RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/25/2014 3:54:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Get this 4th Marine Regt only arrived in Luzon in Novmember '41. You may be surprised where they were before.

China. Was it Shanghai?

Shanghai it was. Must have been some kind of political statement. Crazy idea to put a whole regiment of Marines right in the middle of many tens of thousands of likely potential adversaries where they could have useful military role.

Of course, Luzon did not prove much better.

Somewhere on this forum a few years ago I read that they were not really that unit, but were put together from various smaller units that had been providing security (think like embassy security, only I don't that was what they said). Sort of like a 'presence' or 'show of force' probably aimed mostly at local thugs (even ones in authority) and obviously not an Imperial invasion. IIRC maybe a small number were in the Philippines and added in when the others were pulled out of China as war drew more obviously near.

Ah, well that makes a lot more sense.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/25/2014 4:02:46 PM)

Many places where it was an unpromising spot to be posted in December 1941.

USS Penguin

Wake Island

Hong Kong

Of course, there were many others although it wasn't immediately obvious at the time.

Somewhere between May 1938 and October 1941, the USN realizes it is not a good idea too put identifying postmarks on mail from ships.

[image]http://www.navalcovermuseum.org/wiki/images/c/c9/JonBurdett_penguin_am33_19380510.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.navalcovermuseum.org/wiki/images/c/cf/JonBurdett_penguin_am33_19411027.jpg[/image]

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/26/2014 4:54:52 PM)

quote:

Dec. 9

No attacks on Manila or Clark today. Maybe it was the clouds or maybe the Japs are resting up for another big push. Fleet HQ ordered a number of ships back into the yard yesterday, despite the threat of attack. I gather the plan is to get as many of the subs capable of at least short term submerged running to get them out to Darwin or Java. I have my doubts but it isn't my call. We spent the day caching ammo, getting up cammo netting and sandbagging. No reports of any Jap landing on Luzon yet. Most of the planes are gone from Manila now. I think the AAF has given up against the Zero.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/26/2014 5:01:03 PM)

Perhaps this is why a WJD Carrier Division is off Malyasia? After the Allied fighters have been busy with WJD air attacks on the field at Georgetown.

I suspect Admiral Lord SPrior was trying to get the lads likely to be trapped at Georgetown out of there. It didn't really work so far. [:)]

Morning Air attack on TF, near Georgetown at 49,74

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 10
D3A1 Val x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAP Ipoh, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk
xAP Perak
xAKL Circe, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/26/2014 5:06:31 PM)

The Blenheims go after the carriers off Malaysia after the CAP has been depleted. This seems terribly imprudent on the part of the WJD.

What if these were Stringbags? Maybe if we marshalled all the
naval attack aircraft at Singers?

Morning Air attack on TF, near Kuantan at 53,80

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 31 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 11
Buffalo I x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 2 damaged
Buffalo I: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CV Hiryu
BB Kirishima

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x Blenheim IV bombing from 15000 feet
Naval Attack: 4 x 250 lb SAP Bomb

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/26/2014 5:08:22 PM)

Bettys from Indochina sink two more transports at Georgetown. Maybe if we flew down part of AVG we could fend off the attacs?

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Georgetown at 49,74

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 1
G4M1 Betty x 9

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IF x 1
Buffalo I x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 4 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
xAP Perak, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAKL Pahang, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/26/2014 5:17:07 PM)

It appears that both the KB(minus one division) and a CVL are in or near the Sulu Sea and beating up on the retreating AKL's.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/26/2014 5:52:34 PM)

LYB's capture Tarawa but we surprise them...we no show up.

They capture Nauru Island along with 1807 poor souls, 3 dinged up RAAF Catalinas and...well....****load of bird guano.

LYB's landing at Miri.

Turns out KB is probably South of Sulawese now. Looks like a strong early push toward Timor or even Northern Oz..or not.

sprior -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/26/2014 5:54:08 PM)

quote:

The bloody Stringbags were given Naval Attack orders and we even found some torpedogs for them. No duff for the Stringbag drivers tomorrow.

sprior -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/26/2014 5:55:42 PM)

quote:

I suspect Admiral Lord SPrior was trying to get the lads likely to be trapped at Georgetown out of there. It didn't really work so far. [:)]

That was kind of the idea.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/26/2014 5:57:40 PM)

[image]local://upfiles/7983/8778967A08CE4CD3AD6FB738DC77CAE7.jpg[/image]

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/26/2014 6:01:40 PM)

Here is why Nauru Island only has a AV of 1. The concept of camouflage has not sunk in yet.

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Nauruan-warrior-1880ers.jpg[/image]

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/26/2014 6:04:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

The bloody Stringbags were given Naval Attack orders and we even found some torpedogs for them. No duff for the Stringbag drivers tomorrow.

And no Bugis Street either! Tell them they can have a VC if they put one "up the chuff" of Hiryu. Maybe even bring some Dutch Uglofortresses?

BBfanboy -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 6:31:33 AM)

quote:

quote:

You mean this Duff?

[image]local://upfiles/35791/D2156461F0BE40F8B0B952B8AA3E0529.jpg[/image]

BBfanboy -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 6:34:28 AM)

And one of our mighty British pilots .... saaaaay that background looks familiar!

[image]local://upfiles/35791/067D5E958B2742A2885FC0995D3CDA88.jpg[/image]

jmalter -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 8:40:36 AM)

quote:

Here is why Nauru Island only has a AV of 1. The concept of camouflage has not sunk in yet.
[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Nauruan-warrior-1880ers.jpg[/image]

Not wanting to be to terribly racist here, but I detect a cargo-cult in the offing. What say you give the folks at Nauru some respect, & promise them "I shall return!"

sprior -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 8:52:17 AM)

Our staunch pilots resist the yellow scourge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RWh2fnHNTg

sprior -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 9:22:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

You mean this Duff?

No, this duff

[image]local://upfiles/6847/7DAB063A14ED428AB14941FE09362707.jpg[/image]

Mike McCreery -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 12:00:00 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

You mean this Duff?

No, this duff

[image]local://upfiles/6847/7DAB063A14ED428AB14941FE09362707.jpg[/image]

If people cleaned their work area before making bread they wouldnt have all that stuff stuck in it....

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 2:10:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

quote:

Not wanting to be to terribly racist here, but I detect a cargo-cult in the offing. What say you give the folks at Nauru some respect, & promise them "I shall return!"

As far as I can tell, the only people to leave Nauru are the RAAF crews who flew their Catalinas over to Ocean Is. when they spotted the LYB's coming.
Not sure who the highest ranking individual was, probably an Lt. Sounds kind of pompous for an Lt. to say "I shall return" but that would sound like a prophesy. In the case of Nauru, it is probably too late for a cargo cult. There have been Europeans mining guano there for decades....to make explosives, ironically.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 2:13:24 PM)

quote:

Our staunch pilots resist the yellow scourge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RWh2fnHNTg

They dood with the receding hairline is like totally talking Valley Girl. Is he like from Northumbria or is it a trick to fool the Japanese.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 2:25:36 PM)

**************Nauru Island, Dec. 9, 1941(e)*************

<The last operable Catalina is moored 50 yds off the beach, a small boat is ready to take her crew aboard. A small crowd of Nauru dignitaries waits on the beach>

Flt Lt. Uppington-Smythe: <hugs Chief> Thank you, Chief of the Nauru. I have enjoyed my time on Nauru immensely. I shall never forget you.

Nauru Chieftan: Good luck, Flight Lieutenant! <the crew board the small boat and push off>

Nauru Island HOA President: <speaking quietly to Chief> Wow, sappy bastard, isn't he? How long was he here?

Nauru Chieftan: One day, I believe.

Flt Lt. Uppington-Smythe: I SHALL RETURN!

Nauru Chieftan: THE PEOPLE OF NAURU SHALL AWAIT YOU!...AND BRING LOTS OF CARGO! <waves broadly and then turns to HOA President> Come, we must prepare the guano contract for the Japanese.....

sprior -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 3:09:35 PM)

Flying Tigers over Rangoon

[image]local://upfiles/6847/57F89DB38A4A4B5BB1C79BFF017D58FE.jpg[/image]

sprior -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 3:10:59 PM)

Someone left their goolie chit behind

[image]local://upfiles/6847/F81EC25CF65946E19981CB0443C61392.jpg[/image]

sprior -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 3:42:09 PM)

Meanwhile RAF ramps up its training program

[image]local://upfiles/6847/3FC475AA980840408F416053EA30014F.jpg[/image]

Chickenboy -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 4:55:56 PM)

Ugh. Re: the duff: I can't look at stuff like that without thinking of this...[:(]

[image]local://upfiles/6968/C0ABFA7A821C460FA67F559E9A5C1254.jpg[/image]

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 4:56:01 PM)

quote:

Instructor guy: mmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMzzzzzzzzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuu

Trainee: tchutchutchutchutchu....GOTCHA!

Instructor guy: No way! You were waaaaaay low.

Trainee: Was not!

Instructor guy: Were too!

Trainee: Was not!.............

Chickenboy -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 4:57:31 PM)

quote:

Lord Admiral: Is the trainee saying 'budda budda budda' in the training simulator?

BBfanboy -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/27/2014 5:21:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Lord Admiral: Is the trainee saying 'budda budda budda' in the training simulator?

Unless he is Burmese, in which case he would say BuddhaBuddhaBuddha ...

Cap Mandrake -> RE: At dawn we slept.....in the cab on the way back from Olongapo (12/28/2014 1:22:59 AM)

*************December 10, 1941(e)*************

Chicago moves for a possible intercept of transports at a chokepoint in the Ceram Sea.

Boise moves to cover a possible move on Sorong. Chicago has a clean sweep of transport heading back to Palau. Boise is hit by 2 x 250 kg bombs with light to moderated damage. Chicago hides in a rainsquall.

Ryujo barely escapes destruction from bombers operating from Ambon.

[image]local://upfiles/7983/0B8183C5B1F84B0CB9F74C84B7B16D2D.jpg[/image]

Day Time Surface Combat, near Gebe at 81,104, Range 23,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DMS W-8, Shell hits 4, and is sunk
xAK Hasuna Maru, Shell hits 10, and is sunk
xAK Meigen Maru, Shell hits 7, and is sunk
xAK Yamafuku Maru, Shell hits 14, and is sunk
xAKL Kakyu Maru, Shell hits 5, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CA Houston

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!