RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units that are idle ? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units that are idle ? (12/9/2016 7:18:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Oh, and just so you newbies are not confused, you cannot take the Minnesota out of the Chickenboy who has gotten himself lost somewhere in Texas.

I think CB had to move out of MN because Bullwinkle moved in.

Illinois exiled Bullwinkle to Minnesota because the Cubs would have no chance of ever winning a World Series with him there. As a result, however, Kirby Puckett is in great distress.

And also pinin' for the fiords.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units that are idle ? (12/9/2016 7:21:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Stop trying to use lists to find your units.

While the lists will tell you their location, they provides no context.
You need to review the units in place on the map to understand the context of what they are doing.

Idleness is a relative term.

I didn't get involved because I didn't know what he meant by "idleness." I don't have any units doing that. If they aren't fighting or defending they're training or replenishing/upgrading.

Rest mode is the closest, but that still doesn't mean they aren't busy.

HansBolter -> RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units that are idle ? (12/9/2016 7:32:47 PM)

The advice to start with the Allies and possibly a small scenario is sound.

I started playing this game engine with Uncommon Valor which is essentially the Coral Sea scenario of this game.

Then I graduated to playing the Allies in WITP.

Only after getting a good handle on the Allied side did I even attempt to play the Japanese side.

I was just getting a handle on the Jap side in WITP when AE was released so I went BACK to getting a handle on the Allied side.

Eight years later I'm STILL working on getting a handle on the Allied side and have yet to venture into playing the dark side.

The Allies can make plenty of serious blunders early and still recover.

The Japanese side is a fine balance with a tight timetable with little margin for error.

Heap on top of that the complexity of the economy and it basically means the Japanese side is a bad choice for a 'learning' side.

rustysi -> RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units that are idle ? (12/10/2016 3:20:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pavel01

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Another thing I will suggest here. If you haven't read an AAR it will describe a lot for you and you will get the 'flow' of the game better. I would suggest Mike Solli's since you are playing Japan. Its dead now, but you'll find it on page three of the AAR board. Immense info there that should help newbies' get started, and you'll get a 'real' sense what it takes to tackle this game. Remember its not a 'learning curve' its a 'learning cliff'.[:D]

You mean this one ? Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Yup, that's the one.

cwemyss -> RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units that are idle ? (3/5/2017 4:06:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pavel01

[image]local://upfiles/55586/4B359F4FE88B416CA3EDCF064C1AD055.jpg[/image]

Question, unrelated to most of the rest of what's been asked here: What are the asterisks (*) next to unit Type in the table above? I looked in the manual and did a quick forum search, but I must have missed it.

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units that are idle ? (3/5/2017 4:22:51 PM)

The * behind a unit name indicated that it is a sub-unit and can be recombined with other sub-units to form larger units..

Many Divisions start split into sub-units, if you assemble all sub-units belonging to a parent formation you can recomine the parent unit - provided the sub-units are in the same move mode, belong to the same HQ and have the same devices.

Lokasenna -> RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units that are idle ? (3/5/2017 4:25:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Your question is a complicated one because there is no easy answer. There's no "Find" box for the game where you can type in "Which units are idle" and - presto - get the exact info in the exact format you're looking for.

As you become accustomed to the GUI (graphical user interface), you'll find ways to find information that you need, though perhaps not everything you wanted. For instance, with regard to "idle" units for Japan at the start of the game, you can click the Ground Units tab on the main Information Screen. Then you can sort the list of ground units in a variety of ways. One way would be to sort for "Preparation" - which shows you what base the unit is prepping for. You can also sort for "mode." Any unit in "move" mode is "walking" somewhere. Units in "strategic mode" may be aboard ship or embarked on a "train," and units in "combat" mode may simply be sitting at a base or in a terrain hex. Those are the ones I think you are most interested in. So you then, manually but relatively efficiently, check each unit in "combat" mode to see what they're doing and what they're prepping for. Then you can issue new orders for the unit.

You can also narrow the filters to only apply to army units or infantry or engineers or HQ or armor, etc.

So it's not necessarily quick and easy to do what you want to do - the GUI is dated and sometimes a bit cumbersome - but as you become accustomed to it, you'll be able to quickly access the kind of information you need to do things.

Tracker can filter for these sorts of things, especially if you export to .csv.

Lokasenna -> RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units that are idle ? (3/5/2017 4:27:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Oh, and just so you newbies are not confused, you cannot take the Minnesota out of the Chickenboy who has gotten himself lost somewhere in Texas.

I think CB had to move out of MN because Bullwinkle moved in.

Illinois exiled Bullwinkle to Minnesota because the Cubs would have no chance of ever winning a World Series with him there. As a result, however, Kirby Puckett is in great distress.

And also pinin' for the fiords.

Perhaps the entire franchies. I'm not sure he should be allowed to root for/attend Twins games by virtue of his vicarious curse.

cwemyss -> RE: How to TELL APART units with commands and units that are idle ? (3/5/2017 5:40:49 PM)

Thanks!!!!

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI