RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

warspite1 -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/22/2015 8:28:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

Wow warspite if I thought you were going to use military time I would have been more careful [;)] It is 16:40 here in Philly and I thought we were five hours difference, my bad, Hmmm I think the British empire has shrunk a little since the days of Horatio Nelson, could be wrong though. [:@] Hate to be wrong! [:(]
warspite1

Yep - it's understandably shrunk quite a bit since then [;)] but with it so has our once great Royal Navy [:(] Now the latter is truly sad, sad, sad.... [:(][:(][:@][:@]

AxelNL -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/22/2015 10:12:27 PM)

More quotes from Terry:

- Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

- In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

- He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting 'All the Gods are bastards.'

- Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out til too late that he's been playing with two queens all along.

- The most watched programme on the BBC, after the news, is probably 'Doctor Who.' What has happened is that science fiction has been subsumed into modern literature. There are grandparents out there who speak Klingon, who are quite capable of holding down a job. No one would think twice now about a parallel universe.

- I think perhaps the most important problem is that we are trying to understand the fundamental workings of the universe via a language devised for telling one another when the best fruit is.

jc4751 -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/24/2015 3:04:00 PM)

Well, so I finally took the plunge and picked up MWiF, now that Uncle Sugar let me have my own money back.

First impressions -- the UI reminds me a lot of Model T Ford. There are some nice touches, but it's not the easiest thing to navigate. On the other hand, the game looks nice, especially the map and counters.

That said, I loaded up Barbarossa without reading the rules, and got right into the game. It took about ten minutes of fiddling around with the setup, getting the hang of it and learning how it works, and maybe another ten minutes of trying to figure out what I was doing, then I was off and rolling. Chose a land phase for Germany and played through it, and it dawned on me that I was actually having quite a bit of fun with this game already. Very easy to jump into, and a ton of information is readily available. The gameplay is actually pretty intuitive, once you get into it. Anyone who's been wargaming a while isn't going to have major problems with this one, by any means.

Can't wait until I have the time to get through the rest of the scenario. Very glad I decided to pick this one up...

warspite1 -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/24/2015 3:09:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jc4751

Well, so I finally took the plunge and picked up MWiF, now that Uncle Sugar let me have my own money back.

First impressions -- the UI reminds me a lot of Model T Ford. There are some nice touches, but it's not the easiest thing to navigate. On the other hand, the game looks nice, especially the map and counters.

That said, I loaded up Barbarossa without reading the rules, and got right into the game. It took about ten minutes of fiddling around with the setup, getting the hang of it and learning how it works, and maybe another ten minutes of trying to figure out what I was doing, then I was off and rolling. Chose a land phase for Germany and played through it, and it dawned on me that I was actually having quite a bit of fun with this game already. Very easy to jump into, and a ton of information is readily available. The gameplay is actually pretty intuitive, once you get into it. Anyone who's been wargaming a while isn't going to have major problems with this one, by any means.

Can't wait until I have the time to get through the rest of the scenario. Very glad I decided to pick this one up...
warspite1

Well I am really pleased with the positive feedback for the game, although must confess am very surprised at the thought that this game is "pretty intuitive". There are many features of WIF that are far from intuitive - even for long time wargamers - and doubly so for computer wargamers. Maybe its because you are looking at Barbarossa at this stage?

Whatever the reason, I am glad to see you are having fun, for (M)WIF is truly great fun.

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/24/2015 8:42:19 PM)

quote:

Glad you like the game jc4751, but this is for sad posting only[:-] cant you read sad sad sad, you are not allowed to enjoy the game on this post[:D]

Bo

jc4751 -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/25/2015 12:22:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Well I am really pleased with the positive feedback for the game, although must confess am very surprised at the thought that this game is "pretty intuitive". There are many features of WIF that are far from intuitive - even for long time wargamers - and doubly so for computer wargamers. Maybe its because you are looking at Barbarossa at this stage?

Whatever the reason, I am glad to see you are having fun, for (M)WIF is truly great fun.

Well, to clarify, it's not hard to get up and running...playing competitively might be a different matter. ;)

jc4751 -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/25/2015 12:23:31 AM)

quote:

Glad you like the game jc4751, but this is for sad posting only[:-] cant you read sad sad sad, you are not allowed to enjoy the game on this post[:D]

Bo

Haha, I'll look appropriately sad once I figure out all the stuff I'm doing wrong...

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/25/2015 2:19:25 AM)

quote:

quote:

Bo

Haha, I'll look appropriately sad once I figure out all the stuff I'm doing wrong...

You will John, if a newbie like me can play the game a WIF pro should have no problem, it is a brilliant game JC, I just feel it is the toughest board game to program bar none. Always remember you must wear a sad face on this post though [:(] and if you violate that rule you will face many of these [:@]

Bo

jc4751 -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/26/2015 1:06:04 AM)

quote:

You will John, if a newbie like me can play the game a WIF pro should have no problem, it is a brilliant game JC, I just feel it is the toughest board game to program bar none. Always remember you must wear a sad face on this post though [:(] and if you violate that rule you will face many of these [:@]

Bo

Yeah, I'm fairly impressed with what Steve has done...the game I'm coding right now (on the side) isn't nearly as complex, and it's taken the better part of a year to get to an alpha. But, about WiF -- it's a blast. I'm sad that I'm apparently now addicted to it... [:(] [:(] [:(]

For all the fence sitters out there who are reading this thread -- buy it, you won't regret it.

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/26/2015 1:58:28 AM)

quote:

quote:

Bo

Yeah, I'm fairly impressed with what Steve has done...the game I'm coding right now (on the side) isn't nearly as complex, and it's taken the better part of a year to get to an alpha. But, about WiF -- it's a blast. I'm sad that I'm apparently now addicted to it... [:(] [:(] [:(]

For all the fence sitters out there who are reading this thread -- buy it, you won't regret it.

I love the game but I am sad [:(] love it, John, thanks for going along with our phobias. [:D] Enjoy the game, any questions on Guadalcanal naval engagements please let me know either on the forums or by e-mail.

Bo

Titan -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/27/2015 11:04:34 AM)

Problem and lack of interest on Forum im picking is lack of multiplayer. I for one bought this to play against some else...Cant see myself getting to far into this until multiplayer is sorted

Centuur -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/27/2015 10:37:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titan

Problem and lack of interest on Forum im picking is lack of multiplayer. I for one bought this to play against some else...Cant see myself getting to far into this until multiplayer is sorted

+1

AllenK -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/28/2015 9:59:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titan

You can play against another opponent. Have you seen the AAR on Teamviewer use or Warspite1 vs Orm and Mayhemizer vs myself E-mail play. In our case G-mail play would be more apt as it seems to transfer the files quicker than E-mail.

I'd offer you a game but the UK to NZ time difference would make it a slow one. Playing by G-mail ideally needs some time when both players are online together. That would be the same when Netplay gets going. Unlike Netplay, it doesn't tie your computer up, so while your opponent is in the Hot-seat you can be playing another game, planning and trialling your next moves or whatever else takes your fancy.

The only mild drawback, compared with Netplay, is the slight extra time lag in communicating decisions via E-mail or AAR.

juntoalmar -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/29/2015 12:53:08 AM)

Personally I have stopped visiting the forums because the IT guy from my job blocked the webpage (now I'm using a restaurant's connection). :(

Last week I convinced one of my friends to try to play MWiF. He owned the game for a year, but he was overwhelmend by the learning curve. We did a TeamViewer, and I explained him step by step what I was doing. He loved it! I think this is the beggining of a beautiful wargaming experience.

Right now, I don't care about NetPlay anymore. Teamviewer works perfect. It's like siting together in the same computer (we can even speak, like we were using Skype). Those waiting for Netplay, I'd suggest to give a try to Teamviewer.

The most expected feature for me at the moment, would be the half-world scenarios (Europe & Pacific). I find it difficult to move from Barbarossa to Global War, you know...

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/29/2015 1:06:27 AM)

quote:

The most expected feature for me at the moment, would be the half-world scenarios (Europe & Pacific). I find it difficult to move from Barbarossa to Global War, you know...

FYI several beta testers one of them myself have asked Steve if it was possible to consider releasing a half map scenario, I prefer Fascist Tide which I feel is a brilliant scenario. There may be a few glitches, what they are I am not positive but I have been playing it without much trouble. Hopefully Steve might release it but I cannot speak for Steve.

Right now Steve is really busy with netplay, but you never know, I do not want to build up any hopes by posting this.

Bo

juntoalmar -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/29/2015 1:58:34 AM)

Thanks for the info, bo.

And becoming a betatester would help to get access to those scenarios? I mean, honestly becoming a betatester, not just to get access to Fascist Tide. Is that a possibility? Is there a lot of commitment with it?

I may get what I want AND helping the game development. Win-win [:)]

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/29/2015 3:14:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar

Thanks for the info, bo.

And becoming a betatester would help to get access to those scenarios? I mean, honestly becoming a betatester, not just to get access to Fascist Tide. Is that a possibility? Is there a lot of commitment with it?

I am not sure what kind of info it is,[:(] we just asked could a half map be released. As yet no information on that.

I am not saying you cannot be a beta tester that is up to Steve, Erik and Matrix, you have to apply. I have been testing Fascist Tide for several years but have not for the last 2 or 3 months, I test Guadalcanal most of the time.

Right now Steve's time is taken up by netplay and he wants to get it up and running, I said myself and another beta tester asked Steve to release a half map scenario if possible, that is all we can do and if Steve feels it is not ready for release then that is that, he is truly the only one who knows what is best for MWIF, it is a sure thing that I do not know what is best for MWIF.

Bo

Courtenay -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/29/2015 3:35:07 AM)

quote:

Thanks for the info, bo.

Currently, there is not a working version of either two-map scenario. The beta testers have access to the current non-working versions, so if one wants to as a beta tester one can discover exactly how they don;'t work. To repeat, no one has a working version of Fascist Tide.

One can do as much work as a beta tester as one wants. I did a lot last year. I have done very little this year, but hope to get more heavily involved later in the year.

Missouri_Rebel -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/29/2015 3:45:38 AM)

juntoalmar, sounds like you need to get the IT guy at work to start playing MWiF. That block may just come right down. [;)]

Titan -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/29/2015 6:58:04 AM)

Team viewr never heard of that. Is there some instruction on how to play using that?

juntoalmar -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/29/2015 11:30:01 AM)

http://www.teamviewer.com

Itīs a tool to share desktop with another user through Internet. You can even chat with text or audio (like Skype). Once set (5 min) it's like playing sitting hotseat: one in his own computer, the other one connected remotely.

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/29/2015 11:42:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

quote:

Thanks for the info, bo.

Currently, there is not a working version of either two-map scenario. The beta testers have access to the current non-working versions, so if one wants to as a beta tester one can discover exactly how they don;'t work. To repeat, no one has a working version of Fascist Tide.

One can do as much work as a beta tester as one wants. I did a lot last year. I have done very little this year, but hope to get more heavily involved later in the year.

No one including me said there was an official working version of Fascist Tide so I am not real clear why you say that, but Fascist Tide is playable or it was playable a few months back, I admit I have not tested it for several months because of net play, not that we have much to do with net play either, if players here can play Global War and they feel there are no bugs or very few bugs, I see no reason that they cant try Fascist Tide.

You are more astute at this game than I am Courtenay and I know that but I have played Fascist Tide through many turns and had very little trouble if any, and I am not using my debug tool to get around problems. I only felt that Steve could release Fascist Tide and let the players test also, and if any major problems report them.

Steve might feel Fascist Tide is not ready yet and I am fine with that. The game has been out to the public for over 16 months now and I do not see the beta testers as useful as they were before release, no disrespect to the very hardworking testers over these last 9 years, if there are bugs, hopefully none fatal then we would have many more eyes checking the routines, they are doing that now with Global War why not Fascist Tide.

Again I feel obliged to say I have never played the board game, so my opinion on this is only about the computer version of Fascist Tide in MWIF, I assume it is accurate to say that no player who purchased this game has even seen Fascist Tide on the computer from Matrix, not referring to other methods of playing this game. Truly a wonderful scenario.

Bo

Centuur -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/30/2015 4:57:54 PM)

Hmmm. Bo, I think you should test Guadalcanal again... [:-] using the latest beta testing patch.

It needs hammering on, since it is really an important one regarding naval combat and interception combat...

jzardos -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/30/2015 5:27:48 PM)

Yes, it is sad. Was so excited to play this game last year. Had convinced friend it would be great game to play via netplay. With all the bugs and issues around gameplay, all that excitement quickly evaporated. I understand the powers that be wanted to release game, however, IMO is was too premature and hurt the WitF computer game community's trust and expectations too deep. People started to move on to games that actually worked. My friend is still a bit bitter at me for convincing him to pay $100 for the game. My nice WiF books are collecting dust and I just ponder when there will be an AI and I can play this game again. Not going to try and convince another friend on NetPlay as I want to keep my current friends. Will check back in monthly for AI progress. Maybe in next few years I can play this game and enjoy my $100 paid.

cheers,
Jason

jzardos -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/30/2015 5:31:52 PM)

I do greatly appreciate the one (few) developers working on this game. This is shown by my $100 contribution towards it's development. I don't believe this game ever had the project structure for application software development and with so little people involve and technology that it's written in, you start to acquire many single points of failure.

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/30/2015 6:57:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jzardos

Yes, it is sad. Was so excited to play this game last year. Had convinced friend it would be great game to play via netplay. With all the bugs and issues around gameplay, all that excitement quickly evaporated. I understand the powers that be wanted to release game, however, IMO is was too premature and hurt the WitF computer game community's trust and expectations too deep. People started to move on to games that actually worked. My friend is still a bit bitter at me for convincing him to pay $100 for the game. My nice WiF books are collecting dust and I just ponder when there will be an AI and I can play this game again. Not going to try and convince another friend on NetPlay as I want to keep my current friends. Will check back in monthly for AI progress. Maybe in next few years I can play this game and enjoy my $100 paid.

cheers,
Jason

Good thing to keep friends jzardos, very important, and it might be wise not to tell him to buy the game right now [:(] unless of course you think it is playable, but there will be a day hopefully that you can advise him to without hesitation.

Bo

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/30/2015 6:59:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Hmmm. Bo, I think you should test Guadalcanal again... [:-] using the latest beta testing patch.

It needs hammering on, since it is really an important one regarding naval combat and interception combat...

Ouch, have you seen a problem centuur, I have not tested it for awhile but methinks I ought to get on it tonight. Thank you.

Bo

bo -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (3/30/2015 7:00:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jzardos

I do greatly appreciate the one (few) developers working on this game. This is shown by my $100 contribution towards it's development. I don't believe this game ever had the project structure for application software development and with so little people involve and technology that it's written in, you start to acquire many single points of failure.

Hmmm [:(]

Bo

Joseignacio -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (4/1/2015 8:51:16 AM)

Humour:

I think this could be Steve, patching the game bugs...

[image]http://media.tumblr.com/d90d2b4f3f1d435853ae2b32f8953bbc/tumblr_inline_nm3k2mpBUK1qhy6fn.gif[/image]

Centuur -> RE: Sad, sad, sad....... (4/1/2015 2:39:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

Humour:

I think this could be Steve, patching the game bugs...

[image]http://media.tumblr.com/d90d2b4f3f1d435853ae2b32f8953bbc/tumblr_inline_nm3k2mpBUK1qhy6fn.gif[/image]

Well, you said "humour", but I bet that sometimes even Steve would think like this...

Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI