RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Zorch -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/5/2015 7:46:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Oh and how about an AI for World in Flames while you're at it making SPWAW. [&o]

aatoysandmore - is it true your new handle is 'SPForever'? [:)]

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/6/2015 1:09:05 AM)

Sadly I loaded up SPWAW today and the grapics almost make it unplayable anymore. The units blend in with the terrain to well and SP for windows isn't much better but I can see the infantry in it. Thas why we need an update and to keep this on the front page forever.[:D]

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/6/2015 8:12:20 AM)

But, don'tcha think it would be a real "beauty" to remake SPWAW sooner than later. [:)]

Also, what do you guys think is a good campaign size for an army? Like how many build points? I don't like large battles with 100's of units. Just something moderate will do.

Tac2i -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/6/2015 10:15:49 AM)

ATG 2.21 adds TO&E Templates: a classic that keeps getting better.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3863627

quote:

But, don'tcha think it would be a real "beauty" to remake SPWAW sooner than later. [:)]

Also, what do you guys think is a good campaign size for an army? Like how many build points? I don't like large battles with 100's of units. Just something moderate will do.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/6/2015 12:55:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webizen

ATG 2.21 adds TO&E Templates: a classic that keeps getting better.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3863627

quote:

What's TOE? and I like that first statement out of that person.

Tac2i -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/6/2015 12:59:25 PM)

TO&E = Table of Organization & Equipment. See post.

Rodwonder -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/7/2015 11:00:23 AM)

That is the cool thing about Steel Panthers, you could set it up anyway you liked. From small battles all the way up to full kampfruppes every nation who fought in WW2, every front whatever you prefered at that moment... This is my reason it's a classic that should be upgraded.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/9/2015 7:51:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rodwonder

That is the cool thing about Steel Panthers, you could set it up anyway you liked. From small battles all the way up to full kampfruppes every nation who fought in WW2, every front whatever you prefered at that moment... This is my reason it's a classic that should be upgraded.

Yes, my favorite is still US vs Japan. What are youse guys favorite settings for a skirmish? Total troops and stuff like that?

maitrebongo -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/12/2015 8:12:40 AM)

Steel Panthers, "Wargame of the century".
The only game players still playing during last 20 years...

JEB Davis -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/14/2015 8:36:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rodwonder

Another good reason for SP:WaW

quote:

ORIGINAL: maitrebongo
Steel Panthers, "Wargame of the century".
The only game players still playing during last 20 years...

And yet another... so true!

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/14/2015 1:42:28 PM)

As many fans as SPWAW has you'd think they'd already made a SP II. Wonder why? Matrix? Slitherine? Iain? Erik?

KG Erwin -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/16/2015 5:39:28 AM)

I was involved with SPWAW for a few years, and there was a lot of infighting involved in it. I won't go into any details, but thankfully a few of the players got involved and updated the game on their own. Once programmer Mike Wood got involved, they made several improvements on top of SPWAW 8.403 and came up with SPWAW Enhanced. This is the version I still play, along with a few self-designed OOB changes.

The main reason it hasn't been changed is the age of the game code. To redo the game would mean a complete rewrite from the bottom up. Anyone who has worked on the OOBs alone know that there is an incredible amount of data in the game.

Now, Matrix cannot sell the game as a standalone product, due to the original legal agreement. The MegaCampaigns were designed inhouse, but the last one done was in 2004.

Until Mike Wood gave us some guidelines in OOB design, there were many changes done which royally screwed up the game. I was one of the crew who learned this firsthand and benefited from his guidance. I kept my notes from the repair work we started some 10 years ago, which continued until recently.

I still believe that our USMC OOB is the most comprehensive of any WWII tactical wargame in existence. We were benefited by the research of author Gordon Rottman in his books. I bought several of them, and they were invaluable in the research for SPWAW.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/19/2015 9:58:03 AM)

Kewl KG I didn't know that. Now I'm wondering CAN Matrixgames/Slitherine do another SPWAW?

Alchenar -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/19/2015 8:03:36 PM)

quote:

Kewl KG I didn't know that. Now I'm wondering CAN Matrixgames/Slitherine do another SPWAW?

Battle Academy is basically SPWAW-lite and has done fairly well (well enough to get a sequel). The success of XCOM and the hype over XCOM2 is basically proof there's a big mainstream audience of people looking for tactical turn-based games if they're presented right.

So maybe you have to ditch the IP (but the IP is worthless anyway) and give it a new name but there's no reason that if you found the right team you couldn't just make another game but also have it be really successful.

Skeleton -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/20/2015 12:40:32 AM)

In addition to wanting the SSG resurrection, I would love to see Avalon Hill's Third Reich re-done.  Not sure it qualifies as a "classic" but, it might be more manageable than waiting for WiF to be solo friendly (ie, with an AI).

JEB Davis -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/20/2015 12:49:51 AM)

quote:

Battle Academy is basically SPWAW-lite...

If SP:WaW was remade to be like Battle Academy I would vomit blood and never even consider buying it.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/20/2015 12:54:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JEB Davis

quote:

Battle Academy is basically SPWAW-lite...

If SP:WaW was remade to be like Battle Academy I would vomit blood and never even consider buying it.

Well, let's not get hasty here. I could deal with the Battle Academy graphics with the SPWAW combat engine with all the checks and balances. SPWAW needs a graphics facelift, the combat engine calculations were fine. Just tired of looking at blotches on my screen. I'd even take Panzer Corp 'graphics' but not either it or Battle Academy's combat engine.

JEB Davis -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/20/2015 12:57:53 AM)

I'm comfortable with my hasty comment.

Alchenar -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/20/2015 7:45:36 AM)

I didn't mean that SPWAW should become Battle Academy, I meant that the fact that Battle Academy basically copied and pasted and then did a bit of streamlining of how to control units from SPWAW indicates that there's some fundamentals there that have stood the test of time.

Crimguy -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/21/2015 2:47:14 AM)

I want to see Bungie's Myth redone in full 3d glory.

"Make way for the Dwarves!"

JEB Davis -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/21/2015 2:49:05 AM)

No problem Alchenar, I didn't think you were suggesting that [:)]

Just needed to express my feelings and I hope Matrix would not do something like BA for a SP:WaW remake. SP:WaW doesn't really need to be "remade" anyway, just updated for new OS's and some minor improvements, which have been suggested & discussed ad nauseum in the SP:WaW forums.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/21/2015 9:29:15 AM)

Well Jeb what kind of graphics would you suggest?

Major_Mess -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/21/2015 6:16:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alchenar

Battle Academy is basically SPWAW-lite ...

Intrigued by this statement, I went and had a look at this product.

Hahahahahahahahaha

What a load of rubbish.

Why not just paint the tanks pink and include your favorite anime characters while yer at it.

quote:

Well, let's not get hasty here. I could deal with the Battle Academy graphics with the SPWAW combat engine ...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha ................. stop it man, you're killin' me.
I'm trying real hard not to be an a__hole here, but WTF are you smokin'?

quote:

ORIGINAL: JEB Davis

Do you hear that? It's the Choir singing!

quote:

ORIGINAL: JEB Davis comes back for more

I'm comfortable with my hasty comment.

Au contraire Mon Ami, your balanced, concise response was warranted, nay I say - It was needed ............ You Were Provoked.

All kidding aside, I sure wish the hosts of this board would pipe up.

cheers

Major Mess

Alchenar -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/21/2015 6:29:21 PM)

The way you control units in SPWAW is virtually identical to the way you control them in Battle Academy. A certain number of squares/hexes of movement and a certain number of shots. More movement reduces accuracy.

That's it. That's how you play both games. Sure there's tons of stuff layered on top of each game that makes them wildly diverge from each other, but the rock-bottom basics are the same.

Major_Mess -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/21/2015 7:32:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alchenar

The way you control units in SPWAW is virtually identical to the way you control them in Battle Academy. A certain number of squares/hexes of movement and a certain number of shots. More movement reduces accuracy.

That's it. That's how you play both games. Sure there's tons of stuff layered on top of each game that makes them wildly diverge from each other, but the rock-bottom basics are the same.

Yes, Alchenar, I won't argue the point. You're right.

I still ain't gonna buy a game with pink tanks tho .......
Jus sain.

MM

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/22/2015 1:17:38 AM)

Once again what graphics or game graphics would you use? The dated ones we have now have got to go.

And I wish too Iain and/or Erik would chime in about what might happen in the future for SPWAW?

HudsonGame -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/22/2015 1:50:53 AM)

I would like to see Norm Koger (if not possible, somebody) redo Age of Rifles. I helped playtest that game, and it would be great if it could be redone. One thing at the time I requested (too late in development) was to be able to save each order of battle. Anyway, it was the best game of its kind. I believe Norm is the finest software wargame designer period. I hope he can redo this great classic.

Thanks,

John Hudson

JEB Davis -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/22/2015 2:48:56 AM)

quote:

Well Jeb what kind of graphics would you suggest?

I have no problem with the current graphics in SP:WaW. If the game was updated to include higher screen resolutions then perhaps the graphics could be re-rendered at higher resolution to match that.

Under no circumstances should SP:WaW become 3D. If it doesn't remain top-down 2D then it will lose my interest and perhaps that of many players. We don't need or want flashy graphics, just quick response gameplay just like it currently is now.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (6/22/2015 2:51:34 AM)

What's this "we" I'm part of that crowd too and I "WANT" 3d graphics like Panzer Corp or Battle Academy. [&o]

Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI