RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

Klydon -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (12/17/2015 9:24:07 PM)

I guess part of the issue is what defines a "good" AI and a "bad" AI?

All AI's are "bad" as far as some people are concerned because they supposedly can be either 'gamed' or so easily beaten or perhaps have so many obvious cheats that it makes it sort of problematic.

There are a lot of games out there that have good AI's and a lot of them go back a long way when there were far fewer resources to work with in terms of computing power, etc. According to one of my programmer friends, the biggest reason behind "bad" AI's is the programmer isn't very good at the game in question and typically doesn't have access to people who are good at it. It isn't that the programmer doesn't know how to make a good AI.

In the case of this game, the programmer that will be working on it is also a good player of the game along with having enlisted a lot of early help from the community in terms of strategy for the various positions, etc (again, see the work already done in the AI thread). In short, while the game may be very complicated from a AI standpoint of view, the game also has eliminated one of the biggest issues with AI's in that the programmer knows how to play the game well from a strategy standpoint of view and has additional help from other players who are good at the game as well to help counterbalance some of that complexity.

Will it ever happen for this game? I hope so, but I also know it is going to be a ton of work and it may never get off the ground because it doesn't make financial sense to invest into doing a AI for the game. The big thing is it was promised as something that would come along. Hopefully it will be delivered at some point along with several of the other promises made as well.

Hansstory -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (12/17/2015 11:48:46 PM)

No training, just intellect. I don't believe it can be done with this type of game where there are so many variables on top of variables which are subject to other variables. Which in turn are subject to grand strategy of your power which may have to change based on grand strategy of an enemy power. Will the computer "look" at the builds of an enemy power and "see" what he is doing and "analyze" what to do in response? For instance. Even that basic aspect probably won't be covered. I have looked at some of the AI threads and they are neat and all, but they can't make an AI reason. I agree a bad AI can be developed. An OK AI probably can't be developed. A good AI can't be developed. I wish it could.

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (12/18/2015 9:59:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hansstory

No training, just intellect. I don't believe it can be done with this type of game where there are so many variables on top of variables which are subject to other variables. Which in turn are subject to grand strategy of your power which may have to change based on grand strategy of an enemy power. Will the computer "look" at the builds of an enemy power and "see" what he is doing and "analyze" what to do in response? For instance. Even that basic aspect probably won't be covered. I have looked at some of the AI threads and they are neat and all, but they can't make an AI reason. I agree a bad AI can be developed. An OK AI probably can't be developed. A good AI can't be developed. I wish it could.

quote:

I agree with you but how will we know one way or the other if it has not even been attempted yet, at least to my knowledge it has not been.

Bo

Matrix Games Forums

Forums Register Login Photo Gallery Member List Search Calendars FAQ

sillyflower -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (12/20/2015 9:37:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

There are plenty of ways to play this MP right now. I'm done it, others are doing it. And with more than two people [X(] . Today.

It does not even take much effort to do either. So I do not see why this is still something everyone sees as a problem. Just because NetPlay is not finished? IMHO the 'workarounds' for NetPlay are better than NetPlay. So I do not care if NetPlay is ever finished [:)]

But hey, that is just me [;)]

I thought netplay required opponent(s) to be online at the same time.

That is not what I call playable because it is not playable for me IRL: though I do accept that it works for others.

Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI