RE: Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

pontiouspilot -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ? (5/28/2015 1:20:24 AM)

Reading all this bio info convinces me that AE, and this site itself would not exist were in not for that archeological oddity known as Avalon Hill. I should have saved these and sent them to Happy Hans...threw them all out last summer. Lets see what did I have: Waterloo, 1914, Jutland, Blitzkreig x 3, Panzerblitx x 3, Stalingrad, Anzio, Flattop x 3, some silly Atlantic war game...I'll bet I'm forgetting a couple....Richtofens War....oh yah U-boat (aka watching paint dry).

I wonder if the AH folks got rich?...likely not.

TOMLABEL -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ? (5/28/2015 3:51:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot
....oh yah U-boat (aka watching paint dry).

So true!!![:D][:D][:D]

TOMLABEL

Symon -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/28/2015 3:55:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson
quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd
Just turned 49 a couple of weeks ago.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL
Me too almost - April 18th.
Happy Belated Birthday!!!![8D]

TOMLABEL

That's weird, we're only a day apart in age. Same year.

Bill

quote:

Yes, that is kinda weird, but cool indeed!!![8D]

TOMLABEL

Beyond weird. I'm April 4th. John 3rd turned 49, and I was born in 49. Ohh dude! the numerology is saying exceptional things. Aries is rising and if you got a Pisces or Aquarius in there somewhere, your SO is gonna SOOOOO seriously love it.

Seriously though [8D] Kelly. I'm in-country, but out of State in early June. I'm off to Massachusetts to talk with my publisher and then down to Groton to spend time with my sister. Her husband had a stroke, not as bad as Mom's, but bad enough.

After her husband died, Jeannie still rides and does the wagon trains. I'm kinda a go to riding buddy and cuddle pal. I get up your way a lot more than you get down mine. When I'm in the 'hood, I will make every effort to connect. Kin you ride a horse? I mean like all day long?

Ciao. JWE

pontiouspilot -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ? (5/29/2015 4:31:54 AM)

Oh....I forgot Battle of the Bulge. Actually one of the better AH classics.

DTC666 -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ? (5/29/2015 1:36:01 PM)

London UK

HansBolter -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ? (5/29/2015 1:44:55 PM)

quote:

Reading all this bio info convinces me that AE, and this site itself would not exist were in not for that archeological oddity known as Avalon Hill. I should have saved these and sent them to Happy Hans...threw them all out last summer. Lets see what did I have: Waterloo, 1914, Jutland, Blitzkreig x 3, Panzerblitx x 3, Stalingrad, Anzio, Flattop x 3, some silly Atlantic war game...I'll bet I'm forgetting a couple....Richtofens War....oh yah U-boat (aka watching paint dry).

In '08 in the midst of the Great Recession the bottom dropped out of the architecture business and I spent almost 2-1/2 years unemployed.

During that stretch I gave serious consideration to selling my board game collection.

There is a great source online for out of print board games. Knoble Knght Games, check it out sometime and you will be amazed at what you can pick up.

They also buy used games, which is what led me to consider selling my collection.

The daunting task of sitting do catalogue my collection and assess the condition of each game to be able to get an offer from Knoble Knights dissuaded me from taking the idea any further.

I did lose a considerable number of classic games I left with a wargame buddy who's wife forced him to put them in a rental storage unit [8|] where they were destroyed by water damage [:@].

Sometimes I surf Knoble Night looking for replacements even though I will likely never play them again.

Yea, I'm pretty weird.

warspite1 -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ? (5/29/2015 1:53:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

In '08 in the midst of the Great Recession the bottom dropped out of the architecture business and I spent almost 2-1/2 years unemployed.

During that stretch I gave serious consideration to selling my board game collection.

There is a great source online for out of print board games. Knoble Knght Games, check it out sometime and you will be amazed at what you can pick up.

They also buy used games, which is what led me to consider selling my collection.

The daunting task of sitting do catalogue my collection and assess the condition of each game to be able to get an offer from Knoble Knights dissuaded me from taking the idea any further.

I did lose a considerable number of classic games I left with a wargame buddy who's wife forced him to put them in a rental storage unit [8|] where they were destroyed by water damage [:@].

Sometimes I surf Knoble Night looking for replacements even though I will likely never play them again.

Yea, I'm pretty weird.
warspite1

I don't think that is weird. I know I will never have the time or space to play World in Flames again. But I buy every version, every update, every expansion. These are in pristine, un-punched condition. Why do I do that for something I will never play?

Equally, I bought every HMS/GRD Collectors Edition Europa, Pacific and WWI title as they came out. Again, I know I will never play them and they remain un-punched (except Balkan Front which I did toy with back in the early 90's). Sadly it seems that the latest company to take on the rights will not be bringing out any more games (what a sad case that is) but if they did I would be right at the head of the queue.....

Admiral DadMan -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ? (5/29/2015 4:28:27 PM)

Rhode Island, USA

jamesjohns -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ? (5/29/2015 5:52:13 PM)

quote:

Yea, I'm pretty weird.

Not weird at all, still have my collection of cardboard games, mostly Avalon Hill. Have a bunch of Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader.

Still have all the plastic containers full of cardboard pieces all sorted by nationality, weapons, different types of tanks, so on. Every once in a while I pull out a game and take turns playing each side.

wdolson -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ? (5/29/2015 10:30:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Yea, I'm pretty weird.

I went through that after the dot com bust. Even though I wasn't working in the dot com world, nobody was willing to spend a dime on R&D in the US for several years after that. Some engineers were moving to India to lead teams there because it was the only way to get work. I bought up model collections and sold them off on Ebay. It wasn't huge money, but it brought in a few bob. Fortunately I've never live paycheck to paycheck and managed to make it through without severe financial damage. The R&D world didn't pick up again until 2009.

If you are searching for old wargames, this is a good site too: http://www.finegames.com/

Bill

wdolson -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/29/2015 10:38:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon
Beyond weird. I'm April 4th. John 3rd turned 49, and I was born in 49. Ohh dude! the numerology is saying exceptional things. Aries is rising and if you got a Pisces or Aquarius in there somewhere, your SO is gonna SOOOOO seriously love it.

Seriously though [8D] Kelly. I'm in-country, but out of State in early June. I'm off to Massachusetts to talk with my publisher and then down to Groton to spend time with my sister. Her husband had a stroke, not as bad as Mom's, but bad enough.

After her husband died, Jeannie still rides and does the wagon trains. I'm kinda a go to riding buddy and cuddle pal. I get up your way a lot more than you get down mine. When I'm in the 'hood, I will make every effort to connect. Kin you ride a horse? I mean like all day long?

Ciao. JWE

Aires uber alles. [:D]

Bill

TOMLABEL -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/30/2015 2:55:41 AM)

quote:

Kelly. I'm in-country, but out of State in early June. I'm off to Massachusetts

Understand. I actually will probably be in P'cola and Mobile one day each as I am supposed to be at the WWII museum in New Orleans Friday nite, Sat & Sun for the anniversary of D-Day. Will be back for a couple of days anywhere between Mobile and P'cola Monday/Tuesday before heading back to B'ham.

Oh, you might want to try out Hemmingway's restaurant on P'cola beach. I like!!! Lobster ravioli to die for!

TOMLABEL -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/30/2015 3:00:20 AM)

quote:

Beyond weird. I'm April 4th.
[:D] Well, now, that explains a lot!!![&o]

quote:

When I'm in the 'hood, I will make every effort to connect. Kin you ride a horse? I mean like all day long?
Ciao. JWE

Absolutely not!!! I can hardly manage 3/4 day up and down the Oak Mountain trails around here!!!

I'll be back down several times this summer so....next time.

TOMLABEL

TOMLABEL -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/30/2015 3:04:44 AM)

quote:

I'm off to Massachusetts to talk with my publisher

What are you working on? I must have missed this somewhere along the line.

quote:

Her husband had a stroke, not as bad as Mom's, but bad enough.

I am sorry to hear about this, John. I hope all is well and the news going forward is positive!!!

Kelley

oaltinyay -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/30/2015 7:00:20 AM)

Do you think there is a chance for WITP:AE-CON ? :)

Itdepends -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/30/2015 10:41:19 AM)

I just made my first purchase from Noble Knight this month. Postage is a killer to Oz (must be the wear and tear on the balloons) but oh the games!

Picked up Where there is discord, which i could not find over here and The Hunters. played my first game of hunters this afternoon,bloody brilliant. And as for sychronicity, who t showed up at my door the same day the second printing sold out and the other order i placed the same day from a shop in Eastern Australia came in the same delivery Thunderbolt Apache Leader, lots of solo games as my board gaming group arent into war games).

Symon -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/30/2015 4:57:38 PM)

quote:

What are you working on? I must have missed this somewhere along the line.

A very short hijack, so please don't be concerned. I'm doing a book on construction techniques and differences with respect to English and French frigates of the Napoleonic period. I am doing 'center' models of each, detailing every aspect of the difference. Am making a set of full plans for a Sane frigate according to the establishment. I have a publisher that thinks that's cool and is willing to pay for it.

[edit] BTW none of this could have happened without the assistance and collaboration of Francois Charton (fcharton on the thread). There are so many sources on this forum; I can't begin to say ...
Ciao JWE

KenchiSulla -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/30/2015 10:24:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

quote:

quote:

I am obviously from Canada....that is the blip to the north of USA. Specifically from northern Alberta near mile 0 of Alaska highway. I know there are 3-4 other active Canucks on here.

There are some interesting common denominators in reading this thread: early interest in history and reading (much to my mother's dismay I read rise and fall of 3rd Reich when 12), early war gaming (I started when 11), some model builders, and many ex-military...at least amongst the Yanks. It strikes me that the demographics put 80% of us in the 45-60 yr range, obviously most with post-secondary schooling (I have 2 degrees). I wonder if the generations behind us are here and I'm missing them or whether our ilk are a dying breed?

The Boomers and early Gen Xers grew up with board games and some of the younger of us had something like an Atari while teens. Computers really weren't capable of doing even a reasonable job with a complex wargame until the late 80s. The early wargames were essentially translations of board games onto the screen. As computing power continued to improve, game makers added more eye candy in the way of graphics and real time features.

The Millennials mostly grew up with live action, real time games. Games that require you sit back and think about it a bit is alien. So I'm not surprised this is mostly an older person hobby.

As far as the demographics go, I'm not a perfect fit, but close:

History and reading at an early age - I was always a history geek, but a bit slow in picking up reading for entertainment. My 10 year older sister was reading voraciously by age 3, can read blindingly fast, and I just felt I couldn't "compete". I did become much more of a reader as a teen and always had a pleasure reading book in my bag during college.
Model building - Started at age 3 and have an embarrassingly large stash of unbuilt models today.
Ex-military - never went that route. I knew I would chafe at the culture and I probably would have been 4F anyway (bad knees).
45-60 - Lower end of that range, very early Gen X.
Post secondary - Only a bachelors. Got accepted to grad school but decided not to go.

Bill

Born in 1980 ... There is hope? Jocmeister and Obvert are also around my age I think? Never served in the military but I did qualify as an engineer/deck officer for freighters (got about 330 sea days) before getting a Bachelor of Engineering.

That sea duty is fantastic..Thank you for your contributions..Maybe you should consider changing your name to a more nautical theme so we might remember your experience in that area..??I'm sure it helped Richard Dana..

Haha, don't think I have to.. xAKs and xAKLs are the cannonfodder of WitP:AE....

margeorg -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/31/2015 8:30:27 AM)

Frankfurt am Main, Germany. Never left my hometown to live elsewhere [:)]

rsallen64 -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (5/31/2015 8:38:13 AM)

Born and raised in Central Pennsylvania, US Army Reserves Tanker, lifelong interest in military history, half a century old, doctorate degree (law), currently living and working near Tacoma, Washington, long history of wargaming starting with Avalon Hill in the 70s, lifelong interest in the Pacific theatre. I fit the mold as well, something else I rarely do when encountering people.

GamesaurusRex -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (6/8/2015 1:06:44 AM)

Texas !
Yes, I'm a history and military history buff.
Yes, I started wargaming with AH's "Blitzkrieg" in 1966... which led to acquiring and playing too many games to name...
but eventually to SPI's "War In The East" and "War In The Pacific"... then GDW's "Drang Nach Osten" and "Unentenschieden"... AH's "The Longest Day".
You know the trail, because most of you have trod it... and naturally it led to WITPAE and WITE by Grigsby.
So many games... so little time. It's a good thing they became computerized, else we'd all be dead before we got through the rules. [:D]

JeffroK -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (6/8/2015 2:55:58 AM)

Born in Carlton, raised in the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne in the late 50's so that makes me 50 something.
Lived in Perth (a couple of times) and Adelaide for about 10 years.

First war book I can remember was my brothers "Zhukov's Greatest Battles".

First wargame was Jedko's African Campaign, I was an SPI fan and the only AH game I purchased was ANZIO.
Got an Apple IIC in about 1989, found Pacwar in a discount bin, went to WITP before UV.
NOt a rivet counter, hate those who rewrite history based on the advantage of knowing the result.

Played at soldiers, would have made a crap real one.

The only way I learned about the world was through Stamps, Maps & Wargames, since then I have visited the USA (well Kansas City KS) and a few islands surrounding Australia like New Zealand (Love the place)Norfolk Island and last trip was Flinders Island.

My family seemed to miss Military Service in WW1, 2 uncles did WW2 in 2/8 Bn, 19 Bde, 6th Australian Infantry Division. One served in the Western Desert, Greece, Darwin and New Guinea. A cousin in law did Vietnam and a nephew did about 10 years with some mob based at Swanbourne.

I live in a country town and work in the middle of a 160 acre paddock 5 minutes from home, on a clear day I can see the skyline of Melbourne.

anarchyintheuk -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (6/12/2015 7:48:46 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Just turned 49 a couple of weeks ago.

quote:

Me too almost - April 18th.

Happy Belated Birthday!!!![8D]

TOMLABEL

That's weird, we're only a day apart in age. Same year.

Bill

Eerie. Turned 49 on May 20.

dox44 -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (6/12/2015 9:15:08 PM)

Texas

oldman45 -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (6/13/2015 12:57:55 AM)

Born in 1959 in St Pete Fl, lived in Odessa Fl finely lived in Tampa before I joined the navy to see the world. That consisted of California, Scotland, Georgia, Groton CT and Charleston SC.

Grew up watching Combat, playing with GI Joes then I found AH games.... Out in California I was introduced to tabletop games and that kept me interested for years. In the 80's I found that computer games were a lot easier than painting soldiers. Played Pacwar on floppy disk and years later found UV and the rest is history.

Grew up around men that served in WWII or Korea, the only one that really talked about their time in the war was a guy that had been an engineer in Patton's army and a sub sailor stationed in Hawaii near the end of the war, man he had some stories.

There are some amazing people here and I have always enjoyed this forum.

As a footnote, the one thing I never liked about computer games is I miss the interaction between players at the gaming table. Pushing troops around in a garage swapping stories was always a great weekend event.

Jellicoe -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (6/13/2015 7:16:30 AM)

Cranbrook, Kent, UK

comfortably middle aged life long wargamer. Airfix soldiers and kits, various rules sets, lots of games with lots of counters, assorted PC games - all ends in WITPae

KMCCARTHY -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (6/13/2015 11:12:20 AM)

Maryland. I spent 4 + years at Fort Bragg, NC and five years in Tampa Florida for college and grad school. I work at NASA GSFC, a < 1 Klick from where I went to High School. Karma is funny.

Feltan -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (6/13/2015 2:27:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Born in Carlton, raised in the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne in the late 50's so that makes me 50 something.

First wargame was Jedko's African Campaign, I was an SPI fan and the only AH game I purchased was ANZIO.
Got an Apple IIC in about 1989, found Pacwar in a discount bin, went to WITP before UV.
NOt a rivet counter, hate those who rewrite history based on the advantage of knowing the result.

The only way I learned about the world was through Stamps, Maps & Wargames, since then I have visited the USA (well Kansas City KS) and a few islands surrounding Australia like New Zealand (Love the place)Norfolk Island and last trip was Flinders Island.

My family seemed to miss Military Service in WW1, 2 uncles did WW2 in 2/8 Bn, 19 Bde, 6th Australian Infantry Division. One served in the Western Desert, Greece, Darwin and New Guinea. A cousin in law did Vietnam and a nephew did about 10 years with some mob based at Swanbourne.

I live in a country town and work in the middle of a 160 acre paddock 5 minutes from home, on a clear day I can see the skyline of Melbourne.

If you were in KC, I hope someone took you to Gates BBQ! :-)

Regards,
Feltan

Treetop64 -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (6/13/2015 10:09:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan

Regards,
Feltan

Walks through the door: "HI! MAY EYE HELP YOOOUUU!!" [X(]

Incredibly good stuff, though. Especially after a Chiefs game.

JeffroK -> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition (6/13/2015 10:34:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Regards,
Feltan

Stayed at Country Club, big motel near the Art Gallery. Ate at plenty of steak places.
Walked into Downtown on our spare Sunday, talk about roll up the sidewalks on a weekend!
Office was in Lenexa.

Bussed to Independence and looked at the Santa Fe Trail Museum & Truman's, went to the War Memorial before it was turned into the National Memorial, updated the guide about what took place before the USA got into the war [8D]

Nearly go a car to drive to Denver to catch flight home, if I had another day I would have.

Very nice place.

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI