RE: Focus Pacific: Release (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific: Release (6/18/2016 4:27:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peever

The CB Admiral Lutzow has just arrived in the Indian Ocean and I must say my initial reaction is negative. With all the extra aircraft and ships in the DEI it seems doubtful that this ship will be able to run the gauntlet and reach a Japanese port. We'll see what happens but I except this to be sunk soon without really inflicting any damage or adding anything helpful to Japan.

In my experience the Japanese player can usually get it to safety, often while doing some damage to allied shipping along the way. Unless you run into an allied carrier group or get too close to Singapore - which has some Torpedo Bombers - it should be relatively safe. Dutch naval attack skills are low enough early game that you can sail it right past Koepang and Ambon without difficulty, and the allied CLVs that start at Darwin don't carry TBs, which means that their small Dauntless complement is going to have a very tough time putting a dent in the Lutzow.

Just don't sail it through Merak, you'll be eaten alive by the mines and CD guns.

Alternatively you can park it in an out of the way part of the Indian Ocean and wait until you've gotten the DEI a little more under control before bringing it to port.

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific: Release (6/18/2016 7:53:58 PM)

quote:

The CB Admiral Lutzow has just arrived in the Indian Ocean and I must say my initial reaction is negative. With all the extra aircraft and ships in the DEI it seems doubtful that this ship will be able to run the gauntlet and reach a Japanese port. We'll see what happens but I except this to be sunk soon without really inflicting any damage or adding anything helpful to Japan.

You may have to be creative. There are ways to get the ship intact and fueled to a Japanese port....GP

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific: Release (6/18/2016 7:58:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

Mine arrived out of fuel, dead in the water. Great.

Larry, out of fuel. Only if it arrives and is left alone for a while. Might use up her fuel. If it was the same turn then we need to look at it....GP

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific: Release (6/18/2016 8:12:49 PM)

Quick patch update - I was planning releasing last night/this morning but Cardas is working on some plane art for us that I'd like to put in. Once that is done we'll be good to go.

blueskywhitesun -> RE: Focus Pacific: Release (6/18/2016 9:33:59 PM)

Check land ID 5548 - Guam's marine def bn is prepping for 610 (Johnston Is.). Also look at 5147 - Guam's AA rgt is prepping for CLark Field.

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific: Release (6/18/2016 9:37:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: blueskywhitesun

Check land ID 5548 - Guam's marine def bn is prepping for 610 (Johnston Is.). Also look at 5147 - Guam's AA rgt is prepping for CLark Field.

Thanks again.

BillBrown -> RE: Focus Pacific: Release (6/19/2016 3:47:26 AM)

French DD class Desaix starts with a maneuver speed of 72 but with its upgrades it drops to 55

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific: Release (6/19/2016 5:55:03 AM)

Thanks.

Peever -> RE: Focus Pacific: Release (6/19/2016 6:33:00 AM)

A few months ago I had started a project to create some unique unit patches for Japan but had to set it to the side for awhile. Now that I'm back into playing a game of War in the Pacific I have renewed interest in the project. The first thing I need to do is get the basic set of patches set up to match the focus Pacific database. The Japanese side isn't that hard to do because they have so few unique unit patches so setting up the files is relatively easy, time consuming as all mod work is but easy.

The Allied side is more complex with over 10,000 unit patches available for stock so converting that to Focus Pacific will take time. I'm also not going to do every ship at least not right away. The first release will focus on capital ships, air groups, and some of the ground units, primarily the units you would most likely actually see the patches for.

Below is a sample of some of the unique unit patches I made for Japan. The air group patch you see is the current Japanese air defense force emblem. I should probably enlarge the emblem a little better but it works for now. The Shanghai patch is the seal of the city and the Osaka unit carries the flag of the city. The purple doesn't show up too well so I should redo that one too.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Y1bb4Vg.jpg[/img]

I'm going to start work on the Japanese side first since that's who I'm currently playing as and as I said they don't really have any unique art so matching the patches to the database is simple. This is will take time doing but the nice thing about art mods are you can constantly update without having to restart games.

BillBrown -> RE: Focus Pacific: Release (6/19/2016 8:02:35 PM)

How is the new patch going? We are still in a holding pattern, but I am running out of fuel. [8D]

btd64 -> RE: Focus Pacific: Release (6/19/2016 9:22:42 PM)

Bill, scenario 75 is ready and Para is waiting on some air art. Thanks for your support....GP

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific: Release (6/19/2016 10:19:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

Bill, scenario 75 is ready and Para is waiting on some air art. Thanks for your support....GP

Working on it now! Air art is received, all editor changes made, creating new files for the patcher now.

paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific: Release (6/19/2016 11:34:27 PM)

One quick hiccup - Patton's most recent scen 75 files has one that is labeled for scen 14 instead. Waiting to get it straightened out with Patton and then we'll be good to go.

BillBrown -> RE: Focus Pacific: Release (6/19/2016 11:34:58 PM)

Great, we had the same problem as you, my opponent did not set No Unit Withdrawals to ON. So since we had to restart, we are waiting for this next patch.

paradigmblue -> Patch 1.03 Out (6/20/2016 12:54:18 AM)

Focus Pacific Patch 1.03

Patch can be downloaded HERE. Please see first post for patch installation instructions.

Balance Changes

Japanese Economy

Japanese resource production has been greatly increased, primarily in Manchuko, Hokkaido and Korea. The Japanese player also starts with a significantly higher Heavy Industry pool than in stock, allowing for more flexibility in early expansion.

Light Industry on the Home Islands has been reduced slightly, freeing up those resources for more efficient use in Heavy Industry.

Thanks to Peever, Lokasenna and others for their help with their insight into Japanese industry.

Japanese Starting Political Points

Japan begins the game with much higher political point values, allowing them greater flexibility in buying out units on the Home Islands for use in additional invasions.

Air Model Changes

Some air-frames now have lower service ceilings, including the Oscar and the P-50.

Soviet Armor Production

Soviet armor production has been extended so key vehicles do not stop production in March of 1942, but those vehicles have also had their per-month production reduced:
BT-7 - Reduced to 55 to 70 per month, removed end date
T-26S - Reduced to 60 from 80, removed end date
T-38 Tankette - Reduced to 12 from 16, removed end date.
Several Soviet heavy tanks were also present as devices, but with no production. That has now been fixed, and some Soviet heavy tank models now receive replacements - but in very small numbers.
Thanks to HansBolter for noticing the end-date on the tank production.

Bug Fixes

Art

Missing atopalpha files have been added, thanks to the generous work of Cardas. Planes like the MS.410 should now appear in game. Some French ship transparencies have also been improved, but may still need some work.

Missing credits image has been returned to the game.

Ordinance Positioning

Many planes had incorrect settings for the position of their bombs and droptanks in their extended range device data. These have been fixed. Thanks to blueskywhitesun and others for the catch.

Guam Base Prep

Units on Guam were preparing for other bases. They now prepare for Guam as intended. Thanks again to Bluesky.

French Destroyer Upgrade Issue

Desaix-Class destroyers lost maneuverability with their upgrade. This has been fixed. Thanks to BillBrown.

Nagasaki/Sasebo Port Build Size

The port build size field was set to zero instead of 6, this has been fixed and the port has been to restored to a size 6 build size.
Thanks to Peever for the catch.

US Bomber Squadron Fielding Incorrect Planes

A single U.S. B-25 squadron inexplicably was flying Dutch B-25s. The squadron now flies their intended B-25Cs. Thanks to Patton for the Catch.

Thank you to all who helped contribute bug fixes and suggestions. Special thanks to Cardas for his work on the air art, as well as Lokasenna and Peever for their help with the Japanese economy.

Lokasenna -> RE: Patch 1.03 Out (6/20/2016 1:07:15 AM)

Alright, that's a start with the economy. I'll re-download this week and see if I can get Tracker to work this time.

paradigmblue -> RE: Patch 1.03 Out (6/20/2016 5:01:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Alright, that's a start with the economy. I'll re-download this week and see if I can get Tracker to work this time.

Great, thank you Lokasenna.

paradigmblue -> RE: Patch 1.03 Out (6/20/2016 11:40:18 PM)

Hope the patch is working well for everyone. Even if you have already started a game you should still upgrade to the new patch for the art fixes.

paradigmblue -> RE: Patch 1.03 Out (6/21/2016 7:13:20 PM)

Focus Pacific 1.04 Patch Preview

Below are known issues that will be addressed in the next patch. More will be added as they become known.

Soviet Air Weaponry Adjustment

It looks like the accuracy rating on Soviet air-to-air weaponry is much too high. Accuracy values will be adjusted downwards so that anomalous combat results do not result. Currently in my PBEM game vs 1EyedJacks, my biplanes are achieving 1:1 and 2:1 results vs Oscars and Zeroes, which should not happen. Current accuracy values are around 70(!). I will adjust them to closer to 40-50.

French Cruiser Algerie Improper Primary Armament

The Cruiser Algerie is not fielding all of its primary armament currently. It's turret configuration should consist of eight guns, two per turret. This will be fixed.

Please let me know what other issues you encounter and I will add them here for this patch release.

paradigmblue -> RE: Patch 1.03 Out (6/24/2016 6:33:47 AM)

The issue with the Soviet air weaponry seems to be localized to one device - 176 - the 7.62mm ShKAS MG. It's accuracy rating of 39 is much higher than it's equivalents. I will be reducing its accuracy rating from 39 to 30.

One of the other reasons that the Soviet early-war fighters are performing better than they should be is because it looks like the Soviet starting experience level is set for 40 instead of 35. I'll be adjusting the 1941 experience level to 40 as it should be.

cardas -> RE: Patch 1.03 Out (6/24/2016 9:55:48 AM)

The 7.62mm ShKAS MG doesn't have such high accuracy for no reason, it's a clear outlier in real world performance in the 7.5 mm - 7.92 mm span. 39 accuracy is actually a bit low for that gun. I can't see any justification from a real world perspective as to why it wouldn't have the best accuracy of all the aircraft MGs.
Note that I believe RPM is the most important part for accuracy determination, with MV playing a secondary role and maybe some fudge factor.

RPM/MV/Round weight values from http://users.skynet.be/Emmanuel.Gustin/fgun/fgun-pe.html and Acc = accuracy currently in Focus Pacific
Name                 Acc    RPM    MV     Round weight (gram)
7.62mm ShKAS MG      39     1800   870    10,9
.303 Browning MG     34     1150   750    10,6
7.9mm MG17 MG        33     1200   775    10,8
7.92mm Type 89 MG    27     900    810    10,5     

paradigmblue -> RE: Patch 1.03 Out (6/24/2016 9:59:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cardas

The 7.62mm ShKAS MG doesn't have such high accuracy for no reason, it's a clear outlier in real world performance in the 7.7 mm - 7.92 mm span. 39 accuracy is actually a bit low for that gun. I can't see any justification from a real world perspective as to why it wouldn't have the best accuracy of all the aircraft MGs.

RPM/MV/Round weight values from http://users.skynet.be/Emmanuel.Gustin/fgun/fgun-pe.html and Acc = accuracy currently in Focus Pacific

Thanks Cardas, I'll collect more game data before I make any changes.

Has anyone else seen performance from the Soviet air force (particularly their biplanes) that has seemed too effective vs Japan, or am I just having good luck in my game with 1EyedJacks?

cardas -> RE: Patch 1.03 Out (6/24/2016 10:17:31 AM)

I have a difficult time determining what is reasonable or not as I got no idea how well those biplanes would have actually done in the real world. The random nature of WitP:AE also makes it hard to know exactly what determined the combat results.

With the I-153 you get a better maneuver value at every altitude(!) than the A6M2 and the Oscar. It also has all of its 4 guns in the centre-line which means their accuracy value is doubled and the gun. While the Oscar also has centre-line guns it has less and worse guns. Finally it has equal durability to the A6M2 and only 1 lower than the Oscar. Sounds like a pretty potent opponent all in all, the only combat drawback it has is its lower speed, although that is usually claimed to be enough for the later war allied aircraft so who knows how important that is in the combat algorithm? Another drawback is of course the much lower range but that doesn't matter as much when combat is joined.

How about a solution where you dump the starting experience on the Russian pilots even further?

Edit:
The primary armament seems right on Algérie for the version of Focus Pacific (1.03) I have? 4 forward facing guns in 2 turrets, 4 rear facing guns in 2 turrets. Now the armour is different from the values I have for it. I have it at a 110 mm belt, 100 mm CT and 100 mm front facing armour on the main turrets.

paradigmblue -> RE: Patch 1.03 Out (6/24/2016 5:56:50 PM)

quote:

Edit:
The primary armament seems right on Algérie for the version of Focus Pacific (1.03) I have? 4 forward facing guns in 2 turrets, 4 rear facing guns in 2 turrets. Now the armour is different from the values I have for it. I have it at a 110 mm belt, 100 mm CT and 100 mm front facing armour on the main turrets.

I may have already fixed it - either the ship file or the class file had it as 3 guns instead of four in front. The configuration that you're seeing is correct.

cardas -> RE: Patch 1.03 Out (6/24/2016 6:42:51 PM)

Well there is actually a problem with it that somehow I managed to overlook in the version I have, but its not with the main guns. The class definition is correct so after it's upgraded it isn't a problem, but the ship starts with 3x1 100 mm guns to each side instead of 3x2 that it should have. It is also the 1917 naval gun rather than the 1930 DP gun (this is incorrect both for the ship class and the ship).

btd64 -> RE: Patch 1.03 Out (6/25/2016 1:25:33 AM)

quote:

Well there is actually a problem with it that somehow I managed to overlook in the version I have, but its not with the main guns. The class definition is correct so after it's upgraded it isn't a problem, but the ship starts with 3x1 100 mm guns to each side instead of 3x2 that it should have. It is also the 1917 naval gun rather than the 1930 DP gun (this is incorrect both for the ship class and the ship).

For that perticular ship, I agree with cardas. It's going in my next update. Para my next update will be late July, because My wife and I are going on a long Vaca and I am doing some research on adding a couple allied CS ships based on Langley. Para, when you do an upgrade, please email me your change log. I need some ideas for some japanese additions as well. Thanks....GP

1EyedJacks -> Gunz (6/25/2016 3:43:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

quote:

The 7.62mm ShKAS MG doesn't have such high accuracy for no reason, it's a clear outlier in real world performance in the 7.7 mm - 7.92 mm span. 39 accuracy is actually a bit low for that gun. I can't see any justification from a real world perspective as to why it wouldn't have the best accuracy of all the aircraft MGs.

Has anyone else seen performance from the Soviet air force (particularly their biplanes) that has seemed too effective vs Japan, or am I just having good luck in my game with 1EyedJacks?

Did the I-153 or any of those older model aircraft really-really have armor? 'Cause right now the Oscars & Nates with their 7.7 and 12.7 MG seem to be having a hard time. If you put the armor on to give the I-153 a better chance to stand against Japan then maybe pull the armor off and it becomes a reasonable dogfight?

In-game stats - not those quoted by Cardas. Right now the jump is 23% accuracy for the ShKAS MG over the Zero's Center MGs and 20% over the Oscar's MGs... Note that the air frame does not impact accuracy in this game so the maneuverability argument that Cardas makes, while probably valid in the real world, does not seem to factor into this game.

-- I53 has 4x7.62 Range 300 Acc 78
-- 15bis is the same.
-- 16m24 is the same.
-- Mig has 1x12.7 Range 400 Acc 60 & 2x7.62 Range 300 Acc 78
-- LaGG has 1x20mm Range 500 Acc 50 & 1x12.7 Range 400 Acc 60

Zero 2x7.7 Range 300 Acc 54 & 2x20mm Range 500 Acc 28
Oscr 2x12.7 Range 400 Acc 58

paradigmblue -> RE: Gunz (6/25/2016 6:15:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

quote:

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

quote:

Did the I-153 or any of those older model aircraft really-really have armor? 'Cause right now the Oscars & Nates with their 7.7 and 12.7 MG seem to be having a hard time. If you put the armor on to give the I-153 a better chance to stand against Japan then maybe pull the armor off and it becomes a reasonable dogfight?

In-game stats - not those quoted by Cardas. Right now the jump is 23% accuracy for the ShKAS MG over the Zero's Center MGs and 20% over the Oscar's MGs... Note that the air frame does not impact accuracy in this game so the maneuverability argument that Cardas makes, while probably valid in the real world, does not seem to factor into this game.

-- I53 has 4x7.62 Range 300 Acc 78
-- 15bis is the same.
-- 16m24 is the same.
-- Mig has 1x12.7 Range 400 Acc 60 & 2x7.62 Range 300 Acc 78
-- LaGG has 1x20mm Range 500 Acc 50 & 1x12.7 Range 400 Acc 60

Zero 2x7.7 Range 300 Acc 54 & 2x20mm Range 500 Acc 28
Oscr 2x12.7 Range 400 Acc 58

This is really strange - I'm not seeing those accuracy values in the editor. I'm seeing an accuracy of 39 for the 7.62mm ShKAS MG, 30for the 12.7mm UBT MG, and 25 for the 20mm ShVAK Cannon. The values that you're seeing seem doubled.

Have you tried starting a vs AI game just to take a look at the stats in game? Maybe there was an issue with the previous patch? I re-installed 1.3 to ensure that I was looking at my most up-to date figures.

1EyedJacks -> RE: Gunz (6/25/2016 6:59:39 AM)

This is from our game

[image]local://upfiles/20162/1D755E3725A844C9BDD35D5FBF408AC8.jpg[/image]

1EyedJacks -> RE: Gunz (6/25/2016 7:01:43 AM)

This is 1 of my oscar unit:

[image]local://upfiles/20162/D7108C39AB394E4DB7EC3C50B056D13A.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI