RE: Historical novel needed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

warspite1 -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/21/2015 6:09:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

Didn't they just terminate the best part of the Mail??.....namely the T&A page
warspite1

[&:] That's the Sun

RogerJNeilson -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/21/2015 6:11:39 PM)

Yes the Mail still has some very questionable views of very young women......

Roger

warspite1 -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/21/2015 6:38:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Yes the Mail still has some very questionable views of very young women......

Roger
warspite1

All papers have questionable views - if you hold different ones, although I must confess I have no idea what the statement above refers to......

But you have your view of the Mail and that's fair enough - and accordingly I never questioned your earlier post.

What I did question was the moronic statement that followed it (not yours), that the Daily Mail, in content, could be held on a par with the National Enquirer.

Symon -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/21/2015 8:31:50 PM)

Speaking of morons, I always thought the British would be able to understand English. I quote “Some of us on this side of the pond recognize it is in the same genre as our Enquirer” (emphasis added for the terminally obtuse). If you parse this slowly and carefully, and maybe get some help from your private school English teacher, you might get the gist of it.

Some of us colonials are able to make ourselves understood very well in English. But thank you for your concern.

warspite1 -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/21/2015 8:36:42 PM)

Oh dear…..

Sadly for you I DO understand English – and certainly did not get that from a private education – so you can forget that inverted snobbery rubbish.

If you say something, kindly have the balls to stand behind the statement – or not (if you change your mind) – but not some mealy mouthed offering. Here is the proper quote – all of it (and not just the bit you chose to show):

“Oh, gosh, sorry Roger. Wasn’t trying to push the Mail. Some of us on this side of the pond recognize it is in the same genre as our Enquirer”.

Therefore YOU put the Daily Mail in the same genre as the National Enquirer. You were not “pushing” the Mail because you think the content is similar to the National Enquirer. They are not remotely similar – although are both printed on paper so I will give you that.

You may not like the paper – and that is fine – I personally do not like the Daily Mirror, but I would never put it in the same category as something it is not just for the sake of an argument.

Terminally obtuse? Well that beats 12-year old, smelly, acne ridden Euro-Nazi. Your vocab is expanding. Well done.

RogerJNeilson -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/21/2015 9:24:36 PM)

Benefit of hindsight I should never have started this part of the conversation...

Lets just all go back to the game shall we?

Roger

warspite1 -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/21/2015 9:26:11 PM)

quote:

Benefit of hindsight I should never have started this part of the conversation...

Lets just all go back to the game shall we?

Roger
warspite1

Good call [;)]

US87891 -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/21/2015 9:26:30 PM)

You started it with your stupid moron comment. Please shut up and let this thread go where it wants to go.

I love the Flashman series. It's way out there, but reading it gives you a good sense of what the Victorian world was like - with some severe editing, of course - in its postures and characters.

I agree with Symon. You need to know where the the author was coming from to understand the outrageousness. I use Flashman in my classes. He's a paradigm that may, or may not, be appropriate. I have tenure, so I don't give a damn. And besides, I teach classes in the military arts and sciences, so there's not many students that would object, in any case.

Matt Norton

warspite1 -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/21/2015 9:35:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: US87891

You started it with your stupid moron comment. Please shut up and let this thread go where it wants to go.

I love the Flashman series. It's way out there, but reading it gives you a good sense of what the Victorian world was like - with some severe editing, of course - in its postures and characters.

I agree with Symon. You need to know where the the author was coming from to understand the outrageousness. I use Flashman in my classes. He's a paradigm that may, or may not, be appropriate. I have tenure, so I don't give a damn. And besides, I teach classes in the military arts and sciences, so there's not many students that would object, in any case.

Matt Norton
warspite1

"You started it"

How old are you?

Numdydar -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/21/2015 9:52:56 PM)

I love this forum and you guys [:D]

warspite1 -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/21/2015 9:55:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

I love this forum and you guys [:D]
warspite1

Shucks - I love you too Numdydar [sm=00001746.gif]

[:)]

warspite1 -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/21/2015 10:04:11 PM)

quote:

As recommended I read Harris' Enigma and while I was at it read Officer and a Spy. Neither was as good as Fatherland. Enigma was ok, while Officer and Spy was quite good. I see that many of Harris' books have been made into movies or mini-series. Specifically I wonder if anybody has watched Bletchley Park or Archangel?

For novels I will try that Downey chap next.
warspite1

Never seen Archangel - in fact I didn't even realise they had made it into a film. The rating isn't great in IMDB (so maybe it went straight to DVD) but the book is worth a read.

KMCCARTHY -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/21/2015 10:04:30 PM)

Battle Cry by Leon Uris (fiction)
http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Cry-Leon-Uris/dp/006075186X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421880788&sr=8-2&keywords=battle+cry&pebp=1421880757233&peasin=006075186X

From Here to Eternity by James Jones (fiction)
http://www.amazon.com/Here-Eternity-Restored-World-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B004UNGYK8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1421881187&sr=1-1&keywords=from+here+to+eternity&pebp=1421881197887&peasin=B004UNGYK8

Destroyermen series by taylor Anderson (scifi)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_12?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=destroyermen+series+by+taylor+anderson&rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck%3Adestroyermen+series+by+taylor+anderson

The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour by James D. Hornfischer (non Fiction)
http://www.amazon.com/Last-Stand-Tin-Sailors-Extraordinary-ebook/dp/B001L83PM0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1421881373&sr=1-1&keywords=tin+can+sailors&pebp=1421881374993&peasin=B001L83PM0

Elephant Company: The Inspiring Story of an Unlikely Hero and the Animals Who Helped Him Save Lives in World War II by Vicki Croke (non Fiction)

http://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Company-Inspiring-Unlikely-Animals/dp/1400069335/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421880837&sr=1-1&keywords=elephant+company&pebp=1421880803509&peasin=1400069335

pontiouspilot -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/22/2015 2:56:50 PM)

good list....I have read most of Mccarthy's suggestions over the years but will look for the last one.

pontiouspilot -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/22/2015 2:58:07 PM)

I ordered the movie/series off Amazon so I will report back....it stars Daniel Craig so I thought I would take a chance.

warspite1 -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/22/2015 6:00:29 PM)

quote:

I ordered the movie/series off Amazon so I will report back....it stars Daniel Craig so I thought I would take a chance.
warspite1

Thank-you.

desicat -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/24/2015 3:20:02 AM)

This is the 2nd historical book request thread that doesn't mention Shares Rifles - how is that possible? Around 20 books in the series and almost all of them are based upon historical actions.

pontiouspilot -> RE: Historical novel needed (1/29/2015 3:02:13 PM)

Downey book 1 done. It is a good read. Thanks to all here who recommended. Very similar style and era to Furst. I'm not sure you could pick which author was which out of a line-up! 1 down and half a dozen to go.

pontiouspilot -> RE: Historical novel needed (2/2/2015 4:46:16 AM)

As promised I hereby report back on movie Archangel (Harris' book). It stars Daniel Craig. It is fairly faithful to the book and generally fairly well done. The most interesting aspect is its commentary on the Russian psyche...in particular their love for the strongman. It is frankly more interesting given the events of the last several years than even when the book and movie were done.

ndworl -> RE: Historical novel needed (2/2/2015 11:05:34 AM)

I agree Sharpe should get a run. Just finished the series over my summer holidays, after a gap of about 5 years and enjoyed it immensely. (It goes pretty fast if you skim through the formulaic battle scenes - which are not the strength of the series.) For me, Flashman sets the benchmark for historical perspective combined with humour. I love the last glimpse of Flashman in the novel "Mr American", as an irascible 90 year old, abusing his cab driver as he tries to negotiate the throngs around Buckingham Palace at the outbreak of WWI, giving the main character a lesson in diplomacy and realpolitik and then demanding he be admitted to the palace to use the toilets. Priceless.

blueatoll -> RE: Historical novel needed (2/2/2015 3:15:08 PM)

I loved all the Alan Furst novels except the last two. I thought those were retilling overused soil.

These two books are non-fiction but are written as travelogues rather than dry facts. I found both books to be entirely engaging and made me look at the time periods discussed in a completely different light. You almost feel you are there.

Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England
Time Traveler's Guide to Elizabethan England

Jellicoe -> RE: Historical novel needed (2/2/2015 5:16:32 PM)

Everyone loves Flashy (and rightly so) from dear old George Macdonald Fraser but fewer have read than ought to be the case his semi autobiographical 'McAuslan' series about the dirtiest soldier in the Britsh army. Set just after WWII loosely based on the authors time in the Gordon Highlanders. Well worth a read.

Also recently reread and had forgotten how fabulous it was 'Rules of the Game' by Andrew Gordon. A study of command and control and signalling at Jutland that manages to take in a history of signalling, free masonry and royal influence in the late Victorian navy as well as a biography of Evan Thomas, a rehabilitation of Tryon and a slating of Beatty. Worth it for the caption under a picture of Beatty 'something of the Bounder about him'

KMCCARTHY -> RE: Historical novel needed (2/3/2015 10:35:35 PM)

I hadn't thought about Flashman for 25 years. I know what I'm giving myself for Christmas.

Thanks.

KMCCARTHY -> RE: Historical novel needed (2/3/2015 10:37:03 PM)

You'll like Elephant Co. if you like animals and obscure history.

pontiouspilot -> RE: Historical novel needed (3/9/2015 3:15:51 AM)

Well, I have finished Downing's novels. I didn't read the sci-fi nor the 22 days to a Cleaner Colon. The recommendation was appreciated. I am now thinking about Micheal Dobbs books. I see Warspite suggested one of his. Does anybody else have any comments on his stuff. He is evidently the original author of House of Cards.

RogerJNeilson -> RE: Historical novel needed (3/9/2015 6:18:02 AM)

Dobbs is good, just bear in mind two things. Its very rooted in British politics so you may be on a learning curve - it was not written for an international audience. He is a very strong supporter of one particular party over here so the novels may have a slant to them.

Glad you enjoyed the 'Station' novels

Roger

warspite1 -> RE: Historical novel needed (3/9/2015 7:22:36 AM)

Not sure what relevance the political comment has on his historical novels. I have only read Churchill's Triumph (and which I thoroughly recommend) which is set around the Yalta Conference in 1945 and was just that, a novel set against an historical event. I do not think admiration for Winston is set aside for Conservatives only - wasn't it Mo Mowlam (Labour MP) that put Sir Winston forward for the "Greatest Briton" a few years back?

RogerJNeilson -> RE: Historical novel needed (3/9/2015 7:27:46 AM)

Not grinding any axes, merely adding a touch of context for anyone not from the UK.

Roger

warspite1 -> RE: Historical novel needed (3/9/2015 7:34:46 AM)

quote:

Not grinding any axes, merely adding a touch of context for anyone not from the UK.

Roger
warspite1

Sure, and I was just confirming that there is no political bias in Churchill's Triumph. Can't speak for the author's political works (e.g. House of Cards) - as I have never read them - but then the OP is only after historical novels.

rustysi -> RE: Historical novel needed (3/9/2015 9:55:57 PM)

quote:

Sure, and I was just confirming that there is no political bias in Churchill's Triumph. Can't speak for the author's political works (e.g. House of Cards) - as I have never read them - but then the OP is only after historical novels.

Didn't Churchhill say something along the lines of, 'People will know the history, for I shall write it'. Anyway I've read his six volume history, didn't think it too biased. Then again I admired Churchill, even with his flaws.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI