RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Rainsong94 -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 12:51:11 AM)

To be honest, I've never played any of his Steel Panthers game. It was a little before my time. What gives it such a huge following? Why so great? Can I expect the same level of detail as his WitE and WitP games?

aaatoysandmore -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 2:01:18 AM)

You can bet if Gary does it that it will have detail and depth. How you've never played it is beyond me. It's like one of the greatest computer wargames ever. It has it all. Lots of nations, lots of terrian and above all lots of replayability. You just can't see it very well nowadays as it's not quite the graphics quality of games today. But, when they put the graphics of Battle Academy or Panzer Corp in it then it will be awesome.

e_barkmann -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 2:05:42 AM)

quote:

Battle Academy

Well I hope they don't opt for the cartoony graphics of Battle Academy. Major suspension of disbelief killer for me

cheers

Zap -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 3:55:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant

quote:

Battle Academy

Well I hope they don't opt for the cartoony graphics of Battle Academy. Major suspension of disbelief killer for me

cheers

+1

aaatoysandmore -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 6:03:27 AM)

Well I was thinking really more in the lines of realistic looking 3d designs as opposed to cartoony. I just would like to see some large maybe isometric type units. Panzer Corps are nice too. Not talking about lime green army men like we played with in the sandbox in our youth.[:D] Panzer Command units would be nice too.

Hexagon -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 8:43:14 AM)

Lets see, if i receive 1 euro everytime i read about a sucesor of SP... is not easy do it.

Well, SP was for me the BEST WWII wargame in 90s by far, Panzer General was more popular but as game for me was inferior because SP was the true WWII wargame were game adapt to scale... you have soldiers one by one, every unit has his commander with experience, morale, command atributes... you need control ammo, attack range etc etc.

My first contact with SP was the demo in... 1997 and i can buy it one year later, a gold edtion, i still have the box with the manual, well, curious is that i first enter in PG using his demo and leave SP one year out but when i start with it well, i try find the game ASAP, for me SP demo was one of the best demos y play, the scen selection was perfect... and has for me one of the classics scens in SP... "When tigers pounce".

The strong points in SP were:

1-one war, one game, you have ALL WWII in a single game, same with sucesors
2-you can create all you want in game, even in primitive SP edit units and OOBs was posible.
3-detail... is a squad level game with a ton of details, maybe Squad battles show more detail in weapons (you can leave or take them) BUT i dont remember a wargame that shows you morale, experience, infantry command, armor command, arty command... maybe here Age of Rifles is even more detailed but is other history.
4-The battle generator... i remember that when my parets buy it do it BEFORE end of the school... i install it to "see if it works" but i discover thant you can play generated battles without the CD [:D]
5-Videos, who dont remember the videos??? that Panther moving on the road [&o]

Well, expect they have luck with Steel Tigers, for me SP+AOR are the top of wargames but even today they dont have a sustitute, lets see if they can do it again.

PD: i suggest you find the abandonware original SP version and play it... SPII was interesting but i never find it at same level than SP is based in modern era but i allways find it less "detailed" and well implemented, SPIII was a mix of both first titles + section scale... i find it curious but not a lot interesting.

shunwick -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 9:03:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

PD: i suggest you find the abandonware original SP version and play it... SPII was interesting but i never find it at same level than SP is based in modern era but i allways find it less "detailed" and well implemented, SPIII was a mix of both first titles + section scale... i find it curious but not a lot interesting.

Alternatively, SPWAW is free from this site or WinSPWW2 or WinSPMBT are both free at Shrapnel Games.

I love SPWAW. But I have never been able to play the damn thing. The Artillery Screen Bug annoys me so much and there has never been a workaround that works for me.

Best wishes,
Steve

Riitaoja -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 10:45:23 AM)

I am just happy that finaly after all these years we are getting a true successor to the classic Steel Panthers games. I wouldn't be too worried about how the game looks or if it uses 2D or 3D. What is most important is how the game actualy plays not what graphics it uses. With Gary in charge there is surely no need to worry.

RockinHarry -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 11:07:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Steel Tigers is what you have all been waiting for, no more details for now, but when we can share we will. [8D]

[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]

Best wishes,
Steve

Looking forward to volunteer to anything related to beta testing, map & scenario design...again! [:)]

aaatoysandmore -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 11:17:25 AM)

Yes, I throw my name into the hat now as a "beta" tester. Me first!! [:'(]

Kuokkanen -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 1:59:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Because the original had "implied" terrain elevations anyway to determine LOS, imaging how much better if would be to actually view the battlefield in a 3D mode.

So, chew on that !

I chewed that with Combat Mission 2 and MegaMek. Didn't like it. In case of MegaMek, I prefer it 2d. I play Civ4 and like it a lot, but at times 3d is hindrance: I click on a unit in the map, but instead another unit in tile below it gets selected. Don't like.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 6:25:45 PM)

Much like everything that changes I feel SPWAW graphics should change also. The top down board game look is getting old even I will admit that in my 60's. Isometric of 3d I think is here to stay. Look at Ageod's icons even. They don't lay down flat on the map and look pretty good I think. Hopefully that's the way Matrixgames and Slitherine will see it also. Can't just make the game for old grogheads but for ALL. That means some kind of 3d. [:)]

Kuokkanen -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 6:43:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Can't just make the game for old grogheads but for ALL. That means some kind of 3d. [:)]

Are Unity of Command and Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon for old grognards becouse those aren't 3d?

milkweg -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 6:44:09 PM)

Isn't the game engine being made by Slitherine and not 2by3? I read Slitherine is making an in-house game engine for multiple games and Steel Tigers will be the first game to use it. That means 2by3 will be doing all the other stuff and not the actual graphics engine used. I expect it will be 3D.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 7:27:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

Can't just make the game for old grogheads but for ALL. That means some kind of 3d. [:)]

Are Unity of Command and Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon for old grognards becouse those aren't 3d?

And I don't play or want either of those. [:D]

aaatoysandmore -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 7:28:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: milkweg

Isn't the game engine being made by Slitherine and not 2by3? I read Slitherine is making an in-house game engine for multiple games and Steel Tigers will be the first game to use it. That means 2by3 will be doing all the other stuff and not the actual graphics engine used. I expect it will be 3D.

Yahooooooo scooby dooby doooooooo!![:'(]

wodin -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/26/2015 3:41:20 AM)

My wish list..

I want top down graphics, WEGO\ Simulation turns (this should be the major new feature for SP\Tactical wargame made by 2by3, I also want squad size units and individual vehicles. Campaigns, dynamic weather, detailed damage model, multi story buildings, Cellars, Fortified buildings, sewers, be able to breach walls, leaders, detailed AAR's, award\medal mechanic, detailed unit stats, huge selection of vehicles and weapons, a good close combat mechanic, air support, off map Arty, Counter Battery, well made maps with decent amount of terrain features like walls both high and low, raised railway embankments, ravines, variety of crops and different heights depending on season etc etc, maybe get rid of hexes and use pixel movement this would help solve oddities with regards to terrain abstraction , high level command for very big scenarios so you can give orders to platoon or even company, good selection of SOP's, a good choice of FOW settings\options upto friendly FOW, AI Allies and finally a great TAC AI.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/26/2015 6:51:08 AM)

Nice "wish" Wodin but I HIGHLY doubt you're going to get all that.

My wish is simple. Same game better 3d graphics. [&o]

hellfish6 -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/26/2015 11:30:09 PM)

I second Wodin's list but also acknowledge the unrealistic expectations of it.

marcpennington -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/27/2015 1:13:04 AM)

Just as a thought, I wonder if Steel Tigers should take on a pseudo-Crusader Kings 2/ Europa Universalis model of development and distribution. AKA, start with a reasonably sized aspect of the war (East Front 41-5, come on there is no other option), then expand gradually with DLC for other theaters, all the while (and this is critical), updating the core game and owned DLC for free, just like CK2 does now. That would allow a fairly constant revenue stream, and might make for a lot more detailed and specific theater details as each one is "hand-crafted." And it might be a model that would keep Steel Tigers being updated and improved for as long as many of us have been playing Steel Panthers (aka approaching 20 years.)

And heck, I'd have no issue in a Steel Panthers sequel paying for cosmetic DLC like Paradox constantly releases, for example desert camouflage on tanks or some such.

But the key is to do it like Paradox does on CK2, of always making the core changes to the engine available free to all, while broadening the game through new bought content for those who chose to. I could also see Steel Tigers being a game which could potentially be very successful on Steam--- I mean CK2 came out of near no-where, and it's probably a more obtuse and complex game than the original Steel Panthers.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/27/2015 6:42:23 AM)

Nope, that ^^^ won't do. Steel Tigers needs to keep the old system of "everything" in one package. It's what sold me on the game in the first place getting all the nations to play against one another. Talk about a great "what if" game. SPWAW gave that in spades. I don't or won't ever buy DLC, now on occasion I will buy an expansion. But, by no means will I be nickeled and dimed with DLC. Even if it is the spiritual successor to SPWAW. If it's $60 to $80 out the chute then fine. I'm for that but not charging me for every little thing in the game. I don't buy Paradox's stuff that way and I won't buy this that way.

wodin -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/27/2015 10:25:49 AM)

Unrealisitic I agree..but what I game that would be...Also it's not like 2by3 couldn't do it.

Riitaoja -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/27/2015 11:18:16 AM)

Have faith people. We have the original designers of Steel Panthers and the founder of SSI making the new game. I am sure they know what they are doing.[sm=Tank-fahr09.gif]

Capitaine -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/27/2015 11:37:28 AM)

wodin, it sounds like your wishes would create another CM/Panzer Command type of game. Why another one of those? Aren't they good enough now? I want the tried and true IGO-UGO style, hexes and the like so you can have easily done pbem games with results as soon as you move and fire. I dislike plotting moves -- especially travel columns -- with a passion.

Kuokkanen -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/27/2015 1:44:01 PM)

quote:

SPWAW gave that in spades.

Don't you mean SPWAW - Generals Edition?

aaatoysandmore -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/27/2015 3:02:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

When I talk about SPWAW I'm talking about the whole. I live as a whole. I buy as a whole and some would say I am a hole. [:D]

hellfish6 -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/27/2015 5:32:38 PM)

I suppose I'll propose my unrealistic wish: to have the option to fight out TOAW3 battles in an SP/Steel Tigers type of game (so inputting the equipment and terrain type from TOAW3, interpreting that into SP/ST forces, fight the battle and the results are exported back to TOAW3).

hellfish6 -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/27/2015 5:34:52 PM)

quote:

Nope, that ^^^ won't do. Steel Tigers needs to keep the old system of "everything" in one package. It's what sold me on the game in the first place getting all the nations to play against one another. Talk about a great "what if" game. SPWAW gave that in spades. I don't or won't ever buy DLC, now on occasion I will buy an expansion. But, by no means will I be nickeled and dimed with DLC. Even if it is the spiritual successor to SPWAW. If it's $60 to $80 out the chute then fine. I'm for that but not charging me for every little thing in the game. I don't buy Paradox's stuff that way and I won't buy this that way.

While I agree that it'd be nice to have all WWII in one game, I also don't see that as realistic. The trend in gaming, to include Matrix/Slitherine games, is to have DLC and expansions to add onto a core game. I don't mind it at all, as I like supporting good games.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/27/2015 7:05:49 PM)

Not unrealistic at all. If it can be thought of by me it can be thought of by many. Lot's of people are against DLC maybe not as many by expansions and I even said I'll buy an expansion from time to time. Don't ever forget the "silent" majority also. Having looked at steamcharts.com of many of the Slitherine titles that are on Steam they need all the support they can get I'm sure. I just won't be one of them as far as DLC goes.

Kuokkanen -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/27/2015 7:27:43 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

When I talk about SPWAW I'm talking about the whole. I live as a whole. I buy as a whole and some would say I am a hole. [:D]

If you mean what you say there, it should not matter to you whether or not given game has DLC or not. Becouse when all the DLC has been made, it all can be sold together with the game itself in one whole package which you can buy. I did just that with Dawn of War and Civilization IV. If you argue against that, then you are hole [:'(]

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI