RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

ny59giants -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/17/2017 8:40:21 AM)

China - I usually have to leap frog BFs from way up north to get those fighters down to Chungking area. At least to Lanchow area. I send a handful of AA units from Ledo across the mountains to Kunming and beyond. It takes a while, but it will make his bombers fly higher and be less effective. AVG groups upgrade to P-39s and/or P-40s so those H81 planes can go to Chinese airgroups.

India - At least 2 SBD groups go here via Cape Town. The Swordfish and Vildebeest are great, but these guys will keep him honest. The two PBY groups in Philippines eventually end up here as the small 6 plane Catalina groups are too small to cover all that water. I like to send the B-17D from Philippines here as well. They can actually hit Sian area from Ledo. Or from Changsha to Shanghai (or Takao).

American CVs - I place an 18 plane Marine fighter group on each ASAP. After the Jan 1st USN fighter re-sizing, you will have 45 fighter planes on each. Survivability is the word here!!

Good hunting, sir!!

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/17/2017 10:00:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

China - I usually have to leap frog BFs from way up north to get those fighters down to Chungking area. At least to Lanchow area. I send a handful of AA units from Ledo across the mountains to Kunming and beyond. It takes a while, but it will make his bombers fly higher and be less effective. AVG groups upgrade to P-39s and/or P-40s so those H81 planes can go to Chinese airgroups.

India - At least 2 SBD groups go here via Cape Town. The Swordfish and Vildebeest are great, but these guys will keep him honest. The two PBY groups in Philippines eventually end up here as the small 6 plane Catalina groups are too small to cover all that water. I like to send the B-17D from Philippines here as well. They can actually hit Sian area from Ledo. Or from Changsha to Shanghai (or Takao).

American CVs - I place an 18 plane Marine fighter group on each ASAP. After the Jan 1st USN fighter re-sizing, you will have 45 fighter planes on each. Survivability is the word here!!

Good hunting, sir!!

Thanks for the tips. I'm definitely going to be using off-map a lot, and mainly through Cape Town. I like the flexibility there of being able to send to India, DEI or OZ in the first months. I've already assigned some 2E USAAF units, some fighters and some AA and CD guns to travel and I'll then assess where they might be best placed.

Like sending the SBD groups. Not much they're going to do in the Pacific for the next six months so why not?

I plan to withdraw a bunch of Chinese air groups and consolidate into functional units, and I may take the option to use some P-39s here in the AVG and distribute the H81. I won't send in AA though as it uses too much supply. I'll be killing off some Chinese units intentionally to limit supply needs and also trying to fly some in over the hump. Bombing from Ledo will be an option, but it's also a very vulnerable position once he has Burma.

This time I'll build forts VERY selectively in China. The x3 territory is enough most places, and bases can be bombed out of supply, rendering forts there less effective anyway.

Macclan5 -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/17/2017 11:22:07 AM)

Subscribed... [:D]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/17/2017 2:16:01 PM)

I'll try to also get as many Chinese air units as I can to india rather than keeping them in China.

The secure area should allow them to train while not using Chinese supply.

HansBolter -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/17/2017 2:33:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

I'll try to also get as many Chinese air units as I can to india rather than keeping them in China.

The secure area should allow them to train while not using Chinese supply.

I do the same. It also puts them at bases with sufficient supply to allow for reinforcements and upgrades

Lecivius -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/17/2017 3:01:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Mind you, whenever they ask me something and I want to confuse them, I just say

"That a negative on that trajectory Ben (or Sammy)"

That only works until you educate them on the classic movies from the 80's... Something I'm slowly doing with my son as he gets older. Current target is Indiana Jones movies.. then probably Young Guns. Spaceballs, Princess Bride, Star Wars and Monty Python's Holy Grail already indoctrinated.

What about Da Boys?!!??

[image]local://upfiles/26061/C23BCADAE7814FBFA10A7C190BAEEAF6.jpg[/image]

Bif1961 -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/18/2017 12:10:14 AM)

The Three Stooges were nominated for an Oscar for one of their shorts "Men in Black." Calling Doctor Howard, Doctor Fine, Doctor Howard.

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/18/2017 8:01:19 AM)

December 7, 1941

GAME ON!!

PACIFIC: Lowpe goes for a historic opening. His strike at Pearl is a good one. Pennsylvania suffers a magazine explosion. There are a lot of 800kg bomb hits. A lot of multiple torpedo and bomb hits so I fear these BBs will be out for quite a while. Or wrecked completely after a day 2 follow-on strike. We'll see.

He made one interesting choice I've not seen a lot before. A few groups of Vals strat bombed the city. Interested to see what happened. This is a sure sign the West Coast will not be a second tier target later. So I can cross that off the list and send any free troops and air groups out immediately. [:)]

If he does go again Flak will be a factor, but I'll also try to encourage them to hit targets at sea rather than in port by launching some low value shipping around the Hawaiian Islands.

SUBS: The I-157 takes out the KXI, which sucks. Love the Dutch subs in the beginning.

INDIA: Got a few units organised. I forgot how little is here in the beginning! A lot of stuff from ConUS will be heading here.

PI: The port strikes hurt the sub fleet pretty badly at Manila, with two sunk and another ten hit. Lots of 800kg bombs again. The P-40s took a big hit too, so I may just try to get them out an re-group in Java.

One small success was B-17Ds bombing from 1k against shipping. Got two hits on an AK with troops aboard. Always nice. [:)]

CHINA: The Chinese head for the hills.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 7, 41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub vs Sub: SS I-157 attacking SS KXI at 53,75 - near Kota Bharu

Japanese Ships
SS I-157

Allied Ships
SS KXI, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

SS I-157 launches 2 torpedoes at 2,000 yards

Morning Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 106 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 35 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 106
B5N2 Kate x 144
D3A1 Val x 131

Allied aircraft
P-40B Warhawk x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 4 damaged
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed by flak

B5N2 Kate: 13 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 2 destroyed by flak

D3A1 Val: 6 damaged
D3A1 Val: 2 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
P-40B Warhawk: 1 damaged
SBD-1 Dauntless: 1 destroyed on ground
PBY-5 Catalina: 3 destroyed on ground
A-20A Havoc: 1 destroyed on ground
B-18A Bolo: 3 destroyed on ground
O-47A: 1 destroyed on ground
C-33: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
BB California, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 2, on fire
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 3, heavy damage
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 11, Torpedo hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

DD Ralph Talbot, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Helena, Torpedo hits 1
CA San Francisco, Bomb hits 2
CL St. Louis, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 3
DM Gamble, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
CL Honolulu, Bomb hits 1
DM Preble, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
AV Tangier, Torpedo hits 1
CL Detroit, Torpedo hits 1
CA New Orleans, Bomb hits 1

Repair Shipyard hits 7
Airbase hits 47
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 72
Port hits 19
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x A6M2 Zero bombing from 9000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 60 kg GP Bomb
3 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
City Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb [&:] City attack? Strat bombing PH? Never seen that before. Curious to see if there is some effect.
27 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
Port Attack: 1 x 800 kg AP Bomb
18 x A6M2 Zero bombing from 9000 feet
5 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
City Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
26 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Port Attack: 1 x 45cm Type 91 Torp
8 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
17 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
18 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 10000 feet
9 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
Port Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
18 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
14 x A6M2 Zero bombing from 9000 feet
27 x D3A1 Val bombing from 9000 feet
Airfield Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
27 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
27 x D3A1 Val bombing from 9000 feet
Airfield Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
27 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
6 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
3 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
4 x A6M2 Zero bombing from 9000 feet
Airfield Attack: 1 plane(s) with no ordnance [:D] Forgot to load up?
7 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
6 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'

CAP engaged:
18th PG/73rd PS with P-40B Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 12 minutes

Magazine explodes on BB Pennsylvania

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 40
G3M2 Nell x 36
G4M1 Betty x 81

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 2 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 2 destroyed, 5 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 5 destroyed on ground
PBY-4 Catalina: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
TK Gertrude Kellogg, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
SS S-40, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
AV Langley, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
SS Sturgeon, Bomb hits 1
SS Spearfish, Bomb hits 1
SS Swordfish, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS Skipjack, Bomb hits 1
SS Seawolf, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS Saury, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk

SS Stingray, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
SS Tarpon, Bomb hits 1
SS Searaven, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS Sculpin, Bomb hits 1
xAKL Anakan, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires

Allied ground losses:
20 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 8
Runway hits 60
Port hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 8000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
26 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 8000 feet

CAP engaged:
24th PG/17th PS with P-40E Warhawk (3 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 9000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 97 minutes

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid spotted at 8 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 18

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAKL Dona Nati, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AVD Childs, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAP Rochambeau, Bomb hits 1
SS S-41, Bomb hits 1
SS Salmon, Bomb hits 1
SS Sealion, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk

Port hits 1
Port fuel hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 8000 feet *
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Taytay at 75,82

Raid spotted at 6 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Allied aircraft
OS2U-3 Kingfisher x 3

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Fubuki, Bomb hits 2, on fire

Japanese ground losses:
71 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x OS2U-3 Kingfisher bombing from 100 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 lb SAP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Laoag at 81,72

Raid spotted at 8 NM, estimated altitude 2,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-17D Fortress x 7

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
xAK Nagara Maru, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires

Japanese ground losses:
299 casualties reported
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 22 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x B-17D Fortress bombing from 1000 feet
Naval Attack: 4 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

[image]local://upfiles/37283/2FB0C009D94346EAB35FEA7287D19545.jpg[/image]

SqzMyLemon -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/18/2017 8:33:18 AM)

You'd have to confirm with Lowpe, but I don't think he targeted city. Perhaps DBB has changed something in the targeting? In my current game with Francois, I was 100% port strike with KB against Manila and had 20-30 aircraft target the city. I remember watching the replays in both of my starts against Francois during Pearl and Manila strikes, and thinking I'd never seen so many city attacks on 100% port attack.

ny59giants -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/18/2017 8:59:11 AM)

Pearl - I'm usually more concerned about the damage to my CA/CLs. After KB clears the area I often send two modern CLs and 4 DDs to Aleutians (Dutch Harbor). S-Boats from West Coast go up north, too.

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/18/2017 10:25:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

You'd have to confirm with Lowpe, but I don't think he targeted city. Perhaps DBB has changed something in the targeting? In my current game with Francois, I was 100% port strike with KB against Manila and had 20-30 aircraft target the city. I remember watching the replays in both of my starts against Francois during Pearl and Manila strikes, and thinking I'd never seen so many city attacks on 100% port attack.

Interesting. I guess some of this did happen at Pearl, but maybe it is a DBB thing. I'll be interested to see in the turn whether it did something.

To bad it if it's in doubt whether it's intentional. I'd like to confirm that he won't go West Coast.

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/18/2017 10:30:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Pearl - I'm usually more concerned about the damage to my CA/CLs. After KB clears the area I often send two modern CLs and 4 DDs to Aleutians (Dutch Harbor). S-Boats from West Coast go up north, too.

The BBs are a lot of points and they are so useful in 43. I don't care too much about the USN in 42 in terms of surface fights. I won't be sending the cruisers to the Aleutians. That is not a place I want to fight him. Much closer to his repair yards than to mine, plus at this point it's all about the KB anyway. If the KB is not there then some DBs will be a decent option. If the KB does come, then nothing is going to stop him anyway.

Subs will be aggressive early in spite of the torpedoes. I'd like to see the progression of his ASW forces improving and learn how to operate against his resource routes.

A bunch of the S-boats are going to head to the indian Ocean. I'll send more to the DEI.

Sauvequipeut -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/18/2017 12:38:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

They happen during AI Pearl Harbor strikes too...not sure, but I think these 'City attacks' represent hits on the Repair Shipyard

Lokasenna -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/18/2017 2:54:06 PM)

The "City attack" when on port strike is against RepSy.

T Rav -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/19/2017 2:14:27 AM)

Just a lurker and will watch Lowpe as well. It helps for all of us trying to grapple with this monster of a game. OPSEC will be maintained, as this is likely my last post. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/20/2017 10:19:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

The "City attack" when on port strike is against RepSy.

Great. I'll check what's been damaged there.

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/20/2017 11:42:38 AM)

PH

The BBs took some significant damage, but West Virginia is virtually unscathed, which is good, and a few others will be operational within a few months if there is no follow on strike. With upgrades factored in some of the BBs might be out for up to 700+ turns. Ouch! It's to be expected though, and it looks like only Tennessee and Oklahoma are that roughed up. California and Tennessee have those long 210 turn upgrades plus a few 60 day early upgrades, so lots of time in port. Just saving them up for 44! [:)]

Arizona and Nevada should be with the fleet in about 4 months after their first upgrade.

I've sent a few old DDs KB hunting and to soak any naval strikes so that a secondary hit on PH might get diverted if he sets them naval/port. They should run out and come back under air cover, but if their ops get used could end u out on a limb too. Not enough fighters at this point are operational to set a LR CAP. Everything must be on 0 hex CAP over the port and shipyards.

All cruisers and the one operational BB, the West Virginia, will stay in port.

The shipyards were hit for 13 points of damage during the strike.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/6554E84102CB4106969EA9C2A67C5B90.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/20/2017 12:12:32 PM)

Manila

The Manila strikes roughed up the sub fleet, but a lot are still completely damage free and will venture out to thwart the Japanese advances. Here is the list of the striken (minus the two that were sunk obviously).

All other ships are loading up fuel and heading out to the slaughter. I don't expect many to make it. I do want to burn the fields and bridges behind us as the Japanese advance, so as much fuel and oil as I can take will be removed.

I'm linking Boise, Houston and the Manila DDs up and sending them to Balikpapan. I'll then see where the Japanese air power is before utilising their skill set!

The B-17s are on Mindanao at Del Monte for a proposed strike to Babeldaob. I've also turned some Chinese bombers on Taihoku, hitting the oil, but it's a bit of a crap shoot if they're strike anything. More to let him know all targets will be considered from day 1, and he'll need to think of CAPing everywhere. I'll be halving the Chinese airforce in China ASAP. Sending a bunch to India.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/052414C01CCD49AFA1F5546065901F5D.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/21/2017 1:51:39 PM)

Dec 8, 1941

SUBS: My subs swarm the KB without contact. More flood out into the South China Sea and we'll know in a day or two if they'll be any use there. A Japanese sub ends up one hex from the Lex TF near Wake, which is unnerving, but it seems as if it hasn't seen us yet. No detection on the TF. I'll vector around if possible tomorrow.

PACIFIC: The KB does not strike on day 2 at PH. This is a positive. The sacrificial DDs are put down in summary fashion in two strikes. No other events in the Pacific. I'm considering some unorthodox moves here though. The KB only travels 4-5 hexes from yesterday, and it's now quite far behind the Allied CVs moving into the Central Pacific (if its headed that way) and they have no detection on us.

I might move to near Marcus to see what's happening out there. There is a chance to hit the Wake invasion if placed well and with surprise, or go further even toward the Marianas. It all depends on if he uses air search around here or not, I guess, and how quickly he commits to those destinations. I'll send some subs out from the PI to see if they can spot anything out there.

PI: No bombing today which is strange. No sweeps. A day to recover.

The B-17s are hit at Del Monte though. A CL led TF bombards after eating up a couple of xAKLs on the way. Not too many ships lost though, and it looks like there may be an interaction, possibly, tomorrow. The Boise may be involved! [:)]

CHINA: The little surprise trying to hit Tiahoku doesn't come off as some Nates cover. He also bombs the Wenchow fields. I'm thinking he knows my tendencies! [;)] I'll have to change it up a bit now and get creative.

He's not bombing troops much here yet. Only 1E work. So many of them are in the clear they are pretty vulnerable right now.

SIGINT: Looks like the 20th infantry is prepping for Mauban. Must mean landing there, although he didn't need to prep with the invasion bonus. We'll see if it's real soon. Reports show units are heading for Legaspi.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 8, 41

Night Naval bombardment of Cagayan at 79,89

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 17 damaged
B-17D Fortress: 1 destroyed on ground

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara
DD Shiokaze
DD Suzukaze
DD Umikaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Yamakaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Yukikaze

Allied ground losses:
105 casualties reported
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 11 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Manpower hits 6
Fires 439
Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 38
Port hits 11

E7K2 Alf acting as spotter for CL Nagara

Day Time Surface Combat, near Laoag at 81,72, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
TB Chidori
TB Manazuru
TB Hatsukari
TB Tomozuru, Shell hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Scout, Shell hits 1
DD Thanet, Shell hits 1, on fire
DM Thracian, Shell hits 2

Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions: 30,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 17,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 11,000 yards
DM Thracian engages TB Tomozuru at 11,000 yards

Morning Air attack on Taihoku , at 87,63

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 34 NM, estimated altitude 4,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 6

Allied aircraft
DB-3M x 4
SB-III x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
DB-3M: 3 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x DB-3M bombing from 2000 feet *
City Attack: 5 x 100 kg GP Bomb
1 x DB-3M bombing from 2000 feet *
City Attack: 5 x 100 kg GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
4th Sentai Det B with Ki-27b Nate (1 airborne, 2 on standby, 3 scrambling)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 5000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes

Morning Air attack on Babeldaob , at 90,97

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 9

Allied aircraft
B-17D Fortress x 7

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 3 damaged
B-17D Fortress: 1 destroyed by flak

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-17D Fortress bombing from 8000 feet *
Port Attack: 4 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Here is the KB.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/E9B5CA0ACD5541639BE56B7288B5BA8B.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/23/2017 6:59:32 AM)

I forget how horrific the first days of war are for the Allies. It's the usual carnage around the PI. Several CL led TFs tear into the lost sheep from Manila. I've staggered some of the high value AO and AS, so we'll see if a few can make it through later, after the ammo is expended from the first rounds here.

Just missed heading a few off with Boise and Houston. Damn.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/C1BEB25325274C24A138AEA99930D10C.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/23/2017 7:01:33 AM)

Here's the toll for the first massacre. There will be more!

[image]local://upfiles/37283/E0EC10E3184C4F8D89BFC23E3CEB55A0.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/23/2017 10:51:08 AM)

Dec 9, 1941

SUBS: Lots of activity, lots of misses, but I'm taking a slightly different tack on expectations for subs. I want them to provide information that can help get other forces, sea or air, in line to fight, or out of danger.

Right now they're keeping good tabs on Japanese movements and identifying ship type and concentrations.

In the Central Pacific they've been invaluable and will get more important as I try something bold. [:)]

PACIFIC: The KB continues to hang around PH and I think he's manoeuvring for another strike. I hope the AA and fighters will be somewhat recovered by tomorrow. I've imported some P-39s here but they're repairing VERY slowly right now. Really poor plane service at PH and everything just seems so slow. All of those engineers and not much getting fixed.

Lowpe sent in a few A6M sweeps which didn't help matters either. Those did well and sent most of the P-40s that survived into repair. Yikes.

I've sent PBYs to Palmyra, Nauru, Wake, and Guam!! [:)]

This is making me happy, even if it does little to thwart Japanese advances. I'll see if they can spot for the CVs which are also moving out into the wilds. The Lex picked up Wildcats from Wake and is moving that general direction, but out of fighter range form Roi Namur. I know the Netties could still bust through the early CAP, so it's fingers crossed times.

Logistics:

The South Pacific starts with almost no fuel or supply. I've sent supply with all available short range ships in OZ to the important spots, including Suva, Noumea, Efate, and Pago. The long range TK/AK/AP all head to Cape Town.

From the US several tanker TFs are already steaming SW. A few are also heading with fuel and supply up North. I've sent troops and some engineers here as well. If we can dig in over the winter, get there before the Japanese, then it will be tough to root us out. I'll aim to invest up to Adak for now but may add some small units farther forward as they become available.

I just noticed that all troops on Tasmania are free to move, so these are heading into the So Pac area to begin preparing bases.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 9, 41

Night Naval bombardment of Taytay at 75,82

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 31 damaged
A6M2 Zero: 5 destroyed on ground
E13A1 Jake: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
CA Houston
CL Boise
DD Pope
DD Pillsbury
DD Peary
DD John D. Ford

Japanese ground losses:
373 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 23 disabled

Guns lost 13 (4 destroyed, 9 disabled)

Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 12
Runway hits 40
Port hits 25
Port supply hits 1

CA Houston firing at Taytay
CL Boise firing at Taytay

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 25,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18

Allied aircraft
P-26A x 1
P-36A Mohawk x 3
P-40B Warhawk x 19
P-40E Warhawk x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-26A: 1 destroyed
P-36A Mohawk: 1 destroyed
P-40B Warhawk: 4 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

Raid detected at 43 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18

Allied aircraft
P-40B Warhawk x 3
P-40E Warhawk x 1

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-40B Warhawk: 2 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

I can't imagine that the oilers are so close to the KB, the TF just to the North there is not the KB or the SCTF. So ... when the KB moves up there for the next day, is that it getting fuel? I'll vector subs in.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/9C6CF0B08DE3457098A27C20EAA4DB79.jpg[/image]

witpqs -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/23/2017 1:23:50 PM)

The dates are a little confusing here. [:'(]

quote:

Dec 9, 1941

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 1, 42

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/23/2017 1:49:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

The dates are a little confusing here. [:'(]

quote:

Dec 9, 1941

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 1, 42

Thanks!

Template. Changed it up. [:)]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/23/2017 2:53:25 PM)

PACIFIC:

This is the first time Guam has really played a part for me on either side of the board in the early game. Kind of fun to have eyes out here, and the Cats can scratch, too![;)]

I've got the small 3 plane group on naval strike for tomorrow and the big one on search. I could do it the other way around but don't want to get caught in a CAP situation and lose a whole group, and also want to see more than anything. It looks like I'll have two days to get to the TF up near Agrihan if they're heading for Guam.

I know how strapped Japan is for airframes and fighter groups at this point. He can bring in more, but that means he'l be tighter in the DEI, and I just nailed a group with the USN on the ground, so he's already going to be low for a bit. I haven't seen the Oscars doing much yet. They have the range to get out here so that might be something to look for next.

This place is in a two day strike range of the Lex if I decide to give the go ahead. Fun times. [8D]

[image]local://upfiles/37283/BC0578D1394E4E2594F19D0131FA1ADE.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/24/2017 10:15:18 AM)

Dec 10, 1941

PACIFIC: The KB strikes again!! [:(][X(]

It's only Kates this time and the 800kg bombs that do punch through BB armor. Luckily not all groups carry them this day, but it looks bad watching the replay. I'm a little unsure why AA is performing so poorly. He's flying at 13k, well within range of the operational (on my count) 92 3inch AA guns here. Seems like more than 2 Kates should be shot down at 13k, no?

The units are a bit fatigued, morale isn't great and the some of the leaders have suspect value, so that is probably contributing. The fighters strength at PH is very, very slowly repairing. I've got two full P-39 groups but only a few planes are repaired. One day the repair facilities will be fixed and the planes will get back to action more quickly, hopefully. Will it be in time to save the fleet?

The upside is the BBs are taking their hits like champs. A bit of difference in major float damage, but the fact they are in shipyards and pierside mean it's tough to actually sink them right now. Tennessee has had around 100 days added to repair time, and that is significant, but the VPs are also important, and having the BBs in the late stages is very useful. Hope this doesn't keep going for a week, but it looks like it could!

I've sent out PTs to try to disrupt the KB, sent a DMs to drop mines on likely retreat spots (and then head to Midway to lead a resupply AG to Wake, if that is still possible), and vectored subs all over the spot where the KB is currently having out. Some S-boats are oh-so-slowly making their way from SF, so if those with working fish arrive in time it could offer a rude surprise to the IJN. So there are some hopeful rays shining through the smoke and debris at Pearl.

The longer he stays, the more I can do in Cent Pac and So Pac as well. [:)]

[image]local://upfiles/37283/E84EAD73BA9F415BAE2970CD121B9F35.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/24/2017 11:06:58 AM)

Dec 10, 1941

PACIFIC: Here are the damage screens from a few days ago and now. Not too bad on the surface, but of course in the details the major damage going up and devices being destroyed makes a big difference in repair time.

So miraculously the total damage hasn't increased a lot for any of the BBs, but the major damage did go up.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 10, 41

Raid detected at 111 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 47 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 69
B5N2 Kate x 68

Allied aircraft
P-36A Mohawk x 2
P-39D Airacobra x 1
P-40B Warhawk x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
B5N2 Kate: 5 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40B Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 7, heavy damage
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 3, heavy damage
DM Preble, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
BB California, Bomb hits 3
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 3
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 5, heavy damage

Port hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 13000 feet
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
18 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 13000 feet
11 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 13000 feet
City Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
17 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 13000 feet
13 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 13000 feet

Afternoon Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 84 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 35 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 51
B5N2 Kate x 71

Allied aircraft
P-36A Mohawk x 1
P-40B Warhawk x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 8 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses

Allied Ships
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 6, heavy damage
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
CL Helena, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB California, Bomb hits 7
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DM Gamble, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Alchiba, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Narwhal, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage

Port hits 4
Port fuel hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 13000 feet
26 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 13000 feet
26 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 13000 feet
6 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 13000 feet
4 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 13000 feet

[image]local://upfiles/37283/36E99173DEB34E96B11601D5EE2DDCB4.jpg[/image]

witpqs -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/24/2017 3:57:18 PM)

The fender and body shops are going to be busy for a while! This is Babes, right? Many of the support and AA units at PH start with low morale and at least some with a bunch of disabled squads/devices. But you only need a couple of fighter planes if you can get Rafe into one!!!
quote:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 10, 42

I agree - in 1942, a full year after the initial Pearl Harbor attack the US flak should be performing better!

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/24/2017 5:16:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

The fender and body shops are going to be busy for a while! This is Babes, right? Many of the support and AA units at PH start with low morale and at least some with a bunch of disabled squads/devices. But you only need a couple of fighter planes if you can get Rafe into one!!!
quote:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 10, 42

I agree - in 1942, a full year after the initial Pearl Harbor attack the US flak should be performing better!

HAHA!!! you're so good.

This is all adapted form my last Allied game template and I just forgot to change the little stuff. Like the year! [:D]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) (3/24/2017 8:39:56 PM)

Dec 10, 1941

PI: Surprisingly a few of the tiny merchants and even some of the more expensive support ships form Manila make it through the gauntlet. Here is a pic of the area. The Allied naval strength will gather near Balikpapan for an intended strike in 2-3 days on Tanay field and whatever ships are in the area. This could include some big boys if the situation is right, but I'll need to sweep some subs out of here too. I've got about half the FP on the cruisers doing ASW and a few LBA units, but of course nothing is trained at this point.

The B-17s will be bought out and moved back to Java. So far nothing more has been sweeping Clark, which is interesting.

I'm curious when the invasions that usually go to Legaspi the East of the PI will land. Nothing there so far.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/90944F7D2A4D41DCB723C36DC11FE3E3.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI