RE: OT Things to ponder (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/24/2019 5:40:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Orm, I did have one occasion (I got no pics) where there were two red-tailed hawks working like a team trying to catch a squirrel, and there were about four around for them to chase. The squirrels didn't seem overly upset about the hawks (red-tails are among the largest hawks around here) and easily outmaneuvered them repeatedly. One was quite large, a female I presume, the other smaller, either a male or a juvenile. They spent an hour chasing these squirrels around, not with such vigor that they'd be exhausted, though. The next day on my walk to the garage I encountered a squirrel skeleton. There was the spine, parts of the limbs, a bit of the tail but no skull. We do get around here barred owls which are quite large and could easily take a squirrel, but the squirrels usually are in bed by the dusk hour and are quite cautious coming out in the dawn hour. I really hate the squirrels because they do a lot of vandalism of all sorts. I really love the hawks.

edit: I meant to say, it's really difficult to tell various hawk species apart. There's one called the Cooper's hawk where if you get a real clear look at the tail feathers you can identify them. These two hawks could have been among two or three other species, but at one point I heard (and saw) the female call to the other one, and there was absolutely no doubt that they were red-tails.

So you like hawks, eh? Well what is this one? Barred Hawk? Hairy Faced Hawk? Squawk Hawk?

Let's not go there, BBfanboy. Let's just not do that today.

No comment on policy - just a remark on that mustache (and maybe the eyebrows) that stand out in a crowd! [:)]
The posts about identity of hawks is what touched off that syncopation. I have no intention of going anywhere else with the thought.

jdsrae -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/24/2019 9:24:09 PM)

That moustache does have some serious inwards curl about it

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/24/2019 10:32:07 PM)

He has no tail feathers. Must've got burned off some time ago, I'm thinking. There certainly are a lot of squirrels and other rodents scurrying about for him to prey on. He's certainly going to need the nutrition if he's going to continue growing that upper lip beard.

Orm -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/25/2019 10:07:07 AM)

Thank you, Geoff, for sharing the squirrel story. [:)]

Lecivius -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 1:12:28 AM)

So, I came home today to find this guy sitting nice & proud on my fence showing off his 'leet' skills.

[image]local://upfiles/26061/E6D28B2E0D724E078FBC15945BBCA9D3.jpg[/image]

Lecivius -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 1:13:26 AM)

But when I parked in the garage & came out, he was a bird of a different feather [8D]

[image]local://upfiles/26061/2A05F7E501754983BB9D993CE331D0D7.jpg[/image]

Lecivius -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 1:17:07 AM)

We have 3 different types of hawks in the neighborhood now that the crows have dried up. I'm not certain if this last guy was a Red Tail that stole the others dinner (but I think it was), or a juvenile just come to mooch off of dad (like any parent with a college kid is intimately familiar with [:D] )

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 1:51:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

So, I came home today to find this guy sitting nice & proud on my fence showing off his 'leet' skills.

[image]local://upfiles/26061/E6D28B2E0D724E078FBC15945BBCA9D3.jpg[/image]

I'm pretty sure that's no hawk, that's an osprey.

Chickenboy -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 2:36:08 AM)

quote:

Ayup.

Lecivius -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 4:04:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Ayup.

He didn't have the right eye bands for an osprey. They led down, not around to the back. But damnifIknow. And now you have me wondering on the second bird. He seemed damned large for a hawk. And there was a blurb on the news about a nesting pair of Goldens 1 mile away. I didn't think there even where anymore of those around here.

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 6:06:31 AM)

Goldens are not and never have been rare in the Rockies.

[image]local://upfiles/37002/32765B39F04C496EB550B628743FFC37.jpg[/image]

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 6:29:30 AM)

I still say that first one is an osprey

[image]local://upfiles/37002/813B8A061B3844D5B9064BFA81162392.jpg[/image]

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 6:30:06 AM)

[image]local://upfiles/37002/AD3D56145E6C472C93566E55CF62E8B9.jpg[/image]

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 6:30:41 AM)

[image]local://upfiles/37002/C03135B0793F47F7962F439A73B1D9E5.jpg[/image]

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 6:32:29 AM)

[image]local://upfiles/37002/EBD3396FE73C46B7ADE856F7B2AF43BB.jpg[/image]

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 6:33:46 AM)

Please keep your pet fish on a leash so that doesn't happen to them.

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 6:49:04 AM)

Talk about a food chain

[image]local://upfiles/37002/DABD1B9B33834BFDA3B74752C9D22583.jpg[/image]

Lecivius -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 3:41:59 PM)

quote:

Goldens are not and never have been rare in the Rockies.

[image]local://upfiles/37002/32765B39F04C496EB550B628743FFC37.jpg[/image]

Oops , I misread this [8|]

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/07/05/golden-eagles-highlands-ranch/

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 4:52:59 PM)

quote:

Please keep your pet fish on a leash so that doesn't happen to them.

One feature of a newly-built place where I worked was a large pond designed to receive and retain rainwater and snow melt from the building's 6-acre roof. (This reduced the necessity to install large storm drains in the area). There was a shopping mall with a pet store across the road and some workers decided to buy a few goldfish and put them in the pond.

Now these tank-raised goldfish (koi) were only 3-4 inches long but they grow as large as the environment will allow. For a couple of years the fish were nearly never seen in the pond and a few were added each year on the assumption that the others died when winter covered the pond in ice. About 5-6 years later there was a notable school of fish about 8 inches long in the pond. Insects and frogs/tadpoles provided the food, as did employees having lunch on the patio throwing their sandwich leftovers to the fish. There was a couple of Great Blue Herons and even a Green Heron that hunted on the pond shallows.

Flash forward another 2-3 years and the school of fish was enormous, with many fish appearing to be about a pound in size. Most were gold coloured, but there was a smattering of black and white ones. The pond was deep enough that these fish must have been surviving the freeze-over of the pond. Around this time the first cormorants appeared in the fall as they were migrating south for the winter. About 10 of them spent a few days swimming on the pond, feasting, then flying up to the edge of the building roof, spreading their wings out and sunning themselves - life was good! But there were so many fish they hardly made a dent.

In subsequent years the cormorant flock grew larger (offspring of the originals?) and appeared during both spring and fall migrations. Now they were making a read dent in the fish population and a funny thing happened - the gold koi disappeared (eaten, I presume) and then the white ones until only a few black ones were left. I took a job in a different location, but went back to that pond 5-6 years later and no koi could be seen in the brief time I had there. Looks like humans aren't the only critters that can over-fish a body of water! [:D]

So the Gorn's advice is sage - keep your koi on a leash!

Orm -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/27/2019 5:36:54 PM)

Thank you for sharing that story. [:)] [&o]

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/28/2019 12:12:32 AM)

I have seen the Golden Eagle in the migration area but they had a nest in the area. They made the Bald Eagles look small . . .

fcooke -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/28/2019 9:16:43 AM)

Koi and ponds.....

We bought our place about 8 years ago and it came with a pond and maybe 6 koi - but monsters - about 2 feet each. We tried to add to the population, but the things are not cheap to buy, and the ones we added never seemed to show up again. And the black ones may still be in there but I will never see them again - black koi in a pond are like the the grass carp - completely cammo.

We have a blue heron who comes but from time to time but I have never seen it take a fish. Funky ancient birds if you have ever seen one.

Alas, when we bought the place there were no bass in the pond. Now there are. My assumption is that a bird dropped some eggs at some point and the bass have been having a koi fest since. Expensive fish food. A friend and his daughter went fishing for the bass about a month ago. She caught a nice one that became her dinner. He hooked one that broke his pole.

Mother nature is very interesting, but I wish I had the koi dollars back. I was hoping to create a 'koi pack' like you would see in Japan. Might have to buy some fishing gear to get the bass under control.

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/28/2019 10:57:11 AM)

When you clean the bass, trim off the belly fat since that is where the PCBs and stuff like that accumulate. Otherwise, enjoy.

fcooke -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/28/2019 1:23:31 PM)

Crikey - I hope there are not PCBs in the pond but thank you for that bit of knowledge. Learned something - which makes it a good day.

Best RJ,
Frank

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/28/2019 1:59:32 PM)

PCB are/were in the oil in electric transformers to reduce the chance of fires. Pesticides and herbicides can be washed in with the rain if any have been used. They can also fly around with the dust. You can't help but be exposed to them but you can reduce it somewhat. Around here it is mostly natural mercury in the water but some of it flies in from Chinese coal plants. About 20% of the total mercury here comes from China since there are little to no pollution controls there.

If you really want some good fish in your pond, stock it with bluegills. They are delicious when smoked very dry - they end up like jerky.

fcooke -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/28/2019 4:08:56 PM)

A reason to pull out the smoker!

There used to be a lot in there but none ever got above 2 inches. I suspect the Bass have been feeding on them as well. But bluegill jerky sounds good. And they do seem to breed like rabbits. So no shortage. When the end of the world comes I will be able to live off of fish and venison.

I generally hope the world is not coming to an end.

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/28/2019 6:19:35 PM)

Yes, the bass and maybe even the Koi.

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/30/2019 10:36:01 PM)

This is, perhaps, just a statement. For some time now it has seemed that AOL wants to discourage anyone from using their email service. I've been using them since dial-up. I can't even imagine how many places list my AOL address for contact. I do use a gmail account but only for PBEMs. If I had to change it wouldn't be to gmail. I've been encountering one problem after another accessing my emails. The latest you'll see below. All the reasons they give why I might be having an "authentication problem" are nothing but pure BS.

[image]local://upfiles/37002/929C30CB4E2149CD9B4358C004CE9D1E.jpg[/image]

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/30/2019 10:39:45 PM)

They are so nice though, giving me an option

[image]local://upfiles/37002/1428DADC90B444BE935E47774FDF1EE3.jpg[/image]

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/31/2019 2:28:42 AM)

quote:

This is, perhaps, just a statement. For some time now it has seemed that AOL wants to discourage anyone from using their email service. I've been using them since dial-up. I can't even imagine how many places list my AOL address for contact. I do use a gmail account but only for PBEMs. If I had to change it wouldn't be to gmail. I've been encountering one problem after another accessing my emails. The latest you'll see below. All the reasons they give why I might be having an "authentication problem" are nothing but pure BS.

[image]local://upfiles/37002/929C30CB4E2149CD9B4358C004CE9D1E.jpg[/image]

Clear discrimination against Gorns! They even mock you with the tin can facsimile they created!
You must convince them you are not a foreign troll by eating some of them - the trolls, not the Google employees.

Page: <<   < prev  166 167 [168] 169 170   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI