RE: OT Things to ponder (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/31/2020 6:53:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I tried...

[image]local://upfiles/29130/D6E6F3EE28E44AA5A3BF45D42B819D7C.jpg[/image]

... not sure how it went.

[image]local://upfiles/35791/6CC089891EED4609A099407D9DB21137.jpg[/image]

Orm -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/31/2020 7:10:34 PM)

Thank you, BBfanboy, for the laugh. And for that insight. [&o] [:)]

Zorch -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/31/2020 7:46:26 PM)

quote:

I tried...

This is what happens when you try to fail.

[image]local://upfiles/34241/3C838331263448CE890889F7233840D1.jpg[/image]

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (7/31/2020 7:49:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

I wonder why my phone service would send me a text asking for another payment. I made one last night using a phone card and now they send me a text stating that if they do not receive a certain amount of money by 11:59 pm that my service would end. [:-] I think that is a scam just trying to get more money out of me. I wonder if the state attorney general or the FCC would be interested . . . [:'(]

I think those texts are sent automatically by computer. If the payment last night has not processed to the computer account yet, the computer sends the text. If you get another one later, you could ask the company to update your account.

There is another possibility - that the phone card you bought was bogus. If you bought it from a guy with a lot of watches on his arm, beware!

Maybe that is the problem - a bogus card. I bought it at Walmart . . . [8|]

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/1/2020 3:21:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

I tried...

This is what happens when you try to fail.

[image]local://upfiles/34241/3C838331263448CE890889F7233840D1.jpg[/image]

Let me guess - "The Producers?"

rustysi -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/1/2020 3:50:41 AM)

The original.

Zorch -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/1/2020 9:27:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

The original.

+1000%

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/5/2020 4:52:55 PM)

Do you think that Bullwinkle would be happy about this? Or even feel safer if he went there?

Wolf researchers in Voyageurs National Park believe unlikely food source may be behind moose success

quote:

The surprising thing is that Voyageurs has a relatively large wolf population. But, for whatever reason, the wolves inside the park almost never eat or kill moose in the spring and summer, when calves are at their most vulnerable, Gable said.

“We’ve tracked and found over 800 kills of beavers and deer fawns and everything else wolves are eating,” Gable said.

Out of all of those kills, only three were moose.
The project made national news when it found that not only are wolves proficient at fishing, they actually set the fish aside, stockpiling them while the fishing is good and eating them when it slows down. Cameras also caught wolves eating blueberries and regurgitating those berries for their young.

What has become apparent, Gable said, is that wolves prefer to ambush and eat beavers than to try to chase moose and their calves.

https://www.startribune.com/wolf-researchers-in-voyageurs-national-park-believe-unlikely-food-source-may-be-behind-moose-success/571988552/?refresh=true

I also think that they also get beavers in the winter near their breathing holes or when they come out in open water. I have seen a wolf catch a salmon in Alaska on a television program.

But blueberries? I guess that a person doesn't just have to worry about bears when picking wild blueberries. The peninsula is supposed to have a lot of good blueberry picking as well as fishing.

You can rent a houseboat and cruise the lakes in comfort. [:D]

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/5/2020 5:04:54 PM)

quote:

Do you think that Bullwinkle would be happy about this? Or even feel safer if he went there?

Wolf researchers in Voyageurs National Park believe unlikely food source may be behind moose success

quote:

The surprising thing is that Voyageurs has a relatively large wolf population. But, for whatever reason, the wolves inside the park almost never eat or kill moose in the spring and summer, when calves are at their most vulnerable, Gable said.

“We’ve tracked and found over 800 kills of beavers and deer fawns and everything else wolves are eating,” Gable said.

The project made national news when it found that not only are wolves proficient at fishing, they actually set the fish aside, stockpiling them while the fishing is good and eating them when it slows down. Cameras also caught wolves eating blueberries and regurgitating those berries for their young.

What has become apparent, Gable said, is that wolves prefer to ambush and eat beavers than to try to chase moose and their calves.

https://www.startribune.com/wolf-researchers-in-voyageurs-national-park-believe-unlikely-food-source-may-be-behind-moose-success/571988552/?refresh=true

I also think that they also get beavers in the winter near their breathing holes or when they come out in open water. I have seen a wolf catch a salmon in Alaska on a television program.

But blueberries? I guess that a person doesn't just have to worry about bears when picking wild blueberries. The peninsula is supposed to have a lot of good blueberry picking as well as fishing.

I have had two dogs that ate blueberries off the bush while I was picking them. There were so many berries that I did not begrudge the dogs their snack.
I saw a documentary on a nature channel that showed nearly the entire hunt of a pack of wolves taking down a full-grown moose in the NWT. The chase went on for something like twelve hours. At first the wolves could not get close enough to the moose to attack but after many hours the moose tired and slowed a bit.

The wolves then attacked the moose hams, tearing at them to create bleeding. At least one wolf was injured by a kicking hoof. After it bled for a bit the moose slowed still more and ran for a lake, presumably to swim across. The wolves got to the moose on the shores of the lake and the Alpha male got it by the throat and hauled it down. It held the bite for over 20 minutes to suffocate the moose. The Alpha male was so tired it could not eat right away so it rested for an hour or so and the rest of the pack waited until he started feeding before they tried to get any food. After that, the pecking order dictated which wolves ate when.

So between the hunt for exhaustion and the danger of getting stomped by a moose, you can see why they don't hunt them ahead of easier prey.

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/5/2020 5:10:25 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have had two dogs that ate blueberries off the bush while I was picking them. There were so many berries that I did not begrudge the dogs their snack.
I saw a documentary on a nature channel that showed nearly the entire hunt of a pack of wolves taking down a full-grown moose in the NWT. The chase went on for something like twelve hours. At first the wolves could not get close enough to the moose to attack but after many hours the moose tired and slowed a bit.

The wolves then attacked the moose hams, tearing at them to create bleeding. At least one wolf was injured by a kicking hoof. After it bled for a bit the moose slowed still more and ran for a lake, presumably to swim across. The wolves got to the moose on the shores of the lake and the Alpha male got it by the throat and hauled it down. It held the bite for over 20 minutes to suffocate the moose. The Alpha male was so tired it could not eat right away so it rested for an hour or so and the rest of the pack waited until he started feeding before they tried to get any food. After that, the pecking order dictated which wolves ate when.

So between the hunt for exhaustion and the danger of getting stomped by a moose, you can see why they don't hunt them ahead of easier prey.

The fish that they caught were spawning suckers. Pretty good sized ones but at that tie of year, the deer are skinny and the fawns have not yet made their appearance. Suckers are good smoked and then it is easy to get the small bones out of them.

Then there are deer in Northern Michigan that go fishing in Lake Superior . . . [X(]

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/5/2020 5:42:11 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The fish that they caught were spawning suckers. Pretty good sized ones but at that tie of year, the deer are skinny and the fawns have not yet made their appearance. Suckers are good smoked and then it is easy to get the small bones out of them.

Then there are deer in Northern Michigan that go fishing in Lake Superior . . . [X(]

Deer go fishing? I think you may have got hunter and prey mixed up there.[:'(]

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/5/2020 6:31:55 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Deer go fishing? I think you may have got hunter and prey mixed up there.[:'(]

Journal Article
White-Tailed Deer Forage on Alewives
David J. Case and Dale R. McCullough
Journal of Mammalogy
Vol. 68, No. 1 (Feb., 1987), pp. 195-198

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1381075?seq=1

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/6/2020 1:42:51 AM)

quote:

Journal Article
Journal of Mammalogy

Now that is just ... unnatural! Thanks for posting it. Weirdness LIVES! [X(]

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/6/2020 2:16:03 AM)

quote:

quote:

Journal Article
Journal of Mammalogy

You are welcome! Yes, weirdness lives! [sm=character0077.gif][sm=happy0005.gif][sm=happy0065.gif]

I remember reading about the speculation oh how it happened. The deer would go to the lake for water in the spring when the foraging was not too good. The alewives would spawn and then die. The deer ate some that washed ashore, then they started going after the dying ones in the lake.

Alewives are not natural to the Great Lakes, they came in with the Seaway. Then, when they took over Lake Michigan, somebody had the bright idea to stock Coho salmon, then Chinook salmon. They thought that the salmon would not reproduce but they have - at least the Chinook have. In Lake Michigan, there is more natural reproduction than stocking of the fish.

BBfanboy -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/6/2020 3:04:33 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Journal Article
Journal of Mammalogy

You are welcome! Yes, weirdness lives! [sm=character0077.gif][sm=happy0005.gif][sm=happy0065.gif]

I remember reading about the speculation oh how it happened. The deer would go to the lake for water in the spring when the foraging was not too good. The alewives would spawn and then die. The deer ate some that washed ashore, then they started going after the dying ones in the lake.

Alewives are not natural to the Great Lakes, they came in with the Seaway. Then, when they took over Lake Michigan, somebody had the bright idea to stock Coho salmon, then Chinook salmon. They thought that the salmon would not reproduce but they have - at least the Chinook have. In Lake Michigan, there is more natural reproduction than stocking of the fish.

Well that is good to know - from other reports I heard that almost nothing can live in Lake Michigan. Blame it on the Irish and their green dye in the Chicago River ...

[image]local://upfiles/35791/CED978CC4FC14B66B392026F6D6641D1.gif[/image]

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/6/2020 4:13:41 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Journal Article
Journal of Mammalogy

Well that is good to know - from other reports I heard that almost nothing can live in Lake Michigan. Blame it on the Irish and their green dye in the Chicago River ...

[image]local://upfiles/35791/CED978CC4FC14B66B392026F6D6641D1.gif[/image]

Blame it on the zebra mussels. But somethings eat zebra mussels including diving ducks, round gobies, pumpkin seeds, suckers and buffalo . . .

Dreissena polymorpha
What do they look like?

http://www.biokids.umich.edu/critters/Dreissena_polymorpha/

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/6/2020 3:23:50 PM)

quote:

quote:

Journal Article
Journal of Mammalogy

I think we can conclude that no gorn were observed eating dead alewives. There may have been some foraging, but that wouldn't be pertinent to the study.

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/6/2020 3:41:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

quote:

Journal Article
Journal of Mammalogy

I think we can conclude that no gorn were observed eating dead alewives. There may have been some foraging, but that wouldn't be pertinent to the study.

Do Gorns eat alewives second hand?

Zorch -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/7/2020 12:16:17 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Journal Article
Journal of Mammalogy

Are there vegetarian Gorns? Vegan Gorns?

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/7/2020 12:21:39 AM)

Vegan gorns? Those creatures from the Vega system eat gorns if they can catch them.

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/7/2020 5:12:49 AM)

quote:

Vegan gorns? Those creatures from the Vega system eat gorns if they can catch them.

I thought that Vegan gorns were bad hunters. They just can't seem to get any animals to eat!

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/7/2020 5:14:04 AM)

Shades of South Park. If a frog likes a meal, it can have it again! [X(]

Water beetles can live on after being eaten and excreted by a frog
One insect crawled through the amphibian’s insides in just six minutes

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/water-beetle-frog-eaten-alive-escape-death-butt-excretion

Zorch -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/7/2020 6:28:01 PM)

quote:

Have Gorns encountered the Bugblatter Beast of Traal?

[image]local://upfiles/34241/90BFAC154A4447399DBE3846A9CDACDD.gif[/image]

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/13/2020 9:52:16 PM)

[image]local://upfiles/37002/8A5651EBDC444708965BB66ABD31F3A6.jpg[/image]

geofflambert -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/13/2020 9:57:16 PM)

Here's that other thing

[image]local://upfiles/37002/66778186DCB444058D7CF64C93ACD538.jpg[/image]

Zorch -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/13/2020 10:00:21 PM)

quote:

That's why they call AC Alternating Current. It's bi-polar and has mood swings.

scout1 -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/15/2020 3:00:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

She would make a fine addition to your ground crew ......

[image]local://upfiles/13786/95EDD713C43E49AAB4AF81CA61783763.jpg[/image]

Is time to get this forum thread back to its roots ......

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/15/2020 3:36:37 AM)

quote:

quote:

[image]local://upfiles/13786/95EDD713C43E49AAB4AF81CA61783763.jpg[/image]

Is time to get this forum thread back to its roots ......

Then you want this thread.

RangerJoe -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/15/2020 3:42:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

That's why they call AC Alternating Current. It's bi-polar and has mood swings.

Then you want this series:

[image]local://upfiles/52896/77231091D4AE4B88AB5CA674CB722DD6.jpg[/image]

rustysi -> RE: OT Things to ponder (8/15/2020 5:55:49 AM)

quote:

Nah, too distracting.

Page: <<   < prev  179 180 [181] 182 183   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI