RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/5/2015 10:59:10 AM)

Any other games peoples? What about future games? Are you anxious for Creative Assembly's Warhammer?

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/6/2015 7:38:54 AM)

Now, how did you get down here. [:D]

JEB Davis -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/9/2015 5:01:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orzel Bialy

Personally I think if you grew up playing the Squad Leader board games, you instantly loved SPWAW. From there it took off because of the immersion value of the game...different nations, different time periods, varying size of battles (quick small scenarios to large brain hurting ones...then the campaigns) and the ability to mod OoB's , build scenarios.

Frankly it had it all for a lot of people. [:)]

For me, it wasn't ASL because I could not afford to buy it.

I was passionately in love with the original AH Tobruk, and spent countless hours during high school & college on a redesign of it in greater detail.

To me, SP:WaW is pretty close to what I was trying to acheive with my redesign of Tobruk and that is why I love SP:WaW.

Agathosdaimon -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/9/2015 9:41:02 AM)

SSI's Battles of Napoleon - still an absolute gem and good challenge -

iMagics 'North vs South' - another one lost in teh cracks, its system of play is like the Great Battles series so its perhaps an odd fit to the civil war, but i like it and i think its maps and graphics are nice.

another one and i hope someone else here remembers these the KOEI strategy games

in particular L'Empereur - quite hard this one is too

Zorch -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/9/2015 10:25:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

SSI's Battles of Napoleon - still an absolute gem and good challenge -

+1

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/9/2015 12:04:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orzel Bialy

Personally I think if you grew up playing the Squad Leader board games, you instantly loved SPWAW. From there it took off because of the immersion value of the game...different nations, different time periods, varying size of battles (quick small scenarios to large brain hurting ones...then the campaigns) and the ability to mod OoB's , build scenarios.

Frankly it had it all for a lot of people. [:)]

Which game would you say is closer to Squad Leader:SPWAW? Close Combat?, Combat Mission? Mark Walker's Stalingrad? or some other rendition?

I've always felt SPWAW came closer to Squad Leader too.

ArmyEsq -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/9/2015 5:16:05 PM)

STEEL PANTHERS.

And can you imagine if we could play it on a tablet?
Too cool.

ArmyEsq -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/9/2015 5:19:09 PM)

I think in terms of depth of detail and feel, SPWAW is closest to ASL.

An update would be very appreciated (but not much is needed--keep it the same!)

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/9/2015 7:20:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ArmyEsq

I think in terms of depth of detail and feel, SPWAW is closest to ASL.

An update would be very appreciated (but not much is needed--keep it the same!)

Just a graphics update, OS update and some AI tweaks. Yeah then keep the rest pretty much the same.

Jafele -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/9/2015 7:27:28 PM)

Yep, it would be great a remake of SPWAW [:D]. If not possible at least a SPWAW II.

Classics deserve everything. [&o]

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/10/2015 6:25:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jafele

Yep, it would be great a remake of SPWAW [:D]. If not possible at least a SPWAW II.

Classics deserve everything. [&o]

Yeah, we've been waiting so long too. Who's your favorite nation to play or fight against? I enjoy the conflicts with the Japanese.

JEB Davis -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/17/2015 2:13:49 AM)

My favorites have been the North Afrika campaign, and the Russian front.
There is a North Afrika mod in case anyone here doesn't know, check my sig for the Enhanced forum, where it is located.

operating -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/17/2015 3:23:19 AM)

What I really liked : Were the stand alone battle games put out by Sid Meyers like;

Austerlitz, Waterloo, Antediam, Gettysburg

The way those games were programed was unique. Never could understand why he did not do more battles in that vain. Whoever took over that game engine just let it die.

Waterloo was my first pc game ever, bought it at Circuit City, turned out to be my all time favorite. I would still be playing it, but on the newer computers it just CTD every time...

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/18/2015 4:13:08 PM)

There's Norbsoft's Civilwar series now that's kinda like Sid's old games.

Now if we could just get a remake of STEEL PANTHERS! [&o]

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/18/2015 10:15:39 PM)

I liked Steel Panthers because it has so many nations you can play. Love fighting against the Japanese.

operating -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/19/2015 1:57:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

There's Norbsoft's Civilwar series now that's kinda like Sid's old games.

Now if we could just get a remake of STEEL PANTHERS! [&o]

Did a research article for Norb several years ago a little after he put Mad Minute games behind him and started up Norbsoft, it's still posted there: http://www.norbsoftdev.net/articles-mainmenu-59/history/71-civil-war-field-fortifications

Kuokkanen -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/21/2015 3:59:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: davidshq

What wargame did you play at some point in the past and really wish would be redone?

Empire Deluxe

Found it!

wodin -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/21/2015 4:41:17 AM)

The UI counters showing question marks and fading out was in CMx1 aswell.

Personally I find CMx2 a big improvement over CMx1 and it gets better with every release. I play WEGO only. It certainly isn't for kids, it's one tough game to learn and you have to use real word tactics otherwise your wasted. You need to learn how to play the game learn actual tactics. Also don't play on the highest difficulty setting as you have friend;y FOW aswell. I play at Elite. The issue you have with the game is that you don't know how to play it or use tactical concepts o find and pin the enemy. I suggest reading some AAR's. Describing it as an RTS sounds like you've never actually played it.

Anyway..Lets hope Tigers on the Hunt comes good and makes up for the last few mediocre WW2 tactical wargames Matrix has released (COH,LnL). I have high hopes and am pretty confident it's going o be good.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

quote:

CMx2 became a game for children. RTS and all that. But, it took so much away imho. Oh sure the graphics are nice enough when you can see something actually happening. I thought the old school graphics were fine myself. If they had just worked on the ai which is still quite braindead as the same ole tactics work in the CMx2 as in the first one.

But, at any rate this is a What classic wargame do you wish would be made.
I have a new one: War of the Lance! as well as STEEL PANTHERS. [&o]

Yeah it's really too bad you can't play CMx2 turn-based anymore ... oh wait

Yeah and you see nothing in turn based just like in the RTS side. Just a bunch of square faded grey squares and question marks. This was not a problem in old school.

But enough about games that **(K an forward and onward about STEEL PANTHERS remake? Maybe Age of Rifles too?[&o] Afterall this is a thread about "What wargame would you like to see remade" I'd like to see CMx1 remade in its like where I can see something when I play. Some real action not just red tracers going off.

gabeeg -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/21/2015 6:59:45 AM)

Yawn, I know this is a boring answer by now...but Steel Panthers! I mean, I don't even need it (or want) it changed much, just modernized for true color, large resolution and modernize the UI a bit.

jack54 -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/21/2015 6:10:27 PM)

Computer Ambush by SSI (1980)

Western Front Squad combat with individual soldiers as units.... Each square was only 9ft.

The graphics were really basic a letter G for a German soldier and an A for an American. Each Soldier came with a bio. Windows , Doors, and
interior rooms were all calculated. (I have tried to recreate this map in CM:SF but have fail)..... I love the idea of this game so much that I still have the map and bios booklet 35 years later.

[image]local://upfiles/25856/085CBE618E1E475EB336F0558391C609.jpg[/image]

Jeffrey H. -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/21/2015 7:09:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jack54

Western Front Squad combat with individual soldiers as units.... Each square was only 9ft.

The graphics were really basic a letter G for a German soldier and an A for an American. Each Soldier came with a bio. Windows , Doors, and
interior rooms were all calculated. (I have tried to recreate this map in CM:SF but have fail)..... I love the idea of this game so much that I still have the map and bios booklet 35 years later.

That was fun, I liked that one quite a bit. You could play either German or US soldiers. I'm pretty sure I played it on the Apple II+.

Actually this could be one that should be ummm, remade or perhaps ummm reverse engin..... ummm you get my point.

jack54 -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/21/2015 10:10:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

That was fun, I liked that one quite a bit. You could play either German or US soldiers. I'm pretty sure I played it on the Apple II+.

Actually this could be one that should be ummm, remade or perhaps ummm reverse engin..... ummm you get my point.

I double checked and the Apple version was in 1980 ... I actually played the Commodore 64 version released in 1985 so it was only 30 years ago for me LOL

I forgot it came with grease pencils for the map. (I remember starting a tag team race around the perimeter of the village (two player of course) which the Germans won because of superior Command Control. It took a while for each American to start running...

[image]local://upfiles/25856/866DF7989C0941C6B79ED11C8BB18AD4.jpg[/image]

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/22/2015 12:10:07 AM)

http://www.ccs64.com/ the emulator and http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=9795&d=18&h=0 and you can be playing it again on a modern day computer. [:)]

parusski -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/22/2015 2:36:29 AM)

quote:

anxious for Creative Assembly's Warhammer?

Just in case no one mentioned it how about SPWAW!!![:D][:D][:D]

Zorch -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/22/2015 7:29:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

anxious for Creative Assembly's Warhammer?

Just in case no one mentioned it how about SPWAW!!![:D][:D][:D]

I would just like to mention that I have never, ever, played Steel Panthers or any of its sequels. [;)]

gradenko2k -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/22/2015 9:04:58 AM)

I never got to play Steel Panthers in its heyday either, and every time I've tried I just thought I'd be having an easier time of it in Close Combat or Combat Mission.

wodin -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/22/2015 10:35:18 AM)

MASSIVE YES PLEASE> We haven't had a tactical wargame at this scale on the PC yet. I know about Soldiers at War, 101st Airborne (prob the best wargame on the PC at this scale, shame about the sequel) and I suppose Silent Storm..but we haven't had something like this.
quote:

jack54 -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/22/2015 9:47:13 PM)

quote:

http://www.ccs64.com/ the emulator and http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=9795&d=18&h=0 and you can be playing it again on a modern day computer. [:)]

Thank you but I don't think I would do that....I'm afraid of old games and emulators in general.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/22/2015 9:51:33 PM)

quote:

quote:

The work and it's not hard to install. But, it's your call. Great fun playin the old games on a new computer. [:)]

Thank you but I don't think I would do that....I'm afraid of old games and emulators in general.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (5/23/2015 6:51:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

I never got to play Steel Panthers in its heyday either, and every time I've tried I just thought I'd be having an easier time of it in Close Combat or Combat Mission.

Wow, you should try it as it's free now for the base version. The General's edition costs but you don't have to have that to play.

Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI