RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

btd64 -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 5:40:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
I had not heard about Pegasus Bridge.

You git. Pegasus Bridge was the nickname given a bridge that crossed the Caen canal that was subject to a coup de main in the early hours of June 6, 1944. The daring glider assault captured and held that bridge and a nearby one a few hundred yards away that crossed the Orne river.

You really should read up on your military history more. This was a gripping action and a job very well done by your airborne troops.

For the bestest ever version of Rafe McCawley's exploits at "Ham and Jam", I recommend reading this definitive work on the subject. You'll find it wherever fine books and Brazilian peanut brittle are sold.

[image]local://upfiles/6968/74649BC01C8844AA9C7EA64ECCE9EB7B.jpg[/image]

Excellent book. I read it twice before we moved to Ohio. It's still packed up....GP

Jorge_Stanbury -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 7:03:22 PM)

With Tom Hanks you can predict the kind of movie you will get, it won't be "Das Boot" quality, but very decent

warspite1 -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 7:05:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

With Tom Hanks you can predict the kind of movie you will get, it won't be "Das Boot" quality, but very decent

warspite1

Tom Hanks is a superb actor - hit after hit after hit. Who remembers Volunteers and Splash? [:)]

Revthought -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 7:12:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I agree that Saving Private Ryan did *not* glorify the killing of prisoners. They simply showed it. Using that character to kill a prisoner at the end did not show that his moral objection was misplaced, it showed the moral journey that many people make in such circumstances.

And it showed those things without glorification or condemnation so you had to see it and consider it for yourself.

Maybe, but what was actually communicated to me was not that, and apparently was not that to some of the others who were in the theatre with me way back in 1999.

In any case, I'm a man who is an enigma. I do not believe any gods, but I sure as hell believe in enlightenment narratives. As such, my internal moral barometer is, partially at least, aligned to Stonewall Jackson--even in war there comes a time when killing another human being becomes "simply murder."

And for me, killing someone who has surrendered, or in the process of surrender, regardless of their nationality, regardless of what they are fighting for, regardless of what they've done, and regardless of how they would treat you if your positions were reversed, is simply murder.

All that said, I do understand. One of the many reasons war is so terrible is that it sometimes turns good people into murderers. That's a bit of the real story of war that always deserves a telling.

witpqs -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 7:24:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Revthought

quote:

I agree that Saving Private Ryan did *not* glorify the killing of prisoners. They simply showed it. Using that character to kill a prisoner at the end did not show that his moral objection was misplaced, it showed the moral journey that many people make in such circumstances.

And it showed those things without glorification or condemnation so you had to see it and consider it for yourself.

Maybe, but what was actually communicated to me was not that, and apparently was not that to some of the others who were in the theatre with me way back in 1999.

In any case, I'm a man who is an enigma. I do not believe any gods, but I sure as hell believe in enlightenment narratives. As such, my internal moral barometer is, partially at least, aligned to Stonewall Jackson--even in war there comes a time when killing another human being becomes "simply murder."

And for me, killing someone who has surrendered, or in the process of surrender, regardless of their nationality, regardless of what they are fighting for, regardless of what they've done, and regardless of how they would treat you if your positions were reversed, is simply murder.

All that said, I do understand. One of the many reasons war is so terrible is that it sometimes turns good people into murderers. That's a bit of the real story of war that always deserves a telling.

You are saying you want every depiction salted with moral commentary. I think it is useful and necessary to have many depictions to which that is not done.

I also went to the theater when SPR debuted and I did not see justification. I saw "Here is reality. Understand it. figure out how to deal with it." And that helps people to think about how to make a better world.

Obviously, your mileage varies.

geofflambert -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 7:29:30 PM)

There are no good people. Only good gorns. I hope I live up to that standard.

War is murder. Not some of the time. All of the time. We can talk about limiting the awfulness one way or another but we can't change that fundamental. Limiting efforts sometimes yield positive results and we should back them up but you can't separate "war" from "crime", they are inseperable.

BBfanboy -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 7:33:24 PM)

quote:

Let's not forget that the German soldier in question was the "super bad guy" who whined for his life when captured during the assault on the machine gun position earlier and was released unharmed by those same US troops, then came back and gleefully killed one of the Americans with a dagger or bayonet, and then was one of the soldiers who shot Tom Hanks' character. The former clerk who captured him did not shoot him until he started "sucking up" again, and moved toward his captor, perhaps with the intention of overpowering him. The lone clerk, who had no experience with this sort of thing, obviously felt he had to forestall any movement by the numerous other prisoners so he shot the whining German who (audiences were led to feel) so justly deserved it.

The US troops were not the only ones who did not take SS prisoners. On about day 3 after D-Day the 12th SS Panzer division captured some Canadian troops near Carpequet airfield and took them to their HQ. Their commander ordered them shot and they summarily executed around 50 (IIRC) Canadian prisoners. Shortly after that the Canadians drove the Germans back and discovered the murders. After that, there was no "playing by the rules" for SS enemy. They were simply not allowed to surrender.

It would be great if only the individuals who actually perpetrated war crimes could be isolated and punished, but war is a blunt instrument so we punish all who share the same uniform or live near the intended target (i.e. bombing cities or terrorist hangouts). C'est la guerre. [:(]

Hotei -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 7:33:25 PM)

quote:

quote:

War is legalized murder, fire bombing cities puts summary executions during a battle in perspective.
Stonewall also wanted to "kill em all".
That was actually related to Union troops sacking Fredricksburg, I dont doubt he would have hesitated killing them if captured based on his morals if he felt they where committing crimes.

geofflambert -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 7:51:38 PM)

From an outside point of view, one's morals are determined by what one does, not what one might do or not. Defending oneself is ok but does not attain the level of a high moral. Defending others takes on a shine of morality. Sacrifice of yourself for others does as well, even more so, but killing some to defend others is always a very muddy murky business and no universal transcendent truth can be applied. Old Blue Eyes was living in his own world of his own construction; I wouldn't have been able to reach him nor him me.

edit: "Old Blue Light" is the correct nickname.

Lecivius -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 7:54:16 PM)

quote:

All that said, I do understand. One of the many reasons war is so terrible is that it sometimes turns good people into murderers.

You don't understand. I'm not being critical, just making an observation. From reading your writing I know with 100% certainty you have never 'been there'. Count yourself fortunate. I'll not say more.

Back on topic, destroyers were known as the Greyhounds of the Sea. I see no problem with the title, given what little we know of the movie. And I'm a fan of Tom Hanks. His response when accidentally photo bombing a wedding recently was priceless, and shows his character [;)]

warspite1 -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 8:08:10 PM)

quote:

quote:

warspite1

And I think this is where your argument is simplistic.

So you are in the front line. You have seen your mates killed, maimed plus all the other horrors of war. You have heard tales of the enemy pretending to surrender and then hurling grenades perhaps. So what do you do?

Or maybe not, maybe the situation is just typical of battle; one of noise, confusion, fear. You are moving forward in a fluid situation. The battle isn't over, but some units of the enemy are surrendering, while others are fighting. You can't leave the surrendering units alone, you sure as hell can't stop, search them, ensure they are not carrying weapons, and them march them back - you are in the middle of a fire-fight. What do you do?

Those of us on this forum that haven't been there, should have read enough about a subject we love, to know that black and white statements like your third paragraph are just too simplistic.

I am sure your belief is sincere - I just don't think it stands up in practice because of how hideous war - all war - is.

geofflambert -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 8:12:11 PM)

There is no monopoly on being simplistic. If you could make a profit on it it might happen. Nobody here is in it for the profit.

Chickenboy -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 8:15:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

And I think this is where your argument is simplistic.

So you are in the front line. You have seen your mates killed, maimed plus all the other horrors of war. You have heard tales of the enemy pretending to surrender and then hurling grenades perhaps. So what do you do?

Or maybe not, maybe the situation is just typical of battle; one of noise, confusion, fear. You are moving forward in a fluid situation. The battle isn't over, but some units of the enemy are surrendering, while others are fighting. You can't leave the surrendering units alone, you sure as hell can't stop, search them, ensure they are not carrying weapons, and them march them back - you are in the middle of a fire-fight. What do you do?

Those of us on this forum that haven't been there, should have read enough about a subject we love, to know that black and white statements like your third paragraph are just too simplistic.

You're right on all counts, mate.

Chickenboy -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 8:16:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

There is no monopoly on being simplistic. If you could make a profit on it it might happen. Nobody here is in it for the profit.

I am.

I'm just not very good at it though.

Chickenboy -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 8:20:51 PM)

quote:

War is murder. Not some of the time. All of the time. We can talk about limiting the awfulness one way or another but we can't change that fundamental. Limiting efforts sometimes yield positive results and we should back them up but you can't separate "war" from "crime", they are inseperable.

Actually, it's not. The distinction that participating in war is not necessarily murder stretches back centuries in faith, in law and common morality on many levels. War is not crime and is separable, as facile as it is to make that comparative.

geofflambert -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 8:22:36 PM)

I must disagree. You are as good a monopoly as any I have ever seen. Subject settled.

witpqs -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 8:28:13 PM)

quote:

quote:

I am.

Do the two of you have to pay me now that I've quoted your posts?

Chickenboy -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/15/2017 8:35:32 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am.

Do the two of you have to pay me now that I've quoted your posts?

D'oh! I knew I should have worked that into the system! I told you I'm not very good at this.

Major Shane -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/16/2017 2:20:47 AM)

To all. I just wanted to say thanks for the great discussion. One of the great things I love about this game and forum. Debating the ethics and morals of war and the treatment of EPWs is a relevant and worthy topic. I remain impressed with the members here who balance heavy topics with lighthearted banter. Never devaluing another's opinion. Thank you.

And for my two cents. KH is humor,but shows combined arms tactics at its best. SPR and BOB depicted events that actually occurred, in respect to killing prisoners.

Lovejoy -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/16/2017 3:56:34 AM)

War ethics is a difficult question, and in particular war ethic in the 2nd World War can be incredibly complex. For the record, I don't think that SPR glorified or positively displayed the shooting of prisoners. Indeed, I feel that it try to display the fact that even american personnel did such things. It's not pretty, but it is the truth, and I think in SPR's case it was enough to simply depict it as I would be hard pressed to name an American movie before it that depicted Americans doing such things, at least in World War II.

As to the moral dilemma, having not been in the armed forces or ever in a war, I don't feel qualified to really comment aside from a single observation. Many of the prisoners who were shot either in captivity or attempting to surrender by the western allies were in the SS, which had a reputation of its own for brutality. So to a certain extent, I think that there was a "they earned it" mentality in the minds of allied soldiers.

Revthought -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/16/2017 3:02:33 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

You are saying you want every depiction salted with moral commentary. I think it is useful and necessary to have many depictions to which that is not done.

I also went to the theater when SPR debuted and I did not see justification. I saw "Here is reality. Understand it. figure out how to deal with it." And that helps people to think about how to make a better world.

Every depiction does come with moral commentary. Like ideology it attaches itself everywhere. And my version of moral commentary is just depicting something the way it actually is.

So, like in Band of Brothers or Letters From Iwo Jima, there are Americans killing POWs. In both cases time was spent to show those POWs as human beings who had a lot in common with the Americans who were killing them.

In Band of Brothers, which was longer form, great care was taken to show that:

1. The person who murdered the POWs made the decision based on the psychological trauma of war, not because a guy promised to surrender and showed back up in a German uniform fighting Americans again, and not just because the prisoners he killed had fought Americans;

2. The person who murdered the POWs was traumatized by his decision to do so;

3. Others who served with the person were traumatized by the act; and

4. Ultimately, the person who killed the POWs is painstakingly redeemed

At no point in that story arc was the complexity of war or the moral situation left out. The moral commentary, such that it exists, is present only in as much as the series shows some of the reality that is the killing of POWs.

Really I think the context changes how a film maker should tell such stories. For instance, with an American film, for an American audience telling the story of American soldiers in the Second World War, it is much more difficult for that audience to empathize with the German or Japanese POW.

I will say this, I think if you were to make a film of the Malmedy massacre where the German soldiers were portrayed in a similar way, and the killing of Allied POWs was even vaguely justified in the film narrative, you would have many, many people upset. And rightly so I think.

In any case, I do not think we necessarily disagree. I think, if anything, I am merely painting with a finer brush.

John 3rd -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/16/2017 4:03:20 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

They missed the chance to make a WWII movie about a young DD captain who's killed in a kamikaze attack off Okinawa. Henry Fonda could've played the lead role in Captain Roberts.

P.S. I know that Dunkirk and Pegasus Bridge (and lots of other places) are great material for movie-making in the hands of the right people, but too often the material doesn't end up in the hands of the right people and we end up with TBTSNBN, Cold Mountain, Dances with Wolves, Kelly's Heroes, etc.

Again with the Kelly's Heroes digs? So many negative vibes, man.

"There you gooooo...MORE negative waves!"

rustysi -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/16/2017 11:10:37 PM)

quote:

Kelly's Heroes,

One if my favorite comedies of all time. I thought the cast was great. Never intended to be a serious war film.

rustysi -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/16/2017 11:11:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

Pearl Harbor is still da best.

best

[:D][sm=00000280.gif][sm=00000289.gif][sm=00000280.gif][:D]

rustysi -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/16/2017 11:13:27 PM)

D'oh, that's it !!! I just had an epiphany, TMTSNBN was a comedy.[:D]

witpqs -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/16/2017 11:35:34 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Every depiction does come with moral commentary. Like ideology it attaches itself everywhere. And my version of moral commentary is just depicting something the way it actually is.

So, like in Band of Brothers or Letters From Iwo Jima, there are Americans killing POWs. In both cases time was spent to show those POWs as human beings who had a lot in common with the Americans who were killing them.

1. The person who murdered the POWs made the decision based on the psychological trauma of war, not because a guy promised to surrender and showed back up in a German uniform fighting Americans again, and not just because the prisoners he killed had fought Americans;

At no point in that story arc was the complexity of war or the moral situation left out. The moral commentary, such that it exists, is present only in as much as the series shows some of the reality that is the killing of POWs.

Really I think the context changes how a film maker should tell such stories. For instance, with an American film, for an American audience telling the story of American soldiers in the Second World War, it is much more difficult for that audience to empathize with the German or Japanese POW.

I will say this, I think if you were to make a film of the Malmedy massacre where the German soldiers were portrayed in a similar way, and the killing of Allied POWs was even vaguely justified in the film narrative, you would have many, many people upset. And rightly so I think.

In any case, I do not think we necessarily disagree. I think, if anything, I am merely painting with a finer brush.

No, I think we do disagree. I think it is useful to have such incidents shown without adding those things. I am not saying always refrain from adding those things. But definitely requiring that they always be included is not helpful. If we always do the thinking for other people they will neither learn to think nor be practiced at it.

wdolson -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/17/2017 6:25:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

D'oh, that's it !!! I just had an epiphany, TMTSNBN was a comedy.[:D]

Someone could give it the Mystery Science 3000 treatment

Bill

warspite1 -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/17/2017 6:48:10 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, I think we do disagree. I think it is useful to have such incidents shown without adding those things. I am not saying always refrain from adding those things. But definitely requiring that they always be included is not helpful. If we always do the thinking for other people they will neither learn to think nor be practiced at it.
warspite1

Indeed. We don't always need to show that the person taking such action is traumatised by it.

Indeed showing that all participants are traumatised can be misleading and another example of airbrushing history. It's like saying "hey guys we did this too, but unlike the Germans we were really sorry".

Going back to the example of SS troops in Normandy. How many troops would have felt they had done something bad? Human nature being what it is, I suspect there would be a range of emotions from individual to individual. But given La Paradis, Wormhoudt and other incidents, I would not necessarily think badly of a soldier who didn't feel like crying because he had just ended the life of a piece of SS scum.

My uncle was early 20's by 1944 (he joined up at the time of Munich). He had only recently been married and with a baby daughter that he had hardly seen. He witnessed a Lt in his battalion get decapitated by a shell.

I can't begin to understand - much less be critical of - his thinking during that battle. Did he personally kill any Germans? Sadly I never got to speak to him adult to adult - although I don't know if he would have told me anyway. He never appeared troubled by what happened (although who knows what goes on inside someone's head) but does that make him bad, does that make him a murderer - or an accomplice to murder? No I don't think it does, not for a minute.

He was there to do a job - a job he never asked to do (but when his country was in danger he didn't hesitate to enlist). He was just a normal guy from London, from a close-knit family, brought up in poverty our generation can't comprehend. Having been wounded twice during the war, he came through it minus a leg (courtesy of a landmine near Hamburg). He had a steady job after the war and rose through the ranks to become middle-ranking management, he got married during the war and ultimately had two children. He made the London Evening Standard front page when he was mugged (shows how times have changed - mugging is an everyday occurance) by some low life. Although the brief case he carried had nothing of value in it - and he was fighting with a false leg attached - he refused to let his attacker take the brief case out of principal!

Yep, an ordinary, law-abiding family man who did his duty. What happened at Hill 112 does not make any difference to me.

Apollo11 -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/17/2017 7:47:15 AM)

Hi all,

quote:

The book the movie is based on was fiction written by a Brit, but about the captain of the fictional ship "USS Keeling" operating in the Atlantic. Whether in the movie "Greyhound" is the fictional name of the fictional ship is unclear at this point. Looks like the kind of thing actors like because it's all about his character. Being fiction, the name of the ship doesn't much matter except as an artistic device. It could be a nickname. It could derive from part of the action in the film. As long as they don't portray the ship as a Romulan Bird of Prey I'm ok. The book "The Good Shepherd" sounds like a good story so give it a chance.

Rumor has it it is this book:

[image]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e3/GoodShepherd.jpg[/image]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_Shepherd_(novel)

If that is true it will be WWII Atlantic...

BTW, I am still patiently waiting (30+ years for me) for the movies from two great books:

Bomber
by Len Deighton

[image]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/16/BomberNovel.jpg[/image]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomber_(novel)

HMS Ulysses
by Alistair MacLean

[image]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/HMSUlyssesCover2.jpg[/image]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ulysses_(novel)

Leo "Apolo11"

warspite1 -> RE: OT: New Tom Hanks WWII Destroyer movie "Greyhound" is, apparently, in the making! (2/17/2017 7:52:09 AM)

Anyways....on to more important stuff.

The BBC have made a 5-part mini-series based on Len Deighton's SS-GB and it starts this Sunday - Huzzah!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1gFzPFGN3LBfLH31vHsPPS8/alt-britain-how-ss-gb-turned-london-nazi

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI