Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control - 8/31/2016 12:53:02 AM   
101Man

I was initially going to add this to the "Loyang Auto" thread below but decided to start a new thread.

Playing the AI.

Allies in Thailand (August '43) and my closest unit to Indochina is a battalion in Udon Thani. All of the sudden Vientiane (no Japanese upgrades, just a dot on the map) becomes Allied Control.

1) How did this happen?

2) Did this activate those militias the manual mentions?
Post #: 1
RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control - 8/31/2016 1:33:22 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: 101Man

I was initially going to add this to the "Loyang Auto" thread below but decided to start a new thread.

Playing the AI.

Allies in Thailand (August '43) and my closest unit to Indochina is a battalion in Udon Thani. All of the sudden Vientiane (no Japanese upgrades, just a dot on the map) becomes Allied Control.

1) How did this happen?

1) This is normal when you have strong enough forces within three hexes of a base and the enemy has none. The town's mayor sends a messenger begging you to hurry up!

2) Don't know - I thought boots on the ground was what triggered militias. Note that Vientiane is in Laos, not Vietnam, so it should not trigger the Viet Minh militias (and if you are in Udon Thani the Thai Militias should already be on map). Depending on game date, the Viet Minh may not trigger at all.

And if they do trigger, they are poorly equipped, under strength, have poor morale and experience, and are static. But don't give them a long time to fix those problems or the fight becomes harder. IIRC they arrive in Saigon, Hue, Cam Ranh Bay, Vinh and Hanoi or Haiphong.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 2
RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control - 8/31/2016 1:57:13 AM   
101Man

Thanks for the info...jeeez...maybe I should 'cheat a little' (set for Allied AI and reload the previous turn just to see if the militias activated). I have not moved into any Indochina.

And if they did activate, I am doing well in Thailand/North Malaysia but don't have enough forces to move into Indochina (neither can Chinese Forces)

Am I hosed?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control - 8/31/2016 6:30:25 AM   
Yaab

101Man, if you put an air detachment with a single aircraft or disband a single ship in a base/port, this will be enough to stop the base from reverting to the enemy.

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 4
RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control - 8/31/2016 4:44:49 PM   
oaltinyay

They are opting for the free world and become part of the democratic league etc. , tearing down the wall ?

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 5
RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control - 8/31/2016 5:19:38 PM   
Yaab

Wall, mall and the two smoking gun barrels!

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 6
RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control - 9/1/2016 11:18:10 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Playing the AI.

1) How did this happen?

1) This is normal when you have strong enough forces within three hexes of a base and the enemy has none. The town's mayor sends a messenger begging you to hurry up!

2) Don't know - I thought boots on the ground was what triggered militias. Note that Vientiane is in Laos, not Vietnam, so it should not trigger the Viet Minh militias (and if you are in Udon Thani the Thai Militias should already be on map). Depending on game date, the Viet Minh may not trigger at all.

And if they do trigger, they are poorly equipped, under strength, have poor morale and experience, and are static. But don't give them a long time to fix those problems or the fight becomes harder. IIRC they arrive in Saigon, Hue, Cam Ranh Bay, Vinh and Hanoi or Haiphong.

I'm not following this, the Viet Minh were activated by and cooperated with the OSS. The manual refers to a Japanese friendly militia that might be activated (although I never saw it) as a reinforcement for the Japanese side. The Viet Minh were virulently anti Japanese and pro American (not French) during this period.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control - 9/1/2016 12:04:44 PM   
geofflambert

I should have said, the Viet Minh were activated by the French (in opposition) and then added the Japanese to their enemies list and accepted some assistance from the OSS.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 8
RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control - 9/1/2016 1:59:01 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I should have said, the Viet Minh were activated by the French (in opposition) and then added the Japanese to their enemies list and accepted some assistance from the OSS.

I am pretty sure the militias that activate when a Chinese unit sets foot in Vietnam are called Vietminh too. I will have to check when I start invading that country.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 9
RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control - 9/1/2016 3:51:36 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Playing the AI.

1) How did this happen?

An aside, since you have a low post count and may be new to the game, but this auto-conversion happens all the time out in the island areas, especially with dot bases. The old timers will refer to the Rowboat Corps. Picture a 2nd Lt., a seaman rowing, and a flag . . .

The Moose

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 10
RE: Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control - 9/1/2016 11:11:59 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Picture a 2nd Lt., a seaman rowing, and a flag . . .

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Another Base's Auto Conversion to Allied Control Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI