Catalina 5(A) vs. Liberator PB4Y-1 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

margeorg -> Catalina 5(A) vs. Liberator PB4Y-1 (3/5/2015 7:29:57 PM)

Hiya,

are there any objections against replacing Catalinas in VB-xxx squads equipped with Catalinas and trained for naval search for PB4Y-1 Liberators? From just comparing stats the Lib seems to be much sturdier, and also having a slightly larger range. Both a/c are equipped with ASB radar, so they should be equal in their ability to conduct naval searches.

Anything I might have overlooked?

witpqs -> RE: Catalina 5(A) vs. Liberator PB4Y-1 (3/5/2015 8:48:11 PM)

No general objections. Is PDU on or off in your game?

If PDU is on, I can't imagine why an opponent would object (but ask your opponent if you are unsure). If PDU is off, you will not be able to unless that is the upgrade path for that group.

wdolson -> RE: Catalina 5(A) vs. Liberator PB4Y-1 (3/6/2015 1:54:23 AM)

In the real war a lot of patrol units were converted to PB4Ys because they were better patrol planes under most situations.

Bill

jmalter -> RE: Catalina 5(A) vs. Liberator PB4Y-1 (3/6/2015 10:13:47 AM)

Be careful w/ the upgrades - PB4Y-1 has a 4 svc-rating, & needs to operate from an AF level 4, but PBY's have a 2 svc-rating, & can operate from minimal bases w/ support from naval auxiliaries.

Plus, the PB4Y-1 is the only true Hvy bomber that that USN gets, I'd prefer to keep them in the pools, rather than expend them. One might consider to prevent 1 of the factories that produce them from upgrading to the PB4Y-2. This late-war Privateer is a great NavS plane, but it's not really a hvy bomber, it's more the hvy search-plane that you're looking for.

I'm averse to using Liberators as replacements for Catalinas in the NavS role.

Lecivius -> RE: Catalina 5(A) vs. Liberator PB4Y-1 (3/6/2015 1:49:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

I'm averse to using Liberators as replacements for Catalinas in the NavS role.

I am too. But you never get enough Cats. I always train a couple of -24 squadrons in NavS. They cover a lot of water, and are nice from larger bases. Plus they don't get shot down anywhere near as much.

margeorg -> RE: Catalina 5(A) vs. Liberator PB4Y-1 (3/7/2015 1:13:54 PM)

Hmmm,

PDU is on, so technically I´m free to swap.

I´m in March 1943, and I have about 90 Catalinas model 5 and 5A in reserve. PB4Y-1 stocks are nearing 70. Just from the numbers I doubt that I will ever get into a shortage of Catalinas again. But as the Liberators had better endurance and better durability, I thought about them replacing the Cats.

On the other hand, the svc-rating 4 and the AF4 requirements are two serious arguments against the plan. Well, perhaps a few groups whicha re operating from large bases ...

Thanks for all replies!

Treetop64 -> RE: Catalina 5(A) vs. Liberator PB4Y-1 (3/9/2015 1:24:50 AM)

Also, Libs are high maintenance, if the frequent and lengthy maintenance down times my other AAF Liberator units in OZ and Burma are anything to go by. I put Libs only on lvl 6 or greater bases, with more than enough supplies (20k or better), support, and maintenance units on hand, yet they will still spend literally weeks in downtime for maintenance and repairs. Liberators are powerful assets but you really have to forcibly meter their use. Frankly, they annoy me more than anything else, as I often have to stand down entire bomber groups for weeks, just to make sure I have enough serviceable aircraft available for an important operation I'm planning.

I'm in March of '43, I have PDU on, and all of my Navy liberators are in the pools. I don't plan on using them. There are more than enough of the much more tolerable PBYs (and increasingly more of the Lockheed Venturas) to go around...

jmalter -> RE: Catalina 5(A) vs. Liberator PB4Y-1 (3/9/2015 2:56:42 AM)

What I found frustrating was the games insistence on having me withdraw Cat airgroups in the late-war, to the point where I feel just as starved of operating NavS groups as I did in '42! I'm down w/ using PV-1 Venturas & their late-war replacement PV-2 Harpoons when their lesser range isn't too much of a prob, but they're more suited to ASW patrol.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI