RE: Historical novel needed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Leandros -> RE: Historical novel needed (3/10/2015 2:19:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ralzakark

Patrick O'Brians's naval fiction, starting with Master and Commander. It has an excellent feeling of period, fascinating characters and plenty of action.

Did anyone mention George MacDonald Fraser?

Wholly behind that - the Master and Commander series. After reading his first book I had to have them all. Believe I bought, and read, all within a three-month period. Can't wait to see another
movie with Russell Crowe.

Fred

Leandros -> RE: Historical novel needed (3/10/2015 3:12:48 PM)

Norman Mailer: The Naked and the Dead. Should be ideal for the clientele here. I read it when I was about 15. A few years later I had this Deja Vu experience -
it was during the last days of my first stint in the army. We had just been chased out of a quite leisurely established squad position on a steep hillside by
some fiery Samis of the local National (Home) Guard. This exercise was on a large island outside the North Norwegian coast. Yes, the summers can be intensely
hot there and these islands have a very special vegetation and terrain. The Samis put their honor in chasing us army southerners out of their homeland (yes, there
were reindeers, too). Our position was much too close to the densely foliaged forest in front of us so, as the "enemy" bursted forth between the trees, we only
barely managed to disassemble our 1919 Browning machine guns for carrying, throw them up on the shoulders and sprint up the hill, stopping every couple of hundred
meters to let off a few blanks to keep them off. Soon we had lost them.

Well, this wasn't what generated the Deja Vu, that was a little later when we passed down the other side of the little mountain and came down in a valley with a
narrow, snaking creek in the bottom. We were trying to catch up with the rest of the platoon and walked silently in single file. It was hot, the valley sides were
green and not a sound to hear but the creaking sounds of our equipment dangling about and the shifting of the machine guns or tripods from shoulder to shoulder.
(Later, when we served an OP on a hilltop, we were blasted by a Norwegian F-104 playing ground-attack - that was not silent). Maybe it wasn't that strange, a feeble,
young mind, only a few years after I had read this book which made a deep impression on me. We were carrying US uniforms and equipment,
Garands, BAR's, Browning machine guns. We were RED and his soldier mates walking through that valley on Guadalcanal. Or was it Okinawa?

In my later years I've been thinking: What in the world was that book doing in my grandmother's bookshelf?

Fred

P. S.: Nobody's mentioned James Bond. That's a sort of war, too....or his brother, Peter. Wrote some books.

pontiouspilot -> RE: Historical novel needed (3/10/2015 4:21:03 PM)

Thanks...I love House of Cards so I will dive into the trilogy! In terms of getting Brit politics...my God man we have a Parliamentary system too...thank heavens! We are not an ethno-centric bunch nor are we very politically self-absorbed so we follow international politics fairly closely. Our main stream news is much more like the BBC than any of the US offerings...mercifully.

geofflambert -> RE: Historical novel needed (3/10/2015 6:57:34 PM)

I'm reading A Distant Mirror by Barbara Tuchman (The Guns of August author)and as you would expect from her it is excellent. It's about the 14th Century in Europe. Here are other titles of her works.

Bible and Sword
The Zimmerman Telegram
The Proud Tower
Stilwell and the American experience in China
Notes from China
Practicing History
The March of Folly
The First Salute

I'm going to have to read all those.

geofflambert -> RE: Historical novel needed (3/10/2015 7:54:46 PM)

Here's one a couple of friends have read and recommend highly. The author was Nappy's personal aide during the war in Russia.

[image]local://upfiles/37002/44C95BC5AD594DE0B4718A517024F535.jpg[/image]

ndworl -> RE: Historical novel needed (3/12/2015 12:59:29 PM)

Of course I loved Flashman and the Aubury Maturin series. I do like Sharpe. I find myself fast forwarding through the battle scenes but the tales are worth a read in themselves.

pontiouspilot -> RE: Historical novel needed (3/15/2015 11:54:38 PM)

Some excellent reads still on my bookcase: Brian Callison...many excellent naval setting novels, Nicolas Monsarrat even though he has been dead for 35 years (Cruel Sea, Kapillian of Malta), the whole series of Doug Reeman's books. The latter tend to be a little predictable but you still can't put them down.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI