RE: OT Things to ponder (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Zorch -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/18/2019 9:03:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Although I should perhaps say that the female Viking might more commonly be referred to as a 'shield-maiden'.

Could you explain the meaning of 'shield-maiden'? Bound to be interesting...

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/18/2019 9:33:52 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

When do the hordettes appear?

Orm

They appear alongside the horde. If one appears, then so does the other. Historically, only the horde is counted, and then you know the number of hordettes as well. And the reason for this type of counting is because the horde arrived slightly before the hordettes and made an armed impression.

The hordettes are armed and are included in the reserves. Their bows have a weaker pull.

quote:

Orm

Although I should perhaps say that the female Viking might more commonly be referred to as a 'shield-maiden'.

How about some being a "shield matron?"

Zorch -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/18/2019 9:41:35 PM)

Hordettes are not to be confused with Rockettes. At least not until they discover the stirrup.

[image]local://upfiles/34241/11B1E1C8224148F7B6ACFCC2D2C134B7.jpg[/image]

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/18/2019 11:23:11 PM)

[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/19/2019 1:04:48 AM)

Those lovely, thin ladies consume about 5,000 calories a day! [X(]

rustysi -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/19/2019 11:56:49 PM)

This bunch is most definitely 'off the reservation'.[:D]

Zorch -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/20/2019 1:46:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Those lovely, thin ladies consume about 5,000 calories a day! [X(]

I 'consumed' a lot just watching them.

Orm -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/20/2019 6:18:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Shield-maiden - a female Viking warrior.

Shield-maidens might be the origin for the valkyrie legends.

There are some evidence that there where female Viking warriors. And I suspect that there were plenty of them, especially when considering the important role the female had in Norse society. However, as far as I know, the jury is still out on this one.

Zorch -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/20/2019 6:32:49 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

There are some evidence that there where female Viking warriors. And I suspect that there were plenty of them, especially when considering the important role the female had in Norse society. However, as far as I know, the jury is still out on this one.

If nothing else, they could serious;y distract the enemy by waving their private parts in their direction and taunting them in French.

Orm -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/20/2019 6:40:13 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If nothing else, they could serious;y distract the enemy by waving their private parts in their direction and taunting them in French.

At least one saga has it that their naked lady parts scared the enemy so they ran away.

And I suspect that their axes, spears, or swords, might distract you plenty when the weapons impact some of your body parts.

Zorch -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/20/2019 6:47:23 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

At least one saga has it that their naked lady parts scared the enemy so they ran away.

And I suspect that their axes, spears, or swords, might distract you plenty when the weapons impact some of your body parts.

They give new meaning to 'make love not war'.

Orm -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/20/2019 6:56:55 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

Many of the Nordic invaders panicked, having never seen such weaponry. As men fled during the confusion, Freydís, who was eight-months pregnant, admonished them saying:

"Why run you away from such worthless creatures, stout men that ye are, when, as seems to me likely you might slaughter them like so many cattle? Give me a weapon! I know I could fight better than any of you." Ignored, Freydís then picks up the sword of the fallen Snorri Thorbrandsson and engages the attacking natives. She undoes her garment exposing one breast and beating the sword's hilt on her chest gave a furious battle cry. With this, the natives retreated to their boats and fled.

Zorch -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/20/2019 7:20:09 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

Many of the Nordic invaders panicked, having never seen such weaponry. As men fled during the confusion, Freydís, who was eight-months pregnant, admonished them saying:

"Why run you away from such worthless creatures, stout men that ye are, when, as seems to me likely you might slaughter them like so many cattle? Give me a weapon! I know I could fight better than any of you." Ignored, Freydís then picks up the sword of the fallen Snorri Thorbrandsson and engages the attacking natives. She undoes her garment exposing one breast and beating the sword's hilt on her chest gave a furious battle cry. With this, the natives retreated to their boats and fled.

Methinks a little poetic license was involved there. I mean, who would invade Sweden? They have nothing but pickled herring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-WO73Dh7rY

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/20/2019 7:57:07 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

Zorch

Methinks a little poetic license was involved there. I mean, who would invade Sweden? They have nothing but pickled herring.

They have worse things than pickled herring. They have lutefisk (aka fish boards) and Surströmming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

Orm -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/20/2019 8:02:33 PM)

quote:

Methinks a little poetic license was involved there. I mean, who would invade Sweden? They have nothing but pickled herring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-WO73Dh7rY

[:D]

Thank you for the laugh.

Orm -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/20/2019 8:07:28 PM)

quote:

quote:

I think some poetic license is in order when you tell a story that lasts a thousand years.

Anyway. The story doesn't really involve Sweden. It is an excerpt from the Greenland Saga. So the action is taking place somewhere in America. Although at the time no one knew it as America. The Norse called it Vinland, and I have no idea what the natives called it (sadly, my education missed that part).

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/20/2019 8:13:19 PM)

quote:

The Finns might invade Sweden. They're stuck with Finnan Hadi.

Zorch -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/20/2019 8:42:19 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think some poetic license is in order when you tell a story that lasts a thousand years.

Anyway. The story doesn't really involve Sweden. It is an excerpt from the Greenland Saga. So the action is taking place somewhere in America. Although at the time no one knew it as America. The Norse called it Vinland, and I have no idea what the natives called it (sadly, my education missed that part).

Vinland was Newfoundland/other places. The Norse made up the name 'Greenland' after a bad experience with an Icelandic travel agent.
How did the Vikings send secret messages? They used Norse Code.

Zorch -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/20/2019 8:43:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

The Finns might invade Sweden. They're stuck with Finnan Hadi.

Where did the 'Fin' in Finland come from? Is it 'Fin' as in The End?

jdsrae -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/24/2019 9:58:03 AM)

quote:

Vinland was Newfoundland/other places. The Norse made up the name 'Greenland' after a bad experience with an Icelandic travel agent.
How did the Vikings send secret messages? They used Norse Code.

I had a Newfoundland dog once. Speaking of dogs, I googled "Imperial Guards Div" recently but accidently mis-clicked on "Imperial Guards Dog" instead.
Got me to pondering other similar mis-clicks on the interweb. This one turned out relatively benign.

[image]local://upfiles/34194/3546E7E19A8C45BD9F9017CE13718433.jpg[/image]

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (9/5/2019 1:13:17 AM)

If Don Adams, Bob Bell (Chicago Bozo the clown), Bob Burns, Drew Carey, Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo, original Clarabell the Clown on Howdy Doody), and Jonathan Winters were all members of the US Marines, does the US Marine Corps somehow help people to become comedians? There are more as well, including actors and writers of comedy.

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (9/15/2019 10:12:28 AM)

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Everyone in Alabama, run for your lives! Humberto is coming!

Orm -> RE: OT Things to ponder (9/15/2019 10:44:41 AM)

Is Humberto a particularly aggressive Gorn-Kzinti crossbreed, that is on the prowl?

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (12/5/2019 12:18:20 AM)

My brother thinks it's a dragon, I say dino.

[image]local://upfiles/37002/4DA6A7D44AE54BBD914393C0D55A9E50.jpg[/image]

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Things to ponder (12/5/2019 12:31:57 AM)

A dragon? Wishful thinking from a lonely Gorn methinks! How very gornthropomorphic.

[image]local://upfiles/35791/32BC4295B42941968D07910FC0C257BA.gif[/image]

btd64 -> RE: OT Things to ponder (12/5/2019 12:52:23 AM)

GODZILLA [X(]....GP

Zorch -> RE: OT Things to ponder (12/5/2019 11:39:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

GODZILLA [X(]....GP

GORNZILLA! [:D]

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (12/14/2019 4:31:24 PM)

[image]local://upfiles/37002/F8C15F954DD343159637BB26FFD0E588.jpg[/image]

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (12/14/2019 4:39:42 PM)

[image]local://upfiles/37002/466C8BACBAF040CE87E72668CD067450.jpg[/image]

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Things to ponder (12/14/2019 9:58:46 PM)

Always dumb to commit a sexual assault, but moreso with a cop car dashcam rolling 30 feet away and a TV camera on the other angle.
No wonder women think men need an attitude adjustment. Not fair to broadbrush all men with that, but it happens often enough that many men need it.
If I were there I would have kicked the guy somewhere.

Page: <<   < prev  169 170 [171] 172 173   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI