RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

cantona2 -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/21/2015 8:32:37 AM)

Gibraltar, as in the Rock of Gibraltar

Always interested in History especially WW2. My grandfather was in the Parachute Regiment and fought at Monte Cassino, Operation Dragoon and Operation Manna in Greece. Studied History at uni, teach it for a living and currently doing an MA in Military History with the University of Birmingham

cdnice -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/21/2015 2:24:23 PM)

Born, raised and living in Ottawa, Canada.

Grandfather, grandmother served in Army in WW2 and had aunts and uncles in Air Force and Navy (much to my grandfathers displeasure). Always been interested in history, specifically military history which I was piqued by some books my father had and cemented with the gift of a model of the U.S.S. Arizona whose history got me interested in the Pacific theatre.

Started out with the huge Avalon Hill games, one based on Europe and I also had(and still have) War in the Pacific. I used to love those little cardboard square ships......Could never really find anyone to play with although my dad gave it a few goes with me. Harpoon was my intro to computerized naval gaming and I have been hooked ever since. Played the original WITP and WITPAE now. I have always loved the naval games with editable databases so I can give Canada the Navy she usually planned for........but never got..........

sventhebold -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/21/2015 3:45:43 PM)

Born in Crookston MN and raised mostly in that area.
I'm half Estonian half Norwegian. My Grandfather (Estonian) was a mechanic for the Estonian military. When the Russians invaded in 1939 (The war they never talk about on TV) He and all the other men of the family were inducted into the Russian military. Since he was already a mechanic he was treated well. All the other men were sent off to war and died. When the Germans invaded he was taken prisoner and was being sent back to the fatherland to work. But the train he was on was bombed(supposedly American bombers) and he was killed. Then my grandmother had no place and became a camp follower. She cooked for a work crew out on one of the islands close to Tallin. They were cutting down trees for lumber and for making roads as there were no roads to speak of on the drive to Leningrad. One day the German Major went into town to find out why the mail had not come for over a week. He came back in a rush on a motorcycle and told my grandma to get on the motorcycle NOW! He put them on a ship and she never saw him again. The refugee convoy they left on (courtesy of a German major I will never know) After they put out to sea one of the transports was torpedoed and there was a great loss of life.
They made it to Germany but like so many DP's (displaced persons) were just trying to stay alive. Grandma had a fishing and natural upbringing so she knew how to forage for wild spinach and other roots. Often selling the extra for money to get by. I know she also made dolls out of straw to sell to the children. She was often called "The doll lady" She ended up working in a factory near Frankenberg till it was bombed out of existence. They came to America in 1952? on an adoption program through Faaberg Lutheran church in Rindahl MN. The youngest son of the family that adopted the as an ID (indentured servant) became smitten with her and married her.

More to come. I have to get busy.

Sardaukar -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/21/2015 5:51:17 PM)

I was born in Central Finland with Western Finland family. Had lifetime fascination about military history. Served as officer in Finnish Defence Forces. I have lived in Finland, Malta and Israel...never have gotten to Pacific, though I have many Australian and New Zealander friends.

Symon -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/21/2015 6:27:51 PM)

Born in Germany from an American father. Served as an officer in the US Army, Artillery branch, and some other unusual postings. From Florida, schools in Maine and Cambridge Mass. MS Optical Physics, Physical Chemistry, Material Science. Lived pretty much everywhere, but now a days divide my time between Mobile Alabama and Puerto Varas, Patagonia, Chile. Am an instructor for the Chilean national sailboat racing team.

nashvillen -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/21/2015 8:05:16 PM)

Started in Upstate NY (South of Rochester in the Finger Lakes Region) years 0-16, moved to Oklahoma for five years 16-21, then in Middle Tennessee (SE of Nashville) the rest of the time 21+.

Retired Fire Chief. The US army wouldn't take me, bum knee, so I ruined it firefighting. Now work as a public safety data analyst with Geographic Information Systems supporting all emergency services in our county.

Married to a wife that doesn't understand my need to play WWII in the pacific day by day, but sees that it makes me happy and is OK with that. Two kids, one a rising Senior in high school and a rising sophomore in high school.

Other interests include model building and war gaming (the old cardboard and paper map kind), although Vassal works well when room is not available. Started in Military History in 6th grade with "A Two Ocean War" and AH's War at Sea, quickly followed by Victory in the Pacific. It was all downhill from there...

sanch -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/21/2015 8:09:31 PM)

Early interest in history - check. I still have paperback of 'Hitler Moves East' I read in 10th grade.

Early gaming - check. First was something from Avalon Hill called 'Tactics II', and squares, not even hexes.

Model building - some. built a wooden Viking long boat from scratch for high school project. Sent it out across the lake with a lit cherry bomb in the hold at the end of the school year. Labored long and hard over a balsa flyable plane. When finished, sent it out on first flight. Nose dived and splintered. Last of flying machines for me.

Ex-military - nope. I truthfully had no desire to stomp the jungles of SE Asia. If I was one month older, would have been drafted, tho.

45-60 - nope. Too old.

Post-secondary - check. BA, MS

Lived early years upstate NY (Gilbertsville, a truly massive metropolis); grade school in northeast PA; high school years in coastal NH. Then back to NY for several years, then to CT for 1st job out of school, and in CT ever since.

pws1225 -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/22/2015 12:02:39 AM)

From a nice little swamp in north Florida. Grew up in another bigger swamp in north Florida.

Early gaming - yep Tactics II like sanch

Model building - only the plastic cheapies.

Early interest in history - oh yea, and still learning.

Ex-military - yep, US Navy '69-'73 NAS Jax VW-4 (and good times in Barbados!)

45-60 - I wish, passed that a while ago.

Post-secondary - yep, BS, MS.

TOMLABEL -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/22/2015 3:19:48 AM)

Born in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Spent some early years in Tennessee/Kentucky, but was raised in Mobile, Alabama and Ft. Walton Beach, Florida. After school spent several years working for DOD at WPAFB, Ohio and now reside in Birmingham, Alabama.

ROLL TIDE!!!!

TOMLABEL

John 3rd -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/22/2015 3:40:58 AM)

Born in Carrollton, MO to a Father and Mother who were movie theatre managers.

Grew up on John Wayne and History.

LOVED Flattop, GEV/OGRE, and AD&D.

Graduated University of Northern Colorado: BAs History and Political Science, Minor in Theatre--MA History. Taught High School 9 years and College/University 15+.

Due to a serious life disruption, I left education and now manage a Subway with plans to buy two Franchises within 12-18 months. Just turned 49 a couple of weeks ago.

Married for 13 Years to the lovely Miss Paula and have two sons--John (11) and Christopher (8). Have to admit my eldest is learning to play Uncommon Valor and will play me within a few months.

Does that qualify as a GEEK raising a GEEK??!!

TOMLABEL -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/22/2015 3:50:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Just turned 49 a couple of weeks ago.

Me too almost - April 18th.

Happy Belated Birthday!!!![8D]

TOMLABEL

wdolson -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/22/2015 3:56:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Just turned 49 a couple of weeks ago.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL
Me too almost - April 18th.

Happy Belated Birthday!!!![8D]

TOMLABEL

That's weird, we're only a day apart in age. Same year.

Bill

jamesjohns -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/22/2015 4:16:22 AM)

quote:

Some of us older types grew up around WW2 vets. Teachers, coaches, scout masters, neighbors, dads, uncles, you name it. Certainly a big influence on many people on this forum.

Although I'm on the young end of the age range, thinking of the WWII generation I had regular contact with. Growing up most of them never really shared any stories with us kids. After doing my own time during the 1st Gulf, there where still some of these gentlemen around, they opened up more and shared some of their own experiences, for which I am very appreciative and grateful. Now that I'm older and had a few more trips, I wish I could visit with them again, but sadly most of them have passed on.

When I think of "Veteran", I point to these gentlemen and know my own experiences amount to about .001% of what they went through.

One Grandfather was an Infantryman in Africa and Italy; understandably never talked about the war. Other Grandfather logistics in the US, joined the Army expecting to go over seas and ended up stationed only a couple hundred miles from home, never left the States. Number of Great-Uncles, one a medic in France was captured and told me how at the end of the war was drawing near the guards main concern was the Americans got to them before the Russians, another with the 82nd for 3 jumps then wounded, my mom said he was active in the anti-Vietnam war movement. Grandma had a brother that was MIA, later changed to KIA in Europe, she always had a picture of him in her purse. Several teachers, middle school Principal had lots of pictures of WWII aircraft in his office was Air Corp in Europe. A math teacher was on a destroyer (? if I recall right) in the Atlantic, every year he swapped classes with history teacher and talk about the convoy battles/WWII, was one history unit everyone enjoyed. Minister in church meet the Russians at the Elbe, sometimes talked about WWII, war during his sermons and the need for peace, he had a son that died in Vietnam.

A neighbor farmed beside us was a gunner on a B-17, my dad & him helped each other out a lot/shared equipment, I worked a lot for him as a teenager. As little kids my sister once asked where his arm was, told us "It fell off somewhere over Holland". Another neighbor was a Marine in the Pacific think he was at Okinawa, his advice when I thought of joining military, "go to college". One of my Grandfathers best friends was on a minesweeper in the Pacific, one time asked him about it. He said if he "had any brains he would have been a lot more scared". My father in-law & mother-in-law grew up during WWII, (he was Korean War, Infantry), interesting to hear about WWII through the eyes of a teen growing up during it. One of my best friends dad was in France/Germany, worked at the post office, great guy, lot of fun, said his unit was the first to shell German soil, always talked loud & was hard of hearing (he was an Arty Officer [;)]) told stories about trading canned food for fresh food with locals and most of the time giving them a great deal because he felt sorrow for them.

rockmedic109 -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/22/2015 7:08:40 AM)

I meet all the qualifications except for education. It appears my lack of education makes me look like a fern amongst a forest of redwoods.

I did qualify for an advanced degree from the University of California at Hard Knoxx [:D].

Marshall -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ? (5/22/2015 7:23:56 AM)

Dutch!

4 years air force in the old days.

Been playing the game since it came out by SSL, the game developed immensely, and i just keep coming back for more.

Rafid -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/22/2015 7:47:23 AM)

I seem to fall out of the demographic here:

...early interest in history and reading: Partially - reading yes, history no
...early war gaming: no, WITPAE is the first game (cardboard or digital) of this kind for me
...model builders: no
...ex-military: no
...45-60 yr range: no - I was born in 1984, which makes me the youngest to have posted on this thread, I believe.
...post-secondary schooling: check (got one at least)

definitively guilty of geekdom though, which should probably be added to the list

Itdepends -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/22/2015 12:56:01 PM)

Born and raised in the SW of Western Australia
Just under a year from 40, early Gen X
Did a little bit of model building in my early years but rarely finished one and never got the hang of painting well. Bought a large set of paints about a year ago intending to spruce up some steampunk floating warships and ended up using them to paint a bunch of voodoo puppets for a board game instead.
Mining professional, BSc in Chemistry and Extractive Metallurgy

I didn't do a lot of boardgaming in my formative years but did have the privilege of growing up during the birth of the computing age. Many weeks of pocket money/allowance found its way into the local video game arcade- at least until the day I got my first computer- a commodore 64.
Wargaming on the home computer against the AI was the best way to find an "opponent" in the early days. I played a lot of Overrun and Typhoon of Steel. Once I graduated to a PC it was Steel Panthers and Close Combat (ahh the poor russian anti tank squads- his armour is too thiiiick).

Even now I find it easier to get an opponent on the PC rather than in person- although there are some great solitaire boardgames out now days. Codeword Cromwell and Omaha Beach were recent discoveries for me and I'm now waiting on Apache/Warthog leader and Hunters (U boats) to arrive.

Always had an interest in WWII, but generally preferred the Euro/Soviet theatre as the germans. However the fog of war and player interaction with WITPAE has me hooked, I haven't found anything that comes close to it.

My dad was in the navy, pretty sure he finished before I was born. According to him, my Grandfather served in the Royal Marines in Burma but I never talked about it with him (Grandad), he passed a couple of years ago. One day I might dig into that a bit further but the records are still closed to the public.

warspite1 -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/22/2015 1:07:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rafid

I seem to fall out of the demographic here:

...early interest in history and reading: Partially - reading yes, history no
...early war gaming: no, WITPAE is the first game (cardboard or digital) of this kind for me
...model builders: no
...ex-military: no
...45-60 yr range: no - I was born in 1984, which makes me the youngest to have posted on this thread, I believe.
...post-secondary schooling: check (got one at least)

definitively guilty of geekdom though, which should probably be added to the list
warspite1

Rafid Wow! So with a background like that - particularly the no early wargaming and the history - no, where does the interest in this game come from? How did you even get into it?

You mention Geekdom - is it the logistics? Or has the game untapped a hidden love of the military and/or history?

Many thanks

HansBolter -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/22/2015 1:13:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

I meet all the qualifications except for education. It appears my lack of education makes me look like a fern amongst a forest of redwoods.

I did qualify for an advanced degree from the University of California at Hard Knoxx [:D].

Thought this was about where we are from. Not our creds.

Don't knock yourself for the lack of an education.

I'm a self taught architect with neither a degree nor a license and serve in the same capacity as any other staff architect and am recognized in the design community in the Tampa Bay area as one of the most competent around.

Personally, I have had the severe displeasure of being forced to work with far too many degreed and licensed incompetent buffoons to ever be gullible enough to accept possession of them as adequate indicators of intelligence and competence.

Been playing wargames for 42 years having cut my teeth on the Avalon Hill and SPI classics of the 1970s.

My collection of board wargames is well over 200. I was a beta tester for Avalon Hill's classic Advanced Third Reich with my name appearing in the design credits.

Don't really know if those are adequate creds to impress anyone and really don't care.

mind_messing -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/22/2015 2:04:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rafid

'95 here, so no joy, not by a long shot.

From my understanding of things, there's a fair few of us in the younger demographic bracket.

Mundy -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/22/2015 3:12:44 PM)

Born in New London, Wisconsin.

Spent 9 years in exile in Superior, Wisconsin before finally settling back in Neenah. Wisconsin.

About covers it.

wneumann -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/22/2015 3:12:52 PM)

Tampa (Florida), across the bay from Hans Bolter. Not impossible that we've crossed (or almost crossed) paths without either of us knowing it. If Hans is a (NHL) hockey fan, we've very probably spent time inside the same building at the same time.

HansBolter -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/22/2015 3:17:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wneumann

Tampa (Florida), across the bay from Hans Bolter. Not impossible that we've crossed (or almost crossed) paths without either of us knowing it. If Hans is a (NHL) hockey fan, we've very probably spent time inside the same building at the same time.

Only been to a handful of Lightning games.

My brother and sister in law are huge fans.

And BTW, what little time I did spend at college was in Gatorland.

Orange and Blue, Orange and Blue, Orange and Blue Blue Blue!

The main hobby that gets me out of the house is astronomy.

I've been an active member of the St. Petersburg Astronomy Club (the largest in the southeast U.S.) for close to 20 years.

We use the 40 acre clearing in the Withlacochee River Park just east of Dade City for our dark sky observing site.

[image]local://upfiles/21458/95576D51B6BD497CB59628966A5E2F9F.jpg[/image]

pnzrgnral -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/23/2015 2:12:03 AM)

Born and raised in Maryland, with Baltimore as hometown; started reading early and subjects military were a very early favorite. Lotsa' vets in the family, predominately Navy. First wargame was AH's "Blitzkrig" at the age of ten; dozens of wargames followed, including D&D when in its infancy in the mid-70's. Enlisted in the Army at 19 years of age in 79 to kick Iranian ass and defend the world from Soviet Bolshevism. Computer wargames began to accumulate with the introduction of the Commodore 64. My mind and heart loved being in the infantry, but my body, over the years, didn't agree - plenty of aches & pains, owwies and such to remind me that I'm in my mid-50's and not a twenty-something staff sergeant serving in a Ranger battalion anymore. Or even a mech infantry unit. The Pacific has always been a favorite subject, especially naval, but being assigned to the 25th Infantry Division in Hawaii for two tours, I was able to travel the Pacific extensively and see some of the terrain fought over in AE (and elsewhere). Although an MOS-qualified German linguist (good high school education there), I could never get assigned to Europe. Once you become a Ranger, The Big Green Machine owns your a** and you go where they want you to. So no opportunity to visit European battlefields or museums...or drink BIER.

Vaevictis_386 -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/23/2015 2:27:31 AM)

US

TOMLABEL -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/23/2015 3:15:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

Yes, that is kinda weird, but cool indeed!!![8D]

Maybe that explains for once why a programmer and an art guy could understand each other and work together on this AE project so well!!! [:D]

TOMLABEL

jakla1027 -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/23/2015 5:04:02 AM)

Pocatello, Idaho. Good ole USA!!! I'm 29, and have lived in Idaho my whole life. My career, welder. No military service, just became interested interested in Military History at the age of 12, been studying it ever since, collect WWII era guns. And have been putting together my own library of military history books.

As a side note guys. Pocatello, ID has remenants of what everyone here refers to as "the gun plant". It's a large group of buildings, shops,& warehouses that the US navy built here in WWII. They manufactured a large selection of the numouros naval guns used during WWII. From what I've gathered they produced everything from the 16" guns down to 5" guns used by the Navy. Today the plant is still being used by various fabrication companies. They also test fired guns out in the desert, shot them at a big inactive volcanic butte. What a firing range

Big B -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/23/2015 5:16:49 AM)

Born in Hollywood CA in the 50's, then lived in Los Angeles and Orange County (the latter mostly) the rest of my life. My Dad's side of the family got to the 'New World' (what later became Rhode Island) over 400 years ago...so yeah - I'm American.

RogerJNeilson -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/23/2015 5:56:10 AM)

Ok sorry I'm late to this thread, just got back from a small 2,700 rail holiday round Central Europe. [Amsterdam, Munich, Vienna, Venice, Florence, Rome, Turin, Paris]

I'm a Geordie - born at the end of Hadrian's Wall - and live in Northumberland, UK.

Been active with this since it came out, prior was a WITP player and have now 5 decades or one form of wargaming or another under my belt.

Currently in three PBEMs....

Roger

wdolson -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/23/2015 5:59:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL
Yes, that is kinda weird, but cool indeed!!![8D]

Maybe that explains for once why a programmer and an art guy could understand each other and work together on this AE project so well!!! [:D]

TOMLABEL

I did grow up with an art guy too. [:)] It is kinda cool.

Bill

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI