AIRFRAME FATIGUE (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

wegman58 -> AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/8/2015 11:06:48 AM)

How does one get airframe fatigue driven down.

For pilots - it seems easy - stand them down in a place not getting attacked.

Planes - I stand them down at a large base with surplus aviation support and unless the plane is damaged not much seems to happen. For carrier aircraft moving them to a base when anchored (and then back to the carrier) seems to do the trick after a day or two; land based bombers not so much. I've even tried loading them on a ship and back to port with limited success.

Yakface -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/8/2015 11:17:06 AM)

Hi Wegman

I followed airframe fatigue for a unit over the course of a couple of weeks. What I saw was pretty much as you describe. It does gradually creep down if you stand unit down, but big figures are reduced most effectively by forcing the plane to repair (swap to different model then back/load on transport etc).

Just as a side point - in general plane fatigue does not seem to be much of an issue. 10 to 20 points don't seem to result in additional write offs. It's only when it gets into the 50-100 range that I worry.

jmalter -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/8/2015 12:39:16 PM)

airframe fatigue recovery is a big problem for late-war Allied 4EBs. Airframes w/ svc-rating of 4 or 5 just don't get any love, they don't get back to the flight-line. B-29s based at 7(4) airbases w/ sufficient air-support aren't returned from damaged/maintenance status, they take ages to repair. IME, a total stand-down of the airgroup (Training=0) doesn't help, the dam/maint airframes are stuck in sticky goo.

Perhaps the game-engine gives priority to active air-groups, but my stood-down groups aren't able to repair their damaged planes.

crsutton -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/8/2015 1:13:53 PM)

Rest will get the large numbers down fairly fast. Once you reach a certain point it seems to get slower. But as said, I don't think twice about flying air frames with wear into the 20's or 30's.

HansBolter -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/8/2015 2:19:43 PM)

This seems pretty reasonable to me.

After all, metal fatigue isn't something that "recovers" with rest like human fatigue.

Worn out brakes and tires don't recover with rest either.

Once you stress a component it remains stressed until replaced.

One would think however, that a week of standing down would allow for sufficient replacement of stressed components to se a reduction in fatigue.

I would also think there are some stressed parts that simply can't be replaced in the field.

RogerJNeilson -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/8/2015 3:21:20 PM)

I tend to teat them as pretty expendible, have never worried about airframe fatigue. Too busy killing the enemy!

Now in August 1944, too late to start worrying now.

Roger

tiemanjw -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/8/2015 5:02:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wegman58

How does one get airframe fatigue driven down.

For pilots - it seems easy - stand them down in a place not getting attacked.

Planes - I stand them down at a large base with surplus aviation support and unless the plane is damaged not much seems to happen. For carrier aircraft moving them to a base when anchored (and then back to the carrier) seems to do the trick after a day or two; land based bombers not so much. I've even tried loading them on a ship and back to port with limited success.

I've looked at this a bit in my game. For the units I looked at (mostly fighters), the magic number was 70. When I stood the group down, all air frames over 70 fatigue went into maintenance. All under did not.

One other thing I found is if you have pdu on, you can "upgrade" the unit to something else, then "upgrade" it back to what it was. You need to have sufficient air frames in your replacement pool (or enough time for the origional air frames to make it too the pool)
I thought about this a bit, and I don't think it is gamey. I consider it depot level repair for my air frames. It costs supply, it has to be done at a "large" "well supplied" base (as defined by the requirements to upgrade air frames), you need to have replacement air frames in pool, and the new air frames arrive in maintenance mode and take several days to be flight worthy. I don't know why, but for some reason I feel the need to justify this to myself.

bush -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/8/2015 6:49:31 PM)

Does having extra airframes assigned to the squadron, help keep the fatigue lower for a longer period of time? This seems to work with overstocking the pilot pool in a given unit.

tiemanjw -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/8/2015 7:17:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bushpsu

Does having extra airframes assigned to the squadron, help keep the fatigue lower for a longer period of time? This seems to work with overstocking the pilot pool in a given unit.

Not really.
An extra airframe(s) will become active when another goes down for repairs or maintenance. The airframe will go into repairs or maintenance based on its damage and/or fatigue. As far as I know, this is independant of having reserve air frames. The reserve airframe will just take its place, and the origional will go to reserve once it is repaired (assuming a full squadron - else it goes to the squadron).

Yaab -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/8/2015 8:03:15 PM)

B-29s?
http://www.usmm.org/felknorivory.html

Alfred -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/8/2015 10:38:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tiemanj

quote:

Not really.
An extra airframe(s) will become active when another goes down for repairs or maintenance. The airframe will go into repairs or maintenance based on its damage and/or fatigue. As far as I know, this is independant of having reserve air frames. The reserve airframe will just take its place, and the origional will go to reserve once it is repaired (assuming a full squadron - else it goes to the squadron).

Read my post in this 2013 thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3371056&mpage=1&key=airframe%2Cfatigue�

Alfred

tiemanjw -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/9/2015 3:38:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

quote:

Not really.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3371056&mpage=1&key=airframe%2Cfatigue�

Alfred

cool... thanks.

Quick clarification on point 4:
quote:

4. If the squadron has spare airframes in "reserve", damaged planes are automatically rotated out to be repaired and are automatically replaced by airframes from the reserve.

I think what you are saying here is that if a airframe is pulled out of circulation for maintenance, a reserve airframe will take its place... and not that the reserve airframes presence makes the chance of repair more likely. Is that correct?

Also, to clarify my previous post, all of the fighters I checked (with the magic number of 70) was when I stood them down... and they all had a SR of 1 (navy and USMC F4Fs and F6Fs). This seems like it might be relevant in light of Alfred's information.

Yaab -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/10/2015 7:53:32 PM)

In DaBabes A, B-29 with its 70 durability and service rating of 5, is the most maintenance-hungry aircraft in the whole war. Plan accordingly.

geofflambert -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/10/2015 9:37:00 PM)

If you're the US, use them for training in '42 and '43, after that you will have plenty of replacements. UK and Commonwealth not so much. Pilot fatigue will abate if they are training with a range of zero and a low altitude like 5k. They should recover nicely even if you're training 100% but follow the preceding advice.

jmalter -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/11/2015 1:25:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab
In DaBabes A, B-29 with its 70 durability and service rating of 5, is the most maintenance-hungry aircraft in the whole war. Plan accordingly.

You're right, Yaab - one's B-29 fleet must be husbanded carefully. Esp w/ Alfred's note that an airframes SR serves to modify its ability to be maintained.

But what gets up my nose, is the 'Est Delay' when I tag the 'Planes' screen. Consistently, I have B-29s that don't return to the flight-line, despite the fact that on the previous day, their Est Delay was 1. Seems to me that the Est Delay does not take proper account of the airframes' SR.

& given Alfred's (raw maintenance index)/(Service Rating) formula, will increasing my B-29 bases Aviation Support to 5 times the req'ment give me adequate repair capability?

Yaab -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/11/2015 1:33:40 PM)

I don't know. Aircraft with max durability 30 /service rating 1 will, theoretically, repair in one day. This makes Wildcat such a great airframe. However, it is not a given. Once enough damage accumulates, the repairs take longer. I have seen Oscars with enough air support repair in 2 days, instead of 1 day. I do not know where the damage threshold is. The longest repair times I have seen were 7 days for B-17. Never seen 8,9 or 10 days.

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/11/2015 1:56:10 PM)

When you guys refer to enough support I'm presuming you mean 1 support/plane .. What i have found to drastically reduce ops losses and airframe fatigue is 1 support/engine . IE 4 support for a B29 ., 2 for a C-47 etc. This is ofc modified by the service rating, but do try huge AV levels e.g 600+/size 9 base and I hope you'll find they fly a lot more often and more safely.

This is anecdotal but over 2-3 full PBEM games its becoming obvious to me more AV is never 'wasted'.

TTFN

Alfred -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/13/2015 4:36:46 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

quote:

Not really.

Alfred

cool... thanks.

Quick clarification on point 4:
quote:

4. If the squadron has spare airframes in "reserve", damaged planes are automatically rotated out to be repaired and are automatically replaced by airframes from the reserve.

I think what you are saying here is that if a airframe is pulled out of circulation for maintenance, a reserve airframe will take its place... and not that the reserve airframes presence makes the chance of repair more likely. Is that correct?

Also, to clarify my previous post, all of the fighters I checked (with the magic number of 70) was when I stood them down... and they all had a SR of 1 (navy and USMC F4Fs and F6Fs). This seems like it might be relevant in light of Alfred's information.

tiemanj,

Yes, that is the correct interpretation of point 4. Spare airframes is like spare pilots; the code automatically rotates them in and out in an attempt to maintain the availability at the TOE level. The main difference being that pilots reduce fatigue much, much faster than metal fatigue is removed from the airframes.

Alfred

Alfred -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/13/2015 4:59:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

You're right, Yaab - one's B-29 fleet must be husbanded carefully. Esp w/ Alfred's note that an airframes SR serves to modify its ability to be maintained.

But what gets up my nose, is the 'Est Delay' when I tag the 'Planes' screen. Consistently, I have B-29s that don't return to the flight-line, despite the fact that on the previous day, their Est Delay was 1. Seems to me that the Est Delay does not take proper account of the airframes' SR.

& given Alfred's (raw maintenance index)/(Service Rating) formula, will increasing my B-29 bases Aviation Support to 5 times the req'ment give me adequate repair capability?

Aircraft durability is not a relevant consideration for repairs/maintenance.

The "est delay" is exactly that; an estimate. The chance of repairs actually occurring is dependent on

• the damage level to the airfield's service facility
  • the amount of aviation support (on a 1:1 Av Sup to #of airframes basis)
  • adequate supplies at the base

It can only be an estimate as the program does not know in advance how many "ready" av sup devices will be available subsequently, nor whether any additional airfield service damage will be sustained, nor the level of supplies left after combat, nor how many new planes will become damaged that day and therefore place additional demands.

Alfred

HansBolter -> RE: AIRFRAME FATIGUE (1/13/2015 6:44:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Brennan UK

When you guys refer to enough support I'm presuming you mean 1 support/plane .. What i have found to drastically reduce ops losses and airframe fatigue is 1 support/engine . IE 4 support for a B29 ., 2 for a C-47 etc. This is ofc modified by the service rating, but do try huge AV levels e.g 600+/size 9 base and I hope you'll find they fly a lot more often and more safely.

This is anecdotal but over 2-3 full PBEM games its becoming obvious to me more AV is never 'wasted'.

TTFN

+1....I haven't taken a scientific approach to quantifying it, but my experience bears this out as well.

Port Morseby, level 9 airfield with 338 planes and 700+ AV has 300 ready planes and 38 in repair/maintenance with every squadron, but two running daily ops.

Extra AV support and aircraft maintenance engineers never seems to be wasted.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI