RE: Desert War 1940-3 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

zakblood -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/5/2015 5:08:48 PM)

any news on when the revamp will be out/done?

great game btw

Saint Ruth -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/6/2015 4:07:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

great game btw

The proper AI for the other scenarios you mean? It'll be a while as I'm only doing this in my spare time!
Unfortunately!

zakblood -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/6/2015 4:13:29 PM)

well good luck and yes you were correct also[;)]

Deathtreader -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/6/2015 11:16:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

great game btw

The proper AI for the other scenarios you mean? It'll be a while as I'm only doing this in my spare time!
Unfortunately!

Checked this out a little while ago and it looks/feels great!!
Reminds me a lot of the V4V and WaW games I enjoyed so much in the old days.

Maybe Matrix would like to pick this up if you and they could come to some sort of arrangement??
The number of hits should tell them (and you) that there is lots of interest in your game. [:)]

Best wishes, and I look forward to more. [&o]

Rob.

zakblood -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/7/2015 6:12:11 AM)

quote:

V4V
a blast from the past and also agree

Missouri_Rebel -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/7/2015 12:57:31 PM)

I finally got around to messing with the game a bit, but unfortunately not for very long yet.

From what Ive seen so far I'm very impressed at what you have accomplished. I look forward to seeing more.

Great job.

Saint Ruth -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/7/2015 3:33:26 PM)

Thanks for the feedback!
I've fixed a couple of bugs and put up a new version this morning.

Now to finish the Supply rules...

zakblood -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/7/2015 3:38:26 PM)

thanks going to grab it now then

baloo7777 -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/7/2015 4:29:28 PM)

Hello Saint Ruth. This thread has peaked my interest in giving Desert War 1940-3 a go. Do you post when new updates/versions are available here? Do you have a thread where questions can be posted, similar to Scherpunkt on The Wargamer (ie. WWIIE)?

baloo7777 -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/7/2015 5:16:04 PM)

Downloaded and fooled around with it for a little while. This looks and feels great! Still have to read manual. Thanks Saint Ruth, and all! Looking forward to seeing this game progress with ai. [8D]

Saint Ruth -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/7/2015 6:00:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

Hello Saint Ruth. This thread has peaked my interest in giving Desert War 1940-3 a go. Do you post when new updates/versions are available here? Do you have a thread where questions can be posted, similar to Scherpunkt on The Wargamer (ie. WWIIE)?

Hi,
Yes, there's a thread on the wargamer:
http://old.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=585142
Lots of screen shots etc on there too!

baloo7777 -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/8/2015 12:20:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

Hi,
Yes, there's a thread on the wargamer:
http://old.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=585142
Lots of screen shots etc on there too!

Thanks for the quick response! I checked out the link. Very good info!

bcgames -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/15/2015 4:21:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bcgames

If anyone wants to do a PBEM of Desert War 1940-43, send me a PM.

The Battleaxe scenario is the most mature and best maintained playtest scenario. Those new to the system who are playing a live opponent for the first time should try playing the Allies using the Battleaxe (No Operation Exporter) scenario. I'm in the process of re-writing the game manual so I am very interested in learning what your questions are about how to play the game. I'll play whichever side you prefer. I will do quick turn-arounds on turns and will play to the very end of the scenario. Let's learn from each other at your convenience. We want your input on how to make the game better.

If you have the time to spare, give it a try.

v/r

bcgames

Desert War 1940-43 version 1.2.45 is out.

Missouri_Rebel -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/15/2015 6:12:17 AM)

Thanks for the continued support.

marty01 -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/15/2015 2:33:14 PM)

It's a really fun game system. The game also has a great look. I've played the Battleaxe scenario a number of times. The WeGO system fits well with Western Desert Battles. It has a lot of subtle layers but doesn't overwhelm players with too much detail to juggle. I can typically knock-off a PBEM turn of Battleaxe in about 15 to 20minutes before heading off to work in the morning.

Thumbs-Up! & I can't wait for more scenarios.

bcgames -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/19/2015 6:37:43 AM)

If you have the time, please comment on the Desert War 1940-43 Supply System proposals at the following thread:

http://old.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=585142&pg=5#654275

Thanks for your input; it helps us make decisions about game features.

v/r

bcgames

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/20/2015 1:20:06 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

...i made that battle scene picture in the last screenshot

Indeed. An excellent, thematic work. Very nice!

[image]http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/15/feb/desert09.png[/image]

I've seen that picture before, somewhere.

kipanderson -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/31/2015 6:02:16 AM)

Hi,

Congratulations.. outstanding achievement.. !

Quick question... did speed read but must have missed it.

What is the hex scale, miles/Km across?
And the length of time one game turn represents in real time?

Thanks...
Incredibly impressive work..
All the best,
Kip.

Agathosdaimon -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (3/31/2015 11:35:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

...i made that battle scene picture in the last screenshot

Indeed. An excellent, thematic work. Very nice!

[image]http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/15/feb/desert09.png[/image]

I've seen that picture before, somewhere.

I have on my deviantart page - mitchellnolte.deviantart.com and it may have been shared from there on some other groups maybe?

Saint Ruth -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (4/1/2015 12:49:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kipanderson

What is the hex scale, miles/Km across?
And the length of time one game turn represents in real time?

Hi,
Some of the scenarios vary a bit in scale, but in general it's about 2 miles per hex.
The turn length can vary per turn too (it's settable in the Editor) but 3 turns per day for most of the scenarios (there's no Night Turn penalties yet...another thing To Do)...

kipanderson -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (4/1/2015 3:47:24 PM)

Saint Ruth,

Thanks..

Sounds very good.

All the best,
Kip.

kipanderson -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (4/1/2015 9:35:11 PM)

Hi,

Now I have had time to glance at previous posts and at the editor.. am even more impressed.

We have Command Ops.. but there has long been a market for a sensible, high quality update of the classic IGOUG; hex based operational game to WEGO. This is it.

The flexibility is remarkable. NWE, Eastern Front.. why not? :).

All the best,
Kip.

Saint Ruth -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (4/2/2015 3:21:05 PM)

I'd love to do NWE, Eastern Front all right, or even the Middle East etc.
I picked the desert war as that has smaller battles, less complex etc.
I'd like the Editor to be allow any battle in any terrain, with everything mod-able, from the graphics to scale and even down to the CRTs.

kipanderson -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (4/5/2015 8:02:45 PM)

Hi,

“I'd like the Editor to be allow any battle in any terrain, with everything mod-able, from the graphics to scale and even down to the CRTs.”

That would be fantastic.. really would.. :). Have had a good long look at the editor.. tremendous.. !!

All the best,
Kip.

kipanderson -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (4/14/2015 6:00:01 PM)

Hi,

Am hugely admiring of your efforts. But as with all fans of such games have my own wish list of features I hope for.

Would be nice to see but am simply grateful you’re developing the game at all. With or without these features. The ability to launch Saved games in the editor helps greatly in running tournaments. Cuts down the workload for empires. But adding the ability to password protect scenarios and Saved games also helps a lot.

Now the real big wish I can see is not there so must be a lot of work and time to develop is to allow Internet/LAN live play.

You will have thought about it, so if missing there will be a reason. But for me PBEM is too slow. Having tried live, human v human WEGO play in other wargames there is no going back to PBEM ;).

But.. either way, fantastic achievement and very much looking forward to seeing your game develop over time. Once again congratulations..

All the best,
Kip. .

Saint Ruth -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (4/15/2015 10:59:16 AM)

Ah, great idea about the saved games. I was actually going to remove editing saved games (as people could cheat) but checking both passwords is a far better solution.

Internet/LAN. Yeah, it's one of those things that I should've added at the start but adding it in now is more problematic. Just finishing the supply now, and then it's AI and GUI, so might look at that in the future.

If you've any other suggestions, fire ahead!
Cheers,
Brian

76mm -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (4/15/2015 12:05:18 PM)

PLEASE don't get rid of the ability to edit saved games--it is a great feature which is all too rare! I've downloaded this game but have been too busy with work to take it for a spin--Hopefully I'll have time soon!

Eambar -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (4/16/2015 8:34:56 AM)

Played the historical Battleaxe scenario hotseat from both sides...apart from obviously not understanding the supply rules (the Allies crept along at 1 hex per turn and barely made it anywhere) I found it quite an enjoyable game and well thought out. Counters are nice, and provide clear indication of the necessary information.

The desert war has always held an appeal, and apart from some Command Ops scenarios and the SSG Gazala scenario for Battlefront, there hasn't been a lot of desert war games on the market.

I'll continue to follow this one with interest.

Cheers,

Saint Ruth -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (4/16/2015 1:41:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie3

Played the historical Battleaxe scenario hotseat from both sides...apart from obviously not understanding the supply rules (the Allies crept along at 1 hex per turn and barely made it anywhere) I found it quite an enjoyable game and well thought out. Counters are nice, and provide clear indication of the necessary information.

The desert war has always held an appeal, and apart from some Command Ops scenarios and the SSG Gazala scenario for Battlefront, there hasn't been a lot of desert war games on the market.

I'll continue to follow this one with interest.

Cheers,

Cheers Doggie. If armour/recce/mech units are out of supply, they can just move 1 hex (they need to be in range of the HQ - if the cursor if over the HQ press R to see the range, and the HQ itself has its border highlighted in pink).

I'll leave in the editing saved games so. And there I was thinking that was a bug! [:)]

kipanderson -> RE: Desert War 1940-3 (4/18/2015 12:53:00 PM)

Hi,

Have been doing some more playing around with Desert War and my admiration is limitless.
Great to hear that editing Saved Games and password protection for scenario are in/staying.

One day, maybe even LAN/Internet play...

An additional suggestion is for Orders Delay. Maybe as a game option for those who wish for it.

For me a big attraction of operational games is the feeling of “running knee deep in mud...”. By which I mean that you cannot just throw around an infantry battalion the way you can shout orders at an infantry squad. You I have to try and think ahead. Orders delay also gives a realistic bonus to player who surprises his enemy. Because his enemy cannot just “perfectly..” adjust everything immediately.

Helps to give a feeling of chaos. Which much of war must surely be. The mixture of FOW and Orders Delay working hand in hand.

Of course I realise that the Game Sequence to some extent builds that in with your system. Only someone with a real grip on the system could judge. I am just tweaking scenarios and then observing how things play out.

BTW.. impressed by the CRT.. casualties don’t seem excessive for the length and intensity of the individual clashes. Don’t expect it either in Desert War given the obvious quality but we all know it’s trap operational games can fall into.

All the best,
Kip.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI