RE: Wish List (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

Toan -> RE: Wish List (1/9/2016 9:49:06 PM)

How about engineering units that can build ports, airfields, and think of it, roads!

Cfant -> RE: Wish List (1/10/2016 8:54:44 PM)

I'm a simple man. I have simple needs.

In replay - if moves, which I cannot see would be skiped, replays would be much shorter
In OOB - mode: splitt units show the coordinates of only two sub units. It's hard to find the thrid one
In battle log - only the first 17 (?) units types are shown

such things. Would be great, if that would be improved. Oh, and a "whole formation move to"-button would be nice, too :)

Oh, and more then 2 sides. Today an ETE is the end for the whole turn. How to imagine that? WW2, a british soldier near El Alamain: "Sir, I have to report, that a german company has set up strong resistance agains a soviet company at the Volga!" Major: "Ok, we won't attack for the rest of the week!" [:'(]

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Wish List (1/10/2016 9:50:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cfant2

I'm a simple man. I have simple needs.

In OOB - mode: splitt units show the coordinates of only two sub units. It's hard to find the thrid one

Huh? Screenshot?

quote:

In battle log - only the first 17 (?) units types are shown

That's fixed.

quote:

Oh, and more then 2 sides.

You are not a simple man. You do not have simple needs. [:-]

quote:

Today an ETE is the end for the whole turn. How to imagine that? WW2, a british soldier near El Alamain: "Sir, I have to report, that a german company has set up strong resistance agains a soviet company at the Volga!" Major: "Ok, we won't attack for the rest of the week!" [:'(]

BTS system fixes this.

Meyer1 -> RE: Wish List (1/11/2016 2:03:00 AM)

It's nice to let one's mind fly and dream about new features, but I think it's a little late for that (or was already late when the game was announced). What I would want is more information about the features that are being implemented, how they affect the game, what had to be left out, see the new graphics, the interface... are those simple needs? [:)]

Cfant -> RE: Wish List (1/11/2016 10:35:47 AM)

Here is what I mean. The 97th Jäger is splitt up in 3 parts. They are on 2 different hexfields. Hard to find them with this info...

[img]http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/19ey647r3mx.jpg[/img]

here they are:

[img]http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/1sx3a6gvlmb.jpg[/img]

One part on hex 30,46, but where are the other two? [;)]

larryfulkerson -> RE: Wish List (1/11/2016 12:18:20 PM)

quote:

One part on hex 30,46, but where are the other two?

I'm running into that same problem and I'm finding them at the tail end of the OOB. I guess that's the default for units that break
into pieces.

Lobster -> RE: Wish List (1/11/2016 2:10:22 PM)

The unit database for each scenario is written in stone, it is not dynamic. So when units are broken down it HAS to be added to the end because when the game was programmed there was no thought about rearranging the unit data in the scenario. Maybe they decided it would be easier to take the lazy way out.

larryfulkerson -> RE: Wish List (1/11/2016 2:18:45 PM)

quote:

Maybe they decided it would be easier to take the lazy way out.

I used to work as a computer programmer and I can tell you from experience that data that changes dynamically is MUCH
easier added or subtracted from the end of a pointed list or a vector list or a bag or some other standard container. Two-ended
pointers CAN be used to put them into the stream of data hierarchicly ( I phrased that badly ), I mean in the order of the
hierarchy as it exists *now* but they are a big drag on code footprint and real-time expended especially when you're using
threads and there can be many of them. It's not only just the lazy way, it's better.

sPzAbt653 -> RE: Wish List (1/11/2016 2:43:34 PM)

quote:

One part on hex 30,46, but where are the other two?

Select the part on 30,46 then hit next or previous to locate the others.

sPzAbt653 -> RE: Wish List (1/11/2016 2:49:58 PM)

If you want to see all three pieces in the formation report, you can scroll down.

[image]local://upfiles/24850/BFE37C1564CE483E84683E87AD6140E7.jpg[/image]

Cfant -> RE: Wish List (1/11/2016 7:58:19 PM)

Ha, didn't know that. Thanks a lot! [&o] You never stop to learn, not even after 6 years playing [:)]

draske -> RE: Wish List (1/13/2016 8:54:33 AM)

Hi all, first of all I appreciate the work done on TOAW IV. As a player since version 1 I really appreciate that this old title still gets updates and improvements without loosing the charm this game always had.

For my wish list:
It would be great if we can get a few extra characters for the unit and formation names. For some reason I always come one or two characters short.
Another thing I would like to see is adding armygroup (so XXXXX) as selectable option. I like to make big scenario's and this often represent HQ units of this level.

Thank you for the great work so far.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Wish List (1/13/2016 2:12:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: draske

Another thing I would like to see is adding armygroup (so XXXXX) as selectable option. I like to make big scenario's and this often represent HQ units of this level.

See this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1730915

larryfulkerson -> RE: Wish List (2/14/2016 12:40:17 AM)

Here's some more things that TOAW could add if it wanted to get more complicated.There's an area for the name of the TF.
And for about 25 characters you can encode the route or the cargo or the day it last was in port or a reminder to withdraw this ship
or whatever the need is. TOAW units could use that capability as hints of where to go or what to do etc. Not just for ship-s but
LCU's as well. Or maybe just the ships and HQ's.

There's the ability to change the leader of the unit. In this case the captain of the ship. Which implies that the skill of the leader
influences the performance of the unit. TOAW could use something like that for it's units, or maybe just the HQ units.

EDIT: I just posted this post in the development forum but then I realized it's not a screenshot and we're talking about this notion on
the public board already so it's not secret. I'm wondering if anybody concurs about my idea. Or is TOAW already complicated
enough as it is, or is this WITP-AE example worthy of some thought?

[image]local://upfiles/16287/3AB8261BEEE64732AE65A173711BBA40.jpg[/image]

larryfulkerson -> RE: Wish List (3/5/2016 4:26:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield
quote:

ORIGINAL: Sekadegas
quote:

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield
Please, add some sort of list displaying the units that are currently travelling by rail. In FitE, it's often a nightmare trying to find them on the map, especially after a longer break between PBEM sessions.

No need. You already have it. Use the dot buttom. It cicles through all the entrained units.

The dot button? What's that? Where is it?[X(]

Did anybody ever answer your question? He's talking about the period button. The button you push to put a period at the end of
a sentence.

larryfulkerson -> RE: Wish List (3/5/2016 4:29:15 PM)

WITE has a unit representing an airfield and it can be moved from place to place and
planes fly their missions from them. It's a handy way to represent a grass airfield used by
fighters. I suppose bombers would need a large flat surface somewhere but it would be
doable. TOAW needs some kind of event or maybe a new unit that can place
airfields at specific places. This would be really cool.

EDIT: This idea came to me from Thomas Harvey. He's smarter than he looks.

rhinobones -> RE: Wish List (3/6/2016 1:08:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Here's some more things that TOAW could add if it wanted to get more complicated.

Larry

My view is that complicated = anal, and I think TOAW is anal enough. For each individual playing TOAW there is a threshold where complication reaches a point and the game no longer is fun. It becomes work. No fun in playing a game that requires work. I realize that you enjoy the minutia of TOAW, others also do, and I have no quarrel with this. Enjoy.

My greatest wishes would be WEGO and hex side rivers, but I have no expectation that TOAW will ever see these features. Fortunately there are other TOAW like games in the making that offer these abilities.

One wish that might be possible is to give engineers a true ability to build. Build and/or improve airfields, ports, supply depots, rails, roads, bridges, tunnels, forts and anything else imaginable for engineers. Engineers need a true function rather just than increasing the rate of "dig-in" and doubling as infantry.

I would also like to see scenarios built where there are no "objective" points which are summed up to determine wins and losses. The criteria for winning would then be forcing an opponent into a hopeless position and gaining the opponent's resignation as the requirement for a win. This is possible, I have made scenarios which use this criteria.

So much for my ideas,

Regards, RhinoBones

Meyer1 -> RE: Wish List (3/6/2016 3:16:51 AM)

I wish we have some information about wth is going on with the development of this game...

larryfulkerson -> RE: Wish List (3/6/2016 3:20:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meyer1
I wish we have some information about wth is going on with the development of this game...

May I kindly refer you to this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4010685

Meyer1 -> RE: Wish List (3/6/2016 6:10:36 PM)

Thanks Larry, already seen it. Not very enlightening thread if you ask me, and that was a month and a half ago. We could use a more detailed update.

tcarusil -> RE: Wish List (3/6/2016 9:43:51 PM)

My greatest wishes would be WEGO and hex side rivers, but I have no expectation that TOAW will ever see these features. Fortunately there are other TOAW like games in the making that offer these abilities.

Regards, RhinoBones

[/quote]

What games are you referencing? I would like to have something to look forward to.

TomC

Rokossovskiy -> RE: Wish List (3/7/2016 3:52:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

Thanks Larry, already seen it. Not very enlightening thread if you ask me, and that was a month and a half ago. We could use a more detailed update.

Yes a kick in the face again is not good.

rhinobones -> RE: Wish List (3/8/2016 12:10:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tcarusil

Regards, RhinoBones

What games are you referencing? I would like to have something to look forward to.

TomC

Desert War 1940-43 you can find it at:

http://members.upc.ie/jeanette.kelly/index.html

Regards

tcarusil -> RE: Wish List (3/8/2016 5:20:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: tcarusil

Regards, RhinoBones

TomC

Desert War 1940-43 you can find it at:

http://members.upc.ie/jeanette.kelly/index.html

Regards

Yes.Have that one on my machine, but have not been able to spend much time with it.

Thanks for the response.

TomC

rhinobones -> RE: Wish List (3/10/2016 12:20:36 AM)

The game is still in work, but it should provide some of the features we would like to see in TOAW. Note that version 1.5.18 has recently been posted.

Regards, RhinoBones

Lobster -> RE: Wish List (3/11/2016 10:11:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

The game is still in work

[sm=00000002.gif][sm=00000003.gif][sm=00000007.gif][sm=00000016.gif][sm=00000030.gif][sm=00000036.gif][sm=00000054.gif][sm=00000055.gif][sm=00000106.gif][sm=00000612.gif][sm=00000613.gif][sm=00000619.gif][sm=00000622.gif][sm=00000643.gif][sm=comp16.gif][sm=fighting0043.gif][sm=fighting0020.gif][sm=fighting0045.gif][sm=fighting0056.gif][sm=fighting0083.gif][sm=sign0063.gif][sm=sterb003.gif][sm=sterb020.gif][sm=sterb029.gif][sm=sterb032.gif][sm=tank2-39.gif]

Meyer1 -> RE: Wish List (3/12/2016 12:27:25 AM)

Lobster, I'm sure he meant the "Desert war" game as being still in work.

rhinobones -> RE: Wish List (3/12/2016 1:32:23 AM)

Lob

Have you given the game a try?

Another nice thing about this game is that the author is in contact with the community. Responds to suggestions and gives information about the coding progress.

Nice to have an author that communicates, no NDA with this game.

Regards, RhinoBones

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI