RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/22/2014 3:02:50 PM)

<radio chatter>

"BRAVO LEADER, BRAVO LEADER THIS IS BRAVO TWO. I THINK I'M HIT! I CAN'T SEE!

"Bravo two this is Bravo one. Try moving your hair again"

Chickenboy -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/22/2014 3:20:24 PM)

Clearly the one-eyed blonde "monster" (see below for similar hairstyle) is sporting a JFB shirt. Did M&M Security Division do the security screening on this guy?

[image]local://upfiles/6968/5F49B19F07B24F81831ADAC6DF3B4487.jpg[/image]

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/22/2014 3:25:12 PM)

Thank you for the tip. I am notifying USAAFE as we speak.

witpqs -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/22/2014 6:58:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Thank you for the tip. I am notifying USAAFE as we speak.

Ah - that explains the name: USAAFE, me safe, we all safe!

sprior -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/22/2014 7:39:30 PM)

[image]local://upfiles/6847/AAEF4EC2C9624992A488029B10DA0803.jpg[/image]

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 12:01:33 PM)

What if you are worse at dancing than you are at golf?

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 12:15:10 PM)

***********Aboard Dewey Dry Dock, under tow from USS Tulsa, Manila Harbor, 23:30, Dec 8, 1941(e)*****

<the ship is down 5 degrees by the "stern" after the Dec 7 attacks>

Ensign Pulver: Sir, how do you make our chances?

Cmdr. Jensen: Chances? Our best speed 5 kts? Jap carriers in the Sulu Sea, surface forces, subs, bombers from Formosa..and it's a long way to Darwin. I'm afraid they aren't very good, son.

Ensign Pulver: That's what I figured, sir. The boys at Subic got up a big wager on whether we would make it or not. I put in everything I had.

Cmdr. Jensen: Son, do you mean to tell me you bet your life savings on us making Darwin?

Ensign Pulver: Oh, heck no sir. I may be a little wet behind the ears but mama did not raise a stupid son.

Itdepends -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 12:24:56 PM)

Sprior that sign missed one advisement
"don't pay the ferryman"

Itdepends -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 12:26:11 PM)

quote:

Look on the bright side- you're unlikely to lose any of your balls while dancing.

uncivil_servant -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 12:58:43 PM)

It is a shame that the game with Dec 7 rules has commands that were notified of possible upcoming attack (Philippines) are hampered by having their CAP on day one gutted. Did you lose all of your pacific subs and the only type of USN subs that are worth a darn for the next year+ (the S type)?

I wonder if you can do a reverse Pearl Harbor and send your PH old BBs, with refueling points on a trajectory taking them to Tokyo Bay/Nasby industrial city to do some Industrial Bombardment. Or does mainland Japan have buku air search and betty bombers stationed there?

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 12:58:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

quote:

Look on the bright side- you're unlikely to lose any of your balls while dancing.

You might on Bugis Street. Professionally, I mean.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 1:02:53 PM)

Air losses from the 8th. RAF bombers take it in the shorts going after the carriers off Malaysia.
That is probably the point of putting them there but it won't be so much fun for Japan if Hiryu "takes one up the chuff".
P-40's and display model P-26's get slaughter in the PI trying t protect the ships.

[image]local://upfiles/7983/CCC58905B1054B739A9488A1EA37C945.jpg[/image]

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 1:09:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: uncivil_servant

It is a shame that the game with Dec 7 rules has commands that were notified of possible upcoming attack (Philippines) are hampered by having their CAP on day one gutted. Did you lose all of your pacific subs and the only type of USN subs that are worth a darn for the next year+ (the S type)?

I wonder if you can do a reverse Pearl Harbor and send your PH old BBs, with refueling points on a trajectory taking them to Tokyo Bay/Nasby industrial city to do some Industrial Bombardment. Or does mainland Japan have buku air search and betty bombers stationed there?

We lost only one S-boat so far, but quite a few boats are damaged as well. The thing is, if there were no Pearl Harbor attack, it is plausible that the KB could show up in the South China Sea at 7 AM and pound Manila without warning. I think that is what FDR was basically expecting, an attack on the PI.

[image]local://upfiles/7983/B2DC361A802046ABAEAAFBAEC43B187A.jpg[/image]

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 1:13:51 PM)

All of these boats refused to put to sea despite warnings that Manila now has no CAP.

[image]local://upfiles/7983/55452866AF154B038FA5B98315EBBAAA.jpg[/image]

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 1:15:19 PM)

Half a dozen lightly damaged or undamaged boats are on patrol or headed for Soerabaja,

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 1:17:00 PM)

So far, we saved every B-17 but the squadron that starts the game in crates is still being shipped around Luzon like Pakistani nukes. [:)]

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 1:21:11 PM)

The main problem with using the prewar USN BB's on a port-busting raid is their speed. How would they get away at 21-22 kts if the KB were anywhere around?

They are very useful when it comes time to do amphibious landings. The can bombard just as well as a New Jersey
and they can be placed in amphibious convoys to absorb and suppress shore fire

Itdepends -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 1:46:06 PM)

You know if you disband those b17's most of the squadrons immediately show up on the west coast unrestricted......

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 1:53:23 PM)

quote:

You know if you disband those b17's most of the squadrons immediately show up on the west coast unrestricted......

[X(] There is one left. I will dry-lab it.

Nope, it doesn't work with the B-17D HQ thingy on Luzon. Some of the 17's might show up as replacements later. The pilots are nothing to write home about anyway. [:)]

BBfanboy -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 3:06:34 PM)

quote:

quote:

[X(] There is one left. I will dry-lab it.

Nope, it doesn't work with the B-17D HQ thingy on Luzon. Some of the 17's might show up as replacements later. The pilots are nothing to write home about anyway. [:)]

You cannot disband the main element squadron until all the parts of it are together. You can disband some of the fragments elsewhere but unless it is a large base or has an HQ nearby the planes are usually destroyed rather than sent to the pool.

Itdepends -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 8:36:27 PM)

I think the HQ is the only one that doesn't immediately reform. For giggles, try it on a new head to head scenario. It worked for us in the 2x2 we are playing against you.

Mike McCreery -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 9:27:38 PM)

quote:

You pray that when it is over with you still have all your balls...

zuluhour -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 10:26:24 PM)

DANG IT! I still don't see the headlights.......

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 10:32:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

DANG IT! I still don't see the headlights.......

That's because you're in the wrong war, amigo.

zuluhour -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/23/2014 10:38:04 PM)

[X(]

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/25/2014 3:21:15 PM)

Get this 4th Marine Regt only arrived in Luzon in Novmember '41. You may be surprised where they were before.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/25/2014 3:22:00 PM)

quote:

I think the HQ is the only one that doesn't immediately reform. For giggles, try it on a new head to head scenario. It worked for us in the 2x2 we are playing against you.

That is soooooo gamey. [:D]

witpqs -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/25/2014 3:26:21 PM)

quote:

Get this 4th Marine Regt only arrived in Luzon in Novmember '41. You may be surprised where they were before.

China. Was it Shanghai?

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/25/2014 3:31:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

China. Was it Shanghai?

Shanghai it was. Must have been some kind of political statement. Crazy idea to put a whole regiment of Marines right in the middle of many tens of thousands of likely potential adversaries where they could have useful military role.

Of course, Luzon did not prove much better.

witpqs -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/25/2014 3:40:50 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

China. Was it Shanghai?

Shanghai it was. Must have been some kind of political statement. Crazy idea to put a whole regiment of Marines right in the middle of many tens of thousands of likely potential adversaries where they could have useful military role.

Of course, Luzon did not prove much better.

Somewhere on this forum a few years ago I read that they were not really that unit, but were put together from various smaller units that had been providing security (think like embassy security, only I don't that was what they said). Sort of like a 'presence' or 'show of force' probably aimed mostly at local thugs (even ones in authority) and obviously not an Imperial invasion. IIRC maybe a small number were in the Philippines and added in when the others were pulled out of China as war drew more obviously near.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI