WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support

santino250 -> WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/10/2015 2:42:04 AM)

HI All

I have been trying to get my game installed in a new computer, with little luck... I have a GTX970M video card, on a 17.3" laptop Monitor..
I put the switch's in where is solves the LAG, but the font size is way to small. I still have like 1" on each side of the window... but font is still too small..
-w -px1680 -py1050 -dd_sw -multiaudio -skipVideo -archive -cpu4 -deepColor
This is the switches>>

Help PLease!!! GOD WHAT MONKEYS CREATED WIN 8.1???

WHere can I get a list of switches and there meanings??

Alfred -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/10/2015 2:45:01 AM)

The switches are all in the patch notes.

Several threads deal with this on a regular basis.  Rainer's is probably the most comprehensive.

Alfred

geofflambert -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/10/2015 2:50:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: santino250

HI All

I have been trying to get my game installed in a new computer, with little luck... I have a GTX970M video card, on a 17.3" laptop Monitor..
I put the switch's in where is solves the LAG, but the font size is way to small. I still have like 1" on each side of the window... but font is still too small..
-w -px1680 -py1050 -dd_sw -multiaudio -skipVideo -archive -cpu4 -deepColor
This is the switches>>

Help PLease!!! GOD WHAT MONKEYS CREATED WIN 8.1???

WHere can I get a list of switches and there meanings??

They are apes, not monkeys. Haven't you been paying attention? There have been several documentaries about this recently. Some beatnik named Charleton Heston was in a couple, I believe.

Alfred -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/10/2015 2:57:36 AM)

This is the Rainer thread I referred to in the above post.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3603382&mpage=1&key=deepcolor&#3604122

There are several other Rainer threads which deal with hardware issues.

Alfred

wdolson -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/10/2015 3:17:18 AM)

From what little I've used it, Windows 8 is a pain. I've recently gotten two computers that came with 8.1 on them and immediately downgraded to Windows 7.

Bill

EHansen -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/10/2015 4:02:11 AM)

And the irony is the first computer I ended up with Windows 7 was immediately downgraded to XP. [:)]

VPaulus -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/10/2015 3:57:43 PM)

Actually Windows 8 (or 8.1) is not as bad. There are some advantages, namely, it seems to be quicker.
The most annoying thing is the metro interface. But if you install (it costs $5) Start8, most of the issues just disappear.
Windows boots always to desktop, and basically it's just like using an updated Windows 7. :)

Qwixt -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/10/2015 4:30:16 PM)

I don't think it's win 8 problem. The game is poorly coded to support modern PCs. I bought it over this past sale and spent a couple of hours trying to get it to look right. The one issue I had was that I wanted to play a smaller scenario, but my screen size was too wide to support it, so I had to decrease the screen size to a smaller widescreen res. Overall, it was a disappointing first impression for a game released in 2009.

Here is what I went with:

-fd -pxf1440 -pyf900 -cpu3 -multiaudio -skipVideo -deepColor -altFont

Many of these options are documented in the readme.rtf file in the game directory.

-fd = fullscreen daily saves

-pxf and -pyf are fullscreen resolution size

-cpu# cpu affinity flag (in mine I am using 2 or 3 CPUs, not sure how the application treats the #)

-multiaudio = Fix for multicore audio

-deepColor = use 32 bit color

-altFont = Use Lucia Sans Unicode font

Tejszd -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/10/2015 5:46:20 PM)

For new players it would be nice if those startup parameters could be set via a screen with tool tips on when to enable them.

The game would also benefit from having a zoomed in view (WiTE has 5 levels) which would allow for larger buttons/icons that display more information and are more readable. In small scenario you could play the whole game at the zoomed in view to use all the screen resolution without having to change the game startup options.....

wdolson -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/10/2015 10:43:37 PM)

Just FYI, the game engine dates back to Uncommon Valor which came out in 2002.

There are some features that would be nice, but there wasn't time to include them.

Bill

witpqs -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/11/2015 12:40:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

There are some features that would be nice, but there wasn't time to include them.

Bill

Honestly, Bill, it looks a whole like what I purchased in the early 90's, I think titled Pacific War or something close. Maybe just the UI style and not much of the guts, dunno the details.

Tejszd -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/11/2015 7:09:25 AM)

quote:

Bill

Matrix sale price this Christmas, and I won't even mention the regular price, is the same as many new games in 2014/2015. Thus I don't know if it unreasonable for new buyers to have an expectation for features to have been added to the 2002 engine to bring it closer/more in line with what is standard today?

Having said that I knew what I was getting buying this game, some others may not, so I do not expect an update. But that won't stop me from asking/hoping for changes as I like the game and hope Matrix reinvests some of the money it is continuing to get back into the game....

witpqs -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/11/2015 2:59:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tejszd

quote:

Bill

Matrix sale price this Christmas, and I won't even mention the regular price, is the same as many new games in 2014/2015. Thus I don't know if it unreasonable for new buyers to have an expectation for features to have been added to the 2002 engine to bring it closer/more in line with what is standard today?

Having said that I knew what I was getting buying this game, some others may not, so I do not expect an update. But that won't stop me from asking/hoping for changes as I like the game and hope Matrix reinvests some of the money it is continuing to get back into the game....

I understand what you are saying, but the fact is that features have been added right up through 2014. A total modernization of some aspects of the code would be a very major undertaking. It would have taken far effort more than the introduction of AE did, even if it were done with none of the AE features being added. We players continue to have interest in that, but it hard to say if or when it would make financial sense to a game developer.

Rising-Sun -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/24/2015 3:51:15 PM)

I was wondering the same thing, I just upgraded my pc last Fall to Wins 8.1 64, use to have Vista 64bit. For some reasons I click on aircraft factory it take five seconds to load. I tried all those switch and didn't improve anything :( I didn't have any problems on Vista, there no need to stick with Vista, wont be around for long though.

I manage to fix my issue, least no lag during scrolling and when I click on aircraft factory. So all I had to do is add this switch -deepColor, guess have something to do with new/mid video cards. Been using GTX GeForce 660 here.

Tejszd -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/24/2015 4:30:44 PM)

Wonder of anyone from Matrix and or the developers are testing the game on Windows 10?

Microsoft is pushing it hard as they announced users of Win7 and Win8 can upgrade for free in the 1st year of Win10 release.

operating -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (1/24/2015 4:53:00 PM)

My Dell XPS is down loaded with 8.1, 22" screen, have had no problems what-so-ever, most played CTGW, Empire, EAW and Napoleon to date.

sandlance -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (2/8/2015 4:53:28 PM)

Ok guys I've gone thru the Full Screen thresd and my problem isn't full screen. Both of my Comps. have the same Map dimensions 17 X 24. Speed is very slow(as reported by many others). I removered the -wd switch as I have a desktop not laptop. I played with it and found that when the screen goes back to desktop(either manual or screen save) when I return to the game the speed is fixed and very fast. Now the problem is all aux printing Top of screen and all info screens is now light green and cut off. this makes it unreadable. Switches I am currently using are -Altfont -archive -deepcolor -SingleCpuOrders. I'm using a i3-4160 cpu@3.6GHZ.

S.Nelson

witpqs -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (2/8/2015 5:19:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sandlance

Ok guys I've gone thru the Full Screen thresd and my problem isn't full screen. Both of my Comps. have the same Map dimensions 17 X 24. Speed is very slow(as reported by many others). I removered the -wd switch as I have a desktop not laptop. I played with it and found that when the screen goes back to desktop(either manual or screen save) when I return to the game the speed is fixed and very fast. Now the problem is all aux printing Top of screen and all info screens is now light green and cut off. this makes it unreadable. Switches I am currently using are -Altfont -archive -deepcolor -SingleCpuOrders. I'm using a i3-4160 cpu@3.6GHZ.

S.Nelson

Apologies if you saw this advice before: spelling is critical for the switches. Are you using "-deepcolor" or "-deepColor" (capital 'C')?

sandlance -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (2/8/2015 11:57:16 PM)

witpqs; I'm using deepColor with a Cap "C". Let me guess it should all be lower case.

witpqs -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (2/9/2015 12:01:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sandlance

witpqs; I'm using deepColor with a Cap "C". Let me guess it should all be lower case.

No! You had typed it with lower, which is wrong. -deepColor is correct. AFAIK there is no warning when you get a switch wrong, it just doesn't work, so it was worth mentioning when I saw how you had spelled it.

sandlance -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (2/9/2015 12:08:03 AM)

Ok on a hunch I changed the switch from -deepColor to -deepcolor, there was no change.

S.Nelson

sandlance -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (2/9/2015 12:09:12 AM)

I've changed it back.

Reg -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (2/9/2015 5:52:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

Actually Windows 8 (or 8.1) is not as bad. There are some advantages, namely, it seems to be quicker.
The most annoying thing is the metro interface. But if you install (it costs $5) Start8, most of the issues just disappear.
Windows boots always to desktop, and basically it's just like using an updated Windows 7. :)

Despite everyone else's problems and my own trepidations I have found the transition to Win8.1 from XP relatively painless with few residual problems on a HP laptop 7 years old. The 32bit version runs very happily and smoothly on my old hardware (which can't take advantage of the larger 64bit memory limits). The biggest issue I found was the amount of internet downloads/updates required (in excess of 1GB) and getting drivers for hardware that pre-dates Vista (XP drivers don't work). The breakthrough for me was upgrading the hard drive from (a very full) 60GB to a 500GB drive (for under $50) with plenty of room and a clean install.

I downloaded a free program called Classic Shell (www.classicshell.net) which reinstates a Windows 7 type menu system (configurable to whatever you like). After installing a few proper programs like Foxit PDF Reader, I have not seen that ridiculous metro screen or run one of those half functional cut down apps for a very long time. The only time I see anything metro now is when I have to deal with system functions. However, all the familiar full function old Windows 7 control panel screens are still there, you just have to go digging until you find them which is often easier said than done. (Edit: Classic Shell points you straight to them... [:)])

I don't think that you should be too quick to write 8.1 off as it has a lot more builtin error recovery capability under the hood than earlier versions and has gotten me out of trouble a few times (mainly due to flakey drivers) and you can get your menu bar functionality back by the use of 3rd party software. There are even advantages such as being able to make an external monitor the primary display so I can now play WITP on my 24" screen instead of the laptop display. [:)]

I think they made a big mistake going metro and forcing it on everyone.....

Once you have the command line switches set up, I believe WITP-AE runs just as well on this OS platform as any other. Keep persevering.....

[image]http://www.classicshell.net/images/startmenu3.png[/image]
Classic Shell Menu (Win7 style)

witpqs -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (2/9/2015 6:48:23 AM)

I agree, and I've been wondering why he is seeing what he is seeing. Maybe in addition to using the switch settings described, try also explicitly setting the resolution?

Just for completeness, this the is full complement of switch settings that I use on a Windows 8.1 laptop (worked on Windows 8 also):

-altFont -archive -wd -deepColor -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire -SingleCpuOrders -cpu3

Reg -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (2/9/2015 7:21:45 AM)

These are my Full Screen and Windowed switch settings (both work). I have other shortcuts set to different resolutions in my menu bar as well.

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -f -px1280 -py800 -cpu2 -skipVideo -deepColor -altFont -dd_def

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w -px1280 -py800 -cpu2 -skipVideo -deepColor -altFont -dd_def

Compatibility mode is not needed.

Reg -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (2/9/2015 7:43:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: EHansen

And the irony is the first computer I ended up with Windows 7 was immediately downgraded to XP. [:)]

On a strict satisfaction basis I still miss my XP/Office 2007 machine at work. [:(]

Win7/Office 2010 might be more powerful under the hood but it hasn't got any extra functionality (that I use) and everything is now moved around or hidden so it takes me twice as long to do things than it used to..... (I know it does this but where is that @$%%!# button now!!!)

[;)]

USSAmerica -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (2/11/2015 12:21:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

Despite everyone else's problems and my own trepidations I have found the transition to Win8.1 from XP relatively painless with few residual problems on a HP laptop 7 years old. The 32bit version runs very happily and smoothly on my old hardware (which can't take advantage of the larger 64bit memory limits). The biggest issue I found was the amount of internet downloads/updates required (in excess of 1GB) and getting drivers for hardware that pre-dates Vista (XP drivers don't work). The breakthrough for me was upgrading the hard drive from (a very full) 60GB to a 500GB drive (for under $50) with plenty of room and a clean install.

I downloaded a free program called Classic Shell (www.classicshell.net) which reinstates a Windows 7 type menu system (configurable to whatever you like). After installing a few proper programs like Foxit PDF Reader, I have not seen that ridiculous metro screen or run one of those half functional cut down apps for a very long time. The only time I see anything metro now is when I have to deal with system functions. However, all the familiar full function old Windows 7 control panel screens are still there, you just have to go digging until you find them which is often easier said than done. (Edit: Classic Shell points you straight to them... [:)])

I don't think that you should be too quick to write 8.1 off as it has a lot more builtin error recovery capability under the hood than earlier versions and has gotten me out of trouble a few times (mainly due to flakey drivers) and you can get your menu bar functionality back by the use of 3rd party software. There are even advantages such as being able to make an external monitor the primary display so I can now play WITP on my 24" screen instead of the laptop display. [:)]

I think they made a big mistake going metro and forcing it on everyone.....

Once you have the command line switches set up, I believe WITP-AE runs just as well on this OS platform as any other. Keep persevering.....

[image]http://www.classicshell.net/images/startmenu3.png[/image]
Classic Shell Menu (Win7 style)

Reg, I just wanted to post and tell you that you may have saved my marriage!!! [:D]

The problem is that I bought my wife a new laptop with that "%$#&^$#$#!! Windows 8 on it!" My wife has been ready to shove the laptop.... well, let's just say it would be most uncomfortable for me. [;)] She is not a big technology fan and HATES having to learn new technology when she has finally figured out how to do something. Your post about Classic Shell let me to install it on her laptop and it is genius! I think our marriage may make it until our 10th anniversary in May now. [8D]

Thanks, buddy, and if you ever make it to this part of the world, you are not allowed to buy any beer! [sm=00000436.gif]

Jimapp -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (4/9/2015 9:38:46 PM)

I cannot help but chuckle at this thread about 8.1 and decided I probably should share this little known feature I am surprised so many did not already know - right click your task bar and select properties and choose the navigation tab.
The real meat, however, is in the “Start screen” options. “When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start” is the option we’ve all been clamoring for: the ability to boot straight to the desktop. Check it now!

Im a noob with witpAE so trust me I will be here looking for answers soon enough.

[image]local://upfiles/46304/C068DD17B9DF48D18C0BEA6DA7FCAF0A.jpg[/image]

Chris21wen -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (4/9/2015 10:00:54 PM)

I've no idea if this is true but it fits Microsoft.

'We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganised. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising, and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion or progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralisation.

Caius Petronius AD65'

wdolson -> RE: WINDOWS 8.1 NIGHTMARES!! (4/9/2015 10:39:40 PM)

For many years Microsoft had green programmers writing most of the complex code. Some of these guys were brilliant, but young, brilliant programmers tend to be very poor at documenting their work. When it came time to update that code, it turned out to be impossible because the next generation of programmers couldn't figure out what the last guy did.

There were rumors in the 1990s that MS had set out to rewrite Word from the ground up, but they got in there and found big sections of code that were so complex nobody could figure out how they worked, so they just left them alone.

There were similar stories about Windows. The made an attempt to rewrite Windows in C++, but there were sections of it nobody could figure out.

The 20 something programmers could live at work and few had relationships. Older programmers who know what to do not to get burned down the line usually have lives and families. For a long time MS resisted hiring those guys and there were some lawsuits about it. They finally gave in and hired older people which has stabilized their products somewhat, but the old junk is still in there.

Many of their recent problems have been from bad marketing rather than bad code. Both Apple and MS have tried to steer their desktop OS's towards the same interface with their mobile OS's. The problem is that a touchscreen is a different interface with different issues from a mouse. A large number of Mac users don't like Yoseite, which is Apple's first attempt to merge MacOS and iOS. My SO is a die hard Apple fan and even she hates Yosemite.

MS is in more dire straights than Apple and is pushing the merge even harder. The market share for desktop/laptop OSs is shrinking, though it will remain for the business world. Consumers are going towards portable devices more and more. Apple is the biggest single player in the portable market and Microsoft's share is tiny. They still dominate the desktop/laptop OS market.

Microsoft will probably see their share of the overall computing market shrink, but they will probably continue to dominate the desktop/laptop market. I think their play should be superior interoperability between Windows on desktop/laptop machines and portable devices. It's one area where Apple is just plain horrible and show few signs of changing.

Bill

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI