Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

101Man -> Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control (8/31/2016 12:53:02 AM)

I was initially going to add this to the "Loyang Auto" thread below but decided to start a new thread.

Playing the AI.

Allies in Thailand (August '43) and my closest unit to Indochina is a battalion in Udon Thani. All of the sudden Vientiane (no Japanese upgrades, just a dot on the map) becomes Allied Control.

1) How did this happen?

2) Did this activate those militias the manual mentions?

BBfanboy -> RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control (8/31/2016 1:33:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 101Man

I was initially going to add this to the "Loyang Auto" thread below but decided to start a new thread.

Playing the AI.

Allies in Thailand (August '43) and my closest unit to Indochina is a battalion in Udon Thani. All of the sudden Vientiane (no Japanese upgrades, just a dot on the map) becomes Allied Control.

1) How did this happen?

1) This is normal when you have strong enough forces within three hexes of a base and the enemy has none. The town's mayor sends a messenger begging you to hurry up!

2) Don't know - I thought boots on the ground was what triggered militias. Note that Vientiane is in Laos, not Vietnam, so it should not trigger the Viet Minh militias (and if you are in Udon Thani the Thai Militias should already be on map). Depending on game date, the Viet Minh may not trigger at all.

And if they do trigger, they are poorly equipped, under strength, have poor morale and experience, and are static. But don't give them a long time to fix those problems or the fight becomes harder. IIRC they arrive in Saigon, Hue, Cam Ranh Bay, Vinh and Hanoi or Haiphong.

101Man -> RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control (8/31/2016 1:57:13 AM)

Thanks for the info...jeeez...maybe I should 'cheat a little' (set for Allied AI and reload the previous turn just to see if the militias activated). I have not moved into any Indochina.

And if they did activate, I am doing well in Thailand/North Malaysia but don't have enough forces to move into Indochina (neither can Chinese Forces)

Am I hosed?

Yaab -> RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control (8/31/2016 6:30:25 AM)

101Man, if you put an air detachment with a single aircraft or disband a single ship in a base/port, this will be enough to stop the base from reverting to the enemy.

oaltinyay -> RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control (8/31/2016 4:44:49 PM)

They are opting for the free world and become part of the democratic league etc. , tearing down the wall ?

Yaab -> RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control (8/31/2016 5:19:38 PM)

Wall, mall and the two smoking gun barrels!

geofflambert -> RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control (9/1/2016 11:18:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Playing the AI.

1) How did this happen?

1) This is normal when you have strong enough forces within three hexes of a base and the enemy has none. The town's mayor sends a messenger begging you to hurry up!

2) Don't know - I thought boots on the ground was what triggered militias. Note that Vientiane is in Laos, not Vietnam, so it should not trigger the Viet Minh militias (and if you are in Udon Thani the Thai Militias should already be on map). Depending on game date, the Viet Minh may not trigger at all.

And if they do trigger, they are poorly equipped, under strength, have poor morale and experience, and are static. But don't give them a long time to fix those problems or the fight becomes harder. IIRC they arrive in Saigon, Hue, Cam Ranh Bay, Vinh and Hanoi or Haiphong.

I'm not following this, the Viet Minh were activated by and cooperated with the OSS. The manual refers to a Japanese friendly militia that might be activated (although I never saw it) as a reinforcement for the Japanese side. The Viet Minh were virulently anti Japanese and pro American (not French) during this period.

geofflambert -> RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control (9/1/2016 12:04:44 PM)

I should have said, the Viet Minh were activated by the French (in opposition) and then added the Japanese to their enemies list and accepted some assistance from the OSS.

BBfanboy -> RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control (9/1/2016 1:59:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I should have said, the Viet Minh were activated by the French (in opposition) and then added the Japanese to their enemies list and accepted some assistance from the OSS.

I am pretty sure the militias that activate when a Chinese unit sets foot in Vietnam are called Vietminh too. I will have to check when I start invading that country.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control (9/1/2016 3:51:36 PM)

quote:

Playing the AI.

1) How did this happen?

An aside, since you have a low post count and may be new to the game, but this auto-conversion happens all the time out in the island areas, especially with dot bases. The old timers will refer to the Rowboat Corps. Picture a 2nd Lt., a seaman rowing, and a flag . . .

rustysi -> RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control (9/1/2016 11:11:59 PM)

quote:

Picture a 2nd Lt., a seaman rowing, and a flag . . .

[:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI