Fifteenth edition. Only 900 USD for 700ml! [:D]

ahhaha

I said I would "watch list" it, but at $900, that is a few pay grades above what I am willing to spend. I think my top dolla' would be about $150 -- and that is for special occations. How does that fit into their price structure? I maybe just looking thru the shop window.

thanks

Lokasenna -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 3:04:37 PM)

Yeah - I never spend more than $45 USD on a bottle of anything. I figure that at that range, the "better" stuff isn't really going to be that much better. I'll live with decent drinks.

JocMeister -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 3:57:40 PM)

Canīt compare with Swedish prices as we have one of the highest taxes in the work on alcohol. But looking at British prices a bottle of Ardbeg Ten is about 50-60 USD without VAT. My favorite the Ardbeg Corryvreckan would be around 100 USD. But thats London prices. Probably a little more expensive in the states.

Here is one of the most well stocked stores for whiskey in the world. Would be very surprised if they didnīt ship to the states! [:)]

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/

Mike Solli -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 4:03:29 PM)

Whiskey? [sm=vomit-smiley-020.gif]

Lokasenna -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 4:05:43 PM)

quote:

Canīt compare with Swedish prices as we have one of the highest taxes in the work on alcohol. But looking at British prices a bottle of Ardbeg Ten is about 50-60 USD without VAT. My favorite the Ardbeg Corryvreckan would be around 100 USD. But thats London prices. Probably a little more expensive in the states.

Here is one of the most well stocked stores for whiskey in the world. Would be very surprised if they didnīt ship to the states! [:)]

I glanced at prices in my preferred store the other night. It was 100 USD. Maybe it was for that other kind, but I thought it was just for standard Ardbeg. They've gotta import it, after all. Across that big ol' ocean.

JocMeister -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 4:28:33 PM)

quote:

I glanced at prices in my preferred store the other night. It was 100 USD. Maybe it was for that other kind, but I thought it was just for standard Ardbeg. They've gotta import it, after all. Across that big ol' ocean.

My bet is that it was one of the special editions. The regular Ten years is usually about half the price. So I would begin with that one. If you donīt like it you wonīt like the more pricey ones. [:)]

DanSez -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 6:53:50 PM)

The Jura 16 yr runs about $63 at the store I usually stock up. On the web site it quotes:

10 yr - $52
UIGEADAIL ISLAY 90(degree?) - $68
104.2(degree?) - $76
Coreyvecken 114(degree?) - $78
AURIVERDES SINGLE MALT 99.8 - $91

hey, Jura Superstition is only $56...

DanSez -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 6:58:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Whiskey? [sm=vomit-smiley-020.gif]

Do you have a preferred spirit or do you stay away from all the toxins?
and welcome back, I thought you were just a legend ...
[:)]

JocMeister -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 7:26:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanSez

The Jura 16 yr runs about $63 at the store I usually stock up. On the web site it quotes:

10 yr - $52
UIGEADAIL ISLAY 90(degree?) - $68
104.2(degree?) - $76
Coreyvecken 114(degree?) - $78
AURIVERDES SINGLE MALT 99.8 - $91

hey, Jura Superstition is only $56...

Sounds like excellent prices. God I hate Swedish taxes... [:(]

The Auriverdes is the best one of those the the Corryvreckan a close second. Auriverdes is very hard to come buy though. Only sold 800 bottles in Sweden and they sold out within 15 minutes. Another batch is said to be arriving shortly though.

Corrywreckan is the most value for money IMO. I wouldnīt recommend the Uigeadail. Of all the Ardbegs I find that one the most "shallow" in taste.

btd64 -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 8:07:09 PM)

I use to work with an Architect who liked Dewar's. He let me try it and I haven't look back.[sm=00000436.gif]....GP

Ormbane -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 10:37:00 PM)

I will never claim to be a connoisseur of whiskey. When I opened my bottle of Ardbeg I poured a class and took a sip right away, offering some to my wife as well. Neither of us was very impressed and it did not make my list of drinks to try again. However, this afternoon I poured some into a tumbler, let it set for awhile, and then began sipping it slowly over a few hours. I must say that this greatly improved my experience of it and while it hasn't made it to my "buy regularly" list it has made my trial of it a positive experience.

wdolson -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/6/2014 11:04:54 PM)

quote:

In the US there is both a federal tax and a state tax. The federal tax is difficult to compute because it is based on the alcohol content (they essentially tax only the alcohol in something), but the state taxes vary dramatically from $0 in Wyoming and New Hampshire to $35.22 per gallon in my state of Washington. California is only $3.30 a gallon and there is a giant liquor store on the California/Oregon border.

In a quick search I haven't been able to find a similar comparison country to country, though I did find some comments that the Scandinavian countries have some of the highest alcohol taxes in the world.

Bill

Lokasenna -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/7/2014 1:27:17 AM)

I believe in DC it's just an extra sales tax - I think another 4%, as I pay 10% at bars vs. 6% from sales taxes.

As for Everclear...they do still sell that in places, but now it's down to 151 proof, which I think is the maximum allowed.

btd64 -> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? (9/7/2014 2:21:46 AM)

Just spent $86 on some of my favorites. Sitting here typing this with a glass of dewar's on the rocks. Hard night at the restuarant. Can't even spell tonight....[sm=party-smiley-012.gif]....GP

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI